Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Cromwell is trending on twitter. Yes that Cromwell.

#thebloodybrigssreatitagain

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Brexit will likely be another damn squid like the millennium bug turned out to be.
    The millennium bug turned out to be a damp squib because so much time and money was spent preparing for it. It did happen to a very limited extent. Meanwhile, Brexit in the UK ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    They've said a lot of things.
    Then they've said some opposite things to the things they previously said.
    Then they denied they said things.
    Then they denied they denied they said the opposite things.

What they have not done is provide absolute certainty to their citizens living abroad - in any EU country - as to what exactly is going to happen next.

3 decades of the rosery and a spin or two "our father"

Il be back to you when it turns out that the common travel agreement is as it always was

Blueshoe wrote: »
    People worrying about things that may or may not happen. Things they have no control over.

The question is . Will worrying help the situation?
    The answer . No

Wait and see and deal with what comes. No power to change anything so adapt and overcome .

Applies to all of life's situations

Brexit is a whole lot more complicated than don't worry about it and it's really something someone should have control over. New rules apply to almost everything almost immediately.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

3 decades of the rosery and a spin or two "our father"

Or, and this is a crazy idea, making an actual deal with the EU.

One that reflects the realities of life and not the jingoistic fantasies of sections of English and Unionist society.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Brexit is a whole lot more complicated than don't worry about it and it's really something someone should have control over. New rules apply to almost everything almost immediately.

You have no control over it

Or, and this is a crazy idea, making an actual deal with the EU.

One that reflects the realities of life and not the jingoistic fantasies of sections of English and Unionist society.

No deal. Leave

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a movement called "Another Europe is Possible"
    Does it want another Europe (aka it's Brexit) I hear you ask?
    No, it's a anti-brexit movement which means they just want the same Europe.

They have a call for "Stop the Coup". Essentially "Stop the Coup" is a last-ditch effort to stop the democratically voted process.

What people involved say:
    Clive Lewis MP - We will build a mass movement to save democracy
    Michael Chessum, national organiser - We are witnessing the birth of a huge movement to fight for democracy
    Nadia Whittome, a Nottingham Labour activist - We are now seeing the true meaning of Brexit – it is a project aimed at nothing less than the destruction of what little democracy we have
    Essentially for these people the word "democracy" means "the way things are now under EU".

Don't be fooled by people that want to change the meaning of words.
    They will also tell you "war is peace", "freedom is slavery" and "ignorance is strength".

biko wrote: »
    There is a movement called "Another Europe is Possible"
    Does it want another Europe (aka it's Brexit) I hear you ask?
    No, it's a anti-brexit movement which means they just want the same Europe.

They have a call for "Stop the Coup". Essentially "Stop the Coup" is a last-ditch effort to stop the democratically voted process.

What people involved say:

Essentially for these people the word "democracy" means "the way things are now under EU".

Don't be fooled by people that want to change the meaning of words.
    They will also tell you "war is peace", "freedom is slavery" and "ignorance is strength".

Ah the "we didn't get our own way" foundation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

illumin wrote: »
    Sure! I'm also familiar with bridge dwellers.

Usual ****e, accuse someone who disagrees with you of being a troll. Well played.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

I predict 6-8 months of gnashing of teeth from the remainers after brexit and then things will settle.
    Then other countries will look at leaving too.

Maybe we can have the monolith disbanded in 10 years.

The massive fear the EU have is that the UK will make a success of leaving the EU (I expect they will but it will be 2 years or so of hard graft) and others will follow. If I was a betting man I'd say Italy will look at their own exit vote within the next 5 years. The EU at it's most basic inception was a good idea and worked well for it's citizens but alas those days are well gone now unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The massive fear the EU have is that the UK will make a success of leaving the EU (I expect they will but it will be 2 years or so of hard graft) and others will follow. If I was a betting man I'd say Italy will look at their own exit vote within the next 5 years. The EU at it's most basic inception was a good idea and worked well for it's citizens but alas those days are well gone now unfortunately.

You think the UK will have recovered in 5 years?

Didn't the architects of Brexit mention much much longer?

They have said a lot of things.

It was 50 years according to Mogg esq

2 years not 5.

The EU have no fear of anything the UK will get up to. They are the big market and its up to the UK to get a trade deal done. You'd lose on Italy BTW, one of the best examples of how a dysfunctional country can keep running into perpetuity. Italians don't want to leave but they do want their country fixed by the people who broke it. Some of those politicians have blamed the EU but it's really homegrown.

The EU have no fear of anything the UK will get up to. They are the big market and its up to the UK to get a deal done. You'd lose on Italy BTW, one of the best examples of how a dysfunctional country can keep running into perpetuity. Italians don't want to leave but they do want their country fixed by the people who broke it. Some of those politicians have blamed the EU but it's really homegrown.

Tiny in comparison to the Us and China though.

Tiny in comparison to the Us and China though.
    Sure, but the UK is tiny in comparison to the EU. A US one would depend on whether they mess with the GFA in their exit.

The EU have no fear of anything the UK will get up to. They are the big market and its up to the UK to get a trade deal done. You'd lose on Italy BTW, one of the best examples of how a dysfunctional country can keep running into perpetuity. Italians don't want to leave but they do want their country fixed by the people who broke it. Some of those politicians have blamed the EU but it's really homegrown.

It's pie in the sky stuff if you think no deal isn't going to massively effect Europe. Personally I think within 12 months the effects will be so massive on Ireland in particular the conversation on leaving and hitching our trailer to the UK will be openly talked about.

Pride will come well down the list before having people in work and keeping the lights on.

It's pie in the sky stuff if you think no deal isn't going to massively effect Europe. Personally I think within 12 months the effects will be so massive on Ireland in particular the conversation on leaving and hitching our trailer to the UK will be openly talked about.

Pride will come well down the list before having people in work and keeping the lights on.

Can I have your dealers number please?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The EU is going to shaft us the same as they did in the bank bailout. Wait and see.

janfebmar wrote: »
    The EU is going to shaft us the same as they did in the bank bailout. Wait and see.

Please explain that one.

Ill get the tea on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Our own government shafted us by issuing a blank cheque to the banks before they knew how deep the Anglo-Irish hole was never mind the other banks.
    Our own government shafted us by having a toothless banking regulator in place.

Tell me oh wise one - if we had been left to the mercies of our own government and didn't have EU back up how deeply shafted do you think we would have been by the IMF?

Our own government shafted us by issuing a blank cheque to the banks before they knew how deep the Anglo-Irish hole was never mind the other banks.
    Our own government shafted us by having a toothless banking regulator in place.

Tell me oh wise one - if we had been left to the mercies of our own government and didn't have EU back up how deeply shafted do you think we would have been by the IMF?

The poster you’re replying to is of questionable origins and seems to exist purely to antagonise on matters Irish and European across boards. I’d not waste my time tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Brexiteer wrote: »
    been following this thread on and off for many months. swore I wouldn't post. but can't handle this echo chamber anymore

WHEN we leave on oct 31st, ireland is going down the toilet

- you ARE getting a hard border!

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

- a gradual cut of corporation tax in the UK will see business flocking from dublin to us - especially when ireland is forced to sign up to a common taxation policy in return for financial assistance. the only reason you got away with it in 2010 was because it was an emergency for everyone else and ireland had to be sorted in a hurry. this time, the EU will wait you out! RoI economy is artificial and a basket case when the US corporations bale out of there after corporation taxes hit 28%! we in the UK will even be free to give out corporate state aid wherever we see fit! Compete with THAT!!!!!

- your EU membership fees are getting a hike, a big one - one you won't be able to afford!

- 50,000 more people are about to go on the dole

- you are about to get a return of fianna fial government, only 9 years after they destroyed you!

- you make up nonsense about inferior chlorinated chicken that we'll be eating - we're all drinking chlorinated water every day as it is! also many food products imported from the EU are chlorinated and certified as safe.

- you make up other anti-competition excuses and nonsense about hormone beef - as someone who has been to the USA many times, i see nothing inferior about it and which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment. also mass refrigerated transportation already puts goods from the far side of the world next to our EU "friends". the only difference being price, which when calculated costs a lot more from our next door neighbors due to EU markups. And I'd still prefer a steak from the US than the 2:30 winner from leapoardstown!

- You gloat about the break up of the union but NI and Scotland receive billions every year in benefits which Ireland and the EU simply wouldn't be able to carry. At the same time you'll saving the UK billions making us better off than they are now. Oh and Scotland would need to meet the criteria to join the EU which it doesn't currently have and when all UK ties are cut, would take decades to achieve. I have seen suggestions that the UK will have to help pay for NI for a number of years in the event of a united ireland - when did we agree to that and who is going to make us? by the way, the CTA will end too! good luck with getting your uk work visa's as well as taking a lot of the uk's scroungers off our hands!

- we'll be fine advancing trade with 85% of the world market rather than be fixated on a shrinking 14% whose standards aren't exactly the highest, even though they seem to think they are.

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EU, more than 50% in its own citizens do not trust EU!

- you think we wont get a USA trade deal - we will see about that when the dems are looking for voters and donors next year! THEY call the shots!

- Sterling will bounce back a few months after we leave. not as high as it was, but higher than now. we'll be fine. Just as we were supposed to be in a toilet for not joining the euro and the day after passing the referendum, ot was all wrong and still is now

- Also I see a common assumption that NHS workers will flee. no they won't. we will be free to give access to whoever we want!

We don't like bullies in the UK, we respond very badly to such pressures, and we especially dislike little squirts who puff themselves up and make threats just because they've joined a gang (Leo). He will live to regret his actions in the 2020 irish elections and losing his party leadership. Im sure he will get a cushy number from the EU masters in the future though, as a thanks for his help and as a consolation for destroying his own people!

Enough there to give some people food for thought I imagine. Thanks to the EU, our national debt is now much higher than it ever was, as we are going to enter a major recession caused by the EU failure to negotiate.

Sure, but the UK is tiny in comparison to the EU. A US one would depend on whether they mess with the GFA in their exit.

Makes me laugh when people go on about the budget deficit in the Us and certain Presidents adding to it. The GDP of the Us economy was 20 trillion dollars last year! But anyway that's a different story

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Enough there to give some people food for thought I imagine. Thanks to the EU, our national debt is now much higher than it ever was, as we are going to enter a major recession caused by the EU failure to negotiate.
    Brexiteer got sitebanned because he was a rereg troll.
    Most of his "truths" are unsubstantiated conjecture, imo.

Brexiteer got sitebanned because he was a rereg troll.
    Most of his "truths" are just unsubstantiated nonsense.

Some of his points are possibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Are you living in the same world as the rest of us???

The poster in question just made all that nonsense up. Not a single link to anything backing up what he said, he literally just pulled it out of his arse.

Can you please explain to us all how the EU is directly responsible for our national debt?

In a world where information is so freely available I can’t understand how it’s possible for someone to be so misinformed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

After spending 800 years getting away from these loons and reducing reducing our dependence on them you really think the Irish people are going to go rushing hack? You haven’t a clue about Ireland or the Irish economy if you think that’s going to happen. The uk is an important part of European economy but certainly not one that will collapse the EU or European trading patterns. The world will go on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement