Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGA Tour Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭bren2001

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Spieth Reed willet Garcia Woods all recent masters winners. Your correct !
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    And possibly Bubba watson before that.. "Following his Masters win, Watson began to struggle. He missed the cut at the Memorial Tournament and the U.S. Open.." (from wikipedia)

Speith went on to win the US Open and Tour Champsionship that year and the Fed Ex. He won twice in 2016 and should have won the Masters again. He won 3 times in 2017 and won the Open as well. If that's cursed , give me a bit of that.

Watson after his first win, retained it and has won a WGC post his second Masters in 2014, won once in 2015, once in 2016 and 3 times in 2018. He also lost a shed load of weight and switched to some stupid Volvik ball in 2017 which (I believe) cost him. He has had an excellent career post 2014.

Tigers back is just gone. He looks sore and tight the entire time. I wouldn't call that a curse. He's just crocked.

Willet never should have won it and struggled with the duties afterwards. His brother didn't help. It's hard to say he was cursed.

Reed and Garcia is surprising, you would think they would have kicked on. Particularly Garcia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Don't forget Cabrera.. he has practically missed every cut since 2009 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

True about Spieth . It’s more recent form with him. What about Scott ? Would it be harsh to include him in that list? I thought he would win more majors after winning the masters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

bren2001 wrote: »

Willet never should have won it and struggled with the duties afterwards. His brother didn't help.

Not having that.

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    True about Spieth . It’s more recent form with him. What about Scott ? Would it be harsh to include him in that list? I thought he would win more majors after winning the masters

Did they bring in the long putter ban after he won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭bren2001

ligerdub wrote: »
    Not having that.

As in, Spieth had it in his hands and tanked. 5 clear at the turn should be a comfortable finish. Willet was on a great run of form at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Looks like TW has withdrawn today.

Our good friend Bryson is getting heaps of abuse online for his slow play yesterday. Plenty of videos going around where he takes well over a minute.

One is 3 minutes long where he paces out a 70 yard shot and the other terrible video is over 2 minutes for a 15-20 foot putt. You can see how pissed of tommy fleetwood and Justin Thomas are getting as well as their caddies. I believe they were on the clock for 8 holes yesterday too.

Pathetic really but even worse that the pga tour are doing nothing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,783 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't see any issue with somebody walking out a 70 yarder.
    I'm no fan of De Chambeau and he is painfully slow but the 70 yarder one is a bit different.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm no fan of De Chambeau and he is painfully slow but the 70 yarder one is a bit different.

If you don't see the issue in a player pacing out a 70 yard shot then you are part of the problem.
    b
    Prompt Pace of Play
    A round of golf is meant to be played at a prompt pace.

Each player should recognize that his or her pace of play is likely to affect how long it will take other players to play their rounds, including both those in the player’s own group and those in following groups.

Players are encouraged to allow faster groups to play through.

(1) Pace of Play Recommendations. The player should play at a prompt pace throughout the round, including the time taken to:

Prepare for and make each stroke,
    Move from one place to another between strokes, and
    Move to the next teeing area after completing a hole.
    A player should prepare in advance for the next stroke and be ready to play when it is his or her turn.

When it is the player’s turn to play:

It is recommended that the player make the stroke in no more than 40 seconds after he or she is (or should be) able to play without interference or distraction, and
    The player should usually be able to play more quickly than that and is encouraged to do so

• Advertisement

Well firstly it's not a big deal to walk out a 70 yarder if you are not slow everywhere else. If Brooks Koepka did it when one shot down playing the last in the Masters you wouldn't hear anybody giving out about it. That's because the average punter realises how important the situation is right there and then. What he doesn't realise is that it's just as important at the first hole of the first round.
    It's all good being ready to take your shot as quickly as possible but you cannot walk out a 70 yarder if you are in the line of your playing partner, you have to wait for him to play before you do it.

This is cheating. No other ways about it. When you impact your playing partners like this, you are having a purposeful negative effect on their game. So easy to fix but unfortunately the PGA Tour are more concerned about airtime profits.

https://twitter.com/fantasygolfpod/status/1160011658686849024

HighLine wrote:
    This is cheating. No other ways about it. When you impact your playing partners like this, you are having a purposeful negative effect on their game. So easy to fix but unfortunately the PGA Tour are more concerned about airtime profits.
    An official should have been up to him before he took the putt and told him he was on the clock. That's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The PGA won't do anything because the players are bigger than the tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

The thing that bugs me aswell is that there were plenty of players and influential golf characters who called out a junior girl for slow play a few weeks ago... easy target. But they are silent now.

HighLine wrote: »
    The thing that bugs me aswell is that there were plenty of players and influential golf characters who called out a junior girl for slow play a few weeks ago... easy target. But they are silent now.

Well it is a fellow pro asking for that video to be posted in fairness. Then Rory and brooks seem to be on about it in every press conference.

In regards the walking out the 70 yards. That just a bit too far in my opinion. You see players pace out pitch shots all the time in fairness. A lot happens when they can still see the group ahead on the next tee.

Just thinking again about something else from last night. After play on the 18 to green I seen Kuchar going shaking hands and maybe I missed it but it appeared to me that Brooks avoided shaking hands with Kuchar. I may be totally wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

https://twitter.com/fantasygolfpod/status/1160011658686849024

That was painful to watch. There is no way he should be allowed to get away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

His caddie had already gone and paced it and given him the distance while he checked a ruling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

That's farcical. Fleetwood and/or Thomas should have finished out then go to next tee to emphasise it. Even driven off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Bryson should be thrown under the bus for that, painful to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why do people put up Twitter links? Can you not just say what was said there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Just thinking again about something else from last night. After play on the 18 to green I seen Kuchar going shaking hands and maybe I missed it but it appeared to me that Brooks avoided shaking hands with Kuchar. I may be totally wrong on this.

I just watched a playback and they definitely shook hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

DeChambeau is a mechanical prick anyway, ocd type of dude, can't call him a fruitcake anymore coz of all the political correct bs, but maybe he's a few slices short of a loaf. Very bad loser as well.

Apparently DeChambeau was furious when questioned after his round today. Said he had been "attacked" and criticism put him "in a bad light".

What a clown.

Apparently DeChambeau was furious when questioned after his round today. Said he had been "attacked" and criticism put him "in a bad light".

What a clown.

https://mobile.twitter.com/daniel_rapaport?lang=en

Here is the transcript from it. WOW doesn’t even begin to describe it. Throws plenty of people under the bus and doesn’t accept any blame at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

DeChambeau has always been a bit of a knob to say the least. The slow play thing is painful, and I suspect is completely hammed up in the attempt to make himself seem like the perfectionist, or even more cerebral. It's nonsense! If he really had that level of insight he'd have all these things wrapped up before he even stepped up to the ball.

The slow play thing is bad enough but the completely up his own arse thing is even worse. He was beaten by Alex Noren at the Ryder cup singles in (an admiteddly high quality match in) France. He couldn't take the defeat, among others, and his quote on it was that "sometimes players that you're much better than raise their game so much when they're up against you". What wankery that is! Alex Noren is one of the harest working pros in the game, and goes under the radar, but he has won big tournaments, he's a solid player. Dr Bryson must see himself as some sort of all time great! Not to mention that time he walked off the green after giving the least enthusiastic handshake to Richard McEvoy, who had just won his first ever event on the European tour in nearly 300 attempts. He's a wrong'un.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why do people put up Twitter links? Can you not just say what was said there?

Nobody is forcing you to read them, are they?

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote:
    Nobody is forcing you to read them, are they?
    No, I'm just asking why do people put them up instead of just posting what was said?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement