Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car drives through crowd in Dundalk Graveyard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I was close to the incident with my wife and children at their nanny's grave and saw most of it. To say it was shocking would be an understatement. He hit the people then spun off wildly only to return 30s later and do a lap of the graveyard in such reckless fashion as fast as the car could go with no consideration to the people having to run out of his way. Engine screaming and people screaming, it was an awful experience that will stay with me for a long time. All of the kids in close proximity, of which there were many, were absolutely terrified.

I hope he is sent down, with all his previous convictions, for a long time but I've little faith that he will.
    Even as you type his legal aid solicitor is interviewing him and writing a list of reasons why he is not to blame for what happened yesterday, the reasons it would be unfair and unhelpful to send him to prison, how very sorry he is that it happened, and how if he’s just given bail he’ll get help to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.
    The Gardai will object but the judge will decide that the poor man needs someone to cut him a little slack.
    And off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well the newspapers and RTÉ will never say that those responsible for crime are members of our ethnic community. They’re a protected species.

Doesn't matter most of us know that what the MSM say is lies and bull**** anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

alastair wrote: »
    There’s delusion at play here alright. Ethnic status has absolutely nothing to do with a sulky racing on roads. Pavee Point is on record as opposing sulky racing on roads as dangerous to motorists, horses and participants. Their position is that it should be on properly legislated tracks as in other countries. You seem pretty contemptuous of facts.

Travellers often ignore what PP has to say. They won't stop racing because PP, settled people or the law doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Travellers often ignore what PP has to say. They won't stop racing because PP, settled people or the law doesn't like it.

None of which suggests that ethnic minority status means they’re allowed race on the roads - the claim being made. They’re not, and the body leading the campaign for recognizing ethnicity status is plainly opposed to racing on the roads. Individual Travelers aren't exactly unique in ignoring rules and laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭circadian

See previous mod warning

dudara

• Advertisement

None of which suggests that ethnic minority status means they’re allowed race on the roads - the claim being made. They’re not, and the body leading the campaign for recognizing ethnicity status is plainly opposed to racing on the roads. Individual Travelers aren't exactly unique in ignoring rules and laws.

The status means nothing, just a lollipop given out by the govt to keep them quiet for a bit. Another easy win to make us appear all modern and inclusive. Photo shoots, pats on back etc.
    Nothing changes though, they continue to do what they've always done.

The status means nothing, just a lollipop given out by the govt to keep them quiet for a bit. Another easy win to make us appear all modern and inclusive. Photo shoots, pats on back etc.
    Nothing changes though, they continue to do what they've always done.

It was a long hard campaign to get ethnic status recognized. It might mean little you you, but clearly that’s not the case for the Travelling community. I’m not sure what you expected to change in the community on the back of recognition of their ethnic status? Seems like a particularly inane straw man argument.

It was a long hard campaign to get ethnic status recognized. It might mean little you you, but clearly that’s not the case for the Travelling community. I’m not sure what you expected to change in the community on the back of recognition of their ethnic status? Seems like a particularly inane straw man argument.

What does it change, tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If they want to kill each other with their idiotic feuds then let them, but let them meet in a field and kill each other there, not at a graveyard!

Section off a graveyard, dig a big hole, and let them roll each other into it.

What does it change, tell me?

It frames discrimination against the Travellers as a matter of ethnicity, and it protects Travellers against the return of historic policies of cultural assimilation. It was never mooted as having anything to do with tackling Traveller criminality - as you implied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Travellers are having a growing negative impact on so many towns and villages all over Ireland it’s going to be bigger than any other issue in coming elections .... are Fine Gael going to continue their head in the sand attitude to travellers??

That it seems is the FG way and Irish politics in general

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have said this before on a similar thread that I have known great kindness from many travellers. Only one negative experience in nearly 20 years and many positive, time and again. Practical kindnesses.

I like a lot of your posts, but this one is not reflective of what many people experience from that group of society, namely threats, hostility, violence.
    I would have no dealings with them in any way anymore, in my experience of being civil to some of them, thats not good enough, better to ignore them, not invite them to your door and decline them with the minimum of fuss. Based on that video, thats what I expect from them, no surprises really. I am not biased, I expect the same for anyone who behaves like that, settled or not to be dealt a serious punishment, locked away without release and if need be if they repeat offend, and I mean multiple repeat offnces, but even only one if its violent or serious to be locked away from society permanantly, it would cost, but thats a price I consider reasonable if it takes the out of society when they have nothing to contribute, see how they feel in 20 years time, if that doesnt deter the next generation, then repeat.

Surely a graveyard wouldn't be a great place to try knocking people down as the headstones would act like concrete bollards.

Driving at speed anywhere is dangerous, all you need to do is hit one person or a group, pin them against a headstone, if that vehicle stopped you'd think that people would be brave enough and decent enough to sort it out on the spot.

They might not be unique in ignoring laws, but how many times do you hear about them and its extreme, I even heard of a few recently in Longford, stabbings and supposedly a shooting, which I did not hear mentioned in national media, that behaviour is indefensible, just beacuse other people disregard laws does nto mean they should be allowed get away with the kind of extreme disregard they display.

It frames discrimination against the Travellers as a matter of ethnicity, and it protects Travellers against the return of historic policies of cultural assimilation. It was never mooted as having anything to do with tackling Traveller criminality - as you implied.

Assimilation would be better for them and for everyone.
    A degraded 'culture' that should have been killed with kindness years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Any updates on this incident?

Was it absolutely intentional to hit people or was that just the outcome of an idiot driving carelessly??

Presuming by the general conversation people are sure it was a member of the traveler community ??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

1874 wrote: »
    That it seems is the FG way and Irish politics in general

I like a lot of your posts, but this one is not reflective of what many people experience from that group of society,

I think that is what Shakespeare calls, " damn with faint praise."!

I am not aiming to reflect the experiences of others, but attest to my own. which have been almost totally positive, kinder than those of non travellers. They are not all the same

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

_Brian wrote: »

Was it absolutely intentional to hit people or was that just the outcome of an idiot driving carelessly??

Presuming by the general conversation people are sure it was a member of the traveler community ??
    Well he was travelling at some speed .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Cmon Brian. The car is reportedly stolen.

There is a history of incidents at this graveyard.

Infact generally there is a history of incidents at churches and graveyards involving one group of people, beit weddings or funerals.

A general disrespect for human life.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Graces7 wrote: »
    I think that is what Shakespeare calls, " damn with faint praise."!

I am not aiming to reflect the experiences of others, but attest to my own. which have been almost totally positive, kinder than those of non travellers. They are not all the same

In my experience Travellers love quoting and reciting Shakespeare so this is fairly on the nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Omackeral wrote: »
    In my experience Travellers love quoting and reciting Shakespeare so this is fairly on the nose.

Indeed. I have heard one quote Shakespeare as be booted his dog out the door of his caravan “ out damned Spot”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

They said his name on today FM but the office here is noisy. Pretty sure I heard "McDonagh".

Indeed. I have heard one quote Shakespeare as be booted his dog out the door of his caravan “ out damned Spot”.

Art thou partial to dags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

antix80 wrote: »
    They said his name on today FM but the office here is noisy. Pretty sure I heard "McDonagh".

"James McDonagh, 28, with an address at Glenmore Park, Muirhevnamore, Dundalk, faces a charge of the unlawful use of a car and one of dangerous driving."

https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2019/0723/1064722-james-mcdonagh-court/

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "James McDonagh, 28, with an address at Glenmore Park, Muirhevnamore, Dundalk, faces a charge of the unlawful use of a car and one of dangerous driving."

Yes he’s a Traveler.

Art thou partial to dags?

Or “is this a dag (ger) I see before me”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Yes he’s a Traveler.

There was never any doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

KrustyUCC wrote: »

That is it? dangerous driving? The same charge you would get for doing over 160kph on a motorway? GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'd say unlawful use of a car might be more serious charge?

mloc123 wrote: »
    That is it? dangerous driving? The same charge you would get for doing over 160kph on a motorway? GTFO

There will probably be more serious charges brought as the elderly man has been transferred to a Dublin hospital. I’d say they’re waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Yes he’s a Traveler.

Knew that from the pic of him getting arrested while topless in the papers the next day. There was no mention of it but you know, we know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Knew that from the pic of him getting arrested while topless in the papers the next day. There was no mention of it but you know, we know.
    Did the Guards not take the top of him to make sure he did not have a suicide vest on ? He was behaving like a terrorist . Terrorising People .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Do you see the issue with protection of a subsection of the Irish population against "cultural assimilation" when that very thing is being more and more stridently demanded of immigrants to our country?

It really is developing into a strange case of separate but equal.

There is no protection afforded by the inclusion of "ethnic" status in equal rights legislation that is not already adequately covered under any of the other 8 grounds.
    It has instead allowed questioning of traveller status, motives and actions to be labelled as racism.
    The traveller support groups have developed in a very similar way to homeless support groups and have become quite an industry with the attendant growth of vested interests.

It is ridiculous to pursue a policy of integration and community placement for immigrants and refugees, all whilst allowing and enabling a cohort of Irish people to quite deliberately place themselves outside the norms of society.

Advertisement