Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rsa supporting e-scooters

• 28-08-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

From the Irish Times today, the RSA have commissioned a report to support the use of escooters.

"The report said e-scooters could even help the State hit its targets for the reduction of greenhouse emissions.

It is clear that they have potential to reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality, and promote active travel if they are used in the right ways in place of less sustainable modes of transport such as the private motor vehicle,”

Much like bikes, no?

e-scooters are great, but unleashing 1000's of them on our crappy infrastructure? Kind of makes me feel how motorists must feel about cyclists!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Bikes, e-bikes and e-scooters - if they get more cars off the road I see it as a good thing.

"It is clear that they have potential to reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality, and promote active travel"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

They've already been unleashed. This is more about legalising, licensing and regulating them. At the moment, none of them are really legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't really have an issue with them. I found then not that visible coming from behind in the cycle lane as no real movement, but like with ninja cyclists, I still saw them.

I'd say it'll shine a light (no pun intended after my last comment!) on the infrastructure we have though - a bump/ pothole that's an irritant on a bike, maybe more of an issue to the small wheels?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm totally going to get one when they are properly legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The only issue I have - is the same with other road users - a lot of people do stupid things.

Infrastructure and education improvements all round would help everyone's commute.

i.e. better traffic light timings, better facilities, teaching people that its not a free for all at every single junction etc - but I don't see this magical utopia happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

km991148 wrote: »
    The only issue I have - is the same with other road users - a lot of people do stupid things.

Infrastructure and education improvements all round would help everyone's commute.

i.e. better traffic light timings, better facilities, teaching people that its not a free for all at every single junction etc - but I don't see this magical utopia happening!

I know that I do stupid things regardless of my mode of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,294 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

What have they got to do with bicycles/cycling? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Raam wrote: »
    I know that I do stupid things regardless of my mode of transport.

oh - absolutely! But generally I try not to - or at least try not to do things to piss off others!

If I am going slow on a bike because I am lazy/tired/carrying home something stupid on the handlebars etc, I wave people past or pull over. I dont fight my way to the front of all the traffic and then hold everyone up when I inevitably cant get up to the same speed (for example)

Or try and pass people inches from them (on that I see a lot of scooters doing (but others too).

Now I fully accept I am biased as fu(k about my own actions and there is a ton of stuff I do that annoys others...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,847 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Macy0161 wrote: »

I'd say it'll shine a light (no pun intended after my last comment!) on the infrastructure we have though - a bump/ pothole that's an irritant on a bike, maybe more of an issue to the small wheels?

Even if the roads are perfectly smooth a branch or bit of rubbish can cause issues for them and problems for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

Those bloody scooters are a scourge in the bike lanes around Dublin! They seem to be far too slow to keep up with cycling speeds, and just block the place up in spots where the cycle lanes don't give you enough room to overtake.

If they're for use on roads rather than just scooting along the footpath, I think they should have to be capable of higher speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Those bloody scooters are a scourge in the bike lanes around Dublin! They seem to be far too slow to keep up with cycling speeds, and just block the place up in spots where the cycle lanes don't give you enough room to overtake.

If they're for use on roads rather than just scooting along the footpath, I think they should have to be capable of higher speeds.

They go up to 30k, which is the speed limit around the city in most spots, so that's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

These scooters are pretty common in cities in Europe. You would see a lot of people in business attire commuting on them. It seems only a matter of time with the whole climate thing before they appear here. They would need a clean surface, perhaps raised above the road or a separate segregated lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

While I don't believe they are a scourge, I do agree that they are not fast enough. They do take up space in cycle lanes and make it hard for cyclists to overtake.

They have no indicators and I mentioned elsewhere that might be risky to expect them to take a hand off the bars to hand indicate - small wheels, bad cycles lanes - could wobble into a crash easily I'd say but I've never been on one for any length of time. I've never seen one go 30kmph - most of the ones I meet seem to be doing 20 or so. 30 would have them overtaking most commuting cyclists - maybe that's the way it should go.

Footpaths should be left for those on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Actually they're ideal last mile transportation, you can bring them on the train or bus and then use them at the end of the journey, they can be brought inside in most places of work too... Incredible we haven't legalised them considering the congestion in most of our main cities and towns.

Especially since most of them fold up!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Anus Von Skidmark

They go up to 30k, which is the speed limit around the city in most spots, so that's grand.

The ones I see going around Dublin aren't going anywhere near 30Kph - I don't think I've ever seen one keeping pace with bike traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭ted1

marvin80 wrote: »
    Bikes, e-bikes and e-scooters - if they get more cars off the road I see it as a good thing.

"It is clear that they have potential to reduce traffic congestion, improve air quality, and promote active travel"

I dint believe e scooters are getting drivers off the road. Maybe out of public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ted1 wrote: »
    I dint believe e scooters are getting drivers off the road. Maybe out of public transport.
    Maybe, but if that's out of a capacity bus or dart, that may free up space for someone else.

The attraction I see is that it's zero effort - so you can do it in your work clothes (even under waterproofs), and then pick up your scooter and leave it beside your desk/ at the back of the meeting. I'd be tempted for when I have to go across town for meetings, as I'd rather that than a taxi, which I figure is one less car journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

ted1 wrote: »

I think they would. Think about someone who can get a train that leaves them over 30 min walk from their work, thats getting too much so chances are the person will drive.
    But if they had option of e-scooter they could get the train and then use the scooter for the last bit.

Someone isn't going to use it to replace going on a bus or train for any decent distance, but for short distances that they would have had to walk they are ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We can't all be a scourge. I thought that was bikes? I suppose bikes not in the bike lane are a scourge, so escooters IN the bike lanes can also be a scourge therefore

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭cletus

Is there a minimum speed limit on cycle lanes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭SteM

They won't get people out of cars, only the stick will do that.

They seem to be a great last mile solution though. Before now someone might have used a Dublin Bike to get from thir bus stop to near their office, now they'll use a scooter to go straight to their door. Not sure how that solves congestion or helps the environment as some are suggesting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I have one , not the xiaomi 365 you see everywhere though.

Mine hits 55 km per hour mind you it cost me 1400 euro !!

I'll have a vid up at some stage with me bombing along on it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The ones I see going around Dublin aren't going anywhere near 30Kph - I don't think I've ever seen one keeping pace with bike traffic.

It probably depends on the scooter. I see several every day on my commute and all of them are faster than the bikes around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

italodisco wrote: »
    I have one , not the xiaomi 365 you see everywhere though.

Mine hits 55 km per hour mind you it cost me 1400 euro !!

I'll have a vid up at some stage with me bombing along on it lol

If you're not just trolling you're asking to get a driving without insurance conviction and you'd deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Searchers

Do "they" pay road tax? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

With a potential rapid take up of a this new mode of transport on the horizon now is the time for the government to get serious and start de allocating space from cars in a big way and allocating that space to all of the greener travel modes.

At the moment they seem to be clinging on to the tired old notion that they can only make changes that don't impact car drivers, when that should in fact be a desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've used Lime or Bird rental e-scooters for three or four months. They cost about 1€ to unlock then 10 or 15¢ per minute.

Works out quite cheaply but I do think most people using them were doing so instead of either public transport or walking. Capacity and congestion on public transport is of course an issue everywhere but nowhere near as close as traffic congestion. They might be part of a solution of a policy showing people that it was much quicker and cheaper to take public transport e.g. scooter train scooter taking less time than a car and being cheaper.

Personally I find them a bit dodgy safety wise. Going along at 28kmh standing straight is much faster than it seems but very easy to lose control. I wouldn't use them on open roads anymore for that reason and see much more prospects in shared (both Dublin bikes type and free standing Uber Jump) or folding ebikes. 28kmh on a heavy bike just feels so much more natural and safe to me than standing on a scooter, and the effort required is minimal.

From a pure sustainability standpoint, I'd love to know how long the average shared scooter survives on the streets. I'm sure it could be measured in weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Duckjob wrote: »
    With a potential rapid take up of a this new mode of transport on the horizon now is the time for the government to get serious and start de allocating space from cars in a big way and allocating that space to all of the greener travel modes.

At the moment they seem to be clinging on to the tired old notion that they can only make changes that don't impact car drivers, when that should in fact be a desired effect.
    You can't take space away until there is somewhere for those people to go i.e. public transport plan comes first. Electric cars are greener modes of transport anyway! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭Duckjob

is_that_so wrote: »
    You can't take space away until there is somewhere for those people to go i.e. public transport plan comes first. Electric cars are greener modes of transport anyway! :p

Of course you can. Its a matter of tipping the balance in favour of active transport. People need a bit of firm encouragement because frankly some of them need to be peeled out of their cars.

Your objection is like trying to put the cart before the horse. We can't implement a decent public transport or decent walking/cycling space etc while cars are given the lions share of space in our cities. With the reallocated from cars we can accomodate far better travel and public transport infra.

Electric cars will ease local air pollution somewhat, but they're no zero help to easing the congestion that's crippling our cities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What have they got to do with bicycles/cycling? :confused:
    on the face of it, not much. however, much of the facilities/demands/etc. in relation to providing infrastructure are possibly not much difference to cycling, i guess.

it's possible that this move from the RSA could be good for cyclists. though i am sceptical that (so far) scooters have made any dent in the number of cars on the road. i'm not aware of any surveys of scooter usage so far in ireland which might indicate whether they're used to displace cars; i wouldn't be surprised to learn that they fill a gap in a commute where the walk would be too long for some people, but the cycle would be too short.

Advertisement