Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

So you unthinkingly went with the flow, and now unthinkingly go agin the flow. Glad to hear you started to think about what you actually like.

Takes all sorts, I suppose.

No, I always had a rebellious spirit and thought independently.

When I was in school the cool guys were smoking, taking drugs, spinning vinyls, getting with girls. Nowadays, I heard the 'cool' kids are apparently the ones doing exactly what the government want, being gender fluid and all that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,019 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

lufties wrote: »
    No, I always had a rebellious spirit and thought independently.

When I was in school the cool guys were smoking, taking drugs, spinning vinyls, getting with girls. Nowadays, I heard the 'cool' kids are apparently the ones doing exactly what the government want, being gender fluid and all that crap.

OK. I don't know where your rebellious streak was when you were "just being a sheep" in London.

It's all a bit off topic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

OK. I don't know where your rebellious streak was when you were "just being a sheep" in London.

I was trying to fit in, I had just moved there. I was vulnerable, and not very informed. The liberal leaning people I was around had the most aggression in them. A virtue signalling ex girlfriend who hated the fact I could afford good taste, like better quality products. Surrounded by people with a victim complex. London is a very strange place to live, and can mess with your psyche.

lufties wrote: »
    I was trying to fit in, I had just moved there. I was vulnerable, and not very informed. The liberal leaning people I was around had the most aggression in them. A virtue signalling ex girlfriend who hated the fact I could afford good taste, like better quality products. Surrounded by people with a victim complex. London is a very strange place to live, and can mess with your psyche.

OK. You're fierce independent minded which is why you make up your mind by seeing what the culture likes, and go the opposite way.

Way off topic though.

So, after all the rubbish from Brexiteers about how Brexit was necessary to protect the interests of British fishermen, this is the reality. It's a far cry from when the British Navy and its 200,000 employees sailed the world. In 2019, they can't even patrol the seas around Britain. Yet another major wake-up call for these delusional dullards and dolts. Brexit is doing one thing on a spectacular scale: exposing just how weak Britain has become despite all the "world power" rhetoric. I don't think that was in the Brexiteers' plan.

Brexit: Email slip-up reveals no-deal fishing patrol 'uncertainty'
    There is "a lot of uncertainty" about the UK's capacity to patrol fishing waters after a no-deal Brexit, a government memo mistakenly emailed to the BBC has revealed.

The memo, from the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, says there are just 12 ships "to monitor a space three times the size of the surface area of the UK"....

Admiral Lord West, a Labour peer and former First Sea Lord, said the email appeared to show the UK has "insufficient assets to patrol and look after our exclusive economic zone for fisheries, and also our territorial seas".

"This will be thrown into stark relief if we should cease to have an agreement with the EU on fisheries."

He added: "This is something a number of us have been saying for some time now, but it has always been denied by Defra and the government."

12 ships! Just how many French, Dutch or Spanish fishermen/fishing corporations are they going to stop? Not to mention tackle the enormous number of such people who are the legal owners of British fishing rights.

• Advertisement

On the issue of fishing rights in British seas, read this fascinating Greenpeace article from March 2019, which firmly blames the UK government for decades of neglect that long predates the EU's CFP and essentially created a "free market" where what Brexiteers now term "national rights" were essentially commodified and sold, by the British, to the highest bidder. Unrestrained Thatcherite free market capitalism, in other words.

More scapegoating of the EU, in other words:

Privatising the seas: how the UK turned fishing rights into a commodity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Wow a femenist calling someone a sheep. Ive seen it all now

Wow a femenist calling someone a sheep. Ive seen it all now
    LOL. They called themselves a sheep. I quoted them.

Bit off topic though isn't it?

Today's Express headline:
    Brexit boost: EU will cave to Boris's demands otherwise Varadkar is ‘f*****’ says minister

Separate express headline today:
    Goodbye Europe! Britain to pull out of EU meetings in final Brexit warning to Brussels

Complete fantasy not to mention filling pages with soap opera until the Halloween deadline.

Complete fantasy not to mention filling pages with soap opera until the Halloween deadline.

Why is it fantasy? Britain will be gone, deal with it ok. They will not be the last to pull out either. The EU will go back to what it is supposed to be - a trading block or it will disappear completely. Either way, the EU that you know and seemingly love is dying. That is not fantasy, that is reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why is it fantasy? Britain will be gone, deal with it ok. They will not be the last to pull out either. The EU will go back to what it is supposed to be - a trading block or it will disappear completely. Either way, the EU that you know and seemingly love is dying. That is not fantasy, that is reality.
    In your highly esteemed view, who else will leave and by when will they trigger Art 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Except it is a total fantasy. In fact, I've explained this to you before. I'll do you a favour and post it again:
    • Italy? Totally dropped from the agenda. They might try to break out of the Euro but that doesn't have much in the way of momentum. Salvini, La Liga, and the Five Star movement have no plans to leave the block altogether.
    • Marine Le Pen in France has totally dropped her euro referendum in favour of a "europe of nations" - which is essentially a call for EU reform and not break up.
    • The Freedom Party in Austria abandoned their own euro-zone referendum, and have made no calls or motions towards their own break away.
    • And the guy calling for it in the Netherlands got hammered at the next elections for it.

And in advance of your response, which I imagine will mirror what you said last time:
    And this is all part of the puppet show that the EU is performing with Britain, to dissuade any more countries from leaving. Wait till you see it, when Britain leaves and World War 3 doesn't break out and Britain starts to prosper even more, others heads will turn. The bricks are falling off.

That's an awful lot of assumption to make. How do you know that these countries will want to leave after Britain's exit is complete? Do you have any evidence? Support for the EU has increased in just about every member state in the past few years, which seems to indicate the opposite.

And, like last time, I have this to say:
    "When" is doing some incredibly heavy lifting there. I think you mean something more along the lines of:

"If Britain leaves and WW3 doesn't break out and if Britain starts to prosper more against every suggested plausible outcome made by economists and industry professionals and experts, both within the UK and outside it."

We've been through this before. Your prophesied collapse of the EU has no basis in reality. Every nation that had whispers of it has watched their own exit desires wither and die. Support with the populations is up. When Britain's economy drops following the no-deal we're hurtling towards (which literally every expert says will happen), nobody is going to want to follow them over the precipice.

Dytalus wrote: »
    Except it is a total fantasy. In fact, I've explained this to you before. I'll do you a favour and post it again.....

In your highly esteemed view, who else will leave and by when will they trigger Art 50?

A few years ago, people would have said the same thing about Britain leaving. But it is 2019 and they are leaving. You people need to get your heads out of the sand! BRITIAN ARE LEAVING THE EU, DEAL WITH IT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

A few years ago, people would have said the same thing about Britain leaving. But it is 2019 and they are leaving. You people need to get your heads out of the sand! BRITIAN ARE LEAVING THE EU, DEAL WITH IT!!

Nobody has denied Britain is leaving the EU. We all just think it's a really bad idea with little to no upsides. We've never said "it's not happening".

What has been denied is the baseless claim that this is the end of the EU, when all evidence suggests otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Not if Jo Swinson has anything to do with it!

If a GE is called pre Oct 31st things could get even more bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

When? Like they should be gone since months and there are months to go until they might be gone. Instead of signing the deal or go no deal, BoJo and his pals play chicken. Either they want no deal, then take the no deal and piss off or come up with a better plan than to push the ball to the EU and tell them that you don't like the plan you signed up for and now want a better plan, that the EU has to come up with. It doesn't work that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Brexit will never happen, it's going to be kicked down the road again and again until 'they' can convince a reversal. Classes v masses.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Brexit will never happen, it's going to be kicked down the road again and again until 'they' can convince a reversal. Classes v masses.

That's the problem with not defining what Brexit means, everyone who voted leave has a different idea, that's why no kind of Brexit made it through parliament.

Nobody has denied Britain is leaving the EU. We all just think it's a really bad idea with little to no upsides. We've never said "it's not happening".

Yes and you need to deal with it like I said.

What has been denied is the baseless claim that this is the end of the EU, when all evidence suggests otherwise.

Nobody said Britain leaving was the end of the EU. What has been said is that Britain leaving is the beginning of the end. It is not a baseless claim either. The EU are in a state of panic and denial.

Nobody said Britain leaving was the end of the EU. What has been said is that Britain leaving is the beginning of the end. It is not a baseless claim either. The EU are in a state of panic and denial.

Really the EU is in state of panic? Can you proof that or show any country where an in/out referendum is prepared? Italy, Wilders, FPÖ, LePen, Orban all abandoned their plans after seeing how well Brexit is going.
    EU is back to business, disbanding the negotiating teams and dealing with actual problems like the US/CN Trade war, climate change and so on.
    UK on the other hand is still deciding what to do until October, preparing for no deal, deal or snap election or what if parliament does what? Pound has fallen to record lows, economy is shrinking besides high employment. I am not sure who should be in a state of panic and denial here? The one who wants to ship 5000 lorries a day by plane to the UK to avoid congestion at Calais?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

A minister who backs Boris is said to have stated that "Ireland is f%$ked in the event of no deal. No doubt it's true but you have to wonder of the quality of politician who thinks it's diplomatic to say that about another country.

Harika wrote: »
    Really the EU is in state of panic?

Yes, a country is leaving, it is in the worst state it has been in since its inception!

Can you proof that or show any country where an in/out referendum is prepared?

No, how could I have access to the inner working of another states government?

EU is back to business, disbanding the negotiating teams and dealing with actual problems like the US/CN Trade war, climate change and so on.
    UK on the other hand is still deciding what to do until October, preparing for no deal, deal or snap election or what if parliament does what? Pound has fallen to record lows, economy is shrinking besides high employment. I am not sure who should be in a state of panic and denial here? The one who wants to ship 5000 lorries a day by plane to the UK to avoid congestion at Calais?

Blatant scaremongering.

Yes, a country is leaving, it is in the worst state it has been in since its inception!

Worse than 2012 with the Greece crisis? The 2015 immigration crisis? The EU is breaking up since at least 20 years, one who never was fully on board, now leaves.
    No, how could I have access to the inner working of another states government?

Regional Newspapers are a general good source of information. Especially the international versions
    Blatant scaremongering.

Suggested by the UK Department for Transport :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

steddyeddy wrote: »
    A minister who backs Boris is said to have stated that "Ireland is f%$ked in the event of no deal. No doubt it's true but you have to wonder of the quality of politician who thinks it's diplomatic to say that about another country.

We could be in for an economic shock-wave, we won't be f**ked though. I wonder is the state being proactive in looking at alternative trade options or are we just having complete faith in the EU project?

LOL. Is that even related to the two headlines I posted or was it just something you needed to get off your chest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Theres a bad apple in every barrell can't wait to get rid of dis one, good bye britain

Except it is a total fantasy. In fact, I've explained this to you before. I'll do you a favour and post it again.....

Looking for word to it

Ur having a laugh mate

If there is a hard border after no deal brexit does that mean we can stop the brits coming here?

• Advertisement

Ireland will be fine without britian, the EU will be fine without britian, who cares what happens the brits they are known the world over as a shower of mankers (w)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement