Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Much better week for me - feeling stronger physically and psychologically and I can't wait to race in Tullamore on Saturday - especially after reading everyone's race reports this week.

Glad you're feeling more confident.
    Doc76 wrote: »

This week got all the miles in, again a touch too fast probably. Finding it harder to slow down, especially today after racing yesterday. I feel like I should feel happier about my result yesterday (came in under goal time) but annoyed about not pacing it as well as the 10k. I feel like I could’ve pushed it a little harder but the heat and course intimidated me. Will be more confident for the 1/2 in September since the Park will be so fresh in my head and also will hopefully join a pace group for the first time... if they have one for us slower runners that is :)

I have an event on Friday that will make an LSR on Saturday not very pleasant so thinking I might try to get it done Thursday if possible (if not will do it Sunday morning as Plan B).

My favourite part of training so far was racing the south Dublin 10k. I was so happy with that day and want to capture that feeling again... the elusive perfect race ;)

The last time I raced the Race Series Half, the slowest pacer was 2:10. A quick Google is not throwing much light on the situation for this year.

FWIW, I think you paced the 10 mile perfectly. A conservative start was always going to be the best start for that course and the weather made that even more important.
    Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes

In other news...
    Am genuinely a little bit nervous about the upcoming 19miles. I found this weeks 16m almost as difficult as the last one we did (week 6) and the effort appears to have been the same according to HR data on Strava, despite the previous 16m being much more hilly. Maybe it can be explained by the 10mile race last week? The final 2m felt like a slog, so naturally I am wondering how I will cope for the remaining 5m this weekend. Good news is that I will most likely have company for it again, which will help a little.

When people said to me last year that the end of your long run was designed to replicate the last few miles of the marathon, I thought they were mad and that the marathon would be way harder. Turns out they were right. It's not really supposed to be easy. Try and not get too nervous. Look at all the miles and LSRs you've under your belt to date. You'll be fine with the 19.
    eabha19 wrote: »
    -
    - My PMP miles were a little faster on Wednesday, the main reason being that I did them in the morning rather than after work as I usually do - felt much easier and didn't really realise until the miles pinged that they were a bit faster than usual.

- the end of each long run is a great feeling both of relief and accomplishment. I also have a nerdy love of filling in my spreadsheet with my weekly mileage on a Sunday evening!!

Good thing DCM is in the morning :D

There is absolutely nothing nerdy about the spreadsheet love :p

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes, all done.

Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

I think so.
    Tuesday: 4 miles @ 10.07 per mile
    Wednesday: 7 miles @ 9.47 per mile
    Thursday: 4 miles @ 10.18 per mile
    Saturday: 2 miles @ 10.30 per mile
    Sunday: 13.1 miles @ 8.17 per mile

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

I really enjoyed the race yesterday in Clonmel. I do all my training on my own, in the countryside, so it's always a treat to run with other people.

I live in a very hilly area which naturally slows me down and keeps my training pace nice and slow. It was great to see if there was a bit of speed in my legs yesterday.

Also, huge respect to the guy who ran by me yesterday, in his late 60s, wearing tracksuit legs and what looked like work boots. A good dose of humility is always appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

How was week nine for you?
    - Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

Yes all runs completed, getting there on the consistency.

- Did you complete all the runs at an appropriate pace?

Slowed the LSR down to 11:21, i know i this is still too fast but am working on it every day. I done 14.5 miles and felt better finishing then i did last week.

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any )

I started this journey last November by doing the coach to 10K program. At the time i couldn't do day 1 which was run for 1 minute. Yesterday i completed 14.5 miles. its amazing how the body responds to the training. I am having a bit of a tough time lately from a mental point of view and i am finding the training giving me real structure. By allowing me to achieve weekly goals is really boosting my confidence. I am also doing all the training by meself and i am loving the alone time and head space it is giving me.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

All completed!

Thought this week was great. Really enjoyed it.

Not exactly, first run of the week was too quick. Sorry Huzzah and Mr G.

3 Mile - 8:49/Mile The weather just turned and it was particularly gross so just wanted to stay warm and get back to the office.

6 Mile - 10:07/Mile Happy with this pace.

FD 10 Mile - 8:53/Mile

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any )

Highlight was running the furthest I've ever run on the 14 Mile LSR last week. It really felt amazing that I've broken new ground and I was able to do it with my friend by my side which made it even better. :-)

Quick Frank Duffy Race Report:

I couldn't get to sleep until about 01:30 on Friday/Saturday morning... I slept too much on Thursday so I think this was my downfall. Got up around 06:15 and went down to get some breakfast. Completely forgot to buy bananas. Oops. So I ate 4 Fairy buns with jam and had a strong coffee and went back to lay in bed for a snooze but was too nervy to doze off. Got picked up by Ais just after 8 and we made it into the park nice and early.

We were both pretty nervous but really enjoyed the MC's commentary and the hustle and bustle of people getting ready. I downed a 750ml water then another with a zero tab in it for the craic. Quick bathroom visit then it was on to the start line.

We slotted ourselves in the second pack, can't remember what expected time this was.. Maybe 1hr40m plus? I was quite happy with this as I started off nice and slow and got a good warm up.

Splits below:

1 - 8:58
    2 - 8:00
    3 - 8:37
    4 - 8:28
    5 - 8:39
    6 - 9:00
    7 - 8:34
    9 - 8:33
    9 - 8:34
    10 - 8:58

I'm delighted with my official finish time of 1:28:41. I felt super strong over the course of the whole race and probably could have pushed it a little more but I didn't want to overdo it and end up disappointed. I made up lots of time on the downhills and chilled out a bit on the uphills. Took one glass of water at first stop and realised I needed more so took two at the second and third water stops. I just went to the last table on the left and walked a bit and drank the water and popped the empties in the bin and continued on. I took a gel at the 7mile/hour mark and felt like this gave me a little boost and stomach felt fine. Average heart rate according to wristwatch was 167 (I think this can be taken with a large pinch of salt.)

Well done everyone. Loved reading the reports. And if Saturday didn't go to plan, at least you can learn from it before the half and big one in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? / How was week nine for you?

Had a cold for last week and a half. Was off work for Monday & Tuesday so took the rest of the week as rest, and did 2 miles on Thursday to try and get back to it, conscious of race on Sat.

Thursday - 2 miles @ 10:28 /mi
    Sat - Frank Duffy 10 Mile - 10:55 /mi

At the halfway point, what has been your favorite moment of the training to date? (If any )
    The 12 miles 2 weeks I felt strong completing, after a weak 10 miles the week before!
    Also, running the Frank Duffy, after a very sh**ty 2 weeks of feeling ill, feel like I'm back in action again now after a blip.

Frank Duffy Race Report
    Friday
    I had my work party, so had 3/4 drinks over the course of the day (very hard to avoid drinks at a free bar!!) & made conscious effort to eat a healthy dinner option and drink lots of water.

Sat Morning
    Woke up at 7, and had some granola and yogurt. Had a coffee in the car on the way to park. Nearly at Smithfield when I realise I forgot my bloody number! Panic and think can I make it home again & back, but reality, no way. Decide to run it either way. Cycle up to the park & drop the bike off. Called to a tent to see if there is anything I can do without my number - A very kind lady replaces my number, free of charge. Delighted with this, I go & line up 90+ minutes.

Miles 1-3
    Start of conservative. Pace a few people in my group and feeling strong. There is a group of ladies running, and one has a 30 badge on & are singing tunes, so these girls provide some jollies as I run along. The heat is beating down though & glad to see the water station at mile 3.

Miles 4-6 still feeling good, but legs feel tired after quick stop & starting again at the water station at mile 6.

Mile 6 onwards, try & pick up the pace here, I'm over half way, so it is all good. Faster pace feels grand, and I'm thinking should of I been running faster to begin with?

Around mile 8 I get a a twinge in my right glute that continues for the rest of the race. Not enough to stop me, but I keep thinking about it which is annoying.

Mile 9 and I see the hill, holy god. I just about get to the top of it, and need to walk for a few hundred metres here. Mentally feeling busted now. A few around me start picking up the pace at 800 meters, so I do it too, nearly there I can see the finish line.

Come in at 1.51.03 - happy with that given the week before, but thinking could I have given more, and I think I could of! Something to work on for the half!

Well done to everyone with their efforts over the last week and those who completed the FD on Sat! & also thanks for all the encouragement on Strava folks :) It really helps being part of this thread for motivation, when you are doing it by yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

Well done all on the hard work over the weekend
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Homework
    - At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any :pac:)

All runs done & at the right ish pace.
    Those of ye on strava might have seen my, eh, nutty LSR :o
    I had two different stags over the weekend, & work Friday so my LSR was started at 04:27 on Friday morning. It was on a large section of the Clonakilty marathon, it's a gorgeous part of the world but you don't see much with moonlight :P The course itself is challenging, just up and down hills all the time. It was amazing and I'm still buzzing after doing it, so that's my favourite run so far.

P.S. you've never had a fright until a cow coughs inside a ditch you are running past in the dark :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Wombled

I did the half last year, they had pacer right up to 2.30, although they only mentioned having them to 2.10

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sunday Runner

@jackc101 before I post anything, can I just commend you on that LSR on those hills in the middle of the night! You ran by my in-laws - had I known you were doing that route, I would have had them leave out some uisce for you! They are well used to me!

Morning all,

I did indeed. I had to run 10K on Wednesday night to get the mileage in, due to work commitments and all that. I didn't want to run or hit the gym on Friday before the race.

Nope, i'm definitely running too fast, but i'm trying to slow right down. I'm struggling with pace. That's why i love those pacers!

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any )

I like the long runs, especially when the miles go up and up. It's a great feeling! I enjoyed the Frank Duffy 10 mile race, I felt comfortable and in control of my running for most of the race.

I'm absolutely loving the race reports, I feel like i'm back in the Phoenix Park again. I must start to pay more attention to my thoughts at each mile marker!

Short Frank Duffy 10 Mile Report
    Arrived at the park at about 9ish, managed to get a nice parking spot and strolled down to the race start. Joined the queue for the loo, dropped my bag and got myself somewhat ready. I was with my husband and a friend, but both were aiming for 90+ so they took themselves to the back of the groups. I was running with a work friend, we are both fairly similar in times, but lately he is bombing out in the last quarter and struggling, so we decided to start the run together with an understanding that we wouldn't hold each other back.

The race started and we were nice and handy from the start, just cruising along, with a bit of weaving in and out to jockey for a nice comfortable position in the pack. There were some walkers in the middle of the road and people were getting quite agitated with them. It takes me ages to settle into a run, but I was doing grand on Saturday and I didn't feel like I was going to die. I lost my colleague at the first hill, I kept turning around to make sure he was still with me, but I almost buckled myself off a kerb and made the decision not to look back again.

I was delighted to see the 5 mile marker and at this stage I said to someone who was struggling "you're doing great, we're on the home stretch now." She looked at me like I had two heads and then burst out laughing. Typically I tend to be stronger, physically and mentally in the second half of anything. That could be the Crossfit type training that I do? Where we do 5 rounds for time, I get quicker on rounds 3, 4, 5 when I have broken the back on something and i'm focusing on the end. Anyway, back to the race...

At the second water station, I took a gel and threw some water over my head and in the direction of my mouth. I only took one gel and I had to carry it in my hand, as it was leaking! :-) At this stage of the race, I was delighted to be feeling ok and I also had banked some time, so I knew even if i slowed a little, I would still do ok.

The hills didn't bother me in the slightest, i shortened my stride and powered through them and I passed dozens of people. The training I did in West Cork certainly stood to me. In comparison there are no hills in the Phoenix Park!! The hardest stretch was the last 400/500m to the finish line, I threw anything I had left in the tank at it. I honestly couldn't have given anything more to that race!

My feet are blistered and a bit sore, but i'm otherwise grand. I need to work on race fuel, my stomach wasn't well at all after the run and I had had a decent breakfast, hydrated well, ate within 30 mins of the run etc. and I still wasn't right. I'm going to try the Maurten gels this weekend.

My goal was to come in under 1:30, maybe even under 1:29:21, which was a new 10 mile PB that I had set during the RnR half marathon a few weeks ago. My chip time was 1:26:28 so i'm pretty happy. To put this into perspective my 10 mile chip time from 2018 was 1:45:32.

Thank you moderators and fellow runners, your support on Strava and indeed this board is fabulous. I'm genuinely excited for the next 9 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

Wombled wrote: »
    I did the half last year, they had pacer right up to 2.30, although they only mentioned having them to 2.10

Thanks Huzzah! And Wombled :) fingers crossed that will be the case again this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Doc76

py wrote: »
    I didn't fuel during it at all so I was wondering if people consumed bars/gels to fuel during the FD10? Last food was about 2.5 hours before the race start time. I'd taken on a bowl of porridge with berries and a banana along with a good chunk of yoghurt and blueberries.

How did people pace the sharp ascents/descents?

I had toast with peanut butter, banana, honey and cinnamon and some iced black coffee at about 730 the morning of the race. I took a gel at the second water station but I take a lot longer than you to run 10 miles :) I did it just to practice and see how I tolerated it. I use hi5 aqua gels not sure if they do much to be honest but I did have a strong second half of the race.

I always tend to slow down a little on descents and then lean in and try to “speed” up the hills but that’s just a personal preference I think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Week 9 was a weird one for me!! Weds found me doing the toughest run to date more mentally than anything but for the 1st time since starting wondering why i was doing this & if i should continue :eek:
    Then comes Sat FD 10mile & i had such an amazing race & felt stronger both mentally & physically:D Really shows a bad day isn't the end ;)

Yes all runs completed!

Yep

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any :pac:)

I really think at this stage it has to be completing my longest run but also knowing its gonna be longer next time. I think i have gained so much knowledge & confidence from this group & i am so happy i found it. Like many i train alone most of the time but just the encouragement & help from people here on this thread & on strava is like getting a virtual smile from yis as i pass by :D We have all come so far & it really is great reading all the updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Ais_Byrne7

Yes I sure did :)

Still running a bit too fast on my midweek runs, whereas I also feel I could have pushed it slightly more during race day on Sat.
    Tuesday: 3 mile @ 10.07
    Thursday: 6 mile @ 10.22
    Saturday: 10 mile @ 9.55 (FD RACE)
    Cross: yoga

Definitely running my longest distance to date with my running bud - and telling the WHOLE WIDE WORLD (regardless if they wanted to know or not) after it!

This week for me will prove a bit of a challenge. I work in Events and this week I've Electric Picnic. I'll be up and down to the site all week, moving down to stay on Friday, coming back on the Sunday night/Monday morning. Working at the event is always energy draining - and I'm freaking about how I'm going to squeeze the time and find the energy to get all my runs in. The plan is to re-jig my run schedule a bit with 3m tonight, 4m Wednesday and 15m LSR on Thursday. This way I'll be missing only one mid-week run - would anyone else have other suggestions?

Wishing everyone the best of weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

eabha19 wrote: »
    - the end of each long run is a great feeling both of relief and accomplishment. I also have a nerdy love of filling in my spreadsheet with my weekly mileage on a Sunday evening!!

I love doing this too. I just got back from holidays and had a nice three weeks to fill in. I've made graphs of my mileage throughout the year as well as the increasing distance of my long runs. Looking at the graphs going up and up gives a great sense of accomplishment.

I managed to stick roughly to my plan for the three weeks I was away despite forgetting to bring a copy with me (I had a copy that I'd emailed to myself ages ago but I'd made lots of changes since). Longest run was 17 miles and highest mileage week was around 42 miles. Last week was a step back week for me so I did around 30 miles overall with an 11-mile LSR.

The one thing that's really been lacking in my training is PMP miles. I think I've only done two runs so far with PMP miles - mostly because I became obsessed with getting enough easy runs in (thanks, mentors!). I ran a five-mile race on holidays which I attempted to do at a PMP of 9 min miles but failed - I had the wrong pace indicator on my Garmin, which led me ridiculously astray, and I'm a bit worried that I wasn't able to tell how far off my desired pace I was (averaging around 8:19 rather than 9:00). I definitely need more practice at this.

On the plus side, three weeks spent running in various hilly locations in England and west Cork (2000 metres of elevation since the start of August!) has improved my hill fitness no end. By the time I went home my heart rate was staying in the aerobic zone even on fairly steep hills.

Mileage is back up this coming week with around 42 miles in total over five runs, including an 18-mile long run.

kyomi wrote: »
    I love doing this too. I just got back from holidays and had a nice three weeks to fill in. I've made graphs of my mileage throughout the year as well as the increasing distance of my long runs. Looking at the graphs going up and up gives a great sense of accomplishment.

I managed to stick roughly to my plan for the three weeks I was away despite forgetting to bring a copy with me (I had a copy that I'd emailed to myself ages ago but I'd made lots of changes since). Longest run was 17 miles and highest mileage week was around 42 miles. Last week was a step back week for me so I did around 30 miles overall with an 11-mile LSR.

The one thing that's really been lacking in my training is PMP miles. I think I've only done two runs so far with PMP miles - mostly because I became obsessed with getting enough easy runs in (thanks, mentors!). I ran a five-mile race on holidays which I attempted to do at a PMP of 9 min miles but failed - I had the wrong pace indicator on my Garmin, which led me ridiculously astray, and I'm a bit worried that I wasn't able to tell how far off my desired pace I was (averaging around 8:19 rather than 9:00). I definitely need more practice at this.

On the plus side, three weeks spent running in various hilly locations in England and west Cork (2000 metres of elevation since the start of August!) has improved my hill fitness no end. By the time I went home my heart rate was staying in the aerobic zone even on fairly steep hills.

Mileage is back up this coming week with around 42 miles in total over five runs, including an 18-mile long run.

Fair play on the holiday running. Do you have many PMP sessions planned over the next few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭kyomi

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Fair play on the holiday running. Do you have many PMP sessions planned over the next few weeks?

Not really. I was going to decide each week whether I could fit one in and when. But now that I think about it, it's probably a better idea to write some into my plan now. I tend to do a medium-long run on Thursdays (9 miles) so I'll put some PMP miles in the middle of these.

Probably getting the two 16 milers done successfully. I've got both the luxury and the distraction of comparing everything to my previous attempt at this 5 years ago. What I got badly wrong that time around was everything over 15 miles and pacing in general. It's a luxury to know that.
    The distraction is comparing the build up times. I came into both marathon attempts off very similar Terenure 5 mile times. Five years ago I went on to run 44min 10k, 1.14 10mile. This time if gone 51min 10k and 1.26 10mile. In frustrated that I'm so far off those times. But keep reminding myself that I burnt out the last time and this time it's all about the marathon endurance, keep having to remind myself to trust the system!

I really wouldn't compare race results so far apart. It's really hard to remember what the conditions were like and how heavy your training load was in the run up to each race. Trust in the process!
    DBB wrote: »

But honestly, for me, the bestest thing has been the personal development... the reality that I'm actually doing this! I really didn't think I ever could or would. The discovery that I can be really disciplined, and stick to a plan that, barring disaster, will get me to the start line feeling ready to run a MARATHON!!! ME?!! Reeeally??!!

I still feel like this every time a run goes into the double digits.

Week 9 was good, feel like we've broken the back on the training and finish line (starting line) is coming into sight.

Yes, did the runs posted for those people not running the FD 10 mile.

Monday - 14.5M @ 8.49 m/m. This is the lsr I missed.
    Tuesday - 4 @ 8.18 m/m.
    Wednesday - 7 @ 8.34 m/m.
    Friday - 17 @ 8.57 m/m.
    Saturday - 3.75 @ match and 3.1 @ 11.04 m/m.
    Sunday - 1.5 @ match.

I ran the recovery on Sunday with someone and I was interested to see what my heart rate was like. I've come to the conclusion regardless of how slow I run my heart rate will be at similar levels.

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?

I suppose I'm happy with how rigidly I've stuck the schedule, I've only missed 2 or 3 runs and I've made up 2 of them so really feel I'm giving myseld every opportunity to succeed.

I'm impressed with how far I've come, over 50 miles this week between running, football training and matches, looking at garmin in August 2018 I did 13 miles total for the month.

Now I'd like to see the results in that training show on Tullamore next week with a strong run.

You HR was a good bit higher during the 10 mile race, so I think if if you slowed your runs, your HR would be lower.

Also, I made a joke about it earlier, but please don't try and catch up on missed runs, particularly in such a tight timeframe.

I hope Tullamore goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Homework

Everything was going well, was feeling good and rested coming in to Saturday, but couldn't handle the heat in the FD10 and missed my target by quite a way. Not going to try to read too much in to it though. Move on and pick things up again.

All runs completed.

All at an appropriate pace, except for the race, which should have been quicker :P

At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date? (If any )

Two things really, seeing everyone progressing here and on Strava is great. Personally, the midweek session the week before last (with 8 miles alternating @ MP +/- 25 seconds) and my second 18 miler, which seemed easier than the first. For me these two runs really increased my confidence that I can do this!

kyomi wrote: »
    Not really. I was going to decide each week whether I could fit one in and when. But now that I think about it, it's probably a better idea to write some into my plan now. I tend to do a medium-long run on Thursdays (9 miles) so I'll put some PMP miles in the middle of these.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe drop or reduce any other session-type runs in the week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

@jackc101 before I post anything, can I just commend you on that LSR on those hills in the middle of the night! You ran by my in-laws - had I known you were doing that route, I would have had them leave out some uisce for you! They are well used to me!

I pre-dropped a bottle along the route and I hopefully won't be doing anything that daft again, but cheers!

Should I assume that everyone who raced at the weekend is still suffering from doms? There's an option of a recovery run in the HHN1 today but I'm going to take it as a rest day, albeit commuting on the bike as usual. Will need to stretch and roll today to get the legs ready for resuming the plan tomorrow.

Still running through the post mortem in my head and trying to see where I could've improved at the FD10 on Saturday.

I didn't fuel during it at all so I was wondering if people consumed bars/gels to fuel during the FD10? Last food was about 2.5 hours before the race start time. I'd taken on a bowl of porridge with berries and a banana along with a good chunk of yoghurt and blueberries.

A brief 5-10 second stop at the middle water stop to take on fluids may have proved beneficial to me later in the race.

I think you had quite a good race, although you'd a bit of a struggle for the last couple of k? Potentially sticking to the 1.25 pacing advice would've had you finishing stronger, but it was a good debut at the distance.

• Advertisement

Homework

Everything was going well, was feeling good and rested coming in to Saturday, but couldn't handle the heat in the FD10 and missed my target by quite a way. Not going to try to read too much in to it though. Move on and pick things up again.

All runs completed.

All at an appropriate pace, except for the race, which should have been quicker :P

Two things really, seeing everyone progressing here and on Strava is great. Personally, the midweek session the week before last (with 8 miles alternating @ MP +/- 25 seconds) and my second 18 miler, which seemed easier than the first. For me these two runs really increased my confidence that I can do this!

Sorry the race didn’t go your way but your comment made me laugh. It seems that most with a similar aim to you ended up with a similar result, so you don't need me to tell you to not get too disheartened by the result.

What half are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭py

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I think you had quite a good race, although you'd a bit of a struggle for the last couple of k? Potentially sticking to the 1.25 pacing advice would've had you finishing stronger, but it was a good debut at the distance.

Cheers, I certainly think it went well too given my lack of experience. I guess I'm just always looking to see where it can be improved upon, even with the smallest of changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cheers, I certainly think it went well too given my lack of experience. I guess I'm just always looking to see where it can be improved upon, even with the smallest of changes.

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself. You ran a good race. Races hurt when you run them well. Struggling towards the end is part of the 'fun' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Sorbet

A bit late with the race report but still wanted to get my recollections down.

Arrived about 9am, parked the car and followed the stream of runners to the start area – great buzz about the place. As I’m doing my marathon training alone I love these events, really feel you’re part of a community.

Placed myself in the middle of wave 2 for the plus 90 minute targets. I myself had looked at the calculators and although the South Dublin 10k time I had suggested I could target just sub 1h30m, I knew myself that I wouldn’t manage that without a really serious effort and decided ahead of time not to push too hard for that. Sub 1h35m was the more realistic goal.

Huzzah! Had given me some great advice on the forum last week re pacing the first half conservatively – I’m so glad I asked as I think this was the making of me really enjoying the run. That said I had set out to do 5.35km if I could and then ease back from there if I needed to.

First km I knew would be a little slow due to the weaving. As a racing novice I’m still a bit hesitant to move to the front end of a wave even if the time is right for me – lost about 25 seconds in the first km but no drama. 2nd and 3rd kms the road opened out a bit and I paced them identically at 5.32 – even though this had a reasonable decline and a number of people were passing me on the downhills I decided to stick with Huzzah!’s plan and keep it consistent and conservative. When I came to the first uphill I stayed consistent and started passing back a lot of people – 4th Km 5.36.

It seemed to me that kms 5 through 10 were a bit of an uphill drag and I started to feel the pinch – I decided then that keeping at the 5.35 was going to be too hard so I decided on the sub 1h35m target as the target for the day. By km 10 though my pace had slipped to 6.09km and I had stared to worry that I wasn’t going to make my goal. 5th 5.47, 6th 5.44, 7th 5.57, 8th 5.52, 9th 6.05, 10th 6.09.

Somewhere past the zoo I had an aqua gel – not sure if it was a placebo or had a real impact or if it was just levelling out of the course but I started to feel much much better and the goal felt a lot more attainable. Met a work colleague who had started out too fast and was going backwards – was passing a lot of people here who were walking. More than once I silently thanked Huzzah! for the pacing advice which I really felt was the key to success on this course. Pace started to slowly improve. 11th 5.52, 12th 5.41, 13th 5.37, 14th 5.34. On this stretch really enjoyed the experience with the crowds, high fiving kids on the side of the road etc.

Like most people I struggled with taking on water with the cups so by the third water stop I decided to take a different approach – seemed to be mainly staffed by kids on this one who were shouting “does anyone want to be splashed” I got three lads to drench me – good fun and really cooled me down!

I knew there was an uphill toward the finish but my spirits were so high at this stage I probably attacked it a little too hard and suffered a bit here – did pass a lot of people but pace dropped off. 15th 6.01, 16th 5.41. With about 850m to go was humbled as I caught the young man in the race wheelchair (?) who was being pushed by his family – there was I struggling in the heat and the hill with just me to think about and they were pushing another up the hill – amazing. The man pushing was great encouraging everyone – lied that there was only 500 metres to go and told me to push to the finish – how could I refuse! Put in an effort at a sprint towards the finish but can’t say that it was stellar – crossed the line at 1.34.08. A PB as it was my first race at the distance but was really happy to have made my more conservative goal of 1h35m.

In truth I didn’t put the same effort into the 10 mile as I had the 10k but I’m conscious of “keeping the main thing the main thing” and that I have a 19 mile LSR coming up. My last two LSRs, while completed, haven’t been easy so a bit daunted by the longer distance.

Really enjoyed the race and as we reach half way in the training plan I have to pinch myself – to think I could run a 10 mile race in the Phoenix Park, hold my own, run the whole way and most importantly enjoy the experience. It is not an understatement to say that I would not have had this experience to date without the input of the mentors and all the encouragement from everyone in the group. Thanks so much to all – I’m already beginning to worry what I’ll do when the novice group is no more!!

On a final note – enjoying everyone else’s successes on Strava, whether it be great times or getting it done when going through real struggles – well done all. For the nerds among you I only spotted the fly by functionality today on Strava when you are on the desktop version – doesn’t serve any great purpose but was great to plot your progress against some other members from the group in the race – a bit like Relive, just a gimmick but thought I’d mention it. I'll get my coat :o

Happy running all.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Happy enough with the overall result from week 9. I got all the runs done, except the 4 miles easy on Thursday. I had some problems with my right knee, as some times it seemed like it was too weak to support me when I was running or standing on it. I don't think I've explained it very well. I decided to miss Thursday and have 2 days rest before the LSR on Saturday. I was absolutely delighted with the run 28.32 KMs at @ 6.16 pace. I took 2 gels and 2 zero tabs with water. I felt good afterwards and no problem with the knee. Enjoyed reading all the race reports from you all. My highlight is just getting out and running every week and just loving it. Roll on week 10 of 18. This is getting Real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It depends on the situation a lot of the time. In training some people like to maintain a consistent pace no matter the gradient, whereas others prefer to ease the pace back a bit on a climb and pick it up on a descent. On easy runs, I usually judge it by effort, keeping the effort easy no matter the pace.

In a race it's a different matter, and quiet relevant as we look towards DCM. In the early stages of a race I'll be very conscious of not getting too carried away on climbs. Your legs will be fresher at the start obviously, so you may be inclined to go too fast up hills with the result that you pay for this at the back end of the race.

We will repeat this ad nauseam in the coming weeks and months, but the best piece of advice for DCM pacing strategy is to take a very circumspect approach to the first seven miles in particular. Miles 2-7 are a long gradual climb, and comes at a stage where it is easy to get carried away on fresh legs at a pace that is too fast. Manage this stage well and leave others stream past you - you will reap the rewards 15-20 miles down the road.

As regards your own Frank Duffy race at the weekend, I'd agree with Huzzah! that possibly starting out at 1:25 pace would have left you capable of a stronger finish, but really we are being very picky, as skyblue46 says you ran a good race. As the race distances increase, it is really hard to estimate finishing times and judge the appropriate paces and effort - even very experienced runners will almost always feel like they could have managed a race better. You ran a very good race on Saturday.

Wombled wrote: »
    Week

Homework

It was a funny week, I didn't know what to be doing with one less run . I went swimming instead

3 mile 12.11( I ran this with a friend, took our time and chatted going around)

6 mile 11.41 avg per mile

FD 10 mile 10.59 average per mile. I was conscious not to go too quick at the beginning. 1st mile was 10.31, 2nd mile 9.59, although I felt comfortable at this pace I found it hard to pace it . Maybe the 2nd mile was too quick.

I didn't weave like I would normally do. I have found since I have increased my distance my pace is definitely alot slower than when I was just doing 10km races.

Funnily enough, I really look forward to my long runs, the early morning starts and the peace and quiet time on my own.

I love the head space I get during runs too. Some days I'll solve all the worlds problems, other days I will empty my head completely and just enjoy the moment.

Pacing is a race is an important skill and requires practice. You're aware of the need for it so you already have one up on many who will be beside you on the start line of DCM.

I'd love to see your easy pace at 12:30/mile, or thereabouts.
    Treviso wrote: »
    How was week 10 for you?
    Yup all runs completed this week. Was a stepback week for me with no racing

Well I think I did anyway ;);)

- At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?
    With no race taken place yet in the plan, my favourite moment was either completing the 20 mile MLR 2 weeks ago or the 12 mile PMP run last week. Both tough but satisfying runs in hindsight.

Do you have a race coming up?

pd79 wrote: »
    Week 10
    Did you complete all runs? Unfortunately no, missed 6 mile midweek run. Ran FD10mile, was happy with how it went.

Favourite moment of training ?
    Finishing the 14 mile lsr, busy week this week so need to plan three mid week runs well !
    Have great week everyone

We are heading into an important phase of the plans now, so do your best to avoid missing runs, and if it is unavoidable, make sure that it is one of the shorter ones that is missed.

Karlos80 wrote: »
    -How was week nine for you?
    Tough. Having done all the training until this week fairly comfortably, looking forward to facing my first race in the FD10M, injury strikes at the worst time. I don't know if following this thread made it tougher looking at all the race reports, or helped with all the encouragement. It's a strange one.
    No, ankle twist with tendon inflammation to weak achilles made sure of that.
    N/A
    2 buckets, 1 hot, 1 cold, alternating foot baths, was my exercise of choice for the week.
    More of that ahead this week, and I'll throw in some cross training and cycling to keep ticking over.
    - At the halfway point, what has been your favourite moment of the training to date?
    Funnily enough, I would have to say the 16mile run last weekend where I picked up my injury, but didn't feel it, I felt strong that day, like I had plenty more miles in the legs. Could barely do 2 the next day and knew something bad happened. Onward and upward, I'll be back, possibly with revised targets if need be.
    On a lighter note, we'll done all the racers this weekend, a lot of impressive running, and heads up to any of my fellow lame folks, keep the faith.

You have a great attitude I must say. Best of luck with the recovery, and as mentioned before, don't rush back for the sake of this marathon - there will be others if the stars don't align this time. Fingers crossed for you.
    Rega wrote: »

Yes, all done.

I think so.
    Tuesday: 4 miles @ 10.07 per mile
    Wednesday: 7 miles @ 9.47 per mile
    Thursday: 4 miles @ 10.18 per mile
    Saturday: 2 miles @ 10.30 per mile
    Sunday: 13.1 miles @ 8.17 per mile

I really enjoyed the race yesterday in Clonmel. I do all my training on my own, in the countryside, so it's always a treat to run with other people.

I live in a very hilly area which naturally slows me down and keeps my training pace nice and slow. It was great to see if there was a bit of speed in my legs yesterday.

Also, huge respect to the guy who ran by me yesterday, in his late 60s, wearing tracksuit legs and what looked like work boots. A good dose of humility is always appreciated :)

10 min/mile looks about right as an easy pace, maybe a touch slower given the hills you mention.

Well done again on Clonmel... that guy in the tracksuit leggings and boots passed me too, around the two mile mark I think. Never saw him again either :eek:
    Irishder wrote: »

Yes all runs completed, getting there on the consistency.

Slowed the LSR down to 11:21, i know i this is still too fast but am working on it every day. I done 14.5 miles and felt better finishing then i did last week.

I started this journey last November by doing the coach to 10K program. At the time i couldn't do day 1 which was run for 1 minute. Yesterday i completed 14.5 miles. its amazing how the body responds to the training. I am having a bit of a tough time lately from a mental point of view and i am finding the training giving me real structure. By allowing me to achieve weekly goals is really boosting my confidence. I am also doing all the training by meself and i am loving the alone time and head space it is giving me.

Wow, that is some progress in 9 months. Well done!

Rojo wrote: »

All completed!

Thought this week was great. Really enjoyed it.

Not exactly, first run of the week was too quick. Sorry Huzzah and Mr G.

3 Mile - 8:49/Mile The weather just turned and it was particularly gross so just wanted to stay warm and get back to the office.

6 Mile - 10:07/Mile Happy with this pace.

FD 10 Mile - 8:53/Mile

Highlight was running the furthest I've ever run on the 14 Mile LSR last week. It really felt amazing that I've broken new ground and I was able to do it with my friend by my side which made it even better. :-)

Quick Frank Duffy Race Report:

I couldn't get to sleep until about 01:30 on Friday/Saturday morning... I slept too much on Thursday so I think this was my downfall. Got up around 06:15 and went down to get some breakfast. Completely forgot to buy bananas. Oops. So I ate 4 Fairy buns with jam and had a strong coffee and went back to lay in bed for a snooze but was too nervy to doze off. Got picked up by Ais just after 8 and we made it into the park nice and early.

We were both pretty nervous but really enjoyed the MC's commentary and the hustle and bustle of people getting ready. I downed a 750ml water then another with a zero tab in it for the craic. Quick bathroom visit then it was on to the start line.

We slotted ourselves in the second pack, can't remember what expected time this was.. Maybe 1hr40m plus? I was quite happy with this as I started off nice and slow and got a good warm up.

Splits below:

1 - 8:58
    2 - 8:00
    3 - 8:37
    4 - 8:28
    5 - 8:39
    6 - 9:00
    7 - 8:34
    9 - 8:33
    9 - 8:34
    10 - 8:58

I'm delighted with my official finish time of 1:28:41. I felt super strong over the course of the whole race and probably could have pushed it a little more but I didn't want to overdo it and end up disappointed. I made up lots of time on the downhills and chilled out a bit on the uphills. Took one glass of water at first stop and realised I needed more so took two at the second and third water stops. I just went to the last table on the left and walked a bit and drank the water and popped the empties in the bin and continued on. I took a gel at the 7mile/hour mark and felt like this gave me a little boost and stomach felt fine. Average heart rate according to wristwatch was 167 (I think this can be taken with a large pinch of salt.)

Well done everyone. Loved reading the reports. And if Saturday didn't go to plan, at least you can learn from it before the half and big one in October.

Well done at the weekend. That looks like a really well executed race. Your pre-race fueling and hydration leaves a lot to be desired though :eek:

I had noticed you've missed one or two runs recently. Try and complete them all in future. Doing the long run on fatigued legs is an important part of building towards completing the 26.2 miles.

And yep, I'd like to see those paces closer to 10:30/mi. :)

Did you complete all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not? / How was week nine for you?

Had a cold for last week and a half. Was off work for Monday & Tuesday so took the rest of the week as rest, and did 2 miles on Thursday to try and get back to it, conscious of race on Sat.

Thursday - 2 miles @ 10:28 /mi
    Sat - Frank Duffy 10 Mile - 10:55 /mi

At the halfway point, what has been your favorite moment of the training to date? (If any )
    The 12 miles 2 weeks I felt strong completing, after a weak 10 miles the week before!
    Also, running the Frank Duffy, after a very sh**ty 2 weeks of feeling ill, feel like I'm back in action again now after a blip.

Frank Duffy Race Report
    Friday
    I had my work party, so had 3/4 drinks over the course of the day (very hard to avoid drinks at a free bar!!) & made conscious effort to eat a healthy dinner option and drink lots of water.

Sat Morning
    Woke up at 7, and had some granola and yogurt. Had a coffee in the car on the way to park. Nearly at Smithfield when I realise I forgot my bloody number! Panic and think can I make it home again & back, but reality, no way. Decide to run it either way. Cycle up to the park & drop the bike off. Called to a tent to see if there is anything I can do without my number - A very kind lady replaces my number, free of charge. Delighted with this, I go & line up 90+ minutes.

Miles 1-3
    Start of conservative. Pace a few people in my group and feeling strong. There is a group of ladies running, and one has a 30 badge on & are singing tunes, so these girls provide some jollies as I run along. The heat is beating down though & glad to see the water station at mile 3.

Miles 4-6 still feeling good, but legs feel tired after quick stop & starting again at the water station at mile 6.

Mile 6 onwards, try & pick up the pace here, I'm over half way, so it is all good. Faster pace feels grand, and I'm thinking should of I been running faster to begin with?

Around mile 8 I get a a twinge in my right glute that continues for the rest of the race. Not enough to stop me, but I keep thinking about it which is annoying.

Mile 9 and I see the hill, holy god. I just about get to the top of it, and need to walk for a few hundred metres here. Mentally feeling busted now. A few around me start picking up the pace at 800 meters, so I do it too, nearly there I can see the finish line.

Come in at 1.51.03 - happy with that given the week before, but thinking could I have given more, and I think I could of! Something to work on for the half!

Well done to everyone with their efforts over the last week and those who completed the FD on Sat! & also thanks for all the encouragement on Strava folks :) It really helps being part of this thread for motivation, when you are doing it by yourself :)

Great to hear that you are back at 100%. Well done on Saturday, it seems like you paced it very sensibly.

• Advertisement

clickhere wrote: »
    Happy enough with the overall result from week 9. I got all the runs done, except the 4 miles easy on Thursday. I had some problems with my right knee, as some times it seemed like it was too weak to support me when I was running or standing on it. I don't think I've explained it very well. I decided to miss Thursday and have 2 days rest before the LSR on Saturday. I was absolutely delighted with the run 28.32 KMs at @ 6.16 pace. I took 2 gels and 2 zero tabs with water. I felt good afterwards and no problem with the knee. Enjoyed reading all the race reports from you all. My highlight is just getting out and running every week and just loving it. Roll on week 10 of 18. This is getting Real.

I had a similar knee issue last year before the marathon and I ended up going to the physio for a few visits, mostly for some exercises to strengthen everything up. It might be an idea if you can swing it.

Advertisement