Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And btw Rainybill did a Galwegian run off with your wife or something? The denizens of the town must have done something nasty to deserve your opprobrium. Can we make it up to you?

Well it seems your mask has slipped you are unable to discuss topics with posters so resort to personal insults about family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Well it seems your mask has slipped you are unable to discuss topics with posters so resort to personal insults about family.

So it's true? You have my condolences.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

So it's true? You have my condolences.

Look its obvious you are hurting a lot from this thread :( but dont take it so personal its not a attack on you or your parents. I encourage you to take a break from boards.ie. Try enjoy what is left of the bank holiday weekend you have spent all of it here so far :( surly you can find someone to do something with in the City you are so bravely defending the honour of. Dont waste the weekend here fighting some imaginary noble battle youve created in your head.:(

Look its obvious you are hurting a lot from this thread :( but dont take it so personal its not a attack on you or your parents. I encourage you to take a break from boards.ie. Try enjoy what is left of the bank holiday weekend you have spent all of it here so far :( surly you can find someone to do something with in the City you are so bravely defending the honour of. Dont waste the weekend here fighting some imaginary noble battle youve created in your head.:(

Takes a few seconds to construct a post, even with the essential extra help of a thesaurus. Donating an hour of my free time and goodwill to combat a bit of belligerent ignorance will pave my path to heaven.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Takes a few seconds to construct a post, even with the essential extra help of a thesaurus. Donating an hour of my free time and goodwill to combat a bit of belligerent ignorance will pave my path to heaven.....

Brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Brilliant :D

Thanks. I don't get why so many people want to slag other places off - cities, counties, countries, etc. There are many places I'm not that fond of but I understand people's sensitivities. Thus if I were to post something negative about say Roscommon or New York or Croatia I'd balance it out with something positive.

In terms of Irish towns and cities they've all got faults and positive aspects. But one thing is certain. All pale into comparison with the beauty of the countryside around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Up the Deise!:D I don't even live there or Galway.:D But I can admit that a Galway lad did steal my girlfriend many moons ago. True story. But I never hated Galway because of that. I just find it overrated these days. Loved it back in the 80s though. A breath of fresh Atlantic air!:D

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Up the Deise!:D I don't even live there or Galway.:D But I can admit that a Galway lad did steal my girlfriend many moons ago. True story. But I never hated Galway because of that. I just find it overrated these days. Loved it back in the 80s though. A breath of fresh Atlantic air!:D

The main stretch on Quay St. is generally avoidable (bar Neachtains, Freeneys and Coffeewerk). Most locals drink on the other side of the river around Dominick St and Sea Road. That is very good indeed.

Give it another try if at a loose end some weekend.

And apologies re the Galway lad (though not from here myself). Am sure they both ended up thoroughly unhappy and guilt-wracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,085 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The main stretch on Quay St. is generally avoidable (bar Neachtains, Freeneys and Coffeewerk). Most locals drink on the other side of the river around Dominick St and Sea Road. That is very good indeed.

Give it another try if at a loose end some weekend.

And apologies re the Galway lad (though not from here myself). Am sure they both ended up thoroughly unhappy and guilt-wracked.

They ended up apart in sorry circumstances.;)

Going back to the late 80s/early 90s, I remember the Skeff in Eyre Square, the Hole in the Wall, the waterfront, Kings head and a few others in the Salthill area, whose names I can't remember. Saw Total Recall in the Claddagh, long gone and the Warwick was great for a late session. Also long gone. Galway was good back then for a Dub like me.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The only thing that’s overstated is people’s nonsense reasons for disliking Galway. If you don’t like Galway it’s an issue with the person not Galway.

Rubbish like “there is nothing to do”. What the hell are people doing in the evenings that they feel they can’t do stuff in Galway.

The one thing I know is is I wouldn’t wish living in Dublin on my worst enemy. A dive of a place that I avoid if at all possible.

So you prefer Galway to Dublin?

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    They ended up apart in sorry circumstances.;)

Going back to the late 80s/early 90s, I remember the Skeff in Eyre Square, the Hole in the Wall, the waterfront, Kings head and a few others in the Salthill area, whose names I can't remember. Saw Total Recall in the Claddagh, long gone and the Warwick was great for a late session. Also long gone. Galway was good back then for a Dub like me.:D

Great times. Lived in Galway for a year in the mid-80s and dropped in occasionally when back in the country from the UK. The Waterboys jamming in the then tiny Quays bar several times a week was a highlight. More innocent and fun times, eh?

Different now but there are loads of great bars on the west side of the river. Salt House and Bierhaus for Craft Beer, The Crane for trad, the Roisin Dubh for indie & everything else, Taylors for the old town crowd, Aras na nGael for Gaelic and reggae, E Brun for locals and blues music. Hard not to enjoy a night there.

But hey, great pubs all over the country.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    So you prefer Galway to Dublin?

I think he's sitting on the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

If you don’t like Galway it’s an issue with the person not Galway.

Its that kind of arrogant nonsense that turns people off the place tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m a Galway man myself. It’s a grand spot, but isn’t a patch on Dublin, where I’ve lived now for many years. Dublin has better nightlife, restaurants, culture, weather, public transport options, access to the mountains, beaches. It’s also far less cliquey.

tototoe wrote: »
    Its that kind of arrogant nonsense that turns people off the place tbh.

Mis-contextualised. The poster clearly said that the nonsensical reasons given for disliking Galway were what he objected to not the dislike of the city itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Some people like Galway that’s great . Some don’t who cares . There’s only one thing worse then being talked about and that’s not being talked about .

I’m a Galway man myself. It’s a grand spot, but isn’t a patch on Dublin, where I’ve lived now for many years. Dublin has better nightlife, restaurants, culture, weather, public transport options, access to the mountains, beaches. It’s also far less cliquey.

Much of that very arguable.

Beaches - really? Salthill, Silverstand, Carna, Gurteen, Dog's Bay, etc.
    Weather - almost certainly.
    Restaurants - Galway has two Michelin star restaurants. Dublin is sixteen times the size but has only five. Both have an extensive variety of food but Galway punches way above its weight including 2019 restaurant of the year Loam.
    Nightlife - more easily navigable and safer in Galway.
    Culture - both have extensive choices. Galway more affordable and easier to get to. Dublin obviously has far more as it should have as a European capital city. But how much is the average person getting to see?
    Mountains - Twelve Bens an hour away.
    Public transport options - LUAS and DART good but finish way too early. Buses poor. Galway decent. Both could improve.

Also not noticed the cliqueness. Maybe it's there but not obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

As someone brought up outside Galway I have to say it is the beating heart of the country arts and fun wise. I lived in Dublin and spent time in Cork and Limerick but they don't come close. I don't know why some want to complain about it. I remember talking to a woman one race week who said she really disliked Galway and hated coming here. I asked why do you come then? She had no answer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The poster quoted 'nonsense' reasons for disliking Galway. Not valid reasons which are completely acceptable. Saying the city is too small, has too much rain, insufficient international transport links or doesn't get enough major bands playing are good reasons for not wanting to live here. Others may not like the multiculturalism. For me it's a big plus after moving from London.

Invalid factually erroneous reasons include Galway being overrun with crusties. The ones I've met have been sound and the city has about 65 of them in total. Or there being noting to do bar go to the pub which is a tad absurd.

The poster is just puzzled by people giving daft reasons for not liking the city. As am I. No problem if you don't like it, fine if you hate it, entirely your prerogative. But hey, if you want to slag it off at least do us the courtesy of being accurate.

:D:D:D The reasons are valid to the people who described them. Nox001 said nothing more convincing about Dublin. He said it’s a dive. How informative. So his inane statement “It’s not Galway, it’s you” or whatever the wording was is even more laughable in that context.

And the other poster citing jealousy - what?

:D:D:D The reasons are valid to the people who described them. Nox001 said nothing more convincing about Dublin. He said it’s a dive. How informative.

Not if they're factually and informatively incorrect.

And yes, Nox001 was also unfair about Dublin. But you're the third person to take his statement about Galway out of context.

Personally there are some things I dislike about Dublin, many more I do like. But I won't criticise the city or others because it really serves no purpose. I'd prefer to mention the things I enjoy about places I go to.

• Advertisement

Not if they're factually and informatively incorrect.

And yes, Nox001 was also unfair about Dublin. Personally there are some things I dislike about the city, many more I like.

Some things said on this thread are absolutely bang on. Ireland is a small country. Many of us know plenty the place. You don’t get to arbitrate how true everything said on this thread is. You may want to be the arbiter but you’re not.

You don’t want to criticise. Others want to. Not everyone is the same as you.

The poster quoted 'nonsense' reasons for disliking Galway. Not valid reasons which are completely acceptable. Saying the city is too small, has too much rain, insufficient international transport links or doesn't get enough major bands playing are good reasons for not wanting to live here. Others may not like the multiculturalism. For me it's a big plus after moving from London.

Invalid factually erroneous reasons include Galway being overrun with crusties. The ones I've met have been sound and the city has about 65 of them in total. Or there being noting to do bar go to the pub which is a tad absurd.

The poster is just puzzled by people giving daft reasons for not liking the city. As am I. No problem if you don't like it, fine if you hate it, entirely your prerogative. But hey, if you want to slag it off at least do us the courtesy of being accurate.

I hope you can back up the bolded bit with stats. Accuracy seems important to you after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Jesus Christ.. I can't believe this thread is still going.

Some things said on this thread are absolutely bang on. Ireland is a small country. Many of us know plenty the place. You don’t get to arbitrate how true everything said on this thread is. You may want to be the arbiter but you’re not.

You don’t want to criticise. Others want to. Not everyone is the same as you.

When something is provably factually incorrect then it's necessary to point out the untruth of it. Much spouted here is easily refutable.

I hope you can back up the bolded bit with stats. Accuracy seems important to you after all.

PM your address. I'll send them all round for breakfast tomorrow. Dogs included.

PM your address. I'll send them all round for breakfast tomorrow. Dogs included.

That would be a no then. :D Therefore I’d suggest not wittering on about the need for factually correct statements as per your below comment and other similar comments. You yourself have made a statement that is easily refutable. Oopsies.
    When something is provably factually incorrect then it's necessary to point out the untruth of it. Much spouted here is easily refutable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

This is now a debate between a self-aggrandizing Dubs and self-aggrandizing Galwiegans

Both places are nice. Both have rip off hotels, bad traffic and sh1t weather. Best of all for all of us, we can enjoy all of that with just a 2 hour drive on the Motorway!

That would be a no then. :D Therefore I’d suggest not wittering on about the need for factually correct statements as per your below comment and other similar comments. You yourself have made a statement that is easily refutable. Oopsies.

Shall I define the word 'about' for you?

And go ahead then, refute my approximate number with your statistics.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    This is now a debate between a self-aggrandizing Dubs and self-aggrandizing Galwiegans

Both places are nice. Both have rip off hotels, bad traffic and sh1t weather. Best of all for all of us, we can enjoy all of that with just a 2 hour drive on the Motorway!

Brilliant. And accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Wompa1 wrote:

Incorrect about the weather.
    Galway gets 200 times more rain than Dublin and it still fails to wash the encrusted vomit from the streets.
    Galway 'life' centres around vagrancy,drinking, consuming snack boxes and vomiting in the streets. In Dublin we reserve that behaviour for the Temple Bar area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement