Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car drives through crowd in Dundalk Graveyard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'd pay a lot more tax from my hard earned if it went to a special unit of CAB focused on these thugs. And before anybody starts with the "its only a minority" BS it is in its hole.

30% of them end up in prison at some stage of their lives

The rest haven’t been caught

banie01 wrote: »
    Because calling out the behaviour of the majority of travelers for the reprehensible, tribal scumbaggery it is becomes discrimanatory, rather than factual.

It's actually explained in the post you selectively quoted if you'd care to go back and read it.

If you have a question regarding the totality of what I wrote, I'd be happy to address it.

Giving them ethnic status makes absolutely no difference to anything.
    They are still subject to the laws of the land, as is everyone that lives here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Quite A normall occurrence for that cohort at a funeral.

There were 10000+ people in the graveyard and it wasn’t a funeral. You might at least read the story before you comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think we are far too tolerant. Really afraid to say anything lest it offends anyone.

They rely on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,296 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will they next require seperate graveyards for each family to be buried in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's almost like the camera phone holder was expecting the car, or something, to kick off.

Like who ever videos stuff in a graveyard?

Yet again, annoyingly, in portrait...
    Blessing of the graves is no different to anything else. Cameras are everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

And adjoining graves for their horses....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

bubblypop wrote: »
    Giving them ethnic status makes absolutely no difference to anything.
    They are still subject to the laws of the land, as is everyone that lives here.

Given ethnic status to a group grants additional protection in law from discrimination.
    It also gives credence to efforts by Pavee Point and others to campaign for their efforts to legitimise the traveller community's continued effort to resist "integration".

Do you see the problem with that?
    It allows a group of people for whom criminality is unfortunately more the norm than not, to exclude themselves from society and be granted dispensation for it.

This is a practice that is continuing, where Irish people are excluding themselves from society, in efforts supported by government funded bodies!

All whilst the Government is clamouring for greater integration of our immigrant and religious communities.

That "Traveller" is recognised in Irish law as a legitimate grounds for discrimination has afforded the efforts of Pavee Point a win.
    A win that is baseless, there is no ethnicity involved other than parochialism.
    There is no culture other than backwards, that we afford their "culture" specific protection in addition to that afforded to colour, creed, race, marital status, sexuality, gender, age or family status is an absurdity!

There is no other "ethnicity" that warrants a specific protection, and any discrimination levied against a person can quite legitimately be dealt with by resort to the other grounds.

That Pavee Point and co managed to have that status enshrined in law, has cost many a business a significant sum and all too easily affords an easy veneer of immediate recourse to racism when any traveller is challenged on their behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Out in the Irish Sea .

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Yes, executing 1% of the most violent criminals over thousands of years increased the IQ and reduced overall criminality in Europe.

Edit - Oops, wrong thread, don't know how that happened. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think we are far too tolerant. Really afraid to say anything lest it offends anyone.

They rely on that.

Well the newspapers and RTÉ will never say that those responsible for crime are members of our ethnic community. They’re a protected species.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Why?
    What difference does it make?

I think you are deluded WRT to this ethnic status

That very Status allows sulky racing on main roads. The poor animals are not looked after and are a danger to motorists too

And that is but one example of their contempt for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Don't be daft, they'll get a suspended sentence, that'll teach them!!!

They should get a suspended sentence for putting lives at risk . From the nearest feckin tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Travellers are having a growing negative impact on so many towns and villages all over Ireland it’s going to be bigger than any other issue in coming elections .... are Fine Gael going to continue their head in the sand attitude to travellers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

According to GOD this is an attack on Christians , jesus she's some tool.

pinkyeye wrote: »

But sure aren't the Christians being attacked by "Super" Christians tho?
    Surely it's a 1st blow by the right wing theocracy she wants, getting rid of the vanilla Christians?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

pinkyeye wrote: »

And best ignored I find.

Given ethnic status to a group grants additional protection in law from discrimination.

I think you will find that it was against the law to discriminate against travellers long before they had ethnic status. It was already the law. Giving them ethnic status made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
    You cannot discriminate against them because they are travellers, they are however subject to the same laws and everybody else in the country

I think you are deluded WRT to this ethnic status

That very Status allows sulky racing on main roads. The poor animals are not looked after and are a danger to motorists too

And that is but one example of their contempt for society.

No it doesn't
    They are still subject to the laws of the land & rules of the road the same as everybody else

I think you will find that it was against the law to discriminate against travellers long before they had ethnic status. It was already the law. Giving them ethnic status made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
    You cannot discriminate against them because they are travellers, they are however subject to the same laws and everybody else in the country

I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse?
    Or just have a bee in your about anyone impugning the ethnic status and additional latitude afforded Travellers?

But it seems that you quite deliberately miss the points raised.

If as on your words
    Giving them ethnic status made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Surely you'd have no objection to deletion of the Travellers status from the relevant acts? And relying on the other 8 grounds to ensure protection of people's status and rights?
    As according to your logic it's pointless anyway?
    So in that case why do you think Pavee Point and their apologists lobbied so hard to have it included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Just warning now - I know it's an emotive topic, but calling them pikeys, knackers etc. will not be tolerated. Neither will advocating violence against those involved.

washman3 wrote: »
    And adjoining graves for their horses....:rolleyes:

And houses nearby for their childer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They'll go to court, plead guilty at the earliest opportunity, get sentencing put back for a probation report, then the shower on the other side will most likely have some charges for something and they'll do the same. When the probation report is ready they'll have started doing mediation with the other side and their defence will ask for them to be left out to complete the mediation suggesting that the feud might be at an end. Forward on two years and none of them will have come to the attention of the Gardai since the mediation started and they'll get suspended sentences.

I don't know if you are being deliberately obtuse?
    Or just have a bee in your about anyone impugning the ethnic status and additional latitude afforded Travellers?

But it seems that you quite deliberately miss the points raised.

If as on your words

Surely you'd have no objection to deletion of the Travellers status from the relevant acts? And relying on the other 8 grounds to ensure protection of people's status and rights?
    As according to your logic it's pointless anyway?
    So in that case why do you think Pavee Point and their apologists lobbied so hard to have it included?

I have no idea why they lobbied
    But it makes no difference to travellers that they now have ethnic status, it was already illegal to discriminate against them. There is no need to delete them from that law.
    What exactly do you see as the difference now that they have ethnic status?

I have no idea why they lobbied
    But it makes no difference to travellers that they now have ethnic status, it was already illegal to discriminate against them. There is no need to delete them from that law.

I've laid out over the course of multiple post and replies to you the issues I have with specific ethnic protection for travellers.
    You have replied consistently with waffle and deflected from questions.

From them not needing the law, you are now saying there is no point in deleting the ethnicity clause.
    Which is it?

Tell you what how about rather than waffle on between ourselves.
    You outline what your own stance is?

I've laid out over the course of multiple post and replies to you the issues I have with specific ethnic protection for travellers.
    You have replied consistently with waffle and deflected from questions.

From them not needing the law, you are now saying there is no point in deleting the ethnicity clause.
    Which is it?

Tell you what how about rather than waffle on between ourselves.
    You outline what your own stance is?

My stance is that they are citizens of this country, the laws of the land apply to them the same as everyone else.
    You are not allowed to discriminate against them, for many years, well before they had ethnic status.
    So, yea, same as the rest obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

This.

racecard.jpg

This.

racecard.jpg

And does this actually make any difference whatsoever??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

And does this actually make any difference whatsoever??

It makes all the difference.

• Advertisement

It makes all the difference.

You're wasting your time replying to a poster who justs seems to be deliberately contrarian without offering any support for their stance other than "because".

I'm off to watch some football and hopefully someone else can show them why being granted an extra layer of cultural identity and protection denied all other Irish citizens may present an issue with particular regard to the rising tendency to identity politics and Traveller tribalism.

Advertisement