Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

jr86 wrote: »
    Technically not unsolved. But the Erickson twins. Craziest story I've ever seen. Will not link to it cos it will cause distress. People are free to look it up. Haunts me till this day... Freakiest story ever

Once heard a podcast about them: very strange indeed.

Although there is no unsolved crime, the mystery remains - what exactly went crazy in the shared psyche of these identical twins?

From having been fairly normal, they suddenly went bananas - jointly, it seems.

"An acute psychotic episode" is a description but not really an explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Technically not unsolved. But the Erickson twins. Craziest story I've ever seen. Will not link to it cos it will cause distress. People are free to look it up. Haunts me till this day... Freakiest story ever

Wow, that is one of the freakiest stories I have ever read, totally bizarre from their ability to bounce back from their injuries, getting run over on a motorway, jumping off a bridge etc to then murdering someone, what’s scarier is that there is nothing on them since 2011 and also that there is an Irish connection and that one of the sisters lived here and apparently the Police in the uk rang garda regarding her family back in Ireland. I hope neither of these are still on our shores, chilling story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Calltocall wrote: »
    Wow, that is one of the freakiest stories I have ever read, totally bizarre from their ability to bounce back from their injuries, getting run over on a motorway, jumping off a bridge etc to then murdering someone, what’s scarier is that there is nothing on them since 2011 and also that there is an Irish connection and that one of the sisters lived here and apparently the Police in the uk rang garda regarding her family back in Ireland. I hope neither of these are still on our shores, chilling story

Apparently so little information on their background too. And I'm pretty sure zero witnesses of their journey to Liverpool

It's like they were superhuman or something. Honestly gives me the absolute creeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

Apparently so little information on their background too. And I'm pretty sure zero witnesses of their journey to Liverpool

It's like they were superhuman or something. Honestly gives me the absolute creeps.

Yeah I’m surprised I never heard of that case before and surprised media never did any follow up coverage of what happened to the sisters etc as it’s a uniquely bizzare story, from reading i think she only did two years of the five, what a ridiculously lenient sentence,the whole story just doesn’t make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭Be right back

She lived in Mallow, I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Two highly intelligent and gifted lads like Gosden and Sloley disappearing within such a short space of time makes me want to write a book with a plot line of the UK government or some other agency running a rogue operation kidnapping genius kids and brainwashing them into working on some as yet unknown project.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

She lived in Mallow, I believe..
    Yeah, Mallow.

Never heard of it before either. Whatever happened it seemed to have been triggered when Ursula visited Sabine in Ireland.
    Poor girls, whatever was going on in their heads, as they had no idea of reality. When Sabine is being arrested you can hear her shouting for the Police. After court when she met Glenn Hollinshead and Peter Molloy, there was still obviously something not right. She kept giving them cigarettes and grabbing them back out of their mouths warning that they may be poisoned. After stabbing him, she escaped and was seen to be randomly hitting herself in the head with a hammer before jumping off a 40 foot bridge onto a motorway.

Crazy that she was sent to prison too. And not another institution. By all accounts, they both seem to have regained their sanity since that psychotic episode, or whatever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can't understand how the Erickson twins survived. That is the weird thing for me.

Plenty can have psychotic episodes, but would not survive what they did. Mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6agXn3fVnRs

Here is a picture of Sabina after she was arrested and how it appeared in the independent - https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/woman-sentenced-for-stab-killing-26585546.html

Two highly intelligent and gifted lads like Gosden and Sloley disappearing within such a short space of time makes me want to write a book with a plot line of the UK government or some other agency running a rogue operation kidnapping genius kids and brainwashing them into working on some as yet unknown project.
    I had been thinking the exact same thing.

I was thinking along very similar lines for a plot, but not a kidnapping.

The two boys, Gosden and Sloley, attend the same maths camp where they are working on problems in theoretical computer science. Between them, they solve P=NP (you must suspend your disbelief for a moment), and therefore the latent potential of all endeavours in human civilisation opens broadly before them, a great wall in the progress of man falls away, and they contemplate a world without cancer, without a need for humans to toil and labour, and where the boards.ie responsive site is a pleasure to use. It seems almost Biblical.

The boys' supervisor finds out what they have done, and all of their elation turns to horror when, portentively, gloomily, he warns of the great terror & turmoil that their discovery could preciptate. All three agree to sit on it, and do nothing for the moment. A fortnight later the maths tutor turns-up dead in Moscow. One of the boys starts to be followed. He runs away to London. MI6 are soon called in, and the security services are now keeping a close eye on Boy 2, but still only the two boys have the Proof.

There are intrigues, double-crossings, near-fatal mistakes and,everywhere, there is deceit. Two pages before the curtain falls on this masterful thriller, the two boys are on a ferry leaving Ushuaia, Argentina. But I can't say whether it's a kidnapping or an escape, or whether they survive. You'll have to buy the book.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Needs more explosions and bare chested ladies.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Needs more explosions and bare chested ladies.

It's a maths thriller. It will be bubbling over with vulgar functions and secs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It's a maths thriller. It will be bubbling over with vulgar functions and secs

Ooh-er! Vulgar fractions and parabolic curves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Listening to the podcast Root of Evil at the moment - about Dr. George Hodel and the belief (supported by very compelling circumstantial evidence) that he was responsible for the extremely grisly murder of Elizabeth Short, aka the Black Dahlia.

Fecking hell, the man was an utter degenerate... a danger to his own family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Listening to the podcast Root of Evil at the moment - about Dr. George Hodel and the belief (supported by very compelling circumstantial evidence) that he was responsible for the extremely grisly murder of Elizabeth Short, aka the Black Dahlia.
    Fecking hell, the man was an utter degenerate... a danger to his own family.

Had never heard of him until I watched the I Am The Night miniseries... echoes your second sentence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Had never heard of him until I watched the I Am The Night miniseries... echoes your second sentence.
    I've started watching that too. Very good but some inaccuracies, and understandably limitations.

Hugely recommend the podcast - although it's not for the faint-hearted. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Any of those cryptozoology mysteries ie. Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Yowie etc.

Full version of the 'Traffic Cops - Twins Madness in the Fast Lane'
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1B9T6hRK3k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

We'll never know what happened but the Madeleine McCann case has always stayed with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

and where the boards.ie responsive site is a pleasure to use.

I love the way you think but the above is far too fanciful and improbable to fly. You'll need to leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    We'll never know what happened but the Madeleine McCann case has always stayed with me.

I think there's still hope with the Madeleine Mcann case. By 'hope' I mean for the truth of what happened to her (since she's almost definitely deceased). Pretty much everyone involved is still around.

Unlike the Beaumont Children, who vanished in 1966. That haunts me and I very much doubt we'll ever know what happened to them or where their remains were buried. If I could magically solve any case at all it'd be the Beaumont Children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I read this entire thread yesterday -fascinating!!!!

I found this interesting only mentioned once in thread and described in article as a fait morgana. I still think its extrordinary.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/612531/Did-parallel-universe-open-up-Hundreds-see-floating-city-filmed-in-skies-above-China

• Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

khalessi wrote: »
    I read this entire thread yesterday -fascinating!!!!

I found this interesting only mentioned once in thread and described in article as a fait morgana. I still think its extrordinary.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/612531/Did-parallel-universe-open-up-Hundreds-see-floating-city-filmed-in-skies-above-China

Temperature inversion can mirror object on the ground into the sky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or...

1041062-studio-ghibli-fest-concludes-howls-moving-castle-nov-26-27-29.jpg?itok=gaobkpQu

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Temperature inversion can mirror object on the ground into the sky.

Mirage. Clouds. Weather balloon made of highly reflective aluminised mylar.

Or unreliable witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

I have watched the 1st episode and didnt realise Hoder was a real person

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Probably said already but MH370 has to be well up there... So many people missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I think my fave is probably Elisa Lam.

The disappearance of Brandon Lawson hasn't been mentioned.

A recent update on reddit.

His creepy phone call to 911.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Wow. Have never heard of the Brandon Lawson case before. He sounds completely out of it on that phone call.