Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway – the city of rain and self-aggrandisement?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Much of that very arguable.

Beaches - really? Salthill, Silverstand, Carna, Gurteen, Dog's Bay, etc.
    Weather - almost certainly.
    Restaurants - Galway has two Michelin star restaurants. Dublin is sixteen times the size but has only five. Both have an extensive variety of food but Galway punches way above its weight including 2019 restaurant of the year Loam.
    Nightlife - more easily navigable and safer in Galway.
    Culture - both have extensive choices. Galway more affordable and easier to get to. Dublin obviously has far more as it should have as a European capital city. But how much is the average person getting to see?
    Mountains - Twelve Bens an hour away.
    Public transport options - LUAS and DART good but finish way too early. Buses poor. Galway decent. Both could improve.

Also not noticed the cliqueness. Maybe it's there but not obvious to me.

Salthill is a crap beach

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Incorrect about the weather.
    Galway gets 200 times more rain than Dublin and it still fails to wash the encrusted vomit from the streets.
    Galway 'life' centres around vagrancy,drinking, consuming snack boxes and vomiting in the streets. In Dublin we reserve that behaviour for the Temple Bar area.

You basically described Irish culture. We're all the same. Just different accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

saabsaab wrote: »
    As someone brought up outside Galway I have to say it is the beating heart of the country arts and fun wise. I lived in Dublin and spent time in Cork and Limerick but they don't come close. I don't know why some want to complain about it. I remember talking to a woman one race week who said she really disliked Galway and hated coming here. I asked why do you come then? She had no answer..

If she based her views of the city on race week then no wonder she dislikes the place, Galway at its worst, mainly due to people from outside the city coming in to drink themselves stupid. The place has so much more going for it than drinking (and of course Supermacs) but if that is all visitors expose themselves to then they will have a very limited view of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,321 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

A lot of views on here remind me of the Yanks dated view of Ireland... simple folk wearing Aran sweaters and dancing at the crossroads.
    There's a lot more to Galway than the tourist traps. Galway does not start at Eyre Square and finish at Quay Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

There's a lot more to Galway than the tourist traps. Galway does not start at Eyre Square and finish at Quay Street.

It kind of does though. It’s a small little smidgen of a city with a university and RTC attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Galway gets 200 times more rain than Dublin and it still fails to wash the encrusted vomit from the streets.
    Galway 'life' centres around vagrancy,drinking, consuming snack boxes and vomiting in the streets. In Dublin we reserve that behaviour for the Temple Bar area.

Isn't there a thread about how much of a mess Dublin city as a whole is in terms of drug use.

And another one about gangland criminals predominantly located in Dublin.

And another about thugs and general and anti-social behavior in west Dublin.

Going on the basis that the worst people are saying about Galway is that it's a bit up itself, I'd say Dublin posters shouldn't be blowing it's trumpet too loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah there is a lot that could be improved in Galway and I'd be the biggest critic when it deserves it but if you think we get 200 times more rain that the east coast then I'd like to see the stats for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Galway is an absolute kip. It's essentially a tweedle dee tourist trap of a city. Full of smelly English crusties who think they're artistes.

Horrendous traffic. Pisses rain all the time. Standoffish and ignorant locals. A third rate university. "festivals" like the arts and oyster festival which consist of the same thing as every other week. Fat **** drinking pints and farting in neactains.

An absolute kip inhabited by bellends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Salthill is a crap beach

Most of the time, yeah. and definitely in the winter. Last week it was pretty cool though, Blackrock had a great vibe and the Czech-run cafe by Ladies Beach is great.

I knew we'd eventually attract a meteorologist to this thread.

• Advertisement

It kind of does though. It’s a small little smidgen of a city with a university and RTC attached.

Probably true. Still doesn't explain why you guys are so fixated with it.

In fairness Dogs Bay would be right up there as one of the nicest beaches in the country.

Yeah there is a lot that could be improved in Galway and I'd be the biggest critic when it deserves it but if you think we get 200 times more rain that the east coast then I'd like to see the stats for that!

Galway's annual rainfall is about 1075mm. Dublin 767mm. So yeah, he was likely accurate about the 200 times multiple.

For comparison Cork is circa 1050, Limerick 981mm, Donegal 1337mm, Killarney 1305mm, Wexford 941mm, Belfast 846mm.

Overall fair play to Dublin, the drier the better.

Galway is an absolute kip. It's essentially a tweedle dee tourist trap of a city. Full of smelly English crusties who think they're artistes.

Horrendous traffic. Pisses rain all the time. Standoffish and ignorant locals. A third rate university. "festivals" like the arts and oyster festival which consist of the same thing as every other week. Fat **** drinking pints and farting in neactains.

So, in essesnce, you're a fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Galway's annual rainfall is about 1075mm. Dublin 767mm. So yeah, he was likely accurate about the 200 times multiple.

For comparison Cork is circa 1050, Limerick 981mm, Donegal 1337mm, Killarney 1305mm, Wexford 941mm, Belfast 846mm.

Overall fair play to Dublin, the drier the better.

Probably explains why they need us to to pump water from the West to supply them in Dublin.
    There. I said it.

In fairness Dogs Bay would be right up there as one of the nicest beaches in the country.

Which is in Roundstone - 90 minutes from Galway city.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Christ did Jimmy Saville touch you up in Neachtains or something?

I'm well aware of where it is.

I'm well aware of where it is.

Harrdly worth mentioning in a discussion about Galway City then is it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Going on the basis that the worst people are saying about Galway is that it's a bit up itself, I'd say Dublin posters shouldn't be blowing it's trumpet too loudly.

Yes but Dublin pays the lions share of taxes in this country. So the people you're castigating are the ones finding the crusty degeneracy of galway via arts council grants, motorway upgrade schemes,business development incentives and myriad other handouts that galway depends on.

A bunch of duffel coats playing the bongos in Eyre square is all fine and dandy but we dubs are the ones funding it.

• Advertisement

Well it's worth more of a mention than the sh1te you posted earlier on.

Well it's worth more of a mention than the sh1te you posted earlier on.

Everything I posted is factually correct pal.

Going on about beaches an hour and a half drive away is stupid.

Probably true. Still doesn't explain why you guys are so fixated with it.

I’m from Galway, dude, and like the place. It’s just that some of those who decide to live there have a very inflated opinion of what the place is actually like - it’s a town with a few decent pubs and a small and self-regarding arts ‘scene’.

70/75 mins. The furthest one I'd mentioned in reply to the poster saying Dublin had better beaches. The closest great beach to Dublin I can think of is Curracloe which is 110 mins away.

The Dublin-based poster gave 'proximity to mountains and beaches' as an argument for the city. Thus proximity to gorgeous Connemara and Clare beaches is a fair reply.

Probably explains why they need us to to pump water from the West to supply them in Dublin.
    There. I said it.

Is this an argument for a Turkey-style cutting off of the water supply? That'd endear us to some of the serene posters here.

Yes but Dublin pays the lions share of taxes in this country. So the people you're castigating are the ones finding the crusty degeneracy of galway via arts council grants, motorway upgrade schemes,business development incentives and myriad other handouts that galway depends on.

Ah is see we have moved onto this nonsense now. Galway is thriving from a business perspective, a world leading hub for medical devices, big tech sector etc. It’s also turning into a real place to be for startups etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A lot of views on here remind me of the Yanks dated view of Ireland... simple folk wearing Aran sweaters and dancing at the crossroads.

When it comes to Galway, there is a lot less to it than meets the eye.

A bunch of duffel coats playing the bongos in Eyre square is all fine and dandy but we dubs are the ones funding it.

Multinationals not Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Going on about beaches an hour and a half drive away is stupid.

Not to mention the fact that when you get there you're immediately blasted by gale force Atlantic winds and the flesh assaulted by icy,driving rain even in summer.

That's just the weather. That's without the hordes of mealy-mouthed sleeveens that inhabit this barren wasteland...Enthusiastically gouging every last penny from the unsuspecting visitor for deep-fried pub grub,substandard accommodation and the right to park in some ghastly poxhole from the famine era.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement