Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Hurling people knew that Kilkenny dominance wouldn't last
    They didn't have the quality coming through from U21 and minor

Sure doesn't everyone know Cork and Kerry are going to dominate football for the next decade?

All them Kerry minors, Cork u20's etc?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,969 ✭✭✭threeball

Surprise surprise, every advantage that Dublin supporters deny they have their own GDOs say otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Sure doesn't everyone know Cork and Kerry are going to dominate football for the next decade?

All them Kerry minors, Cork u20's etc?

Very hard to know re cork
    Very good underage pedigree in last decade as well, they gave us nothing this decade in terms of senior success
    Hurling is the big thing and commitment are problems

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

fergus1001 wrote: »
    not disputing that dublin are a great team they are but it's the fact that the competitiveness of the championship has gone out the window

and I was beating the same drum a few years ago when kilkenny were so dominant in the hurling

wtf?? Kilkenny have a smaller population than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Step up is going to be tougher at U20 level compared to U21 in the past and you don't really know how good Cork are because had this been old U21 format Kerry would have had Clifford, O'Shea, O'Connor etc playing in this years Munster. Any player with an inkling of potential at start of year will be on senior panel instead of U20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

wtf?? Kilkenny have a smaller population than most.

where in my post did I mention population re: kilkenny ?

I am talking about skill gaps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Population is a null and void argument for success. It boils down to the coaching and you can't beat the coaching around Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Kerry going for 6 All Ireland minors in a row i think. Looking good here v Galway. Hard not to see another Kerry senior era of dominance in the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thought the Specsavers 20/20 palaver was a bit ott yesterday.

Kerry going for 6 All Ireland minors in a row i think. Looking good here v Galway. Hard not to see another Kerry senior era of dominance in the next while.

That means nothing, unless the integration is good it won't matter how good they were underage.

• Advertisement

That means nothing, unless the integration is good it won't matter how good they were underage.

All that quality coming through married with Kerry's rich traditiion and winning culture is a very dangerous mix for the rest of us. I can see Kerry winning 3 or 4 All Irelands in the next decade.

All that quality coming through married with Kerry's rich traditiion and winning culture is a very dangerous mix for the rest of us. I can see Kerry winning 3 or 4 All Irelands in the next decade.

I think they are a few years off winning an all Ireland yet. They are a constant there or thereabouts but I feel they are still a way off. I think Tyrone by a handful today.

Why so.

Because I want to see my county win, and its better when they win well. Everyone does. Anybody who says otherwise is only codding themselves.

Yeah, closely fought contests can be more exciting sometimes. But that 10 mins after HT yesterday was breathtaking. Watching this team when they click is something else. I'd like to see that for 50+ minutes, to see how long they could actually keep it up for.

As for Kerry, it would be poetic to beat them in the final to clinch the 5 in a row. Plus, we owe them a hiding. The QF in 2009 still rankles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Exactly.

I remember being at 2009 final and chap sitting beside me - who was not from Tipp - spend practically whole match ranting about Kilkenny being the "Tyrone of hurling."
    Some people just can't abide excellence as it reflects badly on their own lack of worth.

This is a little bit over-the-top Freudian is it not? Sometimes people just have opinions without them reflecting their self-worth either way? Like if I say I don't think Roger Federer (even though he is excellent) is as good as Novak Djokovic can it not be just an opinion?

The argument could be posited the other way too - that swooning over success is just small-mickey compensation. I wouldn't have a whole lot of time for that either. Balance I think is better.

I think size is more important at minor. If you look at the players who have transitioned with ease from minor last decade ie Aidan O'Shea, Cillian O'Connor, Paddy McBrearty, David Clifford, Ciaran Kilkenny, Paul Conroy their size and physicality was completely different level to the average minor players.

I think they are a few years off winning an all Ireland yet. They are a constant there or thereabouts but I feel they are still a way off. I think Tyrone by a handful today.

Thats why i said 3 or 4 All Irelands in next decade. They are on the right road for another successful era. No doubt im my mind. Could be this year but if not its just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

I just feel we can beat Dublin in the final. At least I can understand why neutrals will be supporting Kerry today. Rather than last year when neutrals just supported every team playing Tyrone out of spite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It is a "dead rubber" game today but I will support Kerry though I suppose I could lend my support to any Lough Neagh shore players, I don't know if Tyrone have any Ardboe or Moortown players, I do admire Ardboes rich culture I admit, there is an ancient monastery there dating from the Airgialla kingdom times.

rossie1977 wrote: »

I think size is more important at minor. If you look at the players who have transitioned with ease from minor last decade ie Aidan O'Shea, Cillian O'Connor, Paddy McBrearty, David Clifford, Ciaran Kilkenny, Paul Conroy their size and physicality was completely different level to the average minor players.

Ciaran Kilkenny wasn't particularly big at Minor he took a bit of a stretch. But I get what your saying, the ability to handle the pressure and the expectancy at elite level. Stepping up for a minor in Tier 3,4 is fine and can be quite fluid, not so much for Tier 1s

I just feel we can beat Dublin in the final. At least I can understand why neutrals will be supporting Kerry today. Rather than last year when neutrals just supported every team playing Tyrone out of spite.

Out of spite? Give your head a shake. Tyrone will be handed their holes like last year in 2nd gear again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

It's been about 10 years now since Tyrone's last win against good non-Ulster opposition in knockout Croke Park. Just beating Kerry would be huge for Tyrone, never mind a prospective final.

Neither of these teams want to win. Terrible wides in last 5 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭C__MC

Minors should still be under 18
    Some awful errors here, only children

dog_pig wrote: »
    It's been about 10 years now since Tyrone's last win against good non-Ulster opposition in knockout Croke Park. Just beating Kerry would be huge for Tyrone, never mind a prospective final.

Why limit it to non-Ulster? Donegal and Monaghan have been 3rd and 4th during that 10 year period when we beat them.

It's not our fault Kerry are back to one of the top teams now.

Good minor game. Kerry finally suffer defeat after years of dominance. Well done Galway.

Good minor game. Kerry finally suffer defeat after years of dominance. Well done Galway.

Technically Kerry lost at under 17 level in 2017 :)https://www.the42.ie/roscommon-beat-kerry-u17-football-semi-final-score-3543318-Aug2017/

But yeah well done Galway, their midfielders are both impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Pat looks as if he's done 70 minutes himself! Sweat lashing off him :D

Split them in two

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Pat looks as if he's done 70 minutes himself! Sweat lashing off him :D

Watching on Sky. I'll be tempted to switch at HT if Tyrone are ahead.

It's like switching to BBC/ITV when the Tans lose in soccer.

• Advertisement

Rte going in hard on Kerry. Tyrone the best team of the 00s

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement