Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M7 - Naas/Newbridge Bypass Upgrade [Junction 9a now open]

Options

Comments

Does anyone have any serious suggestions for why the end section near J11 is so wide inside the barriers anyway? Seems a bizarre waste of space.

If it is on a right hand bend, then it is for visibility as the concrete barrier will block the view for drivers in low slung vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Future widening? :-D

Maybe they plan to widen it all the way to the M8 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

benny79 wrote: »
    Anyone know why there is such a big gap between the 2 walled barriers in the centre between junction 11 & 10. Its nearly 2 lanes wide. Bit strange as its tarmacked so its not as if they are going to be planting trees.

Is it close to the m9 merge?

Isn't there some potential long-term plans for the m9 to be extended towards drogheda?

Leinster Outer orbital or something like that.

If so, then overpass Bridge will be needed and the space is probably for that.

Darc19 wrote: »

Isn't there some potential long-term plans for the m9 to be extended towards drogheda?

Oooh good point! Although it goes on for a decent distance its not just at the merge.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Darc19 wrote: »

Oooh good point! Although it goes on for a decent distance its not just at the merge.

The M7 from Jct 10 to a little way after Jct 11, from memory, was opened in 1993, and was built to the earlier, full motorway-standard D2M specs, with room for future 3-laning, much like the M4 Leixlip to Kilcock and the M1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The M7 from Jct 10 to a little way after Jct 11, from memory, was opened in 1993, and was built to the earlier, full motorway-standard D2M specs, with room for future 3-laning, much like the M4 Leixlip to Kilcock and the M1.

They probably should have just thrown in the west/southbound exit from M9 to M7 @ J11 while they were at it. Same applies to the M8 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Speed van setting up this morning Dublin bound just as it goes to 80km after junction 10. Be aware!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Cazale wrote: »
    Speed van setting up this morning Dublin bound just as it goes to 80km after junction 10. Be aware!

They just can't miss a revenue-gathering opportunity, can they? Now some people will stick to 60 all the way and cause ructions at morning and evening rush hour.

On the new ramp they've put in I assume?

_Kaiser_ wrote:
    On the new ramp they've put in I assume?

Yeah that's the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Emme wrote: »
    They just can't miss a revenue-gathering opportunity, can they? Now some people will stick to 60 all the way and cause ructions at morning and evening rush hour.

Boards should set up a system where every post about speed vans that mentions "revenue gathering" "money making" "racket" etc. gets an automatic reply stating that the speed vans actually cost more money than they take in fines, and make no profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Last Stop

Boards should set up a system where every post about speed vans that mentions "revenue gathering" "money making" "racket" etc. gets an automatic reply stating that the speed vans actually cost more money than they take in fines, and make no profit.

Also add in that if you don’t break the speed limit they don’t cost you a cent :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

Last Stop wrote: »
    Also add in that if you don’t break the speed limit they don’t cost you a cent :rolleyes:

Some people just like to give out.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

The operators must make a profit, otherwise they wouldn't provide the service!
    In which case we all pay for them, and speeders pay twice.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

MOD:

Can we return to the M7 upgrade rather than talking about the economics of the speed van operation please

Discussion of the speed limit changes ongoing with this project is obviously ok.

Crews working last night at half nine and again this morning at seven when I drove by. They were focusing on the third lanes between junction 10 and 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Crews working last night at half nine and again this morning at seven when I drove by. They were focusing on the third lanes between junction 10 and 11.

It took a while but finally we're seeing the urgency required. Fair play to SIAC for upping their game in recent months. I'd imagine they're was a few bollockings handed out and a few heads rolled.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

We're allowed discuss speed limits again? Cool!

My honest feeling is that It will revert to 100km as they'll use the excuse used with M50 that the lanes are smaller and are not suitable for 120km... I'd bet my house on it that's how it's going to end up

Nonsense. The M1 is 120kph. The issue with the M50 is frequent junctions and congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Did sallins get done as part of this project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Did sallins get done as part of this project

I have friends up in Sallins, and from what they tell me, it's nowhere near complete yet. I do think though there seems to be an emphasis on moving J10 down ( SB ) asap. I think with the bridge at KG and all this, is in conjunction with the Sallins by-pass.

I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

I have friends up in Sallins, and from what they tell me, it's nowhere near complete yet. I do think though there seems to be an emphasis on moving J10 down ( SB ) asap. I think with the bridge at KG and all this, is in conjunction with the Sallins by-pass.

I could be wrong though.

Sallins resident here, yes the Sallins bypass is considerably less advanced than the widening, not too fussed about it myself, obviously priority was on getting the motorway sorted, the bypass was almost more of a 'bonus' on the project.
    I could see them getting the 9a Junction finished and linked in to the Naas ring road side before the rest of the bypass is finished as a sop to Kerry Group, it probably wouldn't make traffic worse as the cars coming off to go through Sallins will be making a shorter journey on a less congested bit of the ring road than the Monread section, then taking the first exit on a roundabout instead of the third exit as is currently the standard for commuters.
    The motorway bridge section is much more complete than the rest, although most of the 'big work' (earthworks, bridge piling) has been substantially completed on the bypass also, I could see the remainder of it flying up quite quick once the widening is done, as it doesn't have too much traffic closure to deal with (Osberstown road is already closed for the works and wastewater work further up, the tie in beyond Sallins will be last minute stuff)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Great to see the new surface being put down past the site of these works on to PortLaoise:

Kildare County Council gives notice, in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act, 1993 that it will close:

The M7 eastbound (overnight closures) between Junction 12 and Junction 11 (M7 & M9 merge).

Friday/Saturday 12 to 13 July 2019 21.30 to 07.00 hrs
    Saturday/Sunday 13 to 14 July 2019 21.30 to 09.00 hrs
    Friday/Saturday 19 to 20 July 2019 21.30 to 07.00 hrs
    Saturday/Sunday 20 to 21 July 2019 21.30 to 09.00 hrs
    Friday/Saturday 26to 27 July 2019 21.30 to 07.00 hrs
    Saturday/Sunday 27 to 28 July 2019 21.30 to 07.00 hrs

These overnight closures are required to facilitate the resurfacing of the existing pavement. It is expected that the works will take only two nights but additional closures have been booked in case of unforeseen delays and or poor weather.

The M7 westbound (overnight closures) between Junction 11 (M7 & M9 diverge) and Junction 12

Dates of the closure: Hours of Closure:
    Saturday/Sunday 13 to 14 July 2019 21.00 to 09.00 hrs
    Sunday/Monday 14 to 15 July 2019 21.00 to 06.30 hrs
    Saturday/Sunday 20 to 21 July 2019 21.00 to 09.00 hrs
    Sunday/Monday 21 to 22 July 2019 21.00 to 06.30 hrs

The M7 westbound (overnight closures) between Junction 13 (Kildare) and Junction 16 (Portlaoise).
    - Includes the M7 Junction 14 westbound merge slip road (overnight closures)
    - Includes M7 Junction 15 westbound merge slip road (overnight closures)

Dates of the closure:
    Friday, 2 August - Wednesday, 28 August 2019
    Monday, 2 September - Monday, 30 September 2019

Hours of closure:
    Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 9.00 p.m. – 7.00 a.m.
    Fridays: 10.00 p.m. – 9.00 a.m.
    Saturdays: 8.00 p.m. – 9.00 a.m.
    Sundays: 8.00 p.m. – 7.00 a.m.

The M7 eastbound (overnight closures) between Junction 16 (Portlaoise) and Junction 13 (Kildare).
    - Includes M7 Junction 15 eastbound merge slip road (overnight closures)
    - Includes M7 Junction 14 eastbound merge slip road (overnight closures)

Dates of the closure: Monday, 8 July – Wednesday, 28 August 2019

Hours of closure:
    Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays: 8.00 p.m. – 6.00 a.m.
    Fridays and Saturdays: 9.00 p.m. – 8.00 a.m.
    Sundays: 10.00 p.m. – 6.00 a.m.

All these closures are required to facilitate the resurfacing of the pavement.

The M7 westbound (overnight closures) between Junction 13 (Kildare) and Junction 16 (Portlaoise).
    - Includes the M7 Junction 14 westbound merge slip road (overnight closures)
    - Includes M7 Junction 15 westbound merge slip road (overnight closures)

I was wondering why they'd conned off so much down to one lane - still not sure, but at least now it's official.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Some pics from today of Sallins bypass works.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭champchamp

When is the Sallins bypass due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭patrickc

now all we need is for people to use the 3 lanes correctly! the 4 times I've used it up and down it's all middle lane hoggers and outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

patrickc wrote: »
    now all we need is for people to use the 3 lanes correctly! the 4 times I've used it up and down it's all middle lane hoggers and outside lane.

Complaining about this behavior is a futile exercise, the issue isn’t just about the middle laners it’s the fact that when you try to actively keep to the left lane and you come across a car merging from the left drivers in the middle lane will do their utmost to not let you in thus you have to slow down to the merging cars/trucks speed.

I think the majority all drive in the middle lane consciously or sub-consciously for this reason.

Complaining about this behavior is a futile exercise, the issue isn’t just about the middle laners it’s the fact that when you try to actively keep to the left lane and you come across a car merging from the left drivers in the middle lane will do their utmost to not let you in thus you have to slow down to the merging cars/trucks speed.

I think the majority all drive in the middle lane consciously or sub-consciously for this reason.

There's also idiots dawdling into the driving lane from slip-roads at 20-40 km/h below the limit, people diving for exits at the last minute, and generally coasting along holding everyone up for no reason (pro top: if you're being overtaken by 40ft trucks you're driving too slowly!)

At peak busy times, I generally stick to lane 3 (same on the M50) because at least that way you only have 1 lane of muppetry to worry about - but I don't dawdle or hold others up either, don't lane weave, and move for the exit in plenty of time, indicating in advance too (something else that rarely happens!)

Personally I reckon that if this new lane contains the trucks and dawdlers, it'll have been worthwhile just for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Stan27

how successful will this project actually be ?

I always though the issue was too much traffic going the limerick way, where the motorways split.

• Advertisement

Stan27 wrote: »
    how successful will this project actually be ?

I always though the issue was too much traffic going the limerick way, where the motorways split.

It'll help with the evening rush - although I expect a lot of the issues will move a few km down the road to the M9 split alright (it's bad enough at the same junction on the other side in the mornings - accidents and idiocy aplenty)

Inbound it'll probably help the rush to the M50... although the N7 is frequently at a standstill/crawl from exit 7 anyway so maybe not such a big change after all?

We won't really know till September/October when it's (hopefully!) fully done and the schools/colleges are back.

Advertisement