Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

For those keeping count today was the 36 minute. So Mayo defeated in a similar manner and margin as Galway last year in the AI semi final v Dublin.

Will Kerry or Tyrone do any better in the final?

Nice stat to be fair. We had enough last minute nail biters there for a few years at last we've got to somewhat enjoy the last 15 or 20 minutes of big games without that sickly feeling due to chronic stress and nerves. Would love a stress free last 10 mins in final but not so sure. Id take a one point win rigbt now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭Prestonites

Up for the match tickets out this Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

For those keeping count today was the 36 minute. So Mayo defeated in a similar manner and margin as Galway last year in the AI semi final v Dublin.

Will Kerry or Tyrone do any better in the final?

I think Kerry will be blown away but the hype for 3 weeks will be unreal given it's Kerry attempting to stop Dublin.

Tyrone won't be the medias choice but they will likely have best chance of putting it up to Dublin. Tyrone have completely gone under the radar unlike previous years where they were taking challengers apart in Ulster and quarters.

If you believe in fate. Kerry beat Offaly in semi final in 80, final in 81 and lost to Offaly in 82 when attempting 5 in a row. Offaly winning the All Ireland exactly a decade since the previous win. It's 11 years since Tyrone's last AI win.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I think Kerry will be blown away but the hype for 3 weeks will be unreal given it's Kerry attempting to stop Dublin.

Tyrone won't be the medias choice but they will likely have best chance of putting it up to Dublin. Tyrone have completely gone under the radar unlike previous years where they were taking challengers apart in Ulster and quarters.

If you believe in fate. Kerry beat Offaly in semi final in 80, final in 81 and lost to Offaly in 82 when attempting 5 in a row. Offaly winning the All Ireland exactly a decade since the previous win. It's 11 years since Tyrone's last AI win.

Plus Kerry beat Armagh in the 82 semi final by ten points.
    *cue Twilight Zone theme*

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The way you are bigging up Mayo is embarrassing at this stage given that most Mayo fans didn't give them a hope today for various reasons.

Plenty gave them hope. They've a record of pulling out great performances.

I wouldn't and have not been bigging up Mayo this year. Particularly after the Kerry game, and the reality that Mayo coughed up enough chances against Donegal in the second half to change the result, they didn't maintain the intensity for the whole game.

However an argument to say that since 2012 that they could have won a couple of AIs in not a difficult one to make.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Todays game aside, a good enough year for Mayo. Reaching an AI semi final was an absolute miracle given the injury situation and aging legs.

Hard to see where to go from here. Many years of rebuilding I'd say. A good few retirements but guys can go out with their heads held high. They've given their all for the cause and today was an unfortunate but not unexpected way to go out. There's only so many times you can go to the well.

Anyways on to next year. The great thing about following Mayo is you never know what next year brings. Unlikely to be an AI and maybe not even a Connacht title but a few good league games and a couple of qualifiers at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

The miracle being the miracle of the referee allowing Andy to pick the ball off the ground and allowing Mcloughlin 12 steps for 2 goals while playing 5 mins under of injury time in a 1 point defeat of Armagh. For all the injury talk, both Galway and Donegal had worse injury problems when they met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Open draw Championship, only way to get the interest back again...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

raiders11 wrote: »
    Open draw Championship, only way to get the interest back again...

No. Beating them will draw interest back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

From a neutral , keegan boxed James Mccarthy and another Dublin player had to go off for that intentional elbow, neither incidents were punished.. had it been Dublin players that got away with it there would have been a lot more about it

• Advertisement

I think they'll win the final by 10+ points. If its Kerry, I hope its more, to be honest. I'd love to see us put them to the sword and romp it by 16 points or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Dublin will win the final pulling up . If ya picked an all star 15 from the other 31 counties they would have a job to beat Dublin . As a neutral I left today with about 8 mins to go after Fenton’s goal . There was Dublin lads outside smoking and other Dublin fans leaving at same time . To me there even bored of it at this stage . 5 in a row is in bag and unless something strange happens in another couple years 10 in a row will be the talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think they'll win the final by 10+ points. If its Kerry, I hope its more, to be honest. I'd love to see us put them to the sword and romp it by 16 points or something.

Why so.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

I've seen Donegal, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry in the flesh this year. They all look at a level that could win all ireland's before Dublin reached this level.

If its kerry in the final I just can't see them having a chance. Dublins fitness and conditioning is on a completely different level to kerry and will probably be even better come the final.

I'd love to be wrong but I'll go with Kerry to be leading at half time by 4 and Dublin to win by 6. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I've seen Donegal, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry in the flesh this year. They all look at a level that could win all ireland's before Dublin reached this level.

If its kerry in the final I just can't see them having a chance. Dublins fitness and conditioning is on a completely different level to kerry and will probably be even better come the final.

I'd love to be wrong but I'll go with Kerry to be leading at half time by 4 and Dublin to win by 6. I hope I'm wrong.

Every single person on the planet can condition. It’s not rocket science, I hope your wrong and Dublin 5 in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Every single person on the planet can condition. It’s not rocket science, I hope your wrong and Dublin 5 in a row.

Right so, I'll get myself up to the same level as a professional athlete. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah plan 0 mist be outplaying you with 14 men 20mins left to knock you out of winning the league this year.

I would not read too much into that.
    Monaghan also beat them by 3 points in the league and it didn`t do much for their championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The football Championship would be a great championship without Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why is it so hard to find a Dublin fan who thinks they'll win the final easily? If you were to bet €1000 of your money on a close game or a 6+ win in the final most of you would go for the latter. But when it comes to public forums your like a bunch of cute kerry hoors. Were your grannies from Dingle?
    Seems like desperation to just try and act like the sport is still alive. Pretend everyone can actually compete with them and that not every game is a dead rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Why is it so hard to find a Dublin fan who thinks they'll win the final easily? If you were to bet €1000 of your money on a close game or a 6+ win in the final most of you would go for the latter. But when it comes to public forums your like a bunch of cute kerry hoors. Were your grannies from Dingle?

Most of us remember 1995-2011. We're waiting on all of this to collapse and to go back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭C__MC

Alot of people tipping Tyrone to halt Dublin
    Weird considering they havent beaten one of the big 3 since 08. Dublin hammered them last year in 2nd gear.
    Hard to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

C__MC wrote: »
    Weird considering they havent beaten one of the big 3 since 08. Dublin hammered them last year in 2nd gear.
    Hard to see it

Out of the two, Kerry have the better chance against Dublin but I'd still give them less than 5% chance.

RTE will be praying Kerry win
    Morrissey would be in his element with the hype

threeball wrote: »
    This is what will happen next year. Crowds will be decimated, tv audiences will be decimated. Dublin fans have already stopped showing up with the only interest being the drive for 5.

If Ireland have a good rugby world cup then the GAA have a real problem on its hands. Football at its lowest ebb ever, rugby at its highest. The damage could be close to irreversible. It'll be a pity for a great sport but the croke park suits deserve nothing better. What a legacy to leave.

Seen that yesterday, the excitement wasn't there. Dublin fans expected to win well and Mayo fans expected a good go at best. There was tickets for sale everywhere outside the grounds.

The Mayo v Donegal game, had less seats but sold out in one day. People came for what they expected to be a competitive game. It was the most exciting game i had been to in two years, two amateur teams slogging it out.

Yesterday was one amateur team playing against a fully professional outfit. I think even if the Gaa try now to address the imbalances now, itvwill take 10 years to see the results. At which point i fear intercounty football with its current structure will become an after thought for most counties.

At this point due to the size of Dublin and the benefits of the facilities in the city some of the imbalances will be impossible to address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭riddles

Looking forward to Dublin doing 5 in a row against Kerry. That’ll be sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

C__MC wrote: »
    Hard to see it

If it was Leitrim in the final plenty would be tipping them to win. This site seems to have 3 types of posters:

- the "cautious" Dublin fans afraid to "jinx" anything
    - fantasist non-Dublin fans clinging to the fact there's a competitive championship and/or taken in by media propaganda and/or afraid to accept the reality
    - the realists who have thankfully increased in numbers after last night's result. Who are well and truly aware of the fact this is a team light years ahead of everyone, and that the sport is headed for an astronomical level of dominance

I've said it once, I'll say it a thousand times - the all Ireland series is becoming the new Leinster

Will X retire for Mayo? Why won't Kevin Walsh go? Will kerrys minors make the transition? Will Cork come again?

All ominously utterly irrelevant in the context of the all Ireland I'm afraid.

Like West ham United fans know they haven't a prayer of winning the league and that yesterday's result is simply what happens when you face the City juggernaut. GAA fans similarly need to wake up and breathe in the coffee aroma

At least West ham can launch a push for a European place though. In GAA the only other tangible thing to aim for is a provincial title nowadays...

Well at least there's always the club championship. Oh and that hurling is in its most competitive state in 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭HBC08

They don't have the fitness or strength of dublin and I don't think they ever will. Nobody is ever going to reach these levels cork could but unfortunately hurling is their main focus.

Mayo are the only team that have the fitness and strenght of dublin.Half the team coming back from long term injuries and 7 games in 8 weeks negates that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

The best we can probably hope for is that Dublin enter a b or c team in the league and give teams a chance to win the league. It could bring some excitement back. Then just present the Sam Maguire to Dublin every year.

Eh, Mayo won the League this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Gonna be some build up to the final in the capital lads. What a team. What a manager. All those incredibly close All Ireland semi finals and finals over the four years. Jeez must have been six or seven one point victories with replays thrown in for good measure. How did they come out the right side of these humdingers each and every time? The mental fortitude and sheer resilience of our lads has been in evidance throughout the 4 in a row success. Bloody scary how many times we were staring down the barrel but so uplifting and rewarding to always scrape home at the death. Nice to win with a bit to spare yesterday and actually enjoy the home straight. Kerry had Mayo beaten at ht in 2004 & 2006 finals and it would be nice to have that luxury sometime. In saying that im sure all Dubs would take a one point win in the final. The drive for five is well and truly alive. Enjoy the build up lads because this will more than likely never happen again in our lifetime. Simply wonderful to be a Dub. Rare old times down by the Liffey.

• Advertisement

The big thing going into final is kickouts
    99 times out of hundred, Dublin gain possession from theirs while through a zonal press, they decimate the opposition I.e. last night and against Tyrone last year

Once Dublin have the ball, they are ridiculously well coached and make all the right decisions. This is helped by a high standard of strength and conditioning and athleticism.

If Dublin are to beaten, niall Morgan and the Kerry keeper need to function 100 per cent on getting it right

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement