Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

In all fairness, god rest their souls but it's easy to see where they ended up.
    Just no c**t was convicted of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I do still wonder about it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Oops! wrote: »
    In all fairness, god rest their souls but it's easy to see where they ended up.
    Just no c**t was convicted of it.
    Yeah true in relation to the Americans - perhaps Amy Lynn is still alive though (but perhaps not, god help her).

The British girl though, Rebecca - that case is weirder imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I understand what your saying.... but id say they all ended up the same way if the choose to or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

oneilla wrote: »

Proto-Romance language, eh? I'm not convinced...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yeah true in relation to the Americans - perhaps Amy Lynn is still alive though (but perhaps not, god help her).

The British girl though, Rebecca - that case is weirder imo.

That Bradley girl, she was last seen on the balcony of the cabin asleep.
    Had she left the room she'd have been caught on the hallway cameras, right?

She had to have jumped or fallen (got the spins in her hangover?).
    How can they be so confident its "very unlikely she fell?"

Rebecca Coriam's was settled out of court, I'd say Disney Cruises had more info than they let on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Fascinating report by Rosita Boland in last Saturday's Irish Times about Peter Bergmann, who's body was found washed up on Rosses Point beach ten years ago this week. So many unanswered questions even down to the basic fact that he has never been identified.
    Link to the report here:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-unsolved-mystery-of-peter-bergmann-1.3923308

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

GoneHome wrote: »
    Fascinating report by Rosita Boland in last Saturday's Irish Times about Peter Bergmann, who's body was found washed up on Rosses Point beach ten years ago this week. So many unanswered questions even down to the basic fact that he has never been identified.
    Link to the report here:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/the-unsolved-mystery-of-peter-bergmann-1.3923308

Really strange one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

rusty cole wrote: »
    best ever.. I recall reading this in my schoolbook in English as a kid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil%27s_Footprints

Wow ! I remember reading about it too in school, thanks for that !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Lord Lucan.

... also, that poor woman who disappeared a few years ago in Bray Co Wicklow.
    Her car was last seen driving up the promenade, it was parked, and that was the last time she was ever seen!

Presuming she was driving the car?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Its a myth that most of these mysteries remain unsolved.

Most have been solved, mainly in scientific journals and tv programs. There is a perfectly logical answer to them all. Many are human fabrications such as crop circles, big foot, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Its a myth that most of these mysteries remain unsolved.

Most have been solved, mainly in scientific journals and tv programs. There is a perfectly logical answer to them all. Many are human fabrications such as crop circles, big foot, etc.

They're great stories though. That's what makes many of them "favourites" in this thread, rather than their being solved or otherwise as time goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I still don't know how they get the figs into the fig rolls:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

That was funny the first post not the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

LordSutch wrote: »
    The Jill Dando case always baffles me.

Like why?

Me too. The most logical perpetrators in terms of motive would be a jilted former lover or some weirdo loner in the mould of Barry George (but not Barry himself, I hasten to add if his lawyers are reading). But neither of those would seem to tally with the apparent professionalism of the hit. If there was a prime suspect in either of those categories I'm sure word would have leaked out from the cops at this stage, given the level of interest in the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Dyatlov Pass incident. 9 Hikers died in mysterious circumstances hiking in the Ural mountains in the Soviet Union, 1959.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Me too. The most logical perpetrators in terms of motive would be a jilted former lover or some weirdo loner in the mould of Barry George (but not Barry himself, I hasten to add if his lawyers are reading). But neither of those would seem to tally with the apparent professionalism of the hit. If there was a prime suspect in either of those categories I'm sure word would have leaked out from the cops at this stage, given the level of interest in the case.

Why not Barry himself? I think they got the right man. Whatever about his motive - he's a madman, obviously - he was certainly capable of using a firearm with the intention of killing. The list of alternative suspects is very short indeed. Why? Because, there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Why not Barry himself? I think they got the right man. Whatever about his motive - he's a madman, obviously - he was certainly capable of using a firearm with the intention of killing. The list of alternative suspects is very short indeed. Why? Because, there are none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,202 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

chicorytip wrote: »

An interesting theory I read before was Dando knew too much about Jimmy Saville during the 90s and other 'pedophilia rings'. Tried to alert the BBC bosses but nothing was done. She was deemed to have known too much and could be a potential reason as to what happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,165 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you mean apart from the three witnesses who placed him somewhere else at the time of the murder?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

They should check out dog walkers more thoroughly. How many times have bodies being found by "a man out walking his dog" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

An interesting theory I read before was Dando knew too much about Jimmy Saville during the 90s and other 'pedophilia rings'. Tried to alert the BBC bosses but nothing was done. She was deemed to have known too much and could be a potential reason as to what happened to her.

thanks for summmerising a 15 hour david icke lecture into one sentence

Edgware wrote: »
    They should check out dog walkers more thoroughly. How many times have bodies being found by "a man out walking his dog" ?

Why don't they just make airplanes out of the black box material?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Why did the Catholic Church close down their 'St Patrick's Purgatory' pilgrimage site on Saints Island on Lough Derg in the late 1400's and then make a new version of it on Station Island next to it - and still to this day deny that's the case (even though history says otherwise). Nevermind they had to make Station Island larger as it was smaller than Saints Island. I find that a fecken mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The list of alternative suspects is very short indeed. Why? Because, there are none.

In fairness to the cops, if the killer was somebody in the mould of what Barry George was alleged to be - a weirdo loner who wanted to kill a celeb for their own private kicks - where do you start looking for somebody like that in a city of ten million people? I'm sure they got reports of guys like that acting even more strangely than usual round the time of the murder, but the trail had gone very cold by the time George's conviction was quashed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

razorblunt wrote: »
    Why don't they just make airplanes out of the black box material?
    Because they are orange. Hmmm maybe Easyjet could use it ?

Cars have crumple zones to soften the impact. If you were on an aeroplane made out of black box material you'd end up as a stain on the bulkhead.

Because they are orange. Hmmm maybe Easyjet could use it ?

Cars have crumple zones to soften the impact. If you were on an aeroplane made out of black box material you'd end up as a stain on the bulkhead.

Airplane food, what's up with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,981 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

razorblunt wrote: »
    Airplane food, what's up with that?

Your taste buds work differently in plane environment \ cabin pressure.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement