Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/Routes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

john boye wrote: »
    I've now seen and heard that EI are less than impressed with the Leap in 4 different places. Some of those 4 could be discounted as unreliable though but some I would call reliable. Could just be stories growing legs though.
    The problem with looking at multiple sources is that rumours can get inflated.
    Three times in the last 2-3 years I've seen speculation from boards.ie getting posted as fact on airliners.net and Facebook. (in relations to Las route, expansion plans and the A350 order)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Locker10a wrote: »
    Absolutely, many airport planners didn’t have the same foresight namely Heathrow

Or LGW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Tenger wrote: »
    The problem with looking at multiple sources is that rumours can get inflated.
    Three times in the last 2-3 years I've seen speculation from boards.ie getting posted as fact on airliners.net and Facebook. (in relations to Las route, expansion plans and the A350 order)

Yes, my point exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

EchoIndia wrote: »
    It would have been a white elephant if built on that scale a few decades ago, though it's instructive to recall that runway 10/28 opened 30 years ago this year. Actually, I think the foresight of those who in the 1960s earmarked the land that would be needed for an unimaginable expansion by the standards of that time should be applauded.

I agree re. the land reservation. Unusual forethought for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Runway stuff -> Infrastructure thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it's in the Mail, every element of it is hyperbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Cloudio9 wrote: »

Thanks for this. I was impressed they even used a plane with the latest paintings in the article!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thanks for this. I was impressed they even used a plane with the latest paintings in the article!

Indeed.....knowing the DM it could have been a 1-11.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Comhra wrote: »
    Indeed.....knowing the DM it could have been a 1-11.

I’m surprised the DM didn’t mention passengers hearing an explosion or the aircraft narrowly missing a school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Has anyone an idea if Aer Lingus are short on aircraft in Cork or whats the story?

Background is that the wife and 2 kids need a one way to Ireland, to cork preferably as thats where they will be at christmas so going direct would be great even if theres a little premium on prices.

With aer lingus, the Munich-Cork flight is an eyewatering €143 one way per person (thats €429 for adult and 2 kids) - and has been in that price region all summer.
    In comparison its just €40 per person one way (€120 for all 3) to fly to Dublin with Aerlingus or Ryanair and even Lufthansa isnt much more expensive. Indeed, an aircoach and maybe night in hotel may be needed but that'd be €100 tops, still leaving a €200 difference just to get from A to B.

Surely to god if theres such demand for a flight that they can extract that sort of cash, they would add extra flights, or have they just no planes/ capacity to spare in Cork ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,690 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Has anyone an idea if Aer Lingus are short on aircraft in Cork or whats the story?

Background is that the wife and 2 kids need a one way to Ireland, to cork preferably as thats where they will be at christmas so going direct would be great even if theres a little premium on prices.

With aer lingus, the Munich-Cork flight is an eyewatering €143 one way per person (thats €429 for adult and 2 kids) - and has been in that price region all summer.
    In comparison its just €40 per person one way (€120 for all 3) to fly to Dublin with Aerlingus or Ryanair and even Lufthansa isnt much more expensive. Indeed, an aircoach and maybe night in hotel may be needed but that'd be €100 tops, still leaving a €200 difference just to get from A to B.

Surely to god if theres such demand for a flight that they can extract that sort of cash, they would add extra flights, or have they just no planes/ capacity to spare in Cork ?

Cork-Munich is mostly block booked by ski operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Competition Vs no competition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

A combination of the busiest travel period of they year, and flying a niche route between a hub and relatively small city. The fact it’s also been mentioned that many of the seats may have already been block booked for skiing means the flight could technically be quite full already so you’re getting the high fare category

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

To be honest I think 143 one way adult peak season is a bargain, but maybe that's just me, this route is a thin marginal route aimed at winter sports passengers , the pay 143 fir a pair of ski boots !

Best take Dub option then bus, kids will enjoy it so long as they have wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

if they are getting that kind of fare surprised FR arent doing it too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

trellheim wrote: »
    if they are getting that kind of fare surprised FR arent doing it too

Ryanair wouldn’t do the deal with the ski tour operators so wouldn’t have that buffer to sell at 143. The demand without it might be limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

With the winter timetable coming up, I wonder will we see a ramp up in aircraft being painted in the new livery.

I know they plan to do them as needed but I think they said all done by end of 2021?

That’s 27 months and they have about 35 aircraft left to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sandbelter

Interesting comment from American's MD of EMEA sales re its future JV with EI

"While American does fly to a handful of other destinations within the UK, it sees the next big growth opportunity in nearby Dublin (DUB), where it hopes Aer Lingus will join its transatlantic Joint Venture as soon as possible. The airline has slowly been increasing capacity to Dublin and hopes to build another hub there to allow Aer Lingus to then connect passengers onto other destinations in Europe."

Source: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/aa-keeping-first-class-to-lhr/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

€120 though, in my opinion, is more than worthwhile for the sheer hassle and time of getting down from Dublin. An overnight will cost a good €100 to €150... taxi or public transport to/from the hotel and back to the Aircoach... transport at the Cork end and the loss of an entire day.

Use the best flight route, within reason I reckon. For just me I put a premium of €150 on going to Dublin for a flight. ie: if the Cork flight is less than 150 more than Dublin, I'll go Cork for the sheer effort, time and ancillary expenses. Even driving and parking for a week is easily €100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

€120 though, in my opinion, is more than worthwhile for the sheer hassle and time of getting down from Dublin. An overnight will cost a good €100 to €150... taxi or public transport to/from the hotel and back to the Aircoach... transport at the Cork end and the loss of an entire day.

Use the best flight route, within reason I reckon. For just me I put a premium of €150 on going to Dublin for a flight. ie: if the Cork flight is less than 150 more than Dublin, I'll go Cork for the sheer effort, time and ancillary expenses. Even driving and parking for a week is easily €100.

I'm scratching my head reading that reply. The OP has stated that the flights to DUB are €309 cheaper than to ORK. Aircoach leave every hour from DUB to Cork City and other companies on that route also, so hotel not necessary. Parking doesn't apply here.

Take away the cost of bus tickets and there is still a saving of over €270. Sure, it is inconvenient to have another 3.5 hours on a bus after a flight but we've all done worse than sit on a bus to earn less.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    With the winter timetable coming up, I wonder will we see a ramp up in aircraft being painted in the new livery.

I know they plan to do them as needed but I think they said all done by end of 2021?

That’s 27 months and they have about 35 aircraft left to do.

Therd is a plan to do a good few,however with ageing fleet and base maintenance overruns it may not go exactly to plan.

In even better news,Rutter is gone

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Therd is a plan to do a good few,however with ageing fleet and base maintenance overruns it may not go exactly to plan.

Is it still about 6 parked up during quiet periods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Bussywussy wrote: »
    In even better news,Rutter is gone

Gone gone? Left the company??

That’s very sudden and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

All very suspicious. Some cleaning house going on??

OU812 wrote: »
    All very suspicious. Some cleaning house going on??

Surly the A321 issues are a major factor.

How he was hired given the track record at Flybe was always questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Apparently he had some not very complementary things to say about EI pilots during the week.

• Advertisement

Apparently he had some not very complementary things to say about EI pilots during the week.

I heard something bad was said too but didn't know it was him,good riddance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement