Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hopefully not the usual lidl chorizo?
    I didn't like that so much.

What's the second one you mentioned?

Portuguese sparkling wine. I forgot I was in Portugal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Hopefully not the usual lidl chorizo?
    I didn't like that so much.

I actually quite like their usual chorizo! I don't like it too spicy though, which is part of what I like about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a pack of 5 Fin Carre chocolate bars at the tills, they're disgusting, cant even finish one, its just bad artificial sweetener taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is a premium (but cheap) ice cream which is "bourbon vanilla and blueberry" which is nice.

At first glance I thought it meant whiskey like some sort of rum & raisin thing!, but it is just a type. I think I have seen the term before but am noticing it a lot more now.
    The majority of the world's vanilla is the V. planifolia species, more commonly known as Bourbon vanilla (after the former name of Rion, e Bourbon) or Madagascar vanilla,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

rireland wrote: »
    The pop chips I recommend, except for the new salt n vinegar ones that taste like cardboard. 440 calories for the full bag (100g).

Only complaint is consistency. Some bags can be really flavorsome and then others are just plain and tbh inedible.

Gas I bought these. Though the salt and vinegar were actually better than the sour cream and chive. Which had no real discernable flavour. The Greek style yogurt with honey is also a decent shout. Comparable to products X5 the price. Even though the consistency is a little stiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

€1.15 on special at the moment, found it at the till beside the Fin Carre. The Fin Carre version of the Nestle Crunch is very good for 55c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Gas I bought these. Though the salt and vinegar were actually better than the sour cream and chive. Which had no real discernable flavour. The Greek style yogurt with honey is also a decent shout. Comparable to products X5 the price. Even though the consistency is a little stiff.

You must have picked up a bag that was not flavoured properly. It's about 50/50 whether you get a bag that is nice or not. You never know what you're gonna get, they can be full of flavour and fluffy some days and then another they can be solid and thin with no flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Anyone seen the harvest basket homestyle chips lately? (the ones in the green bag for 1.19) They've been out of stock in my lidl for the last week or so and we're running dangerously low.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

B0jangles wrote: »
    Anyone seen the harvest basket homestyle chips lately? (the ones in the green bag for 1.19) They've been out of stock in my lidl for the last week or so and we're running dangerously low.

I bought a bag of them about 10 days ago in the Coolock branch. They were fully stocked when I did. I know it might not answer your question as you probably got your last pack around then too but hopefully it is just a temporary outage if you are having trouble getting them. The Jumbo Fries in the brown bag are quite good too, similar to the Mc Cann Home Fries. Same price just a thicker cut (about chipper chip width).

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭what the hell!

No sign of sweet potato chips today? Hopefully they’re not gone. They’re half the price of the Aldi ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Has anyone seen the big Bellarom white chocolate bars lately? Was my fave choc for a while. Got a craving for one lately but they don't seem to stock them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone tried the fish and chips in a bag in the freezer. It’s €4.99 I think. I think it says battered white fish with chips.

2470c00fac498fa4dac6f767e8a2bbd0fad438c2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,355 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the fish and chips in a bag in the freezer. It’s €4.99 I think. I think it says battered white fish with chips.

2470c00fac498fa4dac6f767e8a2bbd0fad438c2.jpg

I got this a few years ago and it wasn't liked. The fish wasn't great and the hips were tainted of the fish.

It might be better now tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Tried the bags of mixed nuts. Theres twp flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.

Tried the bags of mixed nuts. Theres two flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.

Tried the bags of Alesto mixed nuts Mediterranean style.Theres two flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Must try these nuts, I'd say they'd be wicked with a nice glass of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Must try these nuts, I'd say they'd be wicked with a nice glass of wine.

They are lovely indeed. I love the Olive variety with a G&T.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

anewme wrote: »
    Tried the bags of mixed nuts. Theres twp flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.
    Tried the bags of mixed nuts. Theres two flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.
    Tried the bags of Alesto mixed nuts Mediterranean style.Theres two flavours. One is olives and the other red peppers. They are yum with a glass of wine.

How many glasses of wine? :p

How many glasses of wine? :p

None....I’m off drink unfortunately. The Samsung tablet always posts things numerous times. They are delicious though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

None....I’m off drink unfortunately. The Samsung tablet always posts things numerous times. They are delicious though.

Not difficult to swallow? Wine helps wash them down I assume?

:pac:

I was just looking at the website for the upcoming veg offers, and is it just me or is the image they chose for the fresh spinach bizarrely bad:
    J2zNvNH.jpg
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/super-savers/baby-leaf-spinach/p21605

Like, who prefers squashed spinach?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Have not been to lidl for awhile but I see price increases on 2 things I bought this morning. Butter croissant used to .49 now .59 and ready salted potato sticks used to be .57 now .67 . I wonder what else has increased !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

B0jangles wrote:
    I was just looking at the website for the upcoming veg offers, and is it just me or is the image they chose for the fresh spinach bizarrely bad:

Thought that myself when I was flicking through the mag. Mind you, it's pretty indicative of the quality of their spinach lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I got their beef Aberdeen Angus mince meat, not nice. Even with pasta suase mixed it to it was a weird taste of it. Had to throw it in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Valyawl wrote: »
    Have not been to lidl for awhile but I see price increases on 2 things I bought this morning. Butter croissant used to .49 now .59 and ready salted potato sticks used to be .57 now .67 . I wonder what else has increased !!

Fresh soups from 1.29 to 1.39 (same in ALDI)

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Thought that myself when I was flicking through the mag. Mind you, it's pretty indicative of the quality of their spinach lately...

Drives me nuts when you're trying to get a decent bag of spinach and every bag in the box looks like someone sat on it :mad: I get mine in aldi/tesco/lidl depending on whose is the least mangled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A recommendation to avoid. Local Aldi was out of brioche buns, so popped into Lidl. They are so heavy and nowhere near as nice as the Aldi ones. Didn't think you could do a bad bun!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

The salted caramel Lidl brand ice cream cones are absolutely gorgeous. Cheap as chips too - I think it’s €1.99 for a box of 6. Highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

whiskeyman wrote: »
    A recommendation to avoid. Local Aldi was out of brioche buns, so popped into Lidl. They are so heavy and nowhere near as nice as the Aldi ones. Didn't think you could do a bad bun!

The brioche burger buns ? They don’t even hold together for the burger.

Advertisement