Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The glorious 12th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,977 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    All I know about Sean Russell is he was an ira leader who lorded over 300 ira bombs in Britain during WW2 and who died on a u boat RETURNING to Ireland(which possibly indicates suspicions of u boats docking/refuelling in Ireland is true),if people choose to look up to him that`s their choice.

...and jan believes he was a traitor to Britain and a 'collaborator', does the above fit the meaning of those two words?. :D

which possibly indicates suspicions of u boats docking/refuelling in Ireland is true),if people choose to look up to him that`s their choice.

One of your own highly respected journalists on those rumours.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-german-u-boats-refuelled-in-ireland-surely-not-2356105.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

...and jan believes he was a traitor to Britain and a 'collaborator', dies the above fit the meaning of those two words?. :D

You have really gone downhill Francie. I never used the word traitor. He was of course a collaborator, because he was an IRA leader and he died at sea on a U boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

Lol-he died in 1965.

Ww2 ended in europe in 1944......pure waste of time discussing things if you cant grasp even basics,mate

janfebmar wrote: »
    You have really gone downhill Francie. I never used the word traitor.
    You implied it plenty, which is why I didn't use quote tags.
    He was of course a collaborator, because he was an IRA leader and he died at sea on a U boat.
    Collaborator: working with an enemy occupier against one's own country.

Please explain how he was a 'collaborator'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

_blaaz wrote: »
    Ww2 ended in europe in 1944......pure waste of time discussing things if you cant grasp even basics,mate

You need to check your dates....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's only really Ireland that has this view of Churchill,the US named a war ship in his honour which is an example of the esteem he is held by those countries who recognize his contribution to the defence of Europe alongside the allies.

The vast majority of Irish people have a very positive view of Churchill, and rightly so.

It is only the usual minority of fundamentalist republicans (with a small r) that hold negative views on him. They of course are blinded by their hatred of all things British.

You implied it plenty, which is why I didn't use quote tags.

Total rubbish Francie, you are really letting yourself down yet again. I neither said or implied he was a traitor. He was a collaborator yes, but that is very different. Why did you lie and claim I called him a traitor?

_blaaz wrote: »

Basics like when the war ended? :D

Beyond parody.

The vast majority of Irish people have a very positive view of Churchill, and rightly so.

It is only the usual minority of fundamentalist republicans (with a small r) that hold negative views on him. They of course are blinded by their hatred of all things British.

Please don't tell us you have a poll to show this 'vast majority'. You know what happened last time you did that. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Total rubbish Francie, you are really letting yourself down yet again. I neither said or implied he was a traitor. He was a collaborator yes, but that is very different. Why did you lie and claim I called him a traitor?

Well explain how he was a collaborator then....without implying he was a traitor. :):)
    collaborator = working with an enemy occupier against one's own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

So you dont believe the articles written about him? About the atrocites he committed? His racist and bigoted views? They are all made up?

So you dont believe the articles written about him? About the atrocites he committed? His racist and bigoted views? They are all made up?

He clearly has a 'positive' view of them. The man said it.

Please don't tell us you have a poll to show this 'vast majority'. You know what happened last time you did that. :pac::pac::pac:
    The problem with you Francie is because you move around in Republican circles, and you believe what you want to hear ( it would take a brave person sometimes to tell Republicans the truth, given what historically happens to people who Republicans do not agree with), you end up believing your own propaganda.

The problem with you Francie is because you move around in Republican circles, and you believe what you want to hear ( it would take a brave person sometimes to tell Republicans the truth, given what historically happens to people who Republicans do not agree with), you end up believing your own propaganda.

Fachugger argued for a long time on the other thread that the vast majority believed something. When he finally produced the poll that 'vast majority' turned out to be, wait for it.....37% :pac::pac::pac:

Fachugger argued for a long time on the other thread that the vast majority believed something. When he finally produced the poll that 'vast majority' turned out to be, wait for it.....37% :pac::pac::pac:

And what do you think of the 100,000 Irish people or so who helped Churchills war effort, versus a handful of IRA members at the time?

That reminds me, had any of the Republicans any luck on finding out the names of the IRA men who Dev killed in prison here during the war? That episode is not taught in your history books or st school so not surprising you do not know.

The old saying springs to mind Jan,"if you lie down with dogs ,you get up with fleas"..

And what do you think of the 100,000 Irish people or so who helped Churchills war effort, versus a handful of IRA members at the time?

100,000 is the 'vast majority' now? Wow, just wow.

It's a lit more people that fought for him rather than against him.

The old saying springs to mind Jan,"if you lie down with dogs ,you get up with fleas"..

Which one of the below suffers from believing propoganda:

1. Somebody who when reviewing a career takes into account everything that happened in that career?

2. Somebody who insists that a career was heroic and refuse point blank to recognise the many many evil things that were said and done in that 'career'?.

Take your pick.

No prize...just imaginary humble pie to eat Rob.

• Advertisement

It's a lit more people that fought for him rather than against him.

100,000 is the 'vast majority' of the Irish people.

Delusion of the night that one. And that is saying something.

Any luck on defining how Russell was a 'collaborator' jan?
    Collaborator = working with an enemy occupier against one's own country.

If those lads ever left the security of their echo chambers, they might never recover from the shock, at how far outside the norms of society their views fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

Jan i,m still waiting on an answer to my earlier question,what do you think of those articles about churchill?

100,000 is a vast amount of people francie-why would you trivialise those who fought against the nazis?Many making the ultimate sacrifice?-shameful.

Which one of the below suffers from believing propoganda:

1. Somebody who when reviewing a career takes into account everything that happened in that career?

2. Somebody who insists that a career was heroic and refuse point blank to recognise the many many evil things that were said and done in that 'career'?.

Take your pick.

No prize...just imaginary humble pie to eat Rob.

No politician (or person) is perfect. Churchill had some great help during the war, his right hand man was an Irishman, Brendan B.

If those lads ever left the security of their echo chambers, they might never recover from the shock, at how far outside the norms of society their views fall.

'Vast majority' Facehugger? You need to stop using that phrase. And you need to review character traits and actions that you think are 'positives'.

Just a bit of advice from here in the 'chamber'. ;)

100,000 is a vast amount of people francie-why would you trivialise those who fought against the nazis?Many making the ultimate sacrifice?-shameful.

It's a huge amount Rob...however it isn't a vast majority of people in county Dublin much less Ireland.
    And I never trivialised it. The way victims are once again being used here is the shameful thing. Many many of them went to their deaths and it wasn't because they were in awe of Churchill.

Any luck on defining how Russell was a 'collaborator' jan?

As I pointed out to you before Francie, the first dictionary definition of collaborator was something like;
    A person who works jointly on a project; an associate.

Do pay attention.

No politician (or person) is perfect. Churchill had some great help during the war, his right hand man was an Irishman, Brendan B.

I agree Jan and there are many other close connections between Britain and Ireland -two of Britain`s military leaders-The Duke of Wellington and Kitchener were Irish and was`nt pearse`s father English?

• Advertisement

Jan i,m still waiting on an answer to my earlier question,what do you think of those articles about churchill?

What articles? Articles written by the type of people who constantly whinge about British oppression? Churchill was not perfect but he had a vast amount of people of different nationalities from many, many countries around the world who served in his forces, and many of who paid the ultimate price in the defeat of the Axis powers. Respect.

Advertisement