Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveatc EIDW Feed is up AND GOING WELL. Donations to keep it up would be appreciated

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Great service Pat, I hope you can keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭Mech1

icom wrote: »
    Great service Pat, I hope you can keep it going.

Many thanks, it all counts and its also nice to see that some people appreciate the effort involved.

As i have said numerous times before, I have no more than a passing interest in this subject and started it for you people that have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just put in a few quid Pat, hopefully you can keep it running. It's a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Btw please consider that payment as a bribe to turn all Shannon frequencies off around 8pm for an hour or so so I can have some privacy :):)

smurfjed wrote: »
    Btw please consider that payment as a bribe to turn all Shannon frequencies off around 8pm for an hour or so so I can have some privacy :):)

Sorry Smurf, Shannon is not in my remit!:D

• Advertisement

But next time your in EIDW its all your call just pm me!

I dropped this link in our group (simulation) and one of the first suggestions was a patreon. Given any thought to that?

sdanseo wrote: »
    I dropped this link in our group (simulation) and one of the first suggestions was a patreon. Given any thought to that?

No idea what your talking about :o

Mech1 wrote: »
    No idea what your talking about :o

It's essentially a tool for people to make small regular donations by subscribing. $1 a month from 50 subscribers would be all you would need.

I dont think Patreon is right for this feed, I prefer to keep it available for anyone to access without cost at any time that they need it.
    I can imagine a family at the airport heading on holiday or awaiting family to arrive, trying to deal with major delays or cancellations logging on to Liveatc to get a bit more direct info as and when they need it.
    Thats what this feed is about, its not a business.

• Advertisement

But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I dont think Patreon is right for this feed, I prefer to keep it available for anyone to access without cost at any time that they need it.
    I can imagine a family at the airport heading on holiday or awaiting family to arrive, trying to deal with major delays or cancellations logging on to Liveatc to get a bit more direct info as and when they need it.
    Thats what this feed is about, its not a business.

The listening model doesn't have to change with Patreon

It wouldn't require subscribtion to access, it would be like youtube premium
    People basically contiribute by subscription is all. A recurring donation. In return you just give them a blog post once a month or something equally mundane.

Anyone could still access for free exactly as they do now, even if you wanted to charge for access, the liveatc platform would not allow you to.

The listening model doesn't have to change with Patreon

Then what benifit do the subscribers get?

Then what benifit do the subscribers get?

That warm fuzzy feeling of being helpful, combined with the feed staying online.

Crowdfunding. A tiny - in this case almost negligible -amount from many would add up to keep the service alive.

That warm fuzzy feeling, combined with the feed staying online.

i will look into it:D

oh and if liveatc ever go subscription only I will be redirecting my feed to a free platform even if i gotta build my own site!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Donation made and even if the site goes down, no refund to me is needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NeonSquares

Patreon is the way to go, you get a regular predicable income and can make a few quid in the progress.

For feck sake, pointless podcasters make money in patreon, you should too.

Your feed is educational, is most of the time in the top ten, and valued more than you probably realize to listeners.

Instead of going cap in hand via PayPal people can support you on a regular basis.

I'm pretty sure most of who subscribe will be people wanting to help in feed costs and not be looking for anything 'extra' in return.

Out of curiosity, which of the feeds is yours? There are a good few listed on Liveatc for Dublin. Or are they all yours, if so how do you do that off a single scanner?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It's essentially a tool for people to make small regular donations by subscribing. $1 a month from 50 subscribers would be all you would need.
    I think this could be the way forward. If your costs are €925 I think it's a big burden on you. While not a regular user I would certainly be willing to send a couple of Euro per month for the service when we need it.

Just sent a small contribution there myself. Will not require a refund if it gets to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Reading this thread over the last few days has restored my faith in human nature :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Added a few quid there myself Pat!

I’d like to throw it out there to mods to create a sticky donation or announcement page. €1000 is not a lot of money when you add up all those givers!

Many thanks to the 14 people that have donated, they have secured the immediate future of this broadcast location, so the feed will be staying up!

There will be so many people that will send “thoughts and prayers” on this one and that’s grand but how about you don’t buy that next coffee or the bottle of coke.

Maybe go regular instead of large at McDonalds.

Pat said 14 people donated. If another 14 people donated €5 that would probably buy a 2nd hand scanner!

https://www.paypal.me/tohelpgetthisbackup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Great to hear the feed is staying up. I had donated previously and will do so again now. Ideally setting up a recurring payment via Patreon would be the preferred method for me and probably others. I would be happier knowing you had your ongoing monthly costs covered, rather than having to look for lumps of donations every couple of years.

Let us know if / when you get a Patreon set up, or perhaps you could take a recurring donation through PayPal?

OK, i have set up a patreon basic page.

Every little counts

Thanks again.

https://www.patreon.com/EIDWLIVEMECH1

Mods if this is not allowed please delete.

can someone test the link and just confirm its working? if i click it it logs me in as the owner.

If the link does work even if you cant donate please share on your social networking in order to get the word out that its active, we may even earn a few new listeners.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Posted on the Dublin spotters page.

Advertisement