Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 All Ireland Senior Football Championship *Mod note: Post #1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

I enjoyed the game yesterday as a neutral, it was well competitive in the first half although you could see Dublin ramping up the pressure in the latter stages of the half.
    Dublin really poured on the scores and Mayo just collapsed and started missing handy points then started chasing the game through looking for goals
    Some of the encounters I thought Mayo were lucky to end up with just 14 men the punch to cooper and the stamp on McCarthy I think it was
    If either of them were the other way around there would have been a lynch mob out for the Dublin player
    I thought the ref in the first half was worth about 5 or 6 points to Mayo in particular one of the o sheas looked to have tripped McCarthy on his way to score and nothing was given
    It was a great atmosphere I don't know what some other posters are on about it was akin to an all Ireland final although I did see some niggles from some Mayo fans in particular towards Dublin fans when they scored their goal in the second half and fair play to the Dublin supporters for rising and applauding when Tom Parsons came onto the pitch
    Itll be interesting to see who faces Dublin in the final in todays match

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The excitement was definitely there, and the place looked packed to me.

Yesterday Mayo had men out on the pitch that have kept Kilkenny, Mannion, O'Callaghan quiet on previous occasions.

They did it for the first half.

However this year it didn't work.

Mayo were hammered by Kerry and yesterday was no different.

Looked good against Donegal but only for the first half, however so many thought it was similar to the Mayo Donegal games of the past, but it wasn't, there were huge cracks in the Mayo game but they broke Donegal in the first half, that's for Donegal to ponder this winter.

Yesterday they started with a heavy unfit vaughan

Then a big chear for Persons a player I have huge respect for, I said before he's the only Mayo midfielder that can last a full game (younger lads aside)

But to attempt to put him on for his first competitive outing after his leg was ripped in two last year into this game was not good, let him heal and play for his club.

The reality is that this year Mayo have not come close to their previous form, it's been that way all year.

The death of football was not so high on the agenda when kerry dismantled Mayo last month, or when Mayo fell against Roscommon.

The Galway posters who love informing us that Mayo are overrated and not that good, now place significant importance on Mayo losing to a team with 11 of the starters from the same contest 6 years ago. Games that Mayo played very well in.
    Mayo defenders have won all stars on the back of keeping O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, Mannion quiet. Apart from Fenton, I don't think Mayo have ever had an answer to him or Kerry's Moran, but it was the same Dublin players yesterday Mayo fell against, the same guys that the same Mayo players have played well against and built their great reputation on.

It didn't work yesterday, no amount of moaning and building Dublin up can take away from fact that Barrett, Keegan, Harrison, Boyle were taken apart by Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, Mannion. All the guys that have been quite rightly lauded in the past, didn't hit the mark yesterday

Playing unfit men, Boyle,Vaughan, Persons , SOS wont get you over the line at this stage.

I posted here a couple of months ago about the AI contenders and for the first time in years I left Mayo out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Good to see Croker packed for a semi final yesterday.

What sort of attendance is predicted for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Johner wrote: »
    Good to see Croker packed for a semi final yesterday.

I realise it's only guess work, but the 60,000 mark has been mentioned as an attendance for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Johner wrote:

60-65 thousand

• Advertisement

Bonniedog wrote: »

And where were all the spare tickets going to entitle the buyer to place themselves?

On the roof?

Your clearly delusional or blind if you did not see people offering tickets all over the place yesterday. Or maybe you just watched from your couch.

As for excitment no, i was surrounded in the Hogan by Dublin fans. They weren't bothered or worried about been down a few point at half time and a steady stream of people leaving with 15 minutes to go. The game was a foregone conclusion, just the margin was in question. It went fairly like i expected it to go.

I have been to every Mayo game since 89, if you think yesterday was an exciting game you need to get out of Leinster to more games. It was a snorefest for the last 30 minutes, the game was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

Stoner wrote: »

Yesterday Mayo had men out on the pitch that have kept Kilkenny, Mannion, O'Callaghan quiet on previous occasions.

Looked good against Donegal but only for the first half, however so many thought it was similar to the Mayo Donegal games of the past, but it wasn't, there were huge cracks in the Mayo game but they broke Donegal in the first half, that's for Donegal to ponder this winter.

Then a big chear for Persons a player I have huge respect for, I said before he's the only Mayo midfielder that can last a full game (younger lads aside)

But to attempt to put him on for his first competitive outing after his leg was ripped in two last year into this game was not good, let him heal and play for his club.

The reality is that this year Mayo have not come close to their previous form, it's been that way all year.

The death of football was not so high on the agenda when kerry dismantled Mayo last month, or when Mayo fell against Roscommon.

The Galway posters who love informing us that Mayo are overrated and not that good, now place significant importance on Mayo losing to a team with 11 of the starters from the same contest 6 years ago. Games that Mayo played very well in.
    Mayo defenders have won all stars on the back of keeping O'Callaghan, Kilkenny, Mannion quiet. Apart from Fenton, I don't think Mayo have ever had an answer to him or Kerry's Moran, but it was the same Dublin players yesterday Mayo fell against, the same guys that the same Mayo players have played well against and built their great reputation on.

It didn't work yesterday, no amount of moaning and building Dublin up can take away from fact that Barrett, Keegan, Harrison, Boyle were taken apart by Kilkenny, O'Callaghan, Mannion. All the guys that have been quite rightly lauded in the past, didn't hit the mark yesterday

Playing unfit men, Boyle,Vaughan, Persons , SOS wont get you over the line at this stage.

I posted here a couple of months ago about the AI contenders and for the first time in years I left Mayo out.
    There is only one all Ireland contender . Dublin . Anybody that’s saying anything else is only trying to make it sound exciting when there is no excitement . Football is in major trouble . This year and last year Dublin haven’t had to break sweat and they won’t have to in final either .
    And the sad part is that it will be exact same next year .

So basically Dublin won because they have better players and a bigger better squad. I don't think anybody disputes that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I do hope Dublin win 5-in-a-row. They deserve it. They are the greatest team to have ever played gaelic football up until now. And yet, as O'Rourke said yesterday, they don't seem to have huge egos which is a another credit to them. Having said that I am not sure when or how they will be stopped. People are talking about a 10-in-a-row now :)

One FF councillor said to me yesterday in the pub - 'It's good if Dublin keep winning because it will mean more investment for the rest of us'. I am not sure if he meant GAA investment or strategic economic investment but he does like to poor mouth for our area (Galway West)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Seems to be quite a few very negative and bitter men posting on here. All about one-upsmanship and trying to put Dublin down at every oppurtunity. Like a broken record. Sad really.

I do hope Dublin win 5-in-a-row. They deserve it. They are the greatest team to have ever played gaelic football up until now. And yet, as O'Rourke said yesterday, they don't seem to have huge egos which is a another credit to them. Having said that I am not sure when or how they will be stopped. People are talking about a 10-in-a-row now :)

One FF councillor said to me yesterday in the pub - 'It's good if Dublin keep winning because it will mean more investment for the rest of us'. I am not sure if he meant GAA investment or strategic economic investment but he does like to poor mouth for our area (Galway West)!

I'm genuinely hoping they win 10 in a row myself at this stage(Not against us :D), it would be no great shock if they do. HQ might realise what they have done/created at that point.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

So basically Dublin won because they have better players and a bigger better squad. I don't think anybody disputes that.

That's not what I said at all. Compare the starting 15 from Dublin yesterday to the one from 2013.
    Even the subs that came on, McMahon, O'Sullivan, Andrew's it's not that different.

My main point was that Mayo have been poor all year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

C__MC wrote: »
    The big thing going into final is kickouts
    99 times out of hundred, Dublin gain possession from theirs while through a zonal press, they decimate the opposition

Dublin were actually turned over on kickouts numerous times yesterday. When they are they just foul and get the blanket defence in place. When mayo lost kickouts they tried to win it back. Ultimately that naive honesty cost them dearly. But it wasnt the losing of the kickout - which happened out near halfway - that caught them. What caught them is what happened afterwards.

That is why I dont get it when people call mayo cynical. They are actually probably naively honest in much of their play which ends up giving up soft goal chances. Dublin had men dropping constantly and tactically fouled whenever they lost a ball. That is proper cynical play. Thats why they dont concede goals. Fair play to them too.

That's not what I said at all. Compare the starting 15 from Dublin yesterday to the one from 2013.
    Even the subs that came on, McMahon, O'Sullivan, Andrew's it's not that different.

My main point was that Mayo have been poor all year

They have, and yet there is probably only two teams in the country capable of beating Mayo in a knockout game. Dublins team yesterday is a much better team than in 2013, faster, stronger, more skillful, better coached and conditioned, much bigger squad options than even a few years ago.

Its not good for the game when a team that gets thrashed by Dublin is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country. The gap is getting wider and wider. Cork with there size if they get there act together should be doing better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Seems to be quite a few very negative and bitter men posting on here. All about one-upsmanship and trying to put Dublin down at every oppurtunity. Like a broken record. Sad really.

not disputing that dublin are a great team they are but it's the fact that the competitiveness of the championship has gone out the window

and I was beating the same drum a few years ago when kilkenny were so dominant in the hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Dublin were actually turned over on kickouts numerous times yesterday. When they are they just foul and get the blanket defence in place. When mayo lost kickouts they tried to win it back. Ultimately that naive honesty cost them dearly. But it wasnt the losing of the kickout - which happened out near halfway - that caught them. What caught them is what happened afterwards.

That is why I dont get it when people call mayo cynical. They are actually probably naively honest in much of their play which ends up giving up soft goal chances. Dublin had men dropping constantly and tactically fouled whenever they lost a ball. That is proper cynical play. Thats why they dont concede goals. Fair play to them too.

They are masters of this when games are going against them. Kill the move at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It was important to have one clear clean destruction of Mayo as part of the five drive. There had been nothing in the previous games, so to blow them away yesterday and stamp an indelible mark of dominance was fitting and appropriate. I hope it’s Kerry in the final and we do similar again: end the run with proper hammerings of the teams that dared to go toe to toe with the greatest team of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

fergus1001 wrote: »
    not disputing that dublin are a great team they are but it's the fact that the competitiveness of the championship has gone out the window

and I was beating the same drum a few years ago when kilkenny were so dominant in the hurling

I wasn't beating any drum when Kilkenny were winning. And i've been to over 20 hurling finals and have Tipp blood. They were the best team and it was up to others to get to their level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The football Championship would be a great championship without Dublin

More competitive for sure but Tyrone would be going for three in a row without Dublin and their style of play is far far less easy on the eyes than Dublin's.

Problems that exist in Gaelic football ie everyone behind the ball, handpassing over and back between midfield and 40, unwillingness to drive forward would still exist without Dublin

Without Dublin; Galway and Monaghan would still be ultra defensive, Tyrone would still attempt to drain life out of match in first half, Mayo would still be over-reliant on Cillian O'Connor, Andy Moran and their half backs for scores, Donegal would still be beaten if Murphy is bottled up, Roscommon would be too one dimensional outside Enda Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

C__MC wrote: »
    Once Dublin have the ball, they are ridiculously well coached and make all the right decisions. This is helped by a high standard of strength and conditioning and athleticism.

:rolleyes:

You know what else helps? Having the best players in the country on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I wasn't beating any drum when Kilkenny were winning. And i've been to over 20 hurling finals and have Tipp blood. They were the best team and it was up to others to get to their level.

Exactly.

I remember being at 2009 final and chap sitting beside me - who was not from Tipp - spend practically whole match ranting about Kilkenny being the "Tyrone of hurling."

Some people just can't abide excellence as it reflects badly on their own lack of worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They have, and yet there is probably only two teams in the country capable of beating Mayo in a knockout game. Dublins team yesterday is a much better team than in 2013, faster, stronger, more skillful, better coached and conditioned, much bigger squad options than even a few years ago.

Its not good for the game when a team that gets thrashed by Dublin is the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country. The gap is getting wider and wider. Cork with there size if they get there act together should be doing better.

Kerry beat Mayo by the same 10 points in the Super 8s. 1-22 v 0-15. Any problem with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

sonnybill wrote: »
    From a neutral , keegan boxed James Mccarthy and another Dublin player had to go off for that intentional elbow, neither incidents were punished.. had it been Dublin players that got away with it there would have been a lot more about it

If i remember if it’s the incident you are talking about McCarthy was lying prone on the ground and was the victim of a full on punch to the lower abdomen, really classy stuff. :rolleyes: there were a crowd of players around so it ‘maybe’ wasn’t seen given that and the slyness... but the two other incidents clear as day... so should have been three reds not one.

The difference is Dublin players motivation is to play winning football and fight to get scores. I think when that happens and frustration mounts in the opposition the only outlet they want to explore is hurting those personally who are hurting them on the scoreboard. It’s not sporting, be a good winner and looser when you have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Some people just can't abide excellence as it reflects badly on their own lack of worth.

Cheers Freud...

There is a big difference between kilkenny and dublin though. What kilkenny are doing, most other counties have the resources to do.
    What dublin are being allowed to do is grossly unfair on everyone else involved. That isnt anything to do with self worth. That is just people, rightly, calling b*llsh*t.

As for self worth - despite already having every advantage going, Dublin needed government intervention to win something...
    Do I really need to finish that point?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Kerry beat Mayo by the same 10 points in the Super 8s. 1-22 v 0-15. Any problem with that?

It was at least a surprise, but they were missing several players. They lost the league final to Mayo a few months ago. With the full squad there is very little between Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal.

The difference with them and Dublin is any injuries weakens the team. So if Kerry have a few injuries then any of the other 3 could beat them and vica versa. Thats what makes those games exciting.

I honestly don't think if you took 5 players from the Dublin team that they would lose. When Brogan can't make the squad then you aren't worrying about squad depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Cheers Freud...

There is a big difference between kilkenny and dublin though. What kilkenny are doing, most other counties have the resources to do.
    What dublin are being allowed to do is grossly unfair on everyone else involved. That isnt anything to do with self worth. That is just people, rightly, calling b*llsh*t.

As for self worth - despite already having every advantage going, Dublin needed government intervention to win something...
    Do I really need to finish that point?

Time to change your name anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

They are masters of this when games are going against them. Kill the move at all costs.

Nothing ironic about that at all coming from an Ulsterman.
    Dublin were too soft, too nice (on the field) for years and the Ulster teams used to do a job on them,
    Not anymore they mix it when required, all the great teams have to or they would not win as much.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Exactly.

I remember being at 2009 final and chap sitting beside me - who was not from Tipp - spend practically whole match ranting about Kilkenny being the "Tyrone of hurling."

Hurling people knew that Kilkenny dominance wouldn't last
    They didn't have the quality coming through from U21 and minor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Anyway I am off to watch the 35th minute to the 46th minute of yesterday's game again (For the fourth time)
    Don't think I will ever get tired of it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement