Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭straight

I think he just needed less cows. Funny the ideas of success some people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hi. My milking cows eyes are weeping a bit. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks

Flies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

straight wrote: »
    I think he just needed less cows. Funny the ideas of success some people have.

Not quiet what I took from the article.

Not quiet what I took from the article.

That's understandable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

back from brinnginng in cows... (was in killarney at match) one cow left in field.. she one of this yrs heifers.. she is deranged... out of her mind.. charged at the quad twice has wrecked one side of it.... she is stone mad... any ideas... father says a deficiency? shes not usually like this btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭visatorro

She normally like that or just this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

back from brinnginng in cows... (was in killarney at match) one cow left in field.. she one of this yrs heifers.. she is deranged... out of her mind.. charged at the quad twice has wrecked one side of it.... she is stone mad... any ideas... father says a deficiency? shes not usually like this btw

Are you sure it wasn't the bull. Did you have a few pints in the Shire, Jimmy ó Brien or the Tatler?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,107 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Meningitis or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Attie Ross

whelan2 wrote: »
    Meningitis or similar?

Red water. Iv had it happen to me.

Attie Ross wrote: »
    Red water. Iv had it happen to me.

Yourself or the cow:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Meningitis? Listerosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I had a cow a few days ago that took strange to me. But went the opposite way and took off in a flight away from me not following the cows back out into the field.

I was after getting my hair cut and was wearing a tee shirt which I normally don't do (shirt man) and wasn't wearing my overalls.

Did you get the vet

For anyone going for a new build..

40 cows to heat the house with a cost for the year of €280.

https://selfbuild.ie/project/it-takes-40-cows-to-heat-the-house-in-winter/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Two council lads walking around field this a.m, never asked permission, from water section wasn’t in yard at time but guessed where leak was and told brother to tell them where to look, got home and they had gone no joy finding leak, walked down and had it copped in 2 mins, they where to lazy to hop over the barbwire fence in the forestry section where it’s burst....
    Their drawing up water with artics now, you’d have no hope for this country going forward when you examine the public sector and sheer-waste and money been wasted

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Two council lads walking around field this a.m, never asked permission, from water section wasn’t in yard at time but guessed where leak was and told brother to tell them where to look, got home and they had gone no joy finding leak, walked down and had it copped in 2 mins, they where to lazy to hop over the barbwire fence in the forestry section where it’s burst....
    Their drawing up water with artics now, you’d have no hope for this country going forward when you examine the public sector and sheer-waste and money been wasted

People talk of them running a nuclear power plant. Could you imagine. What could possibly go wrong

straight wrote: »
    People talk of them running a nuclear power plant. Could you imagine. What could possibly go wrong

It gets better, the pipes are absestos lined, the leak has been going on for months but the pipe is are after totally blowing out now, so they’ll be drawing water for the foreseeable unless Irish water divert the pipeline around the forestry and link it in further up, of course they’re going to have to compensate ourselves if they want to access our land to do these works, expecting a phone call I’m the morning of some highly paid suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Meningitis? Listerosis?

Last case I heard just like that was sunstroke. Put her in a house and call the vet.

Just had a 3 year old hol/fr bull loaded up on a lorry with charolais bullocks for the factory.
    Only for the colour he matched them up perfectly.
    No meal fed to this fella either only as a calf. I'll post up the results of this lad when I get them.
    *charolais weren't mine.

How did he do?

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did he do?

No cheque yet. It's usually near 10 days now before it comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No cheque yet. It's usually near 10 days now before it comes.

We collect it the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,133 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see a man from Urhan become the Chairman of Carbery. Now that is truly a West Cork man, Urhan is out beyond Castletownbere. Great footballing country.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carbery-group-reveals-held-milk-price-for-june/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Water John wrote: »
    Great to see a man from Urhan become the Chairman of Carbery. Now that is truly a West Cork man, Urhan is out beyond Castletownbere. Great footballing country.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/carbery-group-reveals-held-milk-price-for-june/
    I thought at first glance he was from some Arabian country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Long story short...
    English couple moved to the south of France 5yrs ago, bought a dairy farm, but wants out now to move back to the UK. Says he can’t handle the shyte and regulation...
    They produce 900k litres. Cows are a mix of pure Hol and also hol x Swedish red. Anyone any experience of the hol/Swedish Red cross?

He wants to sell the herd complete with followers. What’re they worth?

85 cows in milk most in-calf to BB.
    34 in-calf heifers. Sexed semen.
    40 maidens.
    33 calves.

Long story short...
    English couple moved to the south of France 5yrs ago, bought a dairy farm, but wants out now to move back to the UK. Says he can’t handle the shyte and regulation...
    They produce 900k litres. Cows are a mix of pure Hol and also hol x Swedish red. Anyone any experience of the hol/Swedish Red cross?

He wants to sell the herd complete with followers. What’re they worth?

85 cows in milk most in-calf to BB.
    34 in-calf heifers. Sexed semen.
    40 maidens.
    33 calves.

Have a couple of brilliant ones here but all are of a particular bull A Linne, used a few other sr bulls and they where a pure disaster bad feet/temperament/yield and poor bags they where all culled down through the years

Have a couple of brilliant ones here but all are of a particular bull A Linne, used a few other sr bulls and they where a pure disaster bad feet/temperament/yield and poor bags they where all culled down through the years

That doesn’t warm the cockles...
    Are the SR crosses worse than pure Hol with regards their feet and mobility?

That doesn’t warm the cockles...
    Are the SR crosses worse than pure Hol with regards their feet and mobility?

The bad ones are a lot worse but the good ones have great feet
    These 3 are all 3rd lactation plus doing 32-36 liters at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What age are the current ones in the herd? How they they look/ perform?

The bad ones are a lot worse but the good ones have great feet
    These 3 are all 3rd lactation plus doing 32-36 liters at the minute

You’ve 3 left out of how many originally?

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    What age are the current ones in the herd? How they they look/ perform?

I haven’t seen the herd, it’s 5hrs drive away but he tells me that the herd is about 50:50 hols and Sr crosses.

64 cows are less than 3 lactations. He’d sell me the other 20 for less than factory price.
    Herd average is 10800L with 3.47pr and 4.5bf.
    Indoor ayr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement