Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

harr wrote: »
    Anyone find the road surface to be poor especially the left lane between the two Naas junctions (south bound) ...it seems very bumpy and uneven.
    Middle and right lane seen ok .

Probably because no one is using the left lane, if it gets more traffic it will even out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Probably because no one is using the left lane, if it gets more traffic it will even out
    :D might not be far wrong...I was only one on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Anyone find the road surface to be poor especially the left lane between the two Naas junctions (south bound) ...it seems very bumpy and uneven.

The road surface is definitively poor for this kid of project. I commented earlier on about the surface on the slip road from Naas North joining the N7 and they have fixed it since but I think the fact hat they've done small sections at a time means they didn't get consistency. I thought the first few miles that were surfaced were done well but then, the quaity deteriorated.We'll have to get used to it I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Probably because the left lane was always the trucking lane taking the heavy vehicles and simply got resurfaced whereas the third lane is new construction.

I don't feel much of a difference between lane one and two.

On the main finishing of the project itself, did work take place last night at the m7/m9 merge?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭SC024

Darc19 wrote: »
    Probably because the left lane was always the trucking lane taking the heavy vehicles and simply got resurfaced whereas the third lane is new construction.

I don't feel much of a difference between lane one and two.

On the main finishing of the project itself, did work take place last night at the m7/m9 merge?

Trucking Lane?

• Advertisement

SC024 wrote: »
    Trucking Lane?
    Sounds like someone who never drives in lane one! :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone who never drives in lane one! :rolleyes:

Yep, never slow enough for it :)
    But you get what I mean. Lane one gets majority of the heavy vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Yep, never slow enough for it :)
    But you get what I mean. Lane one gets majority of the heavy vehicles.

Slow are fast, this 'should' be the main driving lane. Sounds like somebody is a middle lane hogger :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

degsie wrote: »
    Slow are fast, this 'should' be the main driving lane. Sounds like somebody is a middle lane hogger :rolleyes:

Given that I regularly overtake cars doing significantly less than the posted 120 (when no reason not to do so), the "slow" lane is indeed slow.

Personally I only ever use lane 1 on the N7 or M50 late at night or if exiting.

But then I don't "hog" the lanes either and I certainly don't dawdle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Bards

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    degsie wrote: »

Given that I regularly overtake cars doing significantly less than the posted 120 (when no reason not to do so), the "slow" lane is indeed slow.

Personally I only ever use lane 1 on the N7 or M50 late at night or if exiting.

But then I don't "hog" the lanes either and I certainly don't dawdle.
    No such thing as a slow lane on a dual carriageway or motorway... Rules of the road say keep left except when overtaking..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Darc19 wrote:

I drove both directions this morning and there was no obvious works done from what I could see.

Cazale wrote: »
    I drove both directions this morning and there was no obvious works done from what I could see.

Imo, the biggest issue with this project is lack of updates.

In the UK a project is taking place on the A14 and their communications is superb. Siac/colas could do with mimicking their information system.

Whilst the A14 project is much bigger, the daily information feeds are great. They even answer genuine road queries, though there is a massive amount of complaints too which are just ignored

https://www.facebook.com/A14C2H/

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/a14-cambridge-to-huntingdon-improvement-scheme-about/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

though there is a massive amount of complaints too which are just ignored
    They have to consider the mental health of the people who handle the website interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

SC024 wrote: »
    Trucking Lane?

And there is one problem with driving on a m/way in Ireland. The number of people who treat the ileft most lane with ignorance is unbelievable.

And there is one problem with driving on a m/way in Ireland. The number of people who treat the ileft most lane with ignorance is unbelievable.

In a two lane motorway as the M7 was, lane one is the only lane permitted to be used by hgvs.

Hence in the context of the post where the query was in regard to the difference in road feel, the phrase "truck or hgv lane" was appropriate.

Maybe you are still smarting from me telling you the blatant obvious about the half finished roundabout would become a fully finished roundabout.? Looking at some of your posts you tend to target certain posters that don't agree with you.

From rsa

Do not use the outside lane if you are driving:
    • a goods vehicle with a maximum authorised mass (MAM) of more than 3,500
    kilogrammes such as a lorry or heavy goods vehicle;
    • a vehicle towing a trailer, horsebox or caravan.
    You may use it, however, in exceptional circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Work mate was at a health and safety course last week, a Project Manager from the N7 upgrade site was there. Said 3 Westbound were targeted to open by end of this week.

Take it as you will but looking at the progress being made I would say they are on track to meet this target.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Eastbound (inbound) this morning, between jn11 and jn10 you could see all the barriers being removed - so must be preparing to lay tarmac on lane 1 and hopefully finish it off/blend it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Pablod wrote: »
    Eastbound (inbound) this morning, between jn11 and jn10 you could see all the barriers being removed - so must be preparing to lay tarmac on lane 1 and hopefully finish it off/blend it all in.

So might it be possible that we'll see the speed limit back up to 120 once this is done, or are we stuck with only 80 for another while yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

So might it be possible that we'll see the speed limit back up to 120 once this is done, or are we stuck with only 80 for another while yet?

no, I think it will be 80 for another while yet, while all other work is on-going with jn10 & jn9a etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Doesn't really matter, the middle lane drivers will regulate the speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Coming off at J10 is shambolic in the evening rush hour. Today a coach heading for Ennis went right up to the split and held everything up trying to get back into the middle lane. Trucks and cars also only moving out at the last moment

These works cannot finish soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Coming off at J10 is shambolic in the evening rush hour. Today a coach heading for Ennis went right up to the split and held everything up trying to get back into the middle lane. Trucks and cars also only moving out at the last moment

If only the coach had spotted the 2 flashing VMS telling them the left lane was for junction 10 traffic only! Or the numerous other signs!

Seriously, blame the idiots using the road, not the contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Lane discipline is horrific on the new sections. So many just hard wired to use the middle lane for driving instead of pulling into the new third lane. Hopefully just due it being a new unfinished layout but particularly bad I thought

road_high wrote: »
    Lane discipline is horrific on the new sections. So many just hard wired to use the middle lane for driving instead of pulling into the new third lane. Hopefully just due it being a new unfinished layout but particularly bad I thought

At what point do you move from the innermost lane to the middle lane before junction 10. If you wait too long you'll be blocked in the innermost lane and need to squeeze into the middle lane. Best to avoid, even though it moves quicker than middle or outer lane.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    If only the coach had spotted the 2 flashing VMS telling them the left lane was for junction 10 traffic only! Or the numerous other signs!

Seriously, blame the idiots using the road, not the contractors.

That’s exactly what I am inferring, apologies if my message came across otherwise.

And in credit to the works, the end product looks good...so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

At what point do you move from the innermost lane to the middle lane before junction 10. If you wait too long you'll be blocked in the innermost lane and need to squeeze into the middle lane. Best to avoid, even though it moves quicker than middle or outer lane.

Normally the gaps in the white line get smaller to indicate the lane is heading in a different direction.

And speaking of middle lane drivers, I was with a guy recently driving in the middle lane, he told me that if he wasn't too sure where he was going he was only ever one lane away from being in the correct lane, so he always drove in the middle lane, the logic out there is hilarious.

hi5 wrote: »
    Normally the gaps in the white line get smaller to indicate the lane is heading in a different direction.

And what if the middle lane in choc full, you're relying on someone letting you in.

The leftmost lane is fine when it's not forcing you to exit if you stay in it. It'll be grand when the motorway is complete, but in the mean time it's not a lane I'd care for.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

hi5 wrote: »

And speaking of middle lane drivers, I was with a guy recently driving in the middle lane, he told me that if he wasn't too sure where he was going he was only ever one lane away from being in the correct lane, so he always drove in the middle lane, the logic out there is hilarious.

That logic is somewhat reasonable on a multi-lane road with standard junctions (where you might actually need to go right), but when all exits are on the left it makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I’m talking about the section inbound to Dublin after Naas south- 3 lanes all the way so no pinch point anymore.

Advertisement