Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Limerick would have done a better job than Kilkenny today. Congratulations to Tipperary, they made the extra man count

Limerick will absolutely kick themselves they lost that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Well that’s the same as anyone losing any game- they’re not special are they? You lose or win on the day

road_high wrote: »
    Well that’s the same as anyone losing any game- they’re not special are they? You lose or win on the day

True. All a learning curve too. Experience is everything in games. Thats why both Tipp and Kilkenny made it to the decider.

Anyways. What a win by the lads. They were outstanding to a man!! Not sure what the hell Jackie or Shefflin is on about. Clutching at straws big time. Thats an elbow all day long. The front camera angle couldnt be more conclusive. Actually in real time i thought it looked harsh but then i was in the upper hogan up near the scoreboard.

I think Tipp were going to win that game anyway. They were making turnovers all over the field and there was goals there for them even in that first half if they put more ball into Seamie he had the beatings of his marker all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Not at all.

Waited 45 years to win one and last years win is still fresh in the mind.

Reigning League,Munster and All Ireland Champs at one point plus Fenway Cup. Be thankful for what you got as Massive Attack once said.

Congrats on yesterday. A truly brilliant second half performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

Anyone else spot that Tipp broke the rule (if rule is the right word) regarding their entry on to the field. The Clar at the front of the programme had KK down to be out first and Tipp out 2 minutes later. Tipp burst out first and maybe I'm reading too much into it but I felt it was just making an early statement.. We're not going to be second to anyone today. Hon Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Conelan wrote: »
    Anyone else spot that Tipp broke the rule (if rule is the right word) regarding their entry on to the field. The Clar at the front of the programme had KK down to be out first and Tipp out 2 minutes later. Tipp burst out first and maybe I'm reading too much into it but I felt it was just making an early statement.. We're not going to be second to anyone today. Hon Tipp

The cats broke from the parade and ran through the tipp line behind the band.

I wouldn’t read too much into that ‘laying down a marker’ stuff.

You do your talking on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That whole chapter on Tipp was bad form imo.

Can we dedicate that win to Jackie Tyrrell? ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Fantastic to be back as all Ireland champions, this really is a special bunch. All the Sweeter that it was against Kilkenny. An all merciful hiding, 14 points. One great trait of this year is how ruthless we have been, no let up, fantastic to see.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

“We also believed that we could intimidate some of their forwards. You couldn’t manage it with Bonner. Or Eoin (Kelly). Or Noel McGrath. You could get at Bubbles.

"They had other flaky lads too over the years. Bubbles was a genius who could nearly make the ball talk, but he was as flaky as any of them.”

Bubbles total against Kilkenny in All Ireland finals: 2-17. Imagine the damage he could have done if he just wasn't so flaky!

I know we have to enjoy this, but cant help already thinking a year on. The young lads have come good this summer when it mattered. Love the look of Kehoe and Browne, serious engines. Barry Heff came of age and i owe an apology to Seamus Kennedy for, if not quite writing him off, then at least not recognising his worth. A great summer for him. Dont anticipate any retirements, unless Bonner cant quite get back, and the 20s still to come next weekend - imagine the competition there's going to be for places come next spring! But lets savour this for a while anyway and hopefully future takes care of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭farmerval

So So happy for so many of the Tipp players after yesterday;
    The 2009 brigade have played in so many of the greatest games in the last ten years, several times with kilkenny but also the three epic semi finals with Galway, they truly deserved their third Celtic Cross.
    Barry Heffernan and Niall O Meara have had no luck in getting themselves established in the team, injury and unlucky timing has held them back but now their time has come.
    John McGrath showed all that we know about him yesterday, really strong and clever. Ronan Maher a colossus at full back, probably had the hardest job yesterday, KK put all their eggs into the C Fennelly basket.
    We really know now why the players were so distraught when Liam Sheedy stepped down the first time.

“We also believed that we could intimidate some of their forwards. You couldn’t manage it with Bonner. Or Eoin (Kelly). Or Noel McGrath. You could get at Bubbles.

"They had other flaky lads too over the years. Bubbles was a genius who could nearly make the ball talk, but he was as flaky as any of them.”

Bubbles total against Kilkenny in All Ireland finals: 2-17. Imagine the damage he could have done if he just wasn't so flaky!

The only one flaky yesterday was Ritchie Hogan. Went to do Barrett no question about it. The fact there's a debate around it is baffling. Absolute dirt and got caught pure and simple. Let himself down badly.

On another note that hook from John McGrath on fennelly was absolutely beautiful.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't make it down for the homecoming. Looked to be a good crowd there, lovely evening for it. We may enjoy this one, who knows when the next one will be!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

farmerval wrote: »
    So So happy for so many of the Tipp players after yesterday;
    The 2009 brigade have played in so many of the greatest games in the last ten years, several times with kilkenny but also the three epic semi finals with Galway, they truly deserved their third Celtic Cross.
    Barry Heffernan and Niall O Meara have had no luck in getting themselves established in the team, injury and unlucky timing has held them back but now their time has come.
    John McGrath showed all that we know about him yesterday, really strong and clever. Ronan Maher a colossus at full back, probably had the hardest job yesterday, KK put all their eggs into the C Fennelly basket.
    We really know now why the players were so distraught when Liam Sheedy stepped down the first time.

Spot on with everything. Barry Heff lost guts of a year with bad concussion and only now looks to be blossoming into the player he always could be. I always knew he had the hurling, but wondered about him in the physical battles and he's made all my concerns look foolish. John Mac's hook on ....was it fennelly? - how crucial was that? Colossus is the right word for Ronan wherever he plays. Can play anywhere in the backs and didn't Mick Ryan even think about making him a midfielder? And still only 23 and now fully out of big brother's shadow.

Funny that our backs have been questioned this year and there were 4 of them picked on SG team of the year last night with only one forward i think. Would have had bubbles on it myself.

The only one flaky yesterday was Ritchie Hogan. Went to do Barrett no question about it. The fact there's a debate around it is baffling. Absolute dirt and got caught pure and simple. Let himself down badly.

On another note that hook from John McGrath and fennelly was absolutely beautiful.

Yeah, mentioned the John Mac hook above, was fennelly right enough. Cant remember completely, but i think we go 7-8 points down if that chance is converted and we were truly in a spot of bother.

Have always had a lot of time for Richie i have to say, great player and seems a gent off the field. If it was a case he was exacting a bit of revenge out of frustration for the earlier flick on him, then he's seriously let his side down, though, and i bet he knows that himself today. He cost his team and i dont feel the need to add anything to that. Shefflin, tyrrell and cody (after the game) haven't distinguished themselves on this occasion. I'm sorry for that, but what can we do? Doesnt bother me one bit really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

On another note that hook from John McGrath on fennelly was absolutely beautiful.

The debate is real.. how many times have you watched the half time analysis/full time analysis/Sunday game where it has been said, well "player" was lucky that so and so stayed on his feet, or didn't stay down or didn't make too much of it. It was never dirt. Ritchie's was unlucky Barrett stepped aside. Barrett made a meal of it. He'll be remembered for it as much as Richie will be remembered for being sent off..

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

jluv wrote: »

The debate is real.. how many times have you watched the half time analysis/full time analysis/Sunday game where it has been said, well "player" was lucky that so and so stayed on his feet, or didn't stay down or didn't make too much of it. It was never dirt. Ritchie's was unlucky Barrett stepped aside. Barrett made a meal of it. He'll be remembered for it as much as Richie will be remembered for being sent off..

Nah in Tipp we'll remember Barrett as (at least) a two time all ireland winning corner back that had a starring role in beating Kilkenny by 9 and 14 points in those finals.

Antics21 wrote: »
    Nah in Tipp we'll remember Barrett as (at least) a two time all ireland winning corner back that had a starring role in beating Kilkenny by 9 and 14 points in those finals.

And rightly so.. best team won.. but....the next time he tries it he will be remembered, trust me..
    My point actually was that it wasn't dirt from Richie. If we watched pretty much any analysis from previous you'd nearly always find a player who was "lucky". If Barrett hadn't milked it Richie would still be on. Tipp would have still won. They were coming on from at that point. But shame to get a player or aid in a player getting sent off in an All Ireland final..

Ps..forgot to say ..congrats! Absolutely not taking away from your win. Delighted for Liam Sheedy. Loved seeing him and his family. Only debating that one point..

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭farmerval

Funny that our backs have been questioned this year and there were 4 of them picked on SG team of the year last night with only one forward i think. Would have had bubbles on it myself.

Funniest thing of all is we scored 3 goals and 25 points and the three nominees for Man of the match were 2 defenders and a deep lying midfielder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seadin

And rightly so.. best team won.. but....the next time he tries it he will be remembered, trust me..
    My point actually was that it wasn't dirt from Richie. If we watched pretty much any analysis from previous you'd nearly always find a player who was "lucky". If Barrett hadn't milked it Richie would still be on. Tipp would have still won. They were coming on from at that point. But shame to get a player or aid in a player getting sent off in an All Ireland final..

Jaysus some Kilkenny fans are really hurt by this defeat. Was it all that bad? Tipp destroyed Kilkenny in the 2nd half and from the 22nd min in the first half Tipp were playing better and especially before the sending off. You were beaten off the pitch you had no answer to Tipps firepower. Take it on the chin and stop the excuses and clutching at straws. People don't like bad losers. Posts like the above sum it up really.

Seadin wrote: »
    Jaysus some Kilkenny fans are really hurt by this defeat. Was it all that bad? Tipp destroyed Kilkenny in the 2nd half and from the 22nd min in the first half Tipp were playing better and especially before the sending off. You were beaten off the pitch you had no answer to Tipps firepower. Take it on the chin and stop the excuses and clutching at straws. People don't like bad losers. Posts like the above sum it up really.

Did you actually read the post? Best team won etc..no sour grapes here. Just discussing an incident in the game as most hurling lovers do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Seadin wrote: »

While the sending off can't fully explain Kilkennys shocking performance in the second half, I've never seen such a concerted effort to dismiss a match as being already over by the time of the sending off when there was just a single point in it and the losing team at the time had been the much more comfortable team for the majority of the game at that point

The point is that Kilkenny were blown out of it in the second half. Teams do win games with 14 games quite often you know. Ye made heros of Tipp backs by lumping ball down for nearly 25 minutes when outnumbered.
    If Kilkenny can't outwork a team they are ordinary and after the first twenty minutes and being only 5 up, ye were never going to win the game. Like the Limerick ye ran out of steam, unlike the Limerick game ye weren't 11 points of a head start up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Only Kilkenny people believe that. He was shouldered in the jaw and knocked down. It would be a red card in any sport. A banning in some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

The first paragraph is obviously correct, the second is your opinion and is being pushed as a certainty by Tipp supporters everywhere as they want to minimize the impact of the sending off when it obviously involves speculation. The facts are there was a point in it at the time, Tipp were going through a purple patch following a great 20 mins from Kilkenny. Just because there was a similar pattern in a previous match doesn't mean you can make authoritative statements about what would have happened.
    That was a reply to Antics21

Only Kilkenny people believe that. He was shouldered in the jaw and knocked down. It would be a red card in any sport. A banning in some.

Nope.. even speaking to Tipp supporters..agree that on any other day might have been let go as a yellow and that Barret made too much of it..

The first paragraph is obviously correct, the second is your opinion and is being pushed as a certainty by Tipp supporters everywhere as they want to minimize the impact of the sending off when it obviously involves speculation. The facts are there was a point in it at the time, Tipp were going through a purple patch following a great 20 mins from Kilkenny. Just because there was a similar pattern in a previous match doesn't mean you can make authoritative statements about what would have happened.
    That was a reply to Antics21
    I'll revise the never going to win the game.
    It was going to be difficult for ye even with 15.
    Buckley, Mullen and Hogan were all half fit and young Browne was very raw looking. Yere backs did well overall but the forward play was really poor all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

What on earth does this comment mean?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

That's the weird thing. Even in a sport as physical as rugby union a player would walk for that. Crazy that some loons are even contesting it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement