Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

take in some knacker fighting in Eyre Square

Th real fun lies in joining in. I had two friends who used to that after a feed of pints. They thought I was very odd when I declined to participate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Muahahaha wrote: »

From 2017. Out of date. The report from 2019 has Dublin with the sixth worst congestion in Europe (behind Rome) and the slowest city centre on the continent:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-traffic-report-4491153-Feb2019/

Arghus wrote: »
    Ah yeah. I think Galway has taken some unfair and inaccurate criticism in this thread, but I think the weather and the traffic are objectively bad things about the place.

Relative levels of the problem. Well, good luck getting to the bottom of that highly subjective criteria, but, IMO, Galway - for a place of roughly 80-100k has relatively bad problems with traffic gridlock and congestion.

I've just posted a link with 2019 reports of worldwide city congestion levels. Galway doesn't even make the Irish top three. Dublin is the 14th worst worldwide and the sixth worst in Europe. Cork and Limerick also make the worldwide top 100. Doesn't make us look good as a nation.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/traffic-jam-capital-dublin-makes-top-20-most-congested-list-38176951.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Fair play Seathrun66 impressive and accurate defending of Galway from a lot of misinformed and jealous posters by using both facts and your own experiences.

So weird how these Galway bashing threads pop up every year. The place must definitely be doing something right.

If I was on the Galway 2020 committee I definitely nominate you for head of PR :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

My experience of Galway traffic is mainly confined to driving from Oranmore to Rahoon. That can be painful. Some of the roundabouts are too small and cars are coming at you rapidly. As for cycling, you’d want to be fairly keen pedalling up that Old Dublin Road. Obviously, a bypass was needed a long time ago.

• Advertisement

Fair play Seathrun66 impressive and accurate defending of Galway from a lot of misinformed and jealous posters by using both facts and your own experiences.

So weird how these Galway bashing threads pop up every year. The place must definitely be doing something right.

If I was on the Galway 2020 committee I definitely nominate you for head of PR :D

Thanks Dominic. And just wait for next year when international media are going to focus on the city during the City of Culture celebrations. Some apoplectic posters here I expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Thanks Dominic. And just wait for next year when international media are going to focus on the city during the City of Culture celebrations. Some apoplectic posters here I expect.

You obviously don't know how the logic of After Hours works - there'll be more people giving out about the place than ever!

You obviously don't know how the logic of After Hours works - there'll be more people giving out about the place than ever!

Isn't that what I said? Think I'll leave the trolling threads alone in 2020.

Isn't that what I said? Think I'll leave the trolling threads alone in 2020.

Indeed, I misread apoplectic as apologetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

From 2017. Out of date. The report from 2019 has Dublin with the sixth worst congestion in Europe (behind Rome) and the slowest city centre on the continent:

https://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-traffic-report-4491153-Feb2019/

Eh well Im sorry but traffic in Galway has certainly not improved since 2017, if anything it has gotten worse. You said that "there is no comparison" between Dublins gridlock and what goes on in Galway- Im merely pointing out that there most certainly is a comparison when a survey deems Galway to be the most congested city in Ireland. These surveys are swings and roundabouts but to claim that Galway cant be compared to Dublin in terms of traffic is plan ludicrous when everyone in Galway is screaming for a solution.

Anyway dont take my word for it, here is the biggest thread in the Galway forum full of people wanting the problem to be sorted out
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057956494

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Is that HUGE pile of scrap metal still at the harbour? What an eyesore!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I wouldnt be holding the City of Culture 2020 up either, friends in Galway tell me it is looking like another cock up in a long line of cock ups coming from the city. I mean the very fact that Druid Theatre, Galways most prestigious theatre group, are refusing to take part because of the infighting going on there speaks volumes. The organising committee has been beset by resignations and arguments over the last year and theres even been rumblings at international level that Galway will not deliver what the organisers promised.

Its just another in a long line of organisational cock ups, from the millions wasted on Eyre Square for a project that ran almost three years over schedule, the cinema that took 9 years to build and almost €10m of taxpayers money or the Volvo Ocean Race whereby the local organisers shafted local Galway businesses by not paying for services supplied and they had to be bailed out by the taxpayer to the tune of €1m.

Its a common theme in Galway that when it comes to big events or projects it always seems to end up with infighting on top of cost and time overruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Meanwhile most of them are like Syd Barrett in 1972 without the prior success.

Quote of the Year :P brilliant

Eh well Im sorry but traffic in Galway has certainly not improved since 2017, if anything it has gotten worse. You said that "there is no comparison" between Dublins gridlock and what goes on in Galway- Im merely pointing out that there most certainly is a comparison when a survey deems Galway to be the most congested city in Ireland. These surveys are swings and roundabouts but to claim that Galway cant be compared to Dublin in terms of traffic is plan ludicrous when everyone in Galway is screaming for a solution.

Anyway dont take my word for it, here is the biggest thread in the Galway forum full of people wanting the problem to be sorted out
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057956494

Boardsies will whine about everything. Anecdotal tales are always trumped by Emperical evidence and solid data. Posting an out of date survey to suit your argument is of little use when the same TomTom researchers don't even have Galway in the top three worst cities this year.

I don't expect Galway's traffic improved since 2016. Possibly the others have just become more congested? And as before, I've never argued that Galway's traffic is good, it's just nowhere near as bad as the slowest city centre in Europe. I'm not gleeful over Dublin's traffic problems. I have friends and family there and go there regularly. I want it to improve and believe it will. Solutions are being suggested and planned and I expect the city to proceed far quicker with these than the other named Irish urban areas.

degsie wrote: »
    Is that HUGE pile of scrap metal still at the harbour? What an eyesore!

Yep. It goes up and down but never leaves. Truly horrible.

A restaurant (Rúibin) recently opened across from it on the Docks and a local listings mag (This Is Galway) had its location as 'overlooking the breathtaking historic harbour'. Without any sense of irony. Hope they got a decent backhander for that.

I wouldnt be holding the City of Culture 2020 up either, friends in Galway tell me it is looking like another cock up in a long line of cock ups coming from the city. I mean the very fact that Druid Theatre, Galways most prestigious theatre group, are refusing to take part because of the infighting going on there speaks volumes. The organising committee has been beset by resignations and arguments over the last year and theres even been rumblings at international level that Galway will not deliver what the organisers promised.

Its just another in a long line of organisational cock ups, from the millions wasted on Eyre Square for a project that ran almost three years over schedule, the cinema that took 9 years to build and almost €10m of taxpayers money or the Volvo Ocean Race whereby the local organisers shafted local Galway businesses by not paying for services supplied and they had to be bailed out by the taxpayer to the tune of €1m.

Its a common theme in Galway that when it comes to big events or projects it always seems to end up with infighting on top of cost and time overruns.

There were indeed cock-ups with the organisation, as seems to be standard with City of Culture events. But the current organising board have been in place since earlier this year and all is proceeding well.

The Druid Theatre are heavily involved in 2020. Factually incorrect of you. They've just changed production plans.

Cock-ups with planning everywhere on this island. No better or worse than elsewhere and we're unfortunately resigned to it but the city has a consistent history of running large events very well.

The Galway International Arts Festival, Comedy Festival, Seafest, Theatre Festival, Film Fleadh, Cuirt Literature Festival, Jazz Festival, Race Week, Macnas Halloween and many other events all run without serious problems. Galway 2020 will be an enormous success that'll bring more much needed money into the country. But hey, feel free to come along and whine here throughout the next eighteen months.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Yep, it really is. Follow the example of Ghent, ban cars from the centre and you have an entirely different vibe.

So you admit Galway has a traffic problem????????????? People here are saying traffic in galway is terrible you are trying to make out it isnt they just need to ban cars :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the cost of parking is extortionate

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

fryup wrote: »
    the cost of parking is extortionate

Everything in Galway is a rip off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Seathrun66 wrote:
    The Druid Theatre are heavily involved in 2020. Factually incorrect of you. They've just changed production plans.

The druid theatre is a load of crap. People wearing shawls and horses heads chanting away in various hues of gibberish. Nobody wants to see it except those degenerate crusties who pretend to understand what's going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Great to crack a few tins on the Spanish Arch of a summer's evening.

€200 on the spot fine for that now, all year round except for the haw haws during the arts Festival and the blagards of race week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

There were indeed cock-ups with the organisation, as seems to be standard with City of Culture events. But the current organising board have been in place since earlier this year and all is proceeding well.

Cock-ups with planning everywhere on this island. No better or worse than elsewhere and we're unfortunately resigned to it but the city has a consistent history of running large events very well.

The Galway International Arts Festival, Comedy Festival, Seafest, Theatre Festival, Film Fleadh, Cuirt Literature Festival, Jazz Festival, Race Week, Macnas Halloween and many other events all run without serious problems. Galway 2020 will be an enormous success that'll bring more much needed money into the country. But hey, feel free to come along and whine here throughout the next eighteen months.

Top tip when arguing a point be like Seathrun66. Use of up to date facts and figures are essential!

pure.conya wrote: »
    €200 on the spot fine for that now, all year round except for the haw haws during the arts Festival and the blagards of race week

Technically yeah, but people still drink there en masse when the sun is out. Do you know of anyone who has actually been fined?

So you admit Galway has a traffic problem????????????? People here are saying traffic in galway is terrible you are trying to make out it isnt they just need to ban cars :confused:

Read through the thread first then get back to us. Wilful misrepresentation of comments ain't helpful. Nor smart.

The druid theatre is a load of crap. People wearing shawls and horses heads chanting away in various hues of gibberish. Nobody wants to see it except those degenerate crusties who pretend to understand what's going on.

Then why have they toured Dublin, London, Washington and Chicago in the past year? Plus three of the seventeen Irish Times Theatre awards this year (GIAF got two more btw).

Next up is Richard III in the Lincoln Center in New York in November. If the world's leading performance arts centre is booking them then the crusties must have taken over.

Yeah, sure, good man.

Technically yeah, but people still drink there en masse when the sun is out. Do you know of anyone who has actually been fined?

I think they gave up on that two years ago. Gardai objected to it being a waste of police resources. Thousands drinking there and the Claddagh basin last week. Not enforced even if it's still official. Anyone know for sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nope. Scale is irrelevant.Traffic problems in a town of 3k could be worse than a city of 120k.

As before there are public transport issues in all Irish cities. Galway has satisfactory city bus services, generally every 20 mins from most areas (Salthill, Newcastle, etc, even more regular from Renmore) and good bus links to Moycullen, Clifden, etc. Good train links to Oranmore, Athenry and Loughrea but more carriages would help.

The greatest issue is getting people to use them and give up the car. The excuse of public transport not being good enough is a pretty feeble one, particularly for those motorists who want other people off the roads but not themselves. The size of Galway lends itself to people using a bike or walking. Just not doable for many Dubliners.

I very much like the LUAS in Dublin. Also the DART. Not too expensive and generally on time. My only gripe is the 11.30/12 closing time. Crazily early for a modern European capital, particularly on Fri/Sat nights. And if you're not on those lines you're kinda screwed. Bus traffic is appalling there.

In summary the infrastructure ain't great but get people to ditch their cars and the problem greatly improves. Berlin, Copenhagen and Amsterdam are good exxamples of this.

Loughrea does not have a train link.

kikilarue2 wrote: »
    Of course scale is relevant. And there is no town of 3k people with traffic worse than a city of 120k people, that’s just silly talk now.

Silly is thee most polite description.

• Advertisement

Everything in Galway is a rip off

Galway people are the greediest in the land.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement