Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

Good man francie

If you’re going to try and be clever, at least quote the right ****ing post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Aegir wrote: »
    Good man francie

Sorry old chap

Good man francie

Aiger do you know if there is going to be a 'bye bye britian' party in Ireland on October 31st like the Dutch and French are having?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

yes and no. EU citizens in the UK on the date of withdrawal will effectively have freedom of movement, but after that, anyone entering the UK does so as a straight forward "Alien".
    Except for Irish people. CTA will still apply for both countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.ft.com/content/5127a0de-c4ee-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

Imagine how much higher wages would have to go to get unemployed British people to do the work...

This will be part of Brexit, cut benefits and conditions so that those on welfare can be starved into work. Welcome to Borrisworld.

• Advertisement

Aiger do you know if there is going to be a 'bye bye britian' party in Ireland on October 31st like the Dutch and French are having?

You mean like the one we had in England when you moved back?

Dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 67,499 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This will be part of Brexit, cut benefits and conditions so that those on welfare can be starved into work. Welcome to Borrisworld.

I was watching one of those fly on the wall docs with the Customs in the UK. They were doing raids on farms for undocumented workers. It was appalling to see the conditions workers on the farms of 'respectable' farmers were living in. Knowing the similar cognitive dissonance of the ex-pats living in Spain etc, I bet a good few of those farmers voted gung ho for Brexit too. It's those kind of people I wish a hard Brexit on, but unfortunately, it will be decent and honest British people that will suffer, because if those guys are cheating, and exploiting the systems now they will be doing it after Brexit too.

You mean like the one we had in England when you moved back?

Dunno
    No, like the one the Dutch and French are having

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Brexiteer

been following this thread on and off for many months. swore I wouldn't post. but can't handle this echo chamber anymore

WHEN we leave on oct 31st, ireland is going down the toilet

- you ARE getting a hard border!

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

- a gradual cut of corporation tax in the UK will see business flocking from dublin to us - especially when ireland is forced to sign up to a common taxation policy in return for financial assistance. the only reason you got away with it in 2010 was because it was an emergency for everyone else and ireland had to be sorted in a hurry. this time, the EU will wait you out! RoI economy is artificial and a basket case when the US corporations bale out of there after corporation taxes hit 28%! we in the UK will even be free to give out corporate state aid wherever we see fit! Compete with THAT!!!!!

- your EU membership fees are getting a hike, a big one - one you won't be able to afford!

- 50,000 more people are about to go on the dole

- you are about to get a return of fianna fial government, only 9 years after they destroyed you!

- you make up nonsense about inferior chlorinated chicken that we'll be eating - we're all drinking chlorinated water every day as it is! also many food products imported from the EU are chlorinated and certified as safe.

- you make up other anti-competition excuses and nonsense about hormone beef - as someone who has been to the USA many times, i see nothing inferior about it and which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment. also mass refrigerated transportation already puts goods from the far side of the world next to our EU "friends". the only difference being price, which when calculated costs a lot more from our next door neighbors due to EU markups. And I'd still prefer a steak from the US than the 2:30 winner from leapoardstown!

- You gloat about the break up of the union but NI and Scotland receive billions every year in benefits which Ireland and the EU simply wouldn't be able to carry. At the same time you'll saving the UK billions making us better off than they are now. Oh and Scotland would need to meet the criteria to join the EU which it doesn't currently have and when all UK ties are cut, would take decades to achieve. I have seen suggestions that the UK will have to help pay for NI for a number of years in the event of a united ireland - when did we agree to that and who is going to make us? by the way, the CTA will end too! good luck with getting your uk work visa's as well as taking a lot of the uk's scroungers off our hands!

- we'll be fine advancing trade with 85% of the world market rather than be fixated on a shrinking 14% whose standards aren't exactly the highest, even though they seem to think they are.

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EU, more than 50% in its own citizens do not trust EU!

- you think we wont get a USA trade deal - we will see about that when the dems are looking for voters and donors next year! THEY call the shots!

- Sterling will bounce back a few months after we leave. not as high as it was, but higher than now. we'll be fine. Just as we were supposed to be in a toilet for not joining the euro and the day after passing the referendum, ot was all wrong and still is now

- Also I see a common assumption that NHS workers will flee. no they won't. we will be free to give access to whoever we want!

We don't like bullies in the UK, we respond very badly to such pressures, and we especially dislike little squirts who puff themselves up and make threats just because they've joined a gang (Leo). He will live to regret his actions in the 2020 irish elections and losing his party leadership. Im sure he will get a cushy number from the EU masters in the future though, as a thanks for his help and as a consolation for destroying his own people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Brexiteer wrote: »
    been following this thread on and off for many months. swore I wouldn't post. but can't handle this echo chamber anymore

- slower or less use of the landbridge will make transit take longer, and imported goods, whether from the UK or the EU, more expensive

- a gradual cut of corporation tax in the UK will see business flocking from dublin to us - especially when ireland is forced to sign up to a common taxation policy in return for financial assistance. the only reason you got away with it in 2010 was because it was an emergency for everyone else and ireland had to be sorted in a hurry. this time, the EU will wait you out! RoI economy is artificial and a basket case when the US corporations bale out of there after corporation taxes hit 28%! we in the UK will even be free to give out corporate state aid wherever we see fit! Compete with THAT!!!!!

- your EU membership fees are getting a hike, a big one - one you won't be able to afford!

- you are about to get a return of fianna fial government, only 9 years after they destroyed you!

- you make up nonsense about inferior chlorinated chicken that we'll be eating - we're all drinking chlorinated water every day as it is! also many food products imported from the EU are chlorinated and certified as safe.

- you make up other anti-competition excuses and nonsense about hormone beef - as someone who has been to the USA many times, i see nothing inferior about it and which will make a change from us eating irish horse meat not to mention the African Swine Flu the EU states have at the moment. also mass refrigerated transportation already puts goods from the far side of the world next to our EU "friends". the only difference being price, which when calculated costs a lot more from our next door neighbors due to EU markups. And I'd still prefer a steak from the US than the 2:30 winner from leapoardstown!

- You gloat about the break up of the union but NI and Scotland receive billions every year in benefits which Ireland and the EU simply wouldn't be able to carry. At the same time you'll saving the UK billions making us better off than they are now. Oh and Scotland would need to meet the criteria to join the EU which it doesn't currently have and when all UK ties are cut, would take decades to achieve. I have seen suggestions that the UK will have to help pay for NI for a number of years in the event of a united ireland - when did we agree to that and who is going to make us? by the way, the CTA will end too! good luck with getting your uk work visa's as well as taking a lot of the uk's scroungers off our hands!

- we'll be fine advancing trade with 85% of the world market rather than be fixated on a shrinking 14% whose standards aren't exactly the highest, even though they seem to think they are.

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EUUSR, more than 50% in its own do not trust EU!

- you think we wont get a USA trade deal - we will see about that when the dems are looking for voters and donors next year! THEY call the shots!

- Sterling will bounce back a few months after we leave. not as high as it was, but higher than now. we'll be fine. Just as we were supposed to be in a toilet for not joining the euro and the day after passing the referendum, ot was all wrong and still is now

- Also I see a common assumption that NHS workers will flee. no they won't. we will be free to give access to whoever we want!

We don't like bullies in the UK, we respond very badly to such pressures, and we especially dislike little squirts who puff themselves up and make threats just because they've joined a gang (Leo). He will live to regret his actions in the 2020 irish elections and losing his party leadership. Im sure he will get a cushy number from the EU masters in the future though, as a thanks for his help and as a consolation for destroying his own people!

You should probably look up how much Britain depends on ireland for food

Close the land bridge. Lol.

It hasn’t been even threatened cos the uk government know exactly how much they depend on ireland for food

The rest of your post is comedy thanks :)

• Advertisement

It hasn’t been even threatened cos the uk government know exactly how much they depend on ireland for food

The abbreviated version would be 'sunny uplands with extra unicorns'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 Brexiteer

We can get our food from anywhere - including at home once exporting our own food to EU markets makes no sense anymore. we have plenty thanks!

i didnt say we would close the landbridge by the way. i clearly said using the landbridge or importing from the EU mainland would be slower and therefore more expensive

nice to know you have no retort for my "comedy" anyway

We can get our food from anywhere - including at home once exporting our own food to EU markets makes no sense anymore. we have plenty thanks!

i didnt say we would close the landbridge by the way. i clearly said using the landbridge or importing from the EU mainland would be slower and therefore more expensive

nice to know you have no retort for my "comedy" anyway

Unicorns arent edible. By dint of them not actually existing.

You haven’t plenty. UK food security is way down the board and worsening Because you have no immigrants to work gathering the food.

We already have rerouted around the UK to cut out the land bridge.

You should try read up on preparation here before posting something like that. You haven’t a clue it seems.

UK threat. ... The UK is not self-sufficient in food production; it imports 48% of the total food consumed and the proportion is rising. Therefore, as a food-trading nation, the UK relies on both imports and a thriving agricultural sector to feed itself and drive economic growth.

https://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/challenge/uk-threat/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

We don't like bullies in the UK

Ever read a history book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭tigger123

UK threat. ... The UK is not self-sufficient in food production; it imports 48% of the total food consumed and the proportion is rising. Therefore, as a food-trading nation, the UK relies on both imports and a thriving agricultural sector to feed itself and drive economic growth.

https://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/challenge/uk-threat/

No point. They're sick of experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

- The international community wants the destruction of the EU (minus 66 million) - yet you act like it will be the UK who will be the ones being a small fish in a big pond. Even within the EU, more than 50% in its own citizens do not trust EU!

Cheers, son's crying. Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It'll be a terrible shock in the aftermath of Brexit, when Ireland bounces back quickly from a Brexit blip whilst the UK continues to to slide down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

We don't like bullies in the UK,

Oh the irony...

Reading a lot of the type of British poster who would come on an Irish site to spout the stuff they do I can only believe that Brexit has revealed to them something they have refused to accept about the EU.
    It levels the playing pitch. A stronger economy, or militarily stronger country that is outside or leaving will not be allowed to bully anymore, as they were when there was no EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Reading a lot of the type of British poster who would come on an Irish site to spout the stuff they do I can only believe that Brexit has revealed to them something they have refused to accept about the EU.
    It levels the playing pitch. A stronger economy, or militarily stronger country that is outside or leaving will not be allowed to bully anymore, as they were when there was no EU.

Yes. I really believe the EU is ultimately a peace project and this is evidenced by the resolute Defence of the Good Friday agreement as well as its stance on humanitarian issues.

In spite of the remainers, the UK is moving away from this in what seems like a desperate bid to revisit past glories...sad really.

As McWilliams rightly points it’s out a country that has no education in its schools whatsoever outside what we did in WWII and how we used to rule the world and no awareness or education of how that is absolutely not the case anymore. They weren’t aware of their delusions of empire going into th EU, and they don’t understand their empire delusion is just that upon leaving and they won’t. Potentially for decades.

Look them to Germany and it relentlessly still schools its kids about what they did and their history and how it never can be allowed happen again and setting up a constitution that enables any future German government going that way be challenged in the court by citizens

The Brits are in colonial hangover and the headache hasn’t even kicked in. They’ve not even woken up yet. The puking is yet to come.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Erm, no you don't! You import most of your food. What you will have to import followibg a no deal ezit will involce some fairly sreep WTO tarrifs.
    Good luck being smug then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

As McWilliams rightly points it’s out a country that has no education in its schools whatsoever outside what we did in WWII and how we used to rule the world and no awareness or education of how that is absolutely not the case anymore. They weren’t aware of their delusions of empire going into th EU, and they don’t understand their empire delusion is just that upon leaving and they won’t. Potentially for decades.

Look them to Germany and it relentlessly still schools its kids about what they did and their history and how it never can be allowed happen again and setting up a constitution that enables any future German government going that way be challenged in the court by citizens

The Brits are in colonial hangover and the headache hasn’t even kicked in. They’ve not even woken up yet. The puking is yet to come.

The more it goes on the more I realise that they see this as their WWII. They want to be able to say they survived Brexit, it'll feed perfectly into the plucky little Britain mythos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In 2018, UK exports to the EU were £289 billion (46% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £345 billion (54% of all UK imports).

Off the top of my head the UK economy is about 15% based on it exports to the EU.

The EU to UK about 2%.

Talk about slow land bridges etc is just talk.

In the event of a hard border between the EU and Britain, half a trillion pounds of trade will start grinding to a halt, out of a 2.4 trillion economy.

People all over the world primarily trade with their neighbours, talk about a brave new world in Asia will not match neighbourhood trade, possibly never will, no matter the circumstances.

I'm no fan of the EU, it has a lot of deep flaws. I get Brexit and would probably have voted for it if I was English.

Yet talk of No Deal Brexit is ****ing moronic when you look at the damage it will do.

I talk with British companies on a regular basis, they know what No Deal Brexit means for them.

No Deal will hurt Ireland most in the EU, the Dutch significantly but The damage to Britain will give the most severe recession in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Brexiteer wrote:

Under a different name I assume as you only started using this one today.

Looks familiar though.......

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The more it goes on the more I realise that they see this as their WWII. They want to be able to say they survived Brexit, it'll feed perfectly into the plucky little Britain mythos.

Bullies don’t like being bullied.

What the average brexiter doesn’t realized they are being bullied and manipulated by their elite classes like Mogg and Johnson et al.

The Germans overdo it one way, the English in another way.

I never liked that approach of saying it was all about Empire etc.

It was an easy answer for Remain and EU supporters and one that involved no listening or reflection and no research or stats, all that sort of stuff can be pushed aside.

Bullies don’t like being bullied.

What the average brexiter doesn’t realized they are being bullied and manipulated by their elite classes like Mogg and Johnson et al.

Both sides are led by the elite.

Remain camp in the referendum was one of the most unified establishment teams, ever seen in British politics.

If it was just down to Eton alumni, it would have been a landslide for Remain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

no they like making a big song and dance about it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement