Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

J Mysterio wrote: »
    main-qimg-6f6cfa591f827de507ea38068adc1522

Maybe with 20 pints in you? :D

Not with yours lad.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,283 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

J Mysterio wrote: »
    main-qimg-6f6cfa591f827de507ea38068adc1522

Maybe with 20 pints in you? :D

I've seen worse in Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

mikhail wrote: »
    We did, cap. We killed 'em all. Probably raped a few of their women too, from the results of genetic studies in recent years.
    Maybe they raped a few homo sapiens women too. Maybe there were friendly relationships for a bit too like European trappers in Native American territory etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A reminder of the big one.

What happened to the Neanderthals ?

I think they're supposed to have dies out as they weren't as adaptable as Homo Sapiens. They reckon the last confirmed group was in the South of Spain from excavations carried out there in the last few years.

There's evidence of a small percentage of their DNA found in our DNA, some 3 or 4% iirc. So there's evidence of some crossing between both groupings either forcibly or through happenstance. Some isolated populations could have mingled with the larger populations and been assimilated. In truth, the picture shown above isn't far removed from an ancient human in body type so it mightn't have been uncommon.

Archaeologists have found evidence of Homo Sapiens and Devinsonians, another strain of Homo, interbreeding in DNA analysis of a predominantly Devinsonian population and some of those genes are fairly prevalent in Eastern DNA. Iirc, the DNA turned up a mother and her half human, half Devinsonian child?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/48974341

Interesting read ... the mystery of US boxer Sonny Liston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

TomSweeney wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/boxing/48974341

Interesting read ... the mystery of US boxer Sonny Liston

Blimey. Not so much a mystery as a really great read. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

where do my wages go every week ... thats a mystery to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

maccored wrote: »
    Do you have a wife? That's often the answer to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

maccored wrote: »

Send me on your details and passwords and I'll look into it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

So as per my sig, I'm petitioning for an unsolved mysteries forum. Not much interest I have to say :o:D so how about changing the True Crime forum name to True Crime & Unsolved Mysteries? The two go hand in hand I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,860 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So as per my sig, I'm petitioning for an unsolved mysteries forum. Not much interest I have to say :o:D so how about changing the True Crime forum name to True Crime & Unsolved Mysteries? The two go hand in hand I guess.

Post the link to your thread request GAP , might get a bit more attention that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Came across this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabella_Stewart_Gardner_Museum_theft tonight. I’d never heard anything about it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Post the link to your thread request GAP , might get a bit more attention that way :)
    Thanks Mam - true, not everyone can see sigs: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997460

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Thanks Mam - true, not everyone can see sigs: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057997460

I can see sigs..... you don't have one! Solve that mystery first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Andrew_Gosden

Never heard of this before but it's arguably the oddest case I've come across

Extremely intelligent 14 year old - with a 100% school attendance record, who was apparently fairly unsociable and rarely left the house, and who generally would leave a note if he even popped to the shop - one day decided to bunk off and head to London for a day (he was from Doncaster). He was spotted on CCTV leaving kings cross and never seen again

He went to his local park that morning instead of school, waited for his parents to go to work, and then returned home where he staged being at school - he hung up his blazer and put the rest of his uniform in the wash. He then left early for Doncaster train station. By the way his returning home and subsequent re-exit was caught on CCTV of a neighbours' house.

Here are the oddities:

He only took his PSP (this was 2007 by the way). No charger, no change of clothes etc. He left 100 quid at home but then withdrew 200 from an ATM before getting to Doncaster train station. He had 214 in his account and it had no 10 pound note so essentially he cleared his account. So new life theories seem already debunked

But get this, the ticket operator who sold him the train ticket remembers him clearly as he was adamant he didn't want a return ticket despite it being only 50p dearer and she continually asked was he sure he just wanted a single given the circumstances, to which he was certain he did

His last confirmed citing was the CCTV in kings cross (the image of him leaving the train station - clearly on his own - gives me the heebie jeebies)

After that it seems the parents weren't too happy with the police's efforts. It was too late to avail of any other CCTV in London by the time they were on the case. The school had tried to phone his parents when he didn't turn up but dialled a wrong number

There was two credible sightings - followed up by the parents not the police. They were later on that day at a pizza hut and covent garden. The pizza hut one especially - apparently they described his mannerisms and way he talked exactly like Andrew in reality. Both instances he was reported to be on his own

He had family in London and stayed there with his immediate family from time to time. He appeared pretty streetwise and was likely to be able to navigate the tube etc

But it's all a complete mystery. A popular theory followed up was that he attended a concert but it seemed out of character not to ask his parents and in any case he never appeared to ask any relation or anyone to stay over

He wasn't being visibly bullied, although this seemed to be more hunches than anything. He apparently had started walking to school in the days before his disappearance - a 1.5 hour walk - rather than the bus, which was deemed out of character. He didn't seem to have many friends and was intellectually gifted.

So all in all very, very weird case

Did he commit suicide? His father wondered whether he may have been gay and that this was too much of a burden. But absolutely zero trace of a body and why go all the way to London.

The obvious theory is he was groomed. But to throw even more bizarreness into the mix - his internet usage was completely limited and there was zero traces of him interacting with anyone online, from the school computer, and home laptops etc. He had a phone, used it extremely sparingly (again he had few friends) but lost it a good bit before his disappearance I think, and was extremely indifferent to the point he never replaced it

All I can surmise is that he may have been groomed offline and was of the impression he would be delivered safely home that evening, so no need to get return ticket. But then why was he apparently alone at pizza hut - if this was him, which the parents are convinced it was

Interestingly he attended some school for the intellectually gifted over the summer I believe (the disappearance is a few days into a new school year in September).

Another interesting point - possible red herring - his favourite book was about a character who staged his death and restarted a new life.

I find it hard to believe he's alive though sadly

Fascinating case and well worth a read. It has completely stumped Reddit and the likes . Basically a quiet, rule abiding, and anti social 14 year old decided one day to up and head for the lights of London and literally vanishes off the earth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

jr86 wrote: »
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Andrew_Gosden

Never heard of this before but it's arguably the oddest case I've come across

Extremely intelligent 14 year old - with a 100% school attendance record, who was apparently fairly unsociable and rarely left the house, and who generally would leave a note if he even popped to the shop - one day decided to bunk off and head to London for a day (he was from Doncaster). He was spotted on CCTV leaving kings cross and never seen again

He went to his local park that morning instead of school, waited for his parents to go to work, and then returned home where he staged being at school - he hung up his blazer and put the rest of his uniform in the wash. He then left early for Doncaster train station. By the way his returning home and subsequent re-exit was caught on CCTV of a neighbours' house.

Here are the oddities:

He only took his PSP (this was 2007 by the way). No charger, no change of clothes etc. He left 100 quid at home but then withdrew 200 from an ATM before getting to Doncaster train station. He had 214 in his account and it had no 10 pound note so essentially he cleared his account. So new life theories seem already debunked

But get this, the ticket operator who sold him the train ticket remembers him clearly as he was adamant he didn't want a return ticket despite it being only 50p dearer and she continually asked was he sure he just wanted a single given the circumstances, to which he was certain he did

His last confirmed citing was the CCTV in kings cross (the image of him leaving the train station - clearly on his own - gives me the heebie jeebies)

After that it seems the parents weren't too happy with the police's efforts. It was too late to avail of any other CCTV in London by the time they were on the case. The school had tried to phone his parents when he didn't turn up but dialled a wrong number

There was two credible sightings - followed up by the parents not the police. They were later on that day at a pizza hut and covent garden. The pizza hut one especially - apparently they described his mannerisms and way he talked exactly like Andrew in reality. Both instances he was reported to be on his own

He had family in London and stayed there with his immediate family from time to time. He appeared pretty streetwise and was likely to be able to navigate the tube etc

But it's all a complete mystery. A popular theory followed up was that he attended a concert but it seemed out of character not to ask his parents and in any case he never appeared to ask any relation or anyone to stay over

He wasn't being visibly bullied, although this seemed to be more hunches than anything. He apparently had started walking to school in the days before his disappearance - a 1.5 hour walk - rather than the bus, which was deemed out of character. He didn't seem to have many friends and was intellectually gifted.

So all in all very, very weird case

Did he commit suicide? His father wondered whether he may have been gay and that this was too much of a burden. But absolutely zero trace of a body and why go all the way to London.

The obvious theory is he was groomed. But to throw even more bizarreness into the mix - his internet usage was completely limited and there was zero traces of him interacting with anyone online, from the school computer, and home laptops etc. He had a phone, used it extremely sparingly (again he had few friends) but lost it a good bit before his disappearance I think, and was extremely indifferent to the point he never replaced it

All I can surmise is that he may have been groomed offline and was of the impression he would be delivered safely home that evening, so no need to get return ticket. But then why was he apparently alone at pizza hut - if this was him, which the parents are convinced it was

Interestingly he attended some school for the intellectually gifted over the summer I believe (the disappearance is a few days into a new school year in September).

Another interesting point - possible red herring - his favourite book was about a character who staged his death and restarted a new life.

I find it hard to believe he's alive though sadly

Fascinating case and well worth a read. It has completely stumped Reddit and the likes . Basically a quiet, rule abiding, and anti social 14 year old decided one day to up and head for the lights of London and literally vanishes off the earth

His name is Andrew Gosden.I think he wanted to disappear.Someone that smart knew what they where doing.Maybe the pressure of being gifted got to him.But unless a body is found or he pops up in a few years.We will never know.

dubstarr wrote: »
    His name is Andrew Gosden.I think he wanted to disappear.Someone that smart knew what they where doing.Maybe the pressure of being gifted got to him.But unless a body is found or he pops up in a few years.We will never know.

The weirdest thing is pretty much every theory seems to throw up contradictions

If he simply wanted to disappear why not bring his PSP charger - by all accounts he was a heavy user , the 100 quid in his room, any change of clothes - even a jacket, and a passport?

It seems a shoddy attempt at starting a new life but it may have been complete spur of the moment in fairness.

That said if he was still alive, 12 years on and grown out of adolescence surely he would have come to his senses at some stage and contacted his family

Zero credible sightings after that day. Unless he became a beggar on the street, chances are he died, given he couldn't leave the country sans passport

Whether this was foul play or voluntary , who knows

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Quazzie wrote: »
    I can see sigs..... you don't have one! Solve that mystery first!

Not displayed on touch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That there was another young guy who disappeared in kinda similar circumstances is probably coincidence but still

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

jr86 wrote: »
    The weirdest thing is pretty much every theory seems to throw up contradictions

If he simply wanted to disappear why not bring his PSP charger - by all accounts he was a heavy user , the 100 quid in his room, any change of clothes - even a jacket, and a passport?

It seems a shoddy attempt at starting a new life but it may have been complete spur of the moment in fairness.

That said if he was still alive, 12 years on and grown out of adolescence surely he would have come to his senses at some stage and contacted his family

Zero credible sightings after that day. Unless he became a beggar on the street, chances are he died, given he couldn't leave the country sans passport

Whether this was foul play or voluntary , who knows
    Nobody knows why he left.Maybe there was abuse in the family.And thats why he left and didnt contact them.And his charger.Maybe he had a spare.Its a weird one alright though

• Advertisement

Anything's possible of course, but I'd extremely doubt there was any abuse going on tbh. Something would have surely come out

He also brought his house key with him too that day
    Wibbs wrote: »
    That there was another young guy who disappeared in kinda similar circumstances is probably coincidence but still

Wow very strange indeed.

Such bizarre cases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Very weird.
    I'd say the similarities are suggestive.
    I hope they turn up - or the criminal does, if there is one. (which seems likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I wonder did he intend on coming home, but somebody else noticed he was on his own and maybe followed him for a while.. :(
    He looks to be a very young looking 14 year old from the few pictures I have seen.
    It would be amazing to hear about him turning up one day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I live in the UK, that poster of Gosden is always on those new billboards and bus stops that change images.
    I always wondered why they keep using the old picture of him and not a side by side with the aged picture.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I live in the UK, that poster of Gosden is always on those new billboards and bus stops that change images.
    I always wondered why they keep using the old picture of him and not a side by side with the aged picture.

Surprised I'd never heard of it till recently myself

I suppose it probably got little coverage in Ireland. Its such a bizarre case though!

Suckit wrote: »
    I wonder did he intend on coming home, but somebody else noticed he was on his own and maybe followed him for a while.. :(
    He looks to be a very young looking 14 year old from the few pictures I have seen.
    It would be amazing to hear about him turning up one day though.

Yeah could well be something as simple as just getting a rebellious urge to head to the big city for a day and as you say someone followed him or whatever.

But he generally left notes if he was even just slipping off to the shops... Now at that age I'm sure we all behave erratically from time to time, and there's nowt as queer as folk and all that - sometimes people just exhibit unexplained behaviour out of nowhere

I really think the change of routine is significant though in the preceding days, such as walking home from school which I've read was apparently a 1.5 hour journey - this is certainly quite unusual. He was apparently very irritable on the morning itself aswell - but this could be just confirmation bias as such

Yeah he definitely looked young for his age. He looks distinctive though - which makes it even crazier he left without such a trace. The average 14 year old lad would have similar short haircuts and wear standard t-shirts or whatever. One with longish parted hair, glasses and a 'Slipknot' black t-shirt would stand out considerably

Its very sad reading over it. The poor family

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I’ve been going through this thread a bit over the last few days and have been surprised I hadn’t come across anyone mentioning the Andrew Gosden case up until this page. I follow true crime and mysteries a lot and this case is up there with one of my favourites (I.e. one of the ones I’d love to know what happened the most).
    Good write up by jr86 above on the case and he mentions he hadn’t heard of it before. I think this is the case with a lot of people and I reckon it’s mainly down to the fact that it happened in September 2007, just a few months after Madeline McCann disappeared so the media was saturated in that coverage whereas the AG case was kinda drowned out unfortunately.

It’s really hard to know what happened such is the lack of evidence. Many theorise he was groomed although no known evidence has been discovered to prove this. Some suggest he could’ve been reached online on his PSP but I recall his parents saying before he didn’t have an internet connection on this.
    The money he left behind in his room is very interesting as this may suggest he wasn’t running away. In any case I can’t imagine any 14 year old getting too far on the £200 or so that he withdrew from his bank.

It’s frustrating that by the time police requested CCTV footage in and around Kings Cross station, it was a few weeks later and the footage was recorded over. Although given that there were sightings of him at the Pizza Hut in Covent Gardens by himself, the footage on him coming out of KX probably wouldn’t have shown up much.

I can only estimate that he went to London to go to that heavy metal concert and met with some sort of foul play. It’s hard to know though if it was just a spontaneous decision by Andrew as by all accounts his character and personality would dictate that he was quiet, shy and rule abiding. Ducking off school and doing something as daring as heading to London by himself just didn’t seem like something he would’ve done on a whim.

It’s a fascinating but frustrating case. I feel for the family as they’ve never given up hope. I think there was a thread or AMA on reddit a few years ago with the father who was happy to answer questions and the family seemed thankful for redditors help to keep the case alive. Sadly, I just don’t think he’s still out there

• Advertisement

Technically not unsolved. But the Erickson twins. Craziest story I've ever seen. Will not link to it cos it will cause distress. People are free to look it up. Haunts me till this day... Freakiest story ever

Advertisement