Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Never had an issue with the Lidl brioche buns. I think they are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭emmabo25

The salted caramel Lidl brand ice cream cones are absolutely gorgeous. Cheap as chips too - I think it’s €1.99 for a box of 6. Highly recommended

I love those. Also tried the Gelatelli salted caramel tub of ice-cream, and it was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A recommendation to avoid. Local Aldi was out of brioche buns,

The aldi ones have a much longer shelf life too. I am not in aldi that much so always buy a few packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

rubadub wrote: »
    A recommendation to avoid. Local Aldi was out of brioche buns,

The aldi ones have a much longer shelf life too. I am not in aldi that much so always buy a few packs.

Tesco ones are also very good. The ones the with the blue packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Has anyone spotted the sol&mar chocolate bars with the rice krispies (or similar) inside in Lidl yet? They have the rest of the range in my local Lidl but not these beauties yet. I got very addicted to them last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

A recommendation to avoid. Local Aldi was out of brioche buns, so popped into Lidl. They are so heavy and nowhere near as nice as the Aldi ones. Didn't think you could do a bad bun!

Agreed. I got them before when Aldi were out of them and they were horrible. Heavy and stodgy and hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

emmabo25 wrote: »
    I love those. Also tried the Gelatelli salted caramel tub of ice-cream, and it was amazing.

Thanks! Will try that too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Baggly wrote: »
    Never had an issue with the Lidl brioche buns. I think they are great!

Much prefer the taste of the Lidl ones but they do have occasional structural consistency issues.

Stopped buying them frequently as I was buying the burgers and other bits in Aldi and having to go to Lidl to get the buns. Oh to live in Kilkenny (where they are directly across the road from each other)!

Local Aldi was out of brioche buns, so popped into Lidl. They are so heavy
    Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Tesco ones are also very good. The ones the with the blue packaging.
    I find them similar to lidl, I thought them to be great until I had the aldi ones, aldi have seeded ones too, tesco don't (own brand) not sure about lidl.

The lidl & tesco ones are literally heavier, aldi are 53g, tesco are 70g and I think lidl are around 70g too.

The aldi rolls do have more sugar and I prefer less bread in a burger. Of course some like bigger buns and many hate brioche because it is so sweet, so the even sweeter aldi might be sickly. I find the lidl/tesco ones more bready while the aldi ones when steamed a bit squash right down -of course some might dislike this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I haven’t tried the aldi ones but I will drive to another town and get some for my next burgers on your recommendation !

I’ve tried the m and s ones but they are too buttery for my liking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Spotted garlic & herb fresh (as in, minced, not breaded) chicken burgers earlier, has anyone tried them?

Was tempted to buy but they're very high in calories considering. They must mince a lot of skin in with the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I love the confit duck legs, I generally roast them for an hour render as much as the left over fat under the skin, and then shred them, let them cool add some Wine apple (if your posh Pomegranate seeds) some Roasted cashew nuts and ground down, finally chopped spring onions and a spicey tangy salad dressing, with a mixed bag of leaves. What ever else we have in the fridge.

Great dish for prep time which is about 15 minutes :)

488171.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What do people think of the salsa brava sauce?

212264.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Those gluten free millet balls in teh special food buys are quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Barry Johns sausages (chip shop curry, spice bag, bacon and cabbage, and choc chip/honeycomb) will be in Lidl from September 2nd according to their twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Barry Johns sausages (chip shop curry, spice bag, bacon and cabbage, and choc chip/honeycomb) will be in Lidl from September 2nd according to their twitter!

Good stuff - thanks for the heads up. Haven't tried any of these apart from the choc chip honeycomb - looking forward to them after a long time

Debub wrote: »
    Good stuff - thanks for the heads up. Haven't tried any of these apart from the choc chip honeycomb - looking forward to them after a long time

The chip shop curry ones are delicious, will be stocking up on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,350 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Lidl best of Irish week is back next Monday 2nd of September!

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936/w2

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lidl best of Irish week is back next Monday 2nd of September!

https://www.lidl.ie/en/c/kickstart-best-of-ireland/c936/w2

€3.50 for a bottle of ketchup is pretty dear. I’ll prob only try Jack the lad ale. The half cut ice cream sounds rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Kinsale chicken pate is lovely in the Best of Irish, though I think it's also same price in Tesco, Supervalu.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The 'my apricot kitchen' pastes/sauces sound very promising, especially the green harissa - 3.49 for a 180g jar seems very reasonable.

fin12 wrote: »
    €3.50 for a bottle of ketchup is pretty dear.
    for a miserable 100g!!

€22.90 per kilo!

There own brand stuff is grand and less than a 10th that price per kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,888 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Classic BBQ sauce 355g reduced to 49c

It's yum
    they also have a whisky sauce version for same price

Other BBQ stuff reduced like aluminum rays, firelighters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I noticed ox cheeks cooked in soy sauce today.
    Ingredients are cheeks, soy sauce and water.
    I haven't tried them but they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Bottle of red to 7.50 from 15. Today the 31st and tomorrow the first of September

202073.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

jd wrote: »
    Bottle of red to 7.50 from 15. Today the 31st and tomorrow the first of September

202073.jpg

It was very good,don't think I'd pay €15 for it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    The chip shop curry ones are delicious, will be stocking up on them!

Just got a pack on your recommendation :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

For reasons of science, i bought one of each of the Barry John sausages & cooked one of each to taste test them :D

First impressions-
    Chip Shop Curry- It's good, maybe a little too curry flavour, very little sausage getting through.
    Spice Bag- Oh yes. This is good. I love this one!
    Choc/Honeycomb- Tastes slightly sweet but no outstanding flavour :confused:
    Bacon/Cabbage- Tastes like any sausage, but with aded green bits!

With ketchup!

CSC- Actually a bit nicer with ketchup, different.
    SB- Not so good. Much nicer plain.
    Choc/HC- Marginally better, nice tang to contrast to sweet.
    Bacon/Cabbage- .........sausage, now with ketchup & green bits!

With caramelised onion chutney.
    CSC- Good. Nicer than ketchup, maybe it's because it's dulling the curry flavour?
    SB. Eeeeeh. I like it but maybe my liking for this sausage flavour is why :P
    Choc/HC- Too sweet, nope!!
    Bacon/Cabbage. Actually my favourite with the chutney, a delicious surprise!

So yes to Spice Bag & surprisingly the Bacon & Cabbage ones.
    Curry ones would be sickening after one & 1/2. Choc/HC are ok but just don't get the honeycomb at all.

Debub wrote: »
    Just got a pack on your recommendation :-)

Hopefully they didn’t disappoint! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

For reasons of science, i bought one of each of the Barry John sausages & cooked one of each to taste test them :D

First impressions-
    Chip Shop Curry- It's good, maybe a little too curry flavour, very little sausage getting through.
    Spice Bag- Oh yes. This is good. I love this one!
    Choc/Honeycomb- Tastes slightly sweet but no outstanding flavour :confused:
    Bacon/Cabbage- Tastes like any sausage, but with aded green bits!

With ketchup!

CSC- Actually a bit nicer with ketchup, different.
    SB- Not so good. Much nicer plain.
    Choc/HC- Marginally better, nice tang to contrast to sweet.
    Bacon/Cabbage- .........sausage, now with ketchup & green bits!

With caramelised onion chutney.
    CSC- Good. Nicer than ketchup, maybe it's because it's dulling the curry flavour?
    SB. Eeeeeh. I like it but maybe my liking for this sausage flavour is why :P
    Choc/HC- Too sweet, nope!!
    Bacon/Cabbage. Actually my favourite with the chutney, a delicious surprise!

So yes to Spice Bag & surprisingly the Bacon & Cabbage ones.
    Curry ones would be sickening after one & 1/2. Choc/HC are ok but just don't get the honeycomb at all.

Thanks for that. Are you a scientist in real life? :)

Advertisement