Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car drives through crowd in Dundalk Graveyard

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

mloc123 wrote: »
    That is it? dangerous driving? The same charge you would get for doing over 160kph on a motorway? GTFO

??? A few penalty points and/or a driving ban? Which would mean absolutely nothing as these sort of laws and penalties are just simply ignored by people like this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/man-charged-with-dangerous-driving-over-incident-at-the-blessing-of-the-graves/
    A 28-year-old man has appeared in court in Drogheda this morning in relation to the incident at the Blessing of the Graves ceremony at St Patrick’s Cemetery in Dundalk on Sunday.

James McDonagh, with an address at Glenmore Park, Muirhevnamor, Dundalk, Co Louth, was charged with dangerous driving and the unlawful use of a vehicle without consent of its owner at the graveyard on July 21st.

He was remanded in custody to appear before Cloverhill District Court next Tuesday.

An elderly man remains in a serious condition in hospital in Dublin after being struck by a vehicle which sped through the crowd at the annual patrun. A number of other people received minor injuries while several cars were damaged in the terrifying incident.

Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Odelay

How the hell did ye know it was going to be a traveler that did it????

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Odelay wrote: »

its a violent crime in dundalk that required a massive lack of education.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Graveyard, funeral, wedding. Any trouble at any of those is usually about Travelers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

McDonagh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If it's a crime and the surname is McDonagh/Ward/Cash/Joyce/ Connors/Hand then it's more than likely Travellers. That's in my experience anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

They cause trouble at that mass every year apparently. Its usually reported the next day. Gardaí had a helicopter at it one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They cause trouble at that mass every year apparently. Its usually reported the next day. Gardaí had a helicopter at it one year.

imagine having a group of people around that are so violent and hell bent on criminality youre not even being able to have a ceremony in a graveyard to pay respect for the dead without a garda helicopter or people ending up in hospital,

and then imagine that there are people who defend that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's not ISIS..it's Joyces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

the unlawful use of a vehicle

Hadn't heard that one before, seems like its probably what the brits call a "TWOC" or Taking without consent.

Poor lad just wanted to show dead Aunty Mary his new motor he just nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭bigroad

Is there no dangerous driving causing serious harm charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

blinding wrote: »
    Did the Guards not take the top of him to make sure he did not have a suicide vest on ? He was behaving like a terrorist . Terrorising People .

Na it's believed he removed it while shouting
    "I'll fight any man"

It's kinda like shouting "Allahu akbar" except with less explosive connotations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

"I'll fight any man"

It's kinda like shouting "Allahu akbar" except with less explosive connotations.
    Thats Traveller for “ Allah Akbar “

They are Mad Ted !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Omackeral wrote: »
    If it's a crime and the surname is McDonagh/Ward/Cash/Joyce/ Connors/Hand then it's more than likely Travellers. That's in my experience anyway.
    Sweeney and McGinley up this way. Google those names and Sligo. No need to add ,"Court" to the search. Google does the rest.

"I'll fight any man"

“ Shyte in a bucket “ is much scarier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

bigroad wrote: »
    Is there no dangerous driving causing serious harm charge.

Endangerment.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/13/enacted/en/html#sec13

Gardai cant charge with that immediately, they need permission from the DPP after submitting a file.

The dangerous driving is a holding charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Probably waiting to see how the victim fares out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

sligojoek wrote: »
    Probably waiting to see how the victim fares out as well.

Jesus the poor man

Still can't find anything on how that poor old man is getting on. Hopefully no news is good news.

• Advertisement

He's very ill after-going surgery in the care of the Beaumont. Don't want to say much on a public forum but will post any worthwhile update as they arise or as I hear them.

May he get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

He's very ill after-going surgery in the care of the Beaumont. Don't want to say much on a public forum but will post any worthwhile update as they arise or as I hear them.

May he get well soon.

Jesus it’s disgraceful that people can’t congregate at such a peaceful respectful ceremony and not be safe from a knuckle dragging ape who was probably off his head on something or other.
    The Gardai dropped the ball on this. If there was trouble other years then they needed to have had a presence there on Sunday.
    This has terrified my elderly mother.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Jesus it’s disgraceful that people can’t congregate at such a peaceful respectful ceremony and not be safe from a knuckle dragging ape who was probably off his head on something or other.
    The Gardai dropped the ball on this. If there was trouble other years then they needed to have had a presence there on Sunday.

They did have a presence in the past so I'm unsure as to why they didn't this year. Surely they didn't think "ah, it'll be grand".

Would be less costly to us all if they just took the ringleaders out of commission for the day.

I still can't believe I'm talking about an open air mass in a cemetery in these terms.

splinter65 wrote: »

There were Garda about but this lad took someone’s car from inside the cemetery and their 9 year old child had to jump from it and luckily wasn’t injured. There’s not much the Garda could have done about that in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

There were Garda about but this lad took someone’s car from inside the cemetery and their 9 year old child had to jump from it and luckily wasn’t injured. There’s not much the Garda could have done about that in fairness.

I suppose.

May he get well soon.

There's more detail public now. He had a bleed on the brain which was operated on:

https://www.talkofthetown.ie/man-struck-by-speeding-car-at-blessing-of-the-graves-recovering-following-brain-surgery/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Has anyone heard of a motive? Or was it just his idea of fun?

368100 wrote: »

Probably something something culture or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

368100 wrote: »

Some of their usual fued nonsense I'd imagine.

You know, the kind of stuff that civilization moved on from centuries ago.

• Advertisement

Probably something something culture or something.

Caught a whiff of unprotected copper pipe.

Advertisement