Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I saw in Last Sunday's Independent the wages of the great and gifted. What I could not believe is that Marian Finnucane is getting 300k for a part time gig. Marian is 68 I think and has not done a full week time show for 10ish years. She must have signed some contract back 10+ years ago. Tubs is on 500K another stand out wage is Arcy's he is on 450K this is 50K higher than 2015. The duffer is on 390K while O'Rourke and Leggy O'Callaghen are both like MF on about 300K. The rest of the top 10 are all on around 200K.

You would wonder what the next 50 or so earners are on 100K+?. How many in RTE earn the average industrial wage of sub 40K the odd cleaner maybe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I saw in Last Sunday's Independent the wages of the great and gifted. What I could not believe is that Marian Finnucane is getting 300k for a part time gig. Marian is 68 I think and has not done a full week time show for 10ish years. She must have signed some contract back 10+ years ago. Tubs is on 500K another stand out wage is Arcy's he is on 450K this is 50K higher than 2015. The duffer is on 390K while O'Rourke and Leggy O'Callaghen are both like MF on about 300K. The rest of the top 10 are all on around 200K.

You would wonder what the next 50 or so earners are on 100K+?. How many in RTE earn the average industrial wage of sub 40K the odd cleaner maybe

Not even a part time job for Finnucane,off nearly as often as she's on,but at least she's a good interviewer when she does turn up.
    Unlike the dour O'Callaghan, the paint by numbers O'Rourke and the misery chaser Duffy.
    Radio one really is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Don't know why people get so hung up about the LLS - even if it was twice as good as it is, I still wouldn't be watching it.

The major problem is its replicating something that the commercial sector already provides. It's simple not something a public service provider need to be doing.

Same with 2FM and multiple other RTE-produced shows.

We're paying a kings ransom to replicate what we'd get for free anyway if you were into that kind of ****e.

I'd strip it right down to it's barebones. One radio and TV channel providing a quality news and public service remit and let all the 300k plus 'talent' make their way in the private sector.

A €40 a year tv license would be plenty to fund this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Next time Tubridy's contract is up for renewal, they should offer him 150k, let him leave if he wants. Where would he go? The best he could get would be more irregular cover work on BBC R2 or a daytime show on virgin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Doblin wrote: »
    Next time Tubridy's contract is up for renewal, they should offer him 150k, let him leave if he wants. Where would he go? The best he could get would be more irregular cover work on BBC R2 or a daytime show on virgin.

If the Brits wanted the clown he'd be gone by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

If the Brits wanted the clown he'd be gone by now.

Don't forget he stood in for both Graham Norton and Chris Evans radio shows on the BBC in 2011 & 2012.

I don't think they want him.

Don't forget he stood in for both Graham Norton and Chris Evans radio shows on the BBC in 2011 & 2012.

I don't think they want him.

British BBC Radio 2 listeners didn't seem to keen on him, they were writing on the BBC R2 Facebook page that he talked to fast.

Imagine if the government had agreed to give RTE the 55 million licence fee increase, the amount of shìt they'd be wasting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,063 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Rte are actively advertising only 2 jobs at the moment - an audience insight analyst and a cello section leader for one of the orchestras.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1476867570
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1476866716

Both have wage ranges given, which are probably at the lower end of the average in the place. Presumably they are not hiring for any non-technical/skilled jobs as these are passed on to the dee forbes gardeners brother in law's daughter or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

retalivity wrote: »
    Rte are actively advertising only 2 jobs at the moment - an audience insight analyst and a cello section leader for one of the orchestras.

"We should definitely be funding two orchestras", said nobody ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

If Tubridy really believes this is magical for the rest of us, he is deluded. Of course, it is very magical for Tubridy himself: it means to him nearly 500K a year so he isn't overly concerned about presenting a show even he knows is cr@p.

A lot of things probably seem magical to Tubs; he probably still searches behind his ear trying to find where his uncle pulled that 20p from!
    Imagine if the government had agreed to give RTE the 55 million licence fee increase, the amount of shìt they'd be wasting it on.

Oh give it 4 years and they would be back in the red again, with the hands out looking for more. The last few months should have been a wake up call for RTE to start streamlining, cutting the faff and making a leaner organisation.

But...no.....it just means they need more funding, they cant be at fault or have made terrible financial decisions! Its everyone elses fault!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

retalivity wrote: »

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1476867570
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1476866716

Both have wage ranges given, which are probably at the lower end of the average in the place. Presumably they are not hiring for any non-technical/skilled jobs as these are passed on to the dee forbes gardeners brother in law's daughter or whatever
    I was just going to say, that you never see many jobs advertised by RTE. For an employer of nearly 2000, how many of those jobs were even publically advertised?

Surely nearly all the jobs of a public broadcaster should be advertised to the general public to apply for. Yet with RTE we have a situation where people are often given jobs out of the blue that they are not even qualified for. Most likely in a back room because they are cousins/neighbours/went to school with the right people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I was just going to say, that you never see many jobs advertised by RTE. For an employer of nearly 2000, how many of those jobs were even publically advertised?

Surely nearly all the jobs of a public broadcaster should be advertised to the general public to apply for. Yet with RTE we have a situation where people are often given jobs out of the blue that they are not even qualified for. Most likely in a back room because they are cousins/neighbours/went to school with the right people.

Considering how nepotistic RTE is, I imagine those jobs, those TWO jobs, have already been filled.

RTE, like any business, 'legally' have to advertise the job positions.

But that doesn't stop someone from giving the job away already. To someone with a connection to RTE.

UTV IReland was a crapfest, for sure-but they hired a lot of people and gave them a leg up in the industry, when others wouldn't. Even TV3/ Virgin Media hire you based on how well you fit into the company.

RTE...screw it, you've got a third generation relative in RTE? Fair dues. You're hired.

Off topic, but how the hell does Keith Barry keep getting work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Most of it's programming is farmed out to small producers, many of whom are exRTE or are connected to RTE, because it's the easiest way to avoid unions, because doing anything the RTE way is unionised to the death and it costs a fortune to do any kind of an outside broadcast if you have unions involved. As an example, when a reporter is doing a report from outside Govt Buildings, say, he is facing one cameraperson and carries the mike him or herself. Not that long ago, that required, in RTE land, a cameraman, a sound operator and at least two others for general hod-carrying and tea-making and it was an inflexible ordeal and it cost a fortune in overtime, subsistence allowances and so on. RTE eventually managed to pare that down to what has become the industry standard of two person but it took years and a lot of payoffs to get it in, well after the competition had it working. There's still a bit of it going on, when you see an RTE reporter standing alongside a TG 4 person, standing alongside an RnaG person, all commenting on the same event and location, when one reporter would do. Dee Forbes would be better served if she tackled the unions on wasteful behaviour, but that would require RTE management to grow a pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

UTV IReland was a crapfest, for sure-but they hired a lot of people and gave them a leg up in the industry, when others wouldn't. Even TV3/ Virgin Media hire you based on how well you fit into the company.

Was it really a crapfest or did TV3's friends in the media portray it as that, because there is little difference between UTV Ireland and Virgin Media one.

Elmo wrote: »
    Was it really a crapfest or did TV3's friends in the media portray it as that, because there is little difference between UTV Ireland and Virgin Media one.

The thing about utv Ireland was, it just seemed so lazy, e.g shutting down for the night and switching to teleshopping from 11pm.. Totally agree that TV3/virgin 123 is crap too tho.

Elmo wrote: »

Sadly, yeah. They had the soap operas, and that was it.

You'd never tune into it outside of that. And nobody did. TV3 (at the time) decided to up their game.... even if they shamefully abandoned their new projects when UTV went bust. (Red Rock had strong ratings, so letting the show die was a blinkered choice-but once they had corrie and emmerdale, they didn't need to spend money).

There's a signifcant difference-mainly what VM1 dumps on Virgin Media 3 or whatever, was the main lineup on UTV.
    The thing about utv Ireland was, it just seemed so lazy, e.g shutting down for the night and switching to teleshopping from 11pm.. Totally agree that TV3/virgin 123 is crap too tho.

Well, RTE seem determined to compete with them in terms of the s***e they like to pump out.(Pulling with your parents- who the hell commissioned that and thought the TV license was worth it?)

I was watching Line of Duty last night on RTE 2 after the football. I had already seen the episode but its an enjoyable show, but had to turn it off about half way through to go to bed. It started at 10.45 on RTE 2.

RTE bought it from BBC. On BBC it aired at 9pm on if memory serves me, BBC2. Having gone to the bother and expense of buying a hit TV drama from the UK, why in the name of jaysus do they put it on at a time when most people who have to get up in the morning are going to bed?

RTE's main problem is a mismanagement of funds, buying the wrong thing and wasting money trying to compete with other stations. Meanwhile inhouse developed content has been dwindling for years.

I was watching Line of Duty last night on RTE 2 after the football. I had already seen the episode but its an enjoyable show, but had to turn it off about half way through to go to bed. It started at 10.45 on RTE 2.

RTE bought it from BBC. On BBC it aired at 9pm on if memory serves me, BBC2. Having gone to the bother and expense of buying a hit TV drama from the UK, why in the name of jaysus do they put it on at a time when most people who have to get up in the morning are going to bed?

RTE's main problem is a mismanagement of funds, buying the wrong thing and wasting money trying to compete with other stations. Meanwhile inhouse developed content has been dwindling for years.

It was due to start at 10:15 up against another BBC crime show on ONE, don't know why it end up at 10:45!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

You get overnight repeats of Line of Duty & Peaky Blinders on BBC Four. But again most people would be in bed because the BBC put those shows on much later at night than RTE does with it's late night schedules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE, like any business, 'legally' have to advertise the job positions

Do they?

So you're saying Lottie Ryan applied for a job that was open to everyone and got it?

Balls. There was no job advert. She got it cos her dad is an Rte legend. And she is rubbish at the job, but that doesn't matter. At Rte they don't measure whether you are good at your job or not.

And didn't some guy out of love island get a gig on the breakfast show? Think I read that the other day too. Just handed to him.

Ray D'Arcy apply for his 450k job? They begged him to come. "the jobs yours if you want it".

Rte isn't like any other employer.

Look at TodayFM a few weeks back, they got shot of a few djs. No warning. Just "sorry don't need you any more".

When was the last time an Rte dj was given the chop?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do they?

So you're saying Lottie Ryan applied for a job that was open to everyone and got it?

Balls. There was no job advert. She got it cos her dad is an Rte legend. And she is rubbish at the job, but that doesn't matter. At Rte they don't measure whether you are good at your job or not.

And didn't some guy out of love island get a gig on the breakfast show? Think I read that the other day too. Just handed to him.

I don't think it is illegal not to adverstise a job, perhaps for a public body like RTÉ. The filler in should have been taken from within the staff currently at RTÉ the job was created for the Love Island guy. for example Eoghan is presenting the show this week on his own. Why do they need 2 presenters even?
    Ray D'Arcy apply for his 450k job? They begged him to come. "the jobs yours if you want it".

Look at TodayFM a few weeks back, they got shot of a few djs. No warning. Just "sorry don't need you any more".

This is the sector not just RTÉ, I doubt Newstalk advertised Pat Kenny's job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have no doubt Newstalk didn't advertise PK's job.

I was only answering the statement that Rte have to advertise jobs, when they don't.

Apparently you wouldn't be able to get talent like Lottie Ryan or Ray D'Arcy if you opened a job to the entire population of the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I have no doubt Newstalk didn't advertise PK's job.

I was only answering the statement that Rte have to advertise jobs, when they don't.

Apparently you wouldn't be able to get talent like Lottie Ryan or Ray D'Arcy if you opened a job to the entire population of the country!

Dont forget the baby from Glenroe thats now grown up to present the Lotto, she'll literally be at the broadcaster from womb to tomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Years ago they'd a show were you competed to become an RTE TV presenter. There were many legit media students and actresses and the like on it. Yer wan who won, (Caroline Morahan) had had a part on Fair City years previous, was in a failed girl band ran by your wan from Lillie's Bordello and was well connected with the production company. Basically the show was baloney, which I wouldn't mind except for all the poor legit people thinking they'd a chance at a job.

Years ago they'd a show were you competed to become an RTE TV presenter. There were many legit media students and actresses and the like on it. Yer wan who won, (Caroline Morahan) had had a part on Fair City years previous, was in a failed girl band ran by your wan from Lillie's Bordello and was well connected with the production company. Basically the show was baloney, which I wouldn't mind except for all the poor legit people thinking they'd a chance at a job.

The selection box! Wasn’t she also a niece of Terry Wogan.

Do they?

You curiously cut out one line in my original post to make your point look a little stronger. I hope you saw what I originally posted.I put it in bold

As for the last time a DJ got fired? Well, it was less a DJ, and more a presenter. RTE cut ties with Michael Ryan, who presented Nationwide. He got replaced by Anne Cassin.

Considering how nepotistic RTE is, I imagine those jobs, those TWO jobs, have already been filled.

RTE, like any business, 'legally' have to advertise the job positions.

But that doesn't stop someone from giving the job away already. To someone with a connection to RTE.

As I noted-yeah, they 'advertise it', but its already been filled-long before the position is advertised.

As for the Love ISland dude-he's doing fill ins for Eoghan while Eoghan's away. Looks like his agent swung it for him. (the Love ISland dude I mean).
    RTE trying to cash in on the Love ISland interest explains the choice there. But it's not a permanent gig.

The Fame Game. With early appearances from Karen Koster, and few others. TV3 did one years back, for a new presenter on Xpose, and it was pretty much made up of discarded RTE presenters, and discarded RTE interns. Sean Musanje won, but he'd also been a presenter on RTE. (He was let go after 12 months).

The only one who got continuous work was one of the ones who was kicked out early. She got gigs on Xpose years after, as well as another gig on RTE's The Movie Show-the sh**e one with Eoghan and Mairead Ronan.
    It was axed early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

I just noticed RTE 1 are repeating episodes of the awful All Round To Mrs Brown's. There is nothing wrong with repeats of current programmes a second night in the week so would not have any objection with BBC repeating Peaky Blinders and the like (and besides, this is a good show) but Mrs Brown, Room To Improve, Rachel Allen and At Your Service? No.

A lot of people made good points that other Irish TV channels were just as bad. When ITV decided to have their shortlived Irish channel, it copied RTE complete with chatshows of their style fronted by RTE veteran Pat Kenny. TV3 and Virgin are the same. Suppose you had a chatshow from both Kenny on say Virgin 1 and Tubridy on RTE 1 going up against each other on Friday @ 9.30PM. The 2 presenters would be the same with their plummy uppercrust accents and pontificating self styled philosophy. Tubridy would be just a sillier and occasionally smuttier version of Kenny.

This whole obsession with Love Island in RTE is more of it. Virgin show it and RTE then keep it going. This seems to be some sort of a prearranged deal. What ever is the case, this overrated smutty drivel should be long forgotten about by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

All summer long RTE have been "bigging up" Love Island. Are they hoping to screen it sometime soon? Or, are they trying to attract listeners cos it's popular?

Ray Darcy, for one. "Ah shur I hate that kind of thing but Jenny said "Watch a bit" and then I was hooked". Right

Tubridy's kids got him into it. Of course, he'd never have watched it , only for that.

Sean O Rourke only got into it when he heard about the "Fanny Flutters".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That's rte pretending to be "with it"when they've got no clue

Advertisement