Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Wales 07/09/2019

Comments

Tomos Williams any use? Aaron Wainwright?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Aaron Wainwright?

Was a professional soccer player (or late academy) before being released at 17 and taking up rugby for the first time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

yerrahbah wrote: »

Meh, BOD hadn't been great in the previous tests and the Lions hammered Australia in that test to win the series, so the decision was justified. The dropping of Heaslip, who had been playing well, was a bigger shock for me.

Plus Garland doesn't give a sh*t.

Could well be a future All Blacks coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Tomos Williams any use? Aaron Wainwright?

Williams is a marked improvement over Davies at scrumhalf, at least he was in the last game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Seriously, who cares about BOD being dropped. He's such a complete pain in the hole as a pundit these days, he deserves less sympathy now than he did then and that wasn't very much.

It's 2019 FFS.

tototoe wrote: »
    Seriously, who cares about BOD being dropped. He's such a complete pain in the hole as a pundit these days, he deserves less sympathy now than he did then and that wasn't very much.

It's 2019 FFS.

I think it was clearly posted in jest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Ireland: R Kearney; J Larmour, B Aki, R Henshaw, K Earls; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong, J Ryan, J Kleyn, CJ Stander, J van der Flier, J Conan.

Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, A Porter, I Henderson, R Ruddock; L McGrath, J Carty, G Ringrose.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Actually a little surprised with no POM at all.

Line out will be very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Faugheen wrote: »
    Actually a little surprised with no POM at all.

Line out will be very interesting.

We have to be prepared to try other combinations. If a lineout dictates backrow selections to the detriment of ball carrying we are in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Interesting in the 'I won't be able to watch the first few with my eyes open' kinda sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Will toner be there?

We are going to win by two scores and look comfortable doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Cronin, kilcoyne, Porter, Henderson is serious impact.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    We have to be prepared to try other combinations. If a lineout dictates backrow selections to the detriment of ball carrying we are in trouble

Don’t get me wrong I get what you’re saying but without Dev as well it’s intriguing as to how it will pan out.

Good team on paper. No real hope they'll put in a performance but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

2 very strong teams and Joes final home game.

I'm hoping for presumably what most people are hoping for....

A 0-0 draw where both teams just sit in a circle and talk about how hard they're trying not to get injured before the RWC

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

Good team on paper. No real hope they'll put in a performance but we'll see.

Thats the spirit.
    Let's just upgrade Joe's ticket all the way to Auckland and get rid of him asap.
    We'll send Zebo, Donnacha Ryan, Toner, Marmion and O'Halloran over - sure they'll win the thing by themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭pummice

Wales down to 4th in world rankings
    Ireland back up to 2nd in world rankings

• Advertisement

pummice wrote: »

The maddest thing is NZ back to 1st despite not having played in three weeks. And England overtaking Wales despite not playing last weekend. The rankings are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,460 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Strong side - looking forward to the game

Fully expect at least 5 injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

pummice wrote: »

The maddest thing is NZ back to 1st despite not having played in three weeks. And England overtaking Wales despite not playing last weekend. The rankings are a joke.

I think people just don't understand what a ranking system is. There are problems with the fixtures not the rankings, we end up with partitioned groups and then cross partition games are less competitive than the internal games.

I think people just don't understand what a ranking system is. There are problems with the fixtures not the rankings, we end up with partitioned groups and then cross partition games are less competitive than the internal games.
    Well our old friend Gus Pichot doesn't like the system either and has vowed to change it.

Well our old friend Gus Pichot doesn't like the system either and has vowed to change it.

if only he knew someone with a bit of clout in world rugby...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I could be wrong here, but I think these warm-up games carry as much weight as the 6 nations games towards ranking points? I think that should be changed so they have less influence.

aloooof wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but I think these warm-up games carry as much weight as the 6 nations games towards ranking points? I think that should be changed so they have less influence.

hmmmm as in friendlies?

Can't see such matches ever losing full test status...

lawred2 wrote: »
    hmmmm as in friendlies?

Can't see such matches ever losing full test status...

I see your point. But realistically, they are they least meaningful collection of games that are played in any 4-year cycle. (Or, at a minimum, the results are the least meaningful from any group of games in any 4-year cycle).

Would you rather Ireland had beaten England in the 6 Nations or last Saturday week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Hoping Kleyn has a stormer as a two fingered salute to certain members of the press.

Although unless he scores two tries, beats fifteen defenders and steals five lineouts then we will get the anonymous line thrown around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

Would you rather Ireland had beaten England in the 6 Nations or last Saturday week?

I have no memory of a match 'last Saturday week.' Non.

I see your point. But realistically, they are they least meaningful collection of games that are played in any 4-year cycle. (Or, at a minimum, the results are the least meaningful from any group of games in any 4-year cycle).

The world cup warm ups are clearly a farce.

But no Union is going to publicly denigrate them when they are going to produce full houses in Dublin, London and Cardiff..

The world cup warm ups are clearly a farce.

But no Union is going to publicly denigrate them when they are going to produce full houses in Dublin, London and Cardiff..

The attendance for Ireland Italy was far from a full house, was it maybe 30,000 max? I think they'd have gotten that attendance anyway, regardless of ranking points at stake.

The attendance for Ireland Italy was far from a full house, was it maybe 30,000 max? I think they'd have gotten that attendance anyway, regardless of ranking points at stake.

I wasn't really thinking about Italy. I'd expect a much better attendance this Saturday in Dublin.

They might get the same attendance regardless but I doubt unions are going to want to take the chance.

I wasn't really thinking about Italy. I'd expect a much better attendance this Saturday in Dublin.

They might get the same attendance regardless but I doubt unions are going to want to take the chance.

So would I, but I'd expect that anyway for the last warm-up game, and against Wales, before a RWC.

Interestingly, World Rugby actually use the term "friendlies" themselves, from here which I'm surprised at:
    Points exchanges are doubled during the World Cup Finals to recognise the unique importance of this event, but all other full international matches are treated the same, to be as fair as possible to countries playing a different mix of friendly and competitive matches across the world.

There are probably unintended consequences I haven't thought through, but I don't think attendance is one of them, given the timing of these games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I was reading earlier that the Japanese are tracking a Typhoon that is on course to hit Tokyo the first week of the RWC - If matches get cancelled due to the storm, rugby rules state the game is a draw and both teams get 2 points - If this happens, there could be a massive impact i.e. NZ v Italy.

RE: This weekend, I reckon both teams will play to about 80% of ability to avoid injury - Dull match but Ireland to win by 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Hoping Kleyn has a stormer as a two fingered salute to certain members of the press.

Although unless he scores two tries, beats fifteen defenders and steals five lineouts then we will get the anonymous line thrown around

people , including the press, are totally justified to have an opinion on whether Kleyn selection is fair, is he more deserving of selection over Toner and Dillane , I too think not.
    Apart from his selection , happy with team for Sat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

thebaz wrote: »
    people , including the press, are totally justified to have an opinion on whether Kleyn selection is fair, is he more deserving of selection over Toner and Dillane , I too think not.
    Apart from his selection , happy with team for Sat.

Having an opinion is all well and good. Realising the significance or otherwise of that opinion is also highly relevant.

For right or wrong Kleyn is selected and Toner and Dillane aren't.

No amount of posting here or elsewhere, however sincere, is going to change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

tototoe wrote: »

It's 2019 FFS.

WHOOOOOSCH !

Realising the significance or otherwise of that opinion is also highly relevant.

Don't get this bit - people are entitled to ther opinion of whether the selection of Kleyn is fair or not - simple as.

But I do agree that selection is made and opinions won't chnage that decision , maybe by airing opinions now, they might help with future strategy of selecting NIQ players over home-grown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I can't see the approach to selection ever changing from the coach picking his strongest possible team/squad. I don't see IRFU imposing more stringent NIQ criteria than that passed down from World Rugby. So I wouldn't expect a whole lot of change from the 3/5 year rule.

Don't get this bit - people are entitled to ther opinion of whether the selection of Kleyn is fair or not - simple as.

But I do agree that selection is made and opinions won't chnage that decision , maybe by airing opinions now, they might help with future strategy of selecting NIQ players over home-grown.

You can't select NIQ players. Kleyn, Stander and Aki are all IQ. There aren't many left to qualify under the current rules, but I can guarantee that future national coaches will continue to pick players who qualify to play on their ability above their place of origin.

but I can guarantee that future national coaches will continue to pick players who qualify to play on their ability above their place of origin.

I understand that , but it doesn't make it right - every country is doing it too- France/Engalnd and NZ - the big countrys really shouldn't have to - that is my opinion and that of many others including Luke F.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,837 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Der durk errr jerbs..

If you're good enough, you play. If you're not, you don't.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Der durk errr jerbs..

If you're good enough, you play. If you're not, you don't.

that will be great comfort to Dev and Dillane -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Lowe's comments not exactly overflowing with enthusiasm, but I've no doubt that he'll give 100% when he's called up: https://www.the42.ie/james-lowe-4796720-Sep2019/. Cracking player to have (despite hating that he's playing in blue :p ; what a signing, in his prime!)

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I don't get this to be honest. Literally nobody had any problem with the rankings when NZ were maintaining a six point differential on the next best team year after year- it is only now that that differential has vanished that we are seeing how the system works. In a RWC year, with that backdrop, and a series of competitive games just prior to the tournament, you are going to get this volatility in the rankings. It really doesn't matter that it changes so often as whatever ranking system is adopted is at the mercy of the results. I quite like the fact that three or four different countries have briefly held it recently as this is a fair reflection of the competition between them.

I understand that , but it doesn't make it right - every country is doing it too- France/Engalnd and NZ - the big countrys really shouldn't have to - that is my opinion and that of many others including Luke F.

I've no problem with people having an issue. I'm not 100% comfortable with it myself, but I know the rules and I accept them.

Luke Fitz however has made an idiot of himself. They're are 3 qualified players out of 31. Two of them are from SA and only one of those two is likely to be in the first choice 23, yet he posts on twitter saying that we should be wearing SA jerseys.

The simple fact is it's not going to change. It'll happen with less regularity when the 5 year rules comes in, but it will continue to happen.

Luke Fitzgerald is the type of person I could imagine voting for Brexit.

His obsession with foreign players playing with the provinces is weird as f*ck, and it’s further highlighted by the Kleyn decision.

I’ve no issue with Kleyn being from South Africa, the issue I have is that I think Toner is a better choice. But alas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Faugheen wrote: »
    Luke Fitzgerald is the type of person I could imagine voting for Brexit.

His obsession with foreign players playing with the provinces is weird as f*ck, and it’s further highlighted by the Kleyn decision.

I’ve no issue with Kleyn being from South Africa, the issue I have is that I think Toner is a better choice. But alas.

One of the best responses I seen on Twitter to one of his rants was "when are you joining Gemma outside Google".

• Advertisement
Advertisement