Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand's Walrus Reveal!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

osh wrote: »
    So I take it Oasis wasn't picked then :pac:

I could have picked a song sung by Noel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

They can be an acquired taste for many.

Check out songs like 'Don't Take Me Alive', 'Do It Again' and 'Reeling in the Years'...if you don't like those well then maybe the Dan isn't your thing.

omg, i had no idea reeling in the years was steely dan. Okay, thats definitely a song I like. I will check out more of their stuff for sure :D

I know it's not Eurythmics, but the Annie Lennox song that brings me back to younger days is 'Walking on Broken Glass'. As soon as I hear that intro, I'm dragged back to early 90s Saturday mornings and the ITV Chart Show.

I love that intro :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Ah that Travelling Wilbury's track brings me back too nice mix of nostalgia in these choices!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Necro wrote: »
    I could have picked a song sung by Noel :P

If it's Talk Tonight I will doff my cap to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Talk Tonight and Masterplan are my favourite Oasis songs.

I love a bit of Travelling Wilburys. :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sadly you can keep your cap un-doffed. In more recent (well Oasis recent) times Importance of Being Idle is also excellent:)

That B-Side album (apart from the Walrus cover) is arguably their best imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Necro wrote: »

Sadly you can keep your cap un-doffed. In more recent (well Oasis recent) times Importance of Being Idle is also excellent:)

Probably my favourite. Definitely, Maybe was the first album I ever bought, my sister, who was in college at the time asked me who Oasis were

9th Place :: Herbert - The Audience

The first half of this song kinda reminds me of Luke Vibert in a way - very dischordzilla or with off time beats. I really enjoyed the first half of the track, but the second half kinda lost me a bit.... which it shouldnt have. It is elements of music that I love, but I dunno..... while I was writing this thought, Herbert - I Hadn't Known came on afterwards and that just suited my pallette much more

9th Place - 7 points to
    osh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

I'm listening to a lot of difficult music at the moment, no lyrics, not harmonic (weird stuff). I've been told it's beautiful and to stick with it cause once it clicks.

Now all these songs tonight sound a bit childish, I fear I may have ruined songs.

Clarabel wrote: »
    I'm listening to a lot of difficult music at the moment, no lyrics, not harmonic (weird stuff). I've been told it's beautiful and to stick with it cause once it clicks.

Now all these songs tonight sound a bit childish, I fear I may have ruined songs.

Nah it's just what your ear is tuned to. Throw on some 80s hair bands and you'll be back to normal in no time ;):)

8th Place :: Pet Shop Boys - Its A Sin

I have always loved the Pet shop boys. Always on my mind was one of my favourite songs for a long time when I was younger and then I learned it was a cover version. Its A Sin is such a great song. I think I'm just a little too familiar with it or it would have place higher

8th Place - 8 points to
    tritium

Rikand wrote: »
    Now we move into songs that I liked, but some more than others :)

10th Place :: Travelling Wilburys - Handle with Care

A nice song, but I'm gonna say something possibly controversial here. I dont like Bob Dylan. Well, I like his song writing, but i am not a fan of his singing. And even though he doesnt have much to do in this song, there's still just enough Dylan that I can never warm to it. Not even Roy Orbison's silky smooth vocal can get me over the tiny Dylan bit.

10th Place - 6 points to
    Green&Red

I’d agree about Dylan, I’ve never really liked but id disagree on one point, Roy Orbisons silky smooth voice can mount any challenge, him and George Harrison are fantastic in that song and I think Tom Petty dominates the chorus

Ohhh love me some Pet Shop Boys too. Shopping actually has a great intro.

Now we move into songs that I liked, but some more than others :)

10th Place :: Travelling Wilburys - Handle with Care

A nice song, but I'm gonna say something possibly controversial here. I dont like Bob Dylan. Well, I like his song writing, but i am not a fan of his singing. And even though he doesnt have much to do in this song, there's still just enough Dylan that I can never warm to it. Not even Roy Orbison's silky smooth vocal can get me over the tiny Dylan bit.

10th Place - 6 points to
    Green&Red

Forgot how much I love Roy Orbison's voice

You gotta reach up for the stars (Necro)

Climb every mountain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,835 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

8th Place :: Pet Shop Boys - Its A Sin

Stone. Cold. Classic.

7th Place :: Heartbeats - The Knife

Someone submitted the Jose Gonzales cover in round 1. I wonder was it a good idea to submit the original ? Yes it was! Great song, great synths and the vocal gives it such a different vibe. Dont know which I prefer more, they are such different songs really but great songs!

7th Place - 9 points to
    Builebeag

Someone submitted the Jose Gonzales cover in round 1. I wonder was it a good idea to submit the original ? Yes it was! Great song, great synths and the vocal gives it such a different vibe. Dont know which I prefer more, they are such different songs really but great songs!

7th Place - 9 points to
    Builebeag

I submitted the cover as well. I love them both so much!! I felt like it was ok to enter both because as you said they're such different songs. Amazing in their own ways. This is my third 7th place I think! I guess I'm a mid table gal and I'm happy with that! :)

• Advertisement

7th Place - 9 points to
    Builebeag

Never heard the original before, love it. Trippy video

Have to say, these are getting better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

while I was writing this thought, Herbert - I Hadn't Known came on afterwards and that just suited my pallette much more

Yeah I did consider that one after I'd sent this in, probably should have gone with it, but this was one I've liked for a long time so went with it :)

As well as the stellar main line-up, Jeff Lynne did some amazing production work for the Travelling Wilburys. It was an unreal project.

9th Place :: Herbert - The Audience

The first half of this song kinda reminds me of Luke Vibert in a way - very dischordzilla or with off time beats. I really enjoyed the first half of the track, but the second half kinda lost me a bit.... which it shouldnt have. It is elements of music that I love, but I dunno..... while I was writing this thought, Herbert - I Hadn't Known came on afterwards and that just suited my pallette much more

9th Place - 7 points to
    osh

Wow really comes together when the piano comes in

6th Place :: Daft Bodies - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

lol, great video. I've watched this 4 times now and I have yet to write any description for it. Think I've more or less just sat here open mouthed at how brilliant this is. If I hadn't heard the song 400 million times before this would have scored better. it's such a great song, such great appeal to my preferred music choice and the video strongly appeals to my rampant heterosexuality. Well played!

6th Place - 10 points to
    Deleted User

7th Place - 9 points to
    Builebeag

Great original by The Knife, great cover by Jose Gonzalez, just a great fúcking song that I love.

The Knife playing it live is...interesting, and the way they introduce the Twin Peaks theme is genius.

Love that song Mick.

:eek: Top 5 for me though, is this backwards day in the Rikand household :pac:

Wow really comes together when the piano comes in

Thats exactly it! The piano should have tied the whole thing together for me, but its the vocal I just cant get with I think. The voices playing against and across each other. It just drives me to distraction way too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Great original by The Knife, great cover by Jose Gonzalez, just a great fúcking song that I love.

The Knife playing it live is...interesting, and the way they introduce the Twin Peaks theme is genius.

Their live music are like new songs. Possibly one of my favourite live gigs

Advertisement