Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA (Club and Intercounty) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,795 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was listening to Regan last night. The monday after Tipp bt Wexford i remember him giving Tipp the nod. He's definately after changing his mind and fancies the cats. Haven't heard Duignans verdict yet.

Think with the heavy rain forecast for Sunday people are thinking that it will suit a more dogged kilkenny team and I'd agree with that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Donadea Leo

Think with the heavy rain forecast for Sunday people are thinking that it will suit a more dogged kilkenny team and I'd agree with that.

I m not sure, all the articles and experts are discussing kilkenny having to stop the tipp forwards, it's hilarious considering the calibre of their forwards, hardly a mention of t j Reid, Richie Hogan or young Mullen, I m sure they d like a nice dry day to showcase their skills also. When it's really wet, I think it suits the more intelligent team rather than the more dogged, it might reduce the scoring a little as it might be harder to keep your feet. I think our game works well in the wet, move it through the lines, let the ball do the work, create some space. I think as usual our half back, their half forward line will be where it's won and lost, interesting to see how Walter Walsh performs. He can be very inconsistent but when he plays well they 're hard to stop. He creates a lot of space around him at times, though equallt he can be a spectator in games. I think we need a plan to keep him quite just in case.
    On a different note, if I have to read one more Jackie Tyrell article, I think I 'll puke. Surely the media can find some other former kilkenny hurler to interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

I m not sure, all the articles and experts are discussing kilkenny having to stop the tipp forwards, it's hilarious considering the calibre of their forwards, hardly a mention of t j Reid, Richie Hogan or young Mullen, I m sure they d like a nice dry day to showcase their skills also. When it's really wet, I think it suits the more intelligent team rather than the more dogged, it might reduce the scoring a little as it might be harder to keep your feet. I think our game works well in the wet, move it through the lines, let the ball do the work, create some space. I think as usual our half back, their half forward line will be where it's won and lost, interesting to see how Walter Walsh performs. He can be very inconsistent but when he plays well they 're hard to stop. He creates a lot of space around him at times, though equallt he can be a spectator in games. I think we need a plan to keep him quite just in case.
    On a different note, if I have to read one more Jackie Tyrell article, I think I 'll puke. Surely the media can find some other former kilkenny hurler to interview.

Too true. Takes himself far too serious does the Tyrell lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Too true. Takes himself far too serious does the Tyrell lad.

Thought Twas bad form singling out bubbles in his book.
    Hope he’d a good view of the ‘16 final from the bench

digzy wrote: »
    Thought Twas bad form singling out bubbles in his book.
    Hope he’d a good view of the ‘16 final from the bench

That whole chapter on Tipp was bad form imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Conelan

All the shi*e talk of his rousing speech at half time in 2015. Did anyone ask him what he said at half time in 2016!!
    On a more important note, do ye think any more tickets will come up on general sale? All the talk is of low key build up but tickets seem hard to come by in Tipp anyway. Rang Lar na Pairce today and they have nothing coming back in. Does anyone know why the 500 tickets that went on general sale on Tues weren't offered to the competing counties first. I mean what was to stop touts getting their hands on those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

What's the problem with Tyrrell's interviews exactly, he says things you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

What's the problem with Tyrrell's interviews exactly, he says things you don't like?

Tyrrell is so biased he is hard to take seriously. He was on OTB the other night. His hatred for Tipp is quite noticeable even for myself with no attachments to either county. They were talking about matchups and he reckoned that Kilkenny were going to win every matchup. He is incapable of giving an unbiased view.

He said earlier in the year that Limerick were still behind the top 4 counties of KK Tipp Galway and Cork when it was blindly obvious they are every bit as good as those teams and probably the best at that time.

Tommy Walsh on the other hand is a breath of fresh air. More Tommy less Jackie please!!!

Tyrrell is so biased he is hard to take seriously. He was on OTB the other night. His hatred for Tipp is quite noticeable even for myself with no attachments to either county. They were talking about matchups and he reckoned that Kilkenny were going to win every matchup. He is incapable of giving an unbiased view.

He said earlier in the year that Limerick were still behind the top 4 counties of KK Tipp Galway and Cork when it was blindly obvious they are every bit as good as those teams and probably the best at that time.

Tommy Walsh on the other hand is a breath of fresh air. More Tommy less Jackie please!!!

Good post.

I actually don't really care what he says, he can say what he likes, it just seems that every paper has an article from him saying the same thing over and over, it seems to be more about his own feelings towards tipp and what it was like for him playing tipp than the game on sunday. That s fine as an aside, but I d rather read a few different opinions, with a focus on the current game. Maybe it's just social media and the exposure of articles I mightn t necessarily usually see all coming from the same source. It would be a bit like papers running a load of articles by eoin Kelly talking about stopping kilkenny achieving the drive for 5 ! Maybe journalist are asking him the same questions, I m not actually blaming him to be honest, just looking for a bit more quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Must say i dont really mind Jackie Tyrell all that much, he's ok as those pundits go, knows the game and talks and writes well enough about it. That said, it would definitely give me a bit of added pleasure, not much but a bit, if "flaky" Bubbles O'Dwyer went and delivered another great all ireland final performance against the cats!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Jackie is a pain it’s all bout him never seems to talk about the current or future topics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Well lads a long shot, after been let down for a hill ticket for the nephew, just need the one as rest sorted, if by any chance ye have a spare I'd be happy to take it off of ya, pm me if ya can help Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 shaneoc88

Looking for one ticket for Sunday if any kind souls have one available?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭farmerval

Tipp team for Sunday
    1. Brian Hogan – Lorrha-Dorrha
    2. Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. Barry Heffernan – Nenagh Éire Óg
    4. Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Brendan Maher – Borris-Ileigh
    6. Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Séamus Kennedy – St. Mary’s
    8. Noel McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    9. Michael Breen – Ballina
    10. Dan McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
    11. John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    12. Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    13. Jason Forde – Silvermines
    14. Séamus Callanan (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
    15. John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney

16. Paul Maher – Moyne-Templetuohy
    17. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
    18. Ger Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    19. Robert Byrne – Portroe
    20. Jerome Cahill – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    21. Willie Connors – Kiladangan
    22. Alan Flynn – Kiladangan
    23. Mark Kehoe – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    24. Donagh Maher – Burgess
    25. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    26. Seán O’Brien – Newport

farmerval wrote: »
    Tipp team for Sunday
    1. Brian Hogan – Lorrha-Dorrha
    2. Cathal Barrett – Holycross-Ballycahill
    3. Barry Heffernan – Nenagh Éire Óg
    4. Ronan Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    5. Brendan Maher – Borris-Ileigh
    6. Padraic Maher – Thurles Sarsfields
    7. Séamus Kennedy – St. Mary’s
    8. Noel McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney
    9. Michael Breen – Ballina
    10. Dan McCormack – Borris-Ileigh
    11. John O’Dwyer – Killenaule
    12. Niall O’Meara – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    13. Jason Forde – Silvermines
    14. Séamus Callanan (Capt.) – Drom-Inch
    15. John McGrath – Loughmore-Castleiney

16. Paul Maher – Moyne-Templetuohy
    17. James Barry – Upperchurch-Drombane
    18. Ger Browne – Knockavilla-Donaskeigh Kickhams
    19. Robert Byrne – Portroe
    20. Jerome Cahill – Kilruane MacDonaghs
    21. Willie Connors – Kiladangan
    22. Alan Flynn – Kiladangan
    23. Mark Kehoe – Kilsheelan-Kilcash
    24. Donagh Maher – Burgess
    25. Jake Morris – Nenagh Éire Óg
    26. Seán O’Brien – Newport

Interesting to see if line out as selected. Well done to Heffernan and Kennedy for making the cut as the rest were pretty much nailed on.

I imagine our backs will have specific men to pick up, if they do then KK will rotate around a bit to try discomfort their markers, e.g.if Brendan picks up TJ then TJ might go full or to centre in on top of Paidi etc.
    Was wondering if one of Sean O Brien or Alan flynn would have made it to give us more pace at the back.

I imagine our backs will have specific men to pick up, if they do then KK will rotate around a bit to try discomfort their markers, e.g.if Brendan picks up TJ then TJ might go full or to centre in on top of Paidi etc.
    Was wondering if one of Sean O Brien or Alan flynn would have made it to give us more pace at the back.

That's quite a big, physical backline alright. Barrett the smallest but probably the quickest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Going to have to assume that Barry Heff is going to play as selected at full back. Thought he was immense in the s/f and earned his place, but surely its asking a lot for a guy to fulfill such an unfamiliar role in the biggest game of his life? I wish him luck if thats the case and hopefully he'll get lots of cover in front of him. If Brendan picks up Reid and Kilkenny wing men drop deep, then Paidi should have space to sit in front of full back line and give some protection. Hopefully anyway.

I guess there is always the chance the team might not field as expected, but probably not you'd think.

Personally expect Ronan to pick up Colin Fennelly with Barry Heffernan out on Walter Walsh. Think Barry will suit marking Walter cos if Walter goes wandering out around the middle or Barry won't be slow to look for a score or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

As regards J.Tyrrell , quite a number of Kilkenny people share your view. Mans a bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Both those lads were badly exposed earlier in the season. Barry has had a few wobblys too. I’m delighted with Barry Heffernan. Kennedy would be the weak link there. Wonder if Barrett is back to 100%

digzy wrote: »
    Both those lads were badly exposed earlier in the season. Barry has had a few wobblys too. I’m delighted with Barry Heffernan. Kennedy would be the weak link there. Wonder if Barrett is back to 100%

To be fair to O'Brien though he was on Hoggy who'd roast most players. I think neither O'Brien or Flynn are as good as prime Mickey Cahill tbh who was an oustanding player.
    Unfortunately we've probably seen the last of poor Mickey who is dogged with injury.

Ive been impressed with Kennedy tbh. He hit a bit of ball in that Munster final and was solid enough last day too. Barry Heffernan hurled a great game the last day. I think he'll go on Walter while Ronan might pick up Fennelly

I don't think it matters who we say is going to mark who, we 'll get a few of the match ups we want and so will they, it 'll sort itself out on the day. Can t argue with sheedy s selection, will they all start , I 've no idea, I think the Maher half back line we 'll want though I suspect that 'll depend on t j s positioning cause it's hard to see Brendan not picking him up, though could seamus Kennedy do a job on him???? Would be good to have Brendan free to play a bit of ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Lads I have drink in me so apologies if this is bollxxx but the journey to the final this year has been something else.
    Wrote off after the league because we lost three games by a point.
    Then going down to Cork and looking like a team reborn.
    Knocking the tar out of Waterford in Semple
    Then down to Ennis where Anthony Daly kept going on about how it was a fortress and Clare would turn it into a war and we hadn't the "heart or legs" for it. He got his answer.
    Then Limerick in Semple. When Bonner went down it was right in front of me in the old stand and when he stayed down my Heart sunk. His touch and hurling was unreal this year.
    Next it was down to the Gaelic grounds for the Munster final where we walked into a buzzsaw.
    Then Laois damned if we did damned if we didn't.
    But lads I have never left Croke park on a high like I did after the semifinal. Resilience,determination attitude and a never say die attitude that apparently we don't have well they showed it that day.
    I think we will do it on Sunday but if we don't I'll remember Pairc Ui Chaoimh Ennis and the semi final this year for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

To be fair to O'Brien though he was on Hoggy who'd roast most players. I think neither O'Brien or Flynn are as good as prime Mickey Cahill tbh who was an oustanding player.
    Unfortunately we've probably seen the last of poor Mickey who is dogged with injury.

Ive been impressed with Kennedy tbh. He hit a bit of ball in that Munster final and was solid enough last day too. Barry Heffernan hurled a great game the last day. I think he'll go on Walter while Ronan might pick up Fennelly

Wasn't it Barrett was on Hoggy?

I'd be slow to move Ronan out of the half back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Two Offaly lads tipping Kilkenny. Daithi Regan and Michael Verney.

List now reads
    Tipp
    1 Martin Breheny
    2 John Mullane
    3 Derek McGrath
    4 D Og Cusack
    5 Michael Duignan

Kilkenny
    1 Martin Storey
    2 Daithi Regan
    3 Michael Verney
    4 Conor MCKeon
    5 Mattie Kenny
    6 Shane Dowling

7 Jackie Tyrell

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

'They say Tipp have never won an All Ireland without a Ryan'

Article by PM O'Sullivan..Irish Examiner.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    7 Jackie Tyrell

I only include neutral pundits as no point adding those from the competing counties.

• Advertisement

I only include neutral pundits as no point adding those from the competing counties.

Nicky English writing in the Irish Times often goes for our opposition.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement