Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Rikand wrote: »
    This was a 54 strokeplay and now goes into a matchplay scenario for the remainder. 6 holes matches for those who remain

I saw some matchplay thing, thought was just for final cut. This makes more sense

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Dunne through to the quarter finals after two extra holes. He had to ride his luck a little as Jager missed two putts to won the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Just beaten in semi final, missed a good chance on the 5th to bring it back A/S

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Wins the 3/4th place play off. Was 2 up with 2 to play but was pegged back. On the par 3 play off hole he nearly had a hole in one.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Was hoping that he could pull it off after winning with moynihan last year.

At least he's trending in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Great playing from Paul Dunne in the first round of the Corales Puntacana Championship yesterday in the Dominican Republic. The Greystones man shot a 6 under round of 66 to be good enough for a share of the lead. Great stuff from Paul. If he does win he will get him a 2 year exemption on the PGA Tour.

However as this event is played opposite to the WGC Match play, a win here won't qualify him for the Masters. However the most important thing is Paul is in contention for his second pro title. A win here will open up huge avenues for more playing opportunities the pride of Wicklow on the other side of the Atlantic. Fingers crossed for Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

However as this event is played opposite to the WGC Match play, a win here won't qualify him for the Masters. However the most important thing is Paul is in contention for his second third pro title. A win here will open up huge avenues for more playing opportunities the pride of Wicklow on the other side of the Atlantic. Fingers crossed for Paul.

FYP :D

I was out with him a few weeks ago and to say he was impressive is an understatement. That was a casual game (for him anyway), very relaxed and he wasn't as slow as on tour. I know it is different playing comp, but I think if he can block it out a bit and pick up the pace, he will get into contention more. I said it to a good few here that he was on the verge of a win. We all duly lost our shirt when he missed the cut the following week :o

It is coming though.

Seve OB wrote: »
    FYP :D

I was out with him a few weeks ago and to say he was impressive is an understatement. That was a casual game (for him anyway), very relaxed and he wasn't as slow as on tour. I know it is different playing comp, but I think if he can block it out a bit and pick up the pace, he will get into contention more. I said it to a good few here that he was on the verge of a win. We all duly lost our shirt when he missed the cut the following week :o

It is coming though.

What is his driving like in a casual game? It comes across as probably the weakest part of his game on tour in terms of driving accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Exactly wrote: »
    What is his driving like in a casual game? It comes across as probably the weakest part of his game on tour in terms of driving accuracy.

oh man it was so good. Long and straight. He said he is at the longer end of distance on tour, obviously not up with Rors etc, but on average. He was always know to be a long hitter even in his younger days in the club. I think he missed 2 fairways. One bunker, still made par, other was a bad miss out right, behind a tree, had to play out left handed, great approach to about 18ft and lipped out with his par putt. His only bogey in the round. 7 birdies, and to be honest probably had another 3-4 that sat on the edge of the hole including an Eagle effort. He really only missed one putt though, about 4 foot, but it was a tricky downhiller with break. I actually thought his putting was so good. I reckon apart from that miss, he held everything else within 15ft and a few longer ones.

Someone who was at the top end of the tour for over 20 years said to me afterwards, "I knew he was good, but I never knew he was that good". He was really impressed with his driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I have him backed this week - he finished 5th there last year and he fancied his chances there this week ! All going well this week, he could potentially get into the Texas open, and subsequent chance of getting into The Masters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

Good comeback by Paul Dunne today in the second round of the Corales Puntacana Championship. After an double bogey in the par 3 2nd, the pride of Greystones has bounced back with 6 birdies with just a bogey in between. With one hole of his round remaining, Dunne lies at 9 under, one shot behind the lead, which is currently held by Sungjae Im of Korea who's at 10 under.

One fascinating stat and backing up what Seve OB said about his good driving in a recent practice round, is that he is driving the ball very well, 11 out of 13 fairways so far in Round 2. Keep that good play up and in my opinion we could be celebrating a new PGA Tour champion from Ireland come Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Good comeback by Paul Dunne today in the second round of the Corales Puntacana Championship. After an double bogey in the par 3 2nd, the pride of Greystones has bounced back with 6 birdies with just a bogey in between. With one hole of his round remaining, Dunne lies at 9 under, one shot behind the lead, which is currently held by Sungjae Im of Korea who's at 10 under.

One fascinating stat and backing up what Seve OB said about his good driving in a recent practice round, is that he is driving the ball very well, 11 out of 13 fairways so far in Round 2. Keep that good play up and in my opinion we could be celebrating a new PGA Tour champion from Ireland come Sunday evening.

You're super positive on him! Not a bad thing, but its only 36 holes and he is surrounded by players in serious form.

Im is probably the hottest rookie on tour, Badds is coming right back to form after T2 two weeks ago in Puerto Rico.

I think its great to see him up there, but bar a T3 in Australia in the Super Sixes, he hasnt really done anything for nigh on a year. Hopefully he continues the good form to get an entry into Houston, anything else better a huge bonus and confidence boost for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In top 10 only 4 off the lead in Denmark

Does anyone know what Paul Dunne needs to do to get into the 2019 Open (apart from the obvious of winning either of the 4 upcoming events he is playing) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Does anyone know what Paul Dunne needs to do to get into the 2019 Open (apart from the obvious of winning either of the 4 upcoming events he is playing) :)

Final qualifying events in the next couple of weeks. Hes had success qualifying through that route before. Only other way is to win the Irish or Scottish Opens, or if he finishes in the top 10 in either event hel get in if hes in the top 3 players not already exempt. Same way Gmac qualified in Canada last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭paulos53

I don't believe that a win this week will make any difference but I am open to correction.

However the next 3 European Tour events in Valderrama, Ireland and Scotland have 3 qualifying spots each.

Final Qualifying also takes place across 4 venues on the Tuesday before the Irish Open. 3 places available at each venue

This is what happens when Dunne speeds up his routine

https://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1156580278992658432

Does Dunne's exemption from winning the British Masters expire this year?

If so he has a bit of work to do to keep his European Tour Card. He hasn't made a cut since the end of May and has slipped to 96th in rankings.

He is -1 this week 4 holes into his second round with the cut likely to fall at -2 or 3. A lot of the guys just behind him in the rankings are going well so he badly needs a decent week

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

paulos53 wrote: »
    Does Dunne's exemption from winning the British Masters expire this year?

Yes, it does. His career page on the ET website (link below) says the British Masters win was in 2017 and that win has him currently in Category 3....

Winners of 2019 Season tournaments equal to or above 1.75M US Dollars, 2018 Season tournaments equal to or above 1.75M Race to Dubai Points & 2017 Season tournaments equal to or above 1.5M euro

He's had no win in 2018 or 2019 so without a win, he needs to finish in the top 110 of the R2D to keep his card.

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/players/playerid=40115/record/index.html

Picked up a cheque for €10,100 in the Czech Masters (T23) and has moved up three places to 93rd in the R2D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Does anyone have any idea what's happened to Paul this season? His dip in form has been alarming, to say the least.

Hopefully, he'll have a good week in Sweden as he could well end up losing his card if he doesn't turn things around within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

How long was his exemption for winning the British Masters?

He pretty much has his card sorted for next year - think he just needs to make one cut to secure it. Interesting to see on the european tour website - he is well up the rankings for putting on the ET - so if he gets hot with the striking on a given week he could well be back in the winners circle again !

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/stats/index.html

Quad bogey earlier on a par 3

eoghan104 wrote: »
    How long was his exemption for winning the British Masters?

See post #1280.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭abff

Horrible back 9 for Paul today. Hopefully, there'll be better weeks ahead.

11 dropped shots today. Not good.

Hopefully an upturn in form soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Don’t think the focus on speeding up the game is going to be good for him, he is chronically slow

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

Finished 8 over . Missed cut by some distance . Worrying dip in form for Paul unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Trampas

Driving stats are poor. Puts a lot of pressure on rest of game

Advertisement