Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Very disappointed with Marvel this outing, they were doing so well avoiding all the woke culture trappings that Hollywood have being pursuing since 2016 but alas it was just a matter of time before that ideology started to affect the movies, the comics have been a lost cause for a hell of a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Very disappointed with Marvel this outing, they were doing so well avoiding all the woke culture trappings that Hollywood have being pursuing since 2016 but alas it was just a matter of time before that ideology started to affect the movies, the comics have been a lost cause for a hell of a long time.

I did read Thors outting as a female Thor, rather enjoyed it and given the fact Taika is directing it and a fan of the comics, I would say it sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,888 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It was pointed out elsewhere and I know he's a big name to get, but getting Ali to play Blade is basically saying to ignore that he was in Luke Cage, even though Luke Cage is supposedly part of the MCU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭megaten

Hawkeye tv show could be good since the run it seems to be based on is excellent. Feels like there’s a big gap personality and situation wise between where hawkeye is currently and that starting point of that run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

In saying what I said I do look forward to seeing what Ali brings to the table as the new blade but hope it will be aimed at an older audience.

• Advertisement

Just can't see him saying
    "Some mother*cker's always trying to ice skate uphill" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know there was a whole thing with James Gunn but I'm surprised GotG3 isn't in these plans yet.
    So giving a break until May.

Gunn said it wasn’t announced because he is still doing Suicide Squad first so it will be at 4 years before we see it probably closer to 5 years 2022 or 2023 release is my guess for GotG 3.

I’m guessing Disney don’t want to draw any eyes on the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

It was pointed out elsewhere and I know he's a big name to get, but getting Ali to play Blade is basically saying to ignore that he was in Luke Cage, even though Luke Cage is supposedly part of the MCU

That whole shared universe between Netflix and MCU I wouldn't put much thought into it it was a good idea at first but it was nothing more than marketing slogan, truth is there is no connection really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I do wonder how they're going to handle vampires and mutants.

I really don't see it working to have Professor X and co having been living secretly as mutants since whenever. Despite at least half of them being garbage, I did quite like the X-Men Universe. It felt self-contained. It'll be interesting to see how they handle stuffing it into the MCU.

It seemed like they might manage it with inhumans, but as far as I know they've detached Agents of SHIELD from the MCU, and the Inhumans fiasco itself is the darkest chapter in Marvel's film history - **** knows how that car crash came to be.

Some sort of radiation from the snap seems like the best bet, or some other external force that only created them recently. I don't think there's any naturally occurring superheroes in the MCU. They're mostly tech or failed lab experiements. I guess Black Panther has that magical bush but that's tied to a big mountain of magical space metal that only exists in Wakanda. Having a bunch of them sprout out of the ground all of a sudden will be stupid.

And vampires will be even worse. Making them basically a type of mutant that go out of control might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone and set up some interesting crossovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Think it is great that they didn't jump straight into sequels for most of their big names, Black Panther, Capt Marvel, GotG, and Spiderman, and are going mostly with some of their lesser known properities. It is a calculated risk but if done right should allow them to try some new things and give the audience a bit of a break, while building up anticipation for the return of the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Gbear wrote: »
    I do wonder how they're going to handle vampires and mutants.

I really don't see it working to have Professor X and co having been living secretly as mutants since whenever. Despite at least half of them being garbage, I did quite like the X-Men Universe. It felt self-contained. It'll be interesting to see how they handle stuffing it into the MCU.

It seemed like they might manage it with inhumans, but as far as I know they've detached Agents of SHIELD from the MCU, and the Inhumans fiasco itself is the darkest chapter in Marvel's film history - **** knows how that car crash came to be.

Some sort of radiation from the snap seems like the best bet, or some other external force that only created them recently. I don't think there's any naturally occurring superheroes in the MCU. They're mostly tech or failed lab experiements. I guess Black Panther has that magical bush but that's tied to a big mountain of magical space metal that only exists in Wakanda. Having a bunch of them sprout out of the ground all of a sudden will be stupid.

And vampires will be even worse. Making them basically a type of mutant that go out of control might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone and set up some interesting crossovers.

A multiverse would cover their existence. Introduce disaster that results in overlap?

Yeah, Dr Strange having Multiverse in the title could be a thing. Be a few years anyway. And notice Kevin Feige said mutants and not specifically X-Men. I know there are more mutants than the X-Men but still

Yeah, Dr Strange having Multiverse in the title could be a thing. Be a few years anyway. And notice Kevin Feige said mutants and not specifically X-Men. I know there are more mutants than the X-Men but still

He said in an interview afterwards that they're useing x-men and mutants interchangably and that they'll attack x-men in a different way than we've seen so far. I'm standing by my thinking that mutants will start to appear in the sequels that haven't been set a date yet and it will build towards an x-men movie. I just don't see them having either a) a seperate multiverse with mutants or b) some multiverse crossing event that suddently means the MCU we know is full of mutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They could use those who returned from the Blip as Mutants.

Some of those who returned from the Blip start to develop Mutant powers would be how I would do it.

Some of those who returned from the Blip start to develop Mutant powers would be how I would do it.

Yeah, I could see that being a route or the general power of the inifinity stones being used on earth twice in a relatively short perod has side effects on the population in creating more mutants than there were historically, like they used nuclear weapons use previously. They've somewhat teed it up by highlighting in Endgame the energy burst that the infinity stones caused.

It would allow them to have older mutants like Prof X or Magneto but then a lot of young mutants who are newly dealing with their powers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Strange movie could introduce Magik. Then use her as a backdoor to bring in the New Mutants.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Heard it here first. That's a great idea and most importantly a simple to get-across idea!

Can we blame Professor Hulk? Is he gonna be Mutant Zero? or just his wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pjohnson wrote: »
    Strange movie could introduce Magik. Then use her as a backdoor to bring in the New Mutants.

Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

They're hardly doing a sneak entry using the Fox film all along? I thought that was going Direct to Netflix or streaming or something..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Mutants_(film)

April 2020 seems awful convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

It's either going to be really good and they use the new Thor as a plot point and addition or it's going to be fairly bad

I think for the generation 1 of the MCU we had our ending anything after that is a film by film basis and if they make a bad film filled with telling one part of the audience they are bad then things will not go well for them.

One thing I do know is Disney will not kill the golden goose and if things take a downward trajectory heads will roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Slydice wrote: »
    Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmm

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

They're hardly doing a sneak entry using the Fox film all along? I thought that was going Direct to Netflix or streaming or something..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_Mutants_(film)

April 2020 seems awful convenient

I've found it odd they didn't just cancel it. Its been reshot to hell and back from what was in the trailer BUT it was meant to be heavily based on Horror themes, the Strange movie is meant to also have horror themes. So maybe it'd work?

Be a cool way to start introducing them rather than just blasting in the full team.

Like Hulks snap caused some weird shít to start to happen some kids leading to the hospital/torture that was set to be happening in New Mutants. They could start to plant a few mutant seeds that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Sparko

Let's not forget that Peter Quills mother played a previous role as a Captain America fan in the 1940s, and Alfre Woodard was in both Civil War and Luke Cage as different characters so double jobbing isn't new in the MCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Cant help thinking that WandaVision and Doctor Strange 2 could be an adaption of House of M which could be used introduce mutants and Xmen.

Could the title Multiverse of Madness be a red herring perhaps - a la Serpant Society/Civil War?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Sparko wrote: »
    Let's not forget that Peter Quills mother played a previous role as a Captain America fan in the 1940s, and Alfre Woodard was in both Civil War and Luke Cage as different characters so double jobbing isn't new in the MCU.

That was Peter Quill's grandmother in Captain America according to James Gunn

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Hasn't Feige said several times the TV shows are nothing to do with the movies?

And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Netflix shows, etc. are not really a part of the MCU anyway. There is the occasional reference to the Chitari attack and other references in S.H.I.E.L.D. but nothing from the shows crossover.

Other than S.H.I.E.L.D., the TV shows didn't;'t fit the movie universe anyway. And the casting of Mahershala Ali (I cut and pasted that because I can neither spell it not say it:P) the non-Disney+ shows are not movie canon.

Mr E wrote: »

Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel 2 and Mutants will all be released during Phase 4 too.

I'm guessing they are a part of Phase 5.

Looking forward to everything that was announced and a lot has me curious, like :-

how is Jane Foster worthy of Mjölnir?
    I know nothing about the Eternals or Shang-Chi
    just how weird is WandaVision going to get?
    will we be getting a new take on vampires for the MCU

and most importantly where is Spider-Man 3?:eek:

In regards to Mutants, wasn't Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver referred to as "Gifted" in Age of Ultron (or in the end-credit scene of a previous film) and the Hydra experiment enhanced something that was already there? Or did Hydra create the powers?

Some people are suggesting that the Blip creates mutants but that would means 50% of the human race, if not the universe, gets powers. Mutants need to a minority or else they could simply take over. They could already exist and the like of Professor X have been helping keep them secret but in the wake the Snap decides to form the X-Men to help introduce them to the world. However, I don't see how the can fit the idea f Mutants being hated, feared and hunted in a world that praised the Avengers and if the returned are mutants then everyone will know it. The only thing I can think of to make the world fear or distrust them is for the MCU to use an event like the one that caused the Civil War in comics - that a mutant or mutants accidentally cause a massive, devastating tragedy and things spiral out of control.

Although as I type I remember mention of Kree sleeper cells in Far from Home. The Kree are the creators of Inhumans in Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. so maybe the Kree agents on Earth have been tinkering with people's DNA ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Hasn't Feige said several times the TV shows are nothing to do with the movies?

And Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the Netflix shows, etc. are not really a part of the MCU anyway. There is the occasional reference to the Chitari attack and other references in S.H.I.E.L.D. but nothing from the shows crossover.
    that was before disney plus

Cant help thinking that WandaVision and Doctor Strange 2 could be an adaption of House of M which could be used introduce mutants and Xmen.

Could the title Multiverse of Madness be a red herring perhaps - a la Serpant Society/Civil War?

Why do you think it is not the title?

Feige's Captain America: Serpent Society was intended as a humorous misdirection because so many people were saying Cap 3 would be Civil War so he was just having some fun. No reason why "In the Mutliverse of Madness" would not be the title and that title does mean it can't introduce Mutants. I think it is simply a homage to "In the Mouth of Madness" seeing as it is going to be a horror film and the director has an interest and background in that genre.

EDIT: I hope Mutants are not brought to Earth all of sudden from another dimension. Or maybe the intention is that the world of the X-Men will be a different dimension where there are no Avengers, etc. - hence why people with powers are badly treated - and the X-men movies will take place somewhere else in the multiverse ?

that was before disney plus

That is what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Why do you think it is not the title?

No reason really, just a thought. I actually love the title of it but would be an interesting way to hide the fact that a House of M story is currently in progress

• Advertisement

Is Shang Chi the only one who gets more than just his name/group for his first movie?

Advertisement