Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yes at the moment conditions could be described as very mild, close and humid with a blustery wind

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

highdef wrote: »
    Just back from a short walk to the shops in Dublin 8. Was expecting hair dryer like heat, going by some of the reports here. It's quite windy/blustery, the wind is not exactly warm, mild is the most optimistic way I could describe it. It's mainly cloudy but is quite warm when the sun is out and you have hit shining on you but when cloudy and in the wind, it's barely t-shirt weather.

I'd imagine it'll warm up a fair bit in the coming hours though. Looking forward to getting out to sunbathe in my carefully designed back garden at lunchtime as it is extremely sheltered from almost all directions and also has a lot dark surfaces so it's soaks up heat like a sponge. I can already picture myself with sweat rolling off me.....bliss :D Have a lot of digging to do in the afternoon as I'm rebuilding a bit of pathway so I'll certainly work up a sweat.

I suppose this is why we turn to science for accurate measurement of weather conditions because that's just bonkers to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Blustery, humid and warm

Reminds me of caribbean weather only not as hot

Currently 22.3c, partly cloudy and RH of 72%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »
    I suppose this is why we turn to science for accurate measurement of weather conditions because that's just bonkers to me.

Completely agree with you there. Facts and figures are the way to go for accuracy rather than the subjectivity of individuals. Current temperatures (according to 11:00 reports) in Dublin are running between 20c and 23c. This is at or slightly above the average maximum for July. So whilst it will get warmer this afternoon, there's nothing particularly warm going on at this moment especially with the chilling effect of the wind taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Lots of passing cumulus and even some altocumulus lenticularis in Dublin. Not that warm to me personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I think what's confusing most people is,it's warmer outside than inside
    In Ireland its usually the other way round

Theres a thickness in the air too,laden with humidity
    Hit both outside after being in and you think its clammy/hot depending on your personal preference

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its not often 23 degrees in Phoenix Park at 11am!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

highdef wrote: »
    And I guess that my part mainland Europe blood helps me with regards to liking it when it gets as hot as it ever gets in Ireland. Mainly Irish but a bit of warmer climes in me probably has me genetically more tolerant of higher than normal levels of heat in Ireland.

You must be one of them feckin' Greeks.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Carol25

Home from holidays and find this weather quite a pleasant adjustment from the heat. Easy to go about and do jobs without it being oppressive. Can still wear summery clothes. Now all we need is the sun to burn off the clouds and make an appearance...🙂. Yesterday however was just monsoon like conditions in Galway, and windy also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Its not often 23 degrees in Phoenix Park at 11am!

Dublin AP reporting 23c at 1130.

23.4c atm in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I think what's confusing most people is,it's warmer outside than inside
    In Ireland its usually the other way round

Theres a thickness in the air too,laden with humidity
    Hit both outside after being in and you think its clammy/hot depending on your personal preference

That's a great way of explaining it :)

So the air conditioning is on in the office. And what do my colleagues go and do.....they open the windows. They're literally letting the warmer air from outside into the office, causing the AC to struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Finally we have a warm day in Dublin. If the sun comes out 26C/27C is possible in some spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Was p**sing down in the SE last night, sick of the grey skies at this stage.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Dublin AP reporting 23c at 1130.

23.4c atm in Dublin 16.

Baltic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today Meath and Dublin should finally beat 23C for the first time this summer. Currently 22C at home in Meath.

Gonzo wrote: »
    today Meath and Dublin should finally beat 23C for the first time this summer. Currently 22C at home in Meath.

I'm sure my location not far from Baldonnell has beaten 23c at least half a dozen times

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If we trace back the origins of this air mass that is currently over Ireland, we can see that it came all the way from the central N. American continent, which in turn probably had incorporated a lot of moist, warm air from the remnants of Hurricane Barry.

(large gif file so may take a while to load)

zRe778m.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

compsys wrote: »
    June was officially the warmest month ever globally.

The highest temps EVER have been recorded in Alaska and France where over 45 degrees was reached.

Berlin has been sweltering. The highest June temp ever was recorded in Germany.

Records were broken in Switzerland.

I could go on and on.

Even in places where records weren't broken, temps have generally been above average for June and July.

Ireland is a huge outlier here. EVERY station in the country was cooler than average in June here. July will be about average at best I'd say.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/19/us/june-2019-hottest-on-record/index.html
    https://lenews.ch/2019/06/26/heat-records-broken-at-nearly-30-locations-in-switzerland/
    https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/04/us/alaska-record-heat-trnd-wxc/index.html
    https://www.businessinsider.com/europe-heatwave-france-germany-spain-dangerous-temperature-2019-6?r=US&IR=T
    https://thepublicsradio.org/article/germany-hits-record-june-heat-rest-of-europe-sizzles

Ok I get your point but all those records were broken after June 21st,in fact June 26th seems to be a common date for scorching temperatures in many parts of continental Europe. And of course I'm not disagreeing with the hard evidence that the continent heated up significantly the last week in June and into the first week in July.

But my original point was that the first three weeks of June had average and in some places below average temps all over Europe. Ok records were smashed making it globally the hottest month on record but only for one week of the month. Don't know anything about places outside Europe so happy to accept what you say.

And yes Ireland is an outlier, it pretty much always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »

I'm pretty sure Casement got 24.8c back in late June or early July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Stunning day in Dublin city

• Advertisement

Was 23 degrees at Phoenix park at 12pm. Presumably that could push up towards 27 by later in the afternoon

Danno wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Casement got 24.8c back in late June or early July?

Yeah I think Dublin hit about 25 degrees in June

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dark and overcast in Castlebar, humidity has crept over 90% and it is just shy of 20C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Why does MT’s forecast mention showers coming in from the west tomorrow night and no mention of the risk of thunder?
    Whilst Met Éireann have showers coming from the southeast with a risk of thunder

If I was in the southeast,it would take a long time for showers from there to get to me from the west
    If I was in the west it would take a long time for showers from the south east to get to me if at all

One of them is stone wrong

I've found MTs and ME forecasts to be completely contradictory a few times this Summer .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

compsys wrote: »
    ...The highest temps EVER have been recorded in Alaska and France where over 45 degrees was reached...

This is totally incorrect. France has recorded 118F (47.7c) in the past.

2019-06-29153852-346x1024.png

24.8 now with 70% humidity. Warm breeze, clouds starting to clear. Wouldn't be surprised if it got to 27c at my location by about 4pm

Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Second highest temperature in the 7 years I've recorded here at 27.7C. Highest was 29.1 last year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Second highest temperature in the 7 years I've recorded here at 27.7C. Highest was 29.1 last year.

Where?

lawred2 wrote: »
    Where?

Look under his post

• Advertisement

Look under his post

Nowt on a mobile device

Advertisement