Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

RTE apparently had the GAA schedule the all Ireland replay so it wouldnt class with horse racing and greyhound racing (yes greyhound racing, that old gem they condemmend to death a few months back in a documentary)

What next, will they move Dancing With The Stars if it clashes with the darts?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fans-anger-as-allireland-replay-is-made-to-wait-for-racing-to-finish-on-rt-38490917.html

Whats on RTE2?
    Didn't even know they showed greyhound racing on tv to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why isn't the match on Sunday?

Can anyone tell me what is the point of RTE Live on the player?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

kneemos wrote: »
    Why isn't the match on Sunday?

The Ladies finals are on Sunday.

So refugees and the dire woes of RTE - make for interesting viewing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Here we go

Moving to a greenfield site has been ruled out

By who and why?

Was a fair segment to be fair
    But Prime Time asking RTE to represent themselves and being turned down made me lol - you know this is your program???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A representative refused to appear on their own ****ing programme!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

'We asked a representative from RTE to appear on our program, but they declined...'

Fer the love of F***, YOU ARE A REPRESENTATIVE OF RTE!!! JEsus.... and they say RTE can't do comedy....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Apparently they will withdraw services, oh no please don't.

Also, anyone think RTE shot themselves in the foot with the 'this lass has a projector, so doesn't have to pay the TV license'...

If I was sitting there, I'd be like 'Oh really? A projector, and I don't have to pay for this crap? Score!'

Get yourself a projector folks. Save money.

another pig at the trough defending the indefensible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Lorraine Courtney making complete sense on Prime Time just now.

Effectively said that the license fee is a complete sham and a disgrace that there’s a threat of jail for non-payment and RTE should be made a subscription service. Let it live or die on the service it provides and it’s appeal to the public.

Surprised they allowed her airtime.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Apparently they will withdraw services, oh no please don't.

QuestionableNimbleAchillestang-max-1mb.gif

Ten Pin wrote: »
    So Miriam, what ya think, it's either you or Lyric, we can't keep the two of ye...

I'd say Miriam but does anyone actually listen to Lyric? Ignore the makey uppey figures that include the same people multiple times

Hell do we have to make a choice - get rid of both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

Angela Scanlon also tried to break the UK... she's stuck in an Post adverts now.
    Wonder how long until RTE 'decide' to give her another show?

She was hosting the 7 o’clock show on BBC the other night so seems to be hanging in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

fritzelly wrote: »
    I'd say Miriam but does anyone actually listen to Lyric? Ignore the makey uppey figures that include the same people multiple times

We need to break it down into the hierachy of cuts. Marian i think is on top of that for me only because of the 4hours a week, the smokers cough, and the very large salary.

After that then, its a tie up between Ray and Tubs. I recon trial by combat is the way to go here.

After that then we can cull the radio stations and any of Gerry Ryan's children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I listen to Lyric.
    It's something that RTE do very well.

elperello wrote: »
    I listen to Lyric.
    It's something that RTE do very well.

39,999 more people to go...

• Advertisement

39,999 more people to go...

Very good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The cuts need to be ruthless, and why they won't be done. It'll just end up getting more tax payer's money somehow.

Example given by McCulloch at the end. They wanted to ditch LW252 to save money.

There was uproar and they had to back down. For a service maybe a few hundred listen to.

You can imagine if they try to get rid of lyric, gold, half of 2fm staff etc.

Problem I find with these Lyric, Gold etc is it's just the same music regurgitated week after week. Lyric and Gold are pretty much someone just selecting the next track and playing it but probably paid a fortune for doing that
    Cannot remember which station but plays jazzy/50's/60's music but I swear the play order is the same every time I listen to it

I'm not a regular listener to Gold but I can confirm that Lyric is not the same music regurgitated week after week. There are some popular pieces that get played more often than others but that is quite common with any music genre.

Putting together a good music programme is a bit of an art form. It's not as simple as just playing any random bit of music. Getting the right balance of well known artists and introducing the listener to newer perhaps challenging musical experiences is where a good presenter can make all the difference.

But there is not the population in Ireland to have a station to suit everyone's taste
    These outlier stations are just a money drain for the listenership they have - if you want blues or jazz or something more out there there are a multitude of free stations online for it.

I understand that Lyric costs in the region of €6m per year.
    I'm not sure if that is good value or not but I am a satisfied listener and I would miss it if it was withdrawn.

I an aware of the choice available online but FM is a different beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Lyric is not the worst of them. I find myself changing to it more and more these days.

WE've come a long way from the days I used to drive a builder's van, If ever I was in a bad mood, the lads used to change all the pre-sets to Lyric, when my station of choice would have been 2FM or 100.

Nowadays I listen to it when there's nothing on RTE 1 or Newstalk. Which is a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

elperello wrote: »
    I understand that Lyric costs in the region of €6m per year.
    I'm not sure if that is good value or not but I am a satisfied listener and I would miss it if it was withdrawn.

I an aware of the choice available online but FM is a different beast.

Lyric also has a public service remit there is no reason why 2FM can’t be run on the same costs.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Just on the subject of The Late Late Show and it's desperately trying to get 'wit de yuth',

It does be gas reading the painfully obvious paid for articles on Joe.ie on a Friday, saying how unbelievably awesome that nights Late Late is going to be. (It started with them previewing the Late Late every Friday, and it seemed they reluctantly had to include/compare to Graham Norton to not look so biased/obvious).

See below todays fare...

We had a genuinely historic performance from Sinéad O'Connor (now going by the name of Shuhada Sadaqat), as well as the always hilarious Lewis Capaldi.

And we won't even get into the Love Island drama...
    So if this week's is even half as exciting, we'd be happy enough, and with this line-up we won't even be that surprised.

The Line up tonight;

Dermot Bannon & Dairmud Gavin - Promoting their RTÉ show (theres a surprise)
    2 lads singing songs.
    Maeve Higgins - promoting her new movie (but surely there's a plan in place to get her back on RTÉ soon enough that we'll hear about).
    Vicky Phelan to talk about her new book, and the cervical scandal (keep it lighthearted eh?).
    And arguably the most exciting guest, Michael Owen (I played football and wasn't really arsed playing football, it was just a job - Riveting).

I'm simply beside myself with the excitement and anticipation for tonights epically awesome show.

Then if you look on Joe.ie again from Sunday to Monday, you'll see at least 4-6 articles based on that unbelievably awesome/funny/sad/ridiculous/inspiring/sordid segment from Friday night's Late Late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Advertisement