Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C&C/Red Alert Remastered

• 14-11-2018 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

https://www.pcgamer.com/command-and-conquer-and-red-alert-remastered-are-being-developed-by-former-candc-devs/

Original Command & Conquer and Red Alert being remastered by Petroglyph Games which is made up of ex-Westwood staff.

At the moment they are saying it's a remaster rather than a remake but hoping it'll be a bit more than just some upscaled textures and 4K support. Either way, great to see the original team involved and hopefully this will be the start of bringing back the series before EA destroyed it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

grimm2005 wrote: »
    https://www.pcgamer.com/command-and-conquer-and-red-alert-remastered-are-being-developed-by-former-candc-devs/

Original Command & Conquer and Red Alert being remastered by Petroglyph Games which is made up of ex-Westwood staff.

At the moment they are saying it's a remaster rather than a remake but hoping it'll be a bit more than just some upscaled textures and 4K support. Either way, great to see the original team involved and hopefully this will be the start of bringing back the series before EA destroyed it.

Just give me Tiberian Sun, the definitive and undeniably best game of the series! :D

Hopefully, the remaster is treated with respect. Then again, it is EA, so I expect lootboxes containing skins for a mammoth tank... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hell March!!!!!! For the glory of a Continental Soviet Union.

Also....

"Rise my people. I have returned, never to leave your side again. GDI sought to destroy me, but they have only made me stronger. Today, we march forward into our future. A stronger people. A divined people, enhanced for the Tiberium world. The time has come, to claim this world as our own! The time has come, to destroy GDI ! One vision. One purpose! Peace through power!"
    — Returned Kane (Tiberian Sun).

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Best opening sequence to a game ever!

Heet-ler is out ov de way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Falthyron wrote: »
    Hopefully, the remaster is treated with respect. Then again, it is EA, so I expect lootboxes containing skins for a mammoth tank... :rolleyes:

No micro-transactions confirmed!

https://www.pcgamer.com/ea-confirm-remasters-of-classic-command-and-conquer-games-wont-have-microtransactions/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Falthyron wrote: »
    Just give me Tiberian Sun, the definitive and undeniably best game of the series! :D

I recently replayed Tiberian Sun and it hasn't aged well; the pathfinding in the AI was abysmal.

Good news though and hot off the heels of that awful looking mobile game I wonder is this an emergency claw back of goodwill ...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Many folks play the 3d c&c games? C&C3 was pretty decent from what I recall, the alien faction working well; Red Alert 3 I only recall the cheesy FMVs that went way overboard, and those units that could swap function on a hotkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Best opening sequence to a game ever!

Heet-ler is out ov de way.

Assistant: Did you find him?
    Einstein: Hitler is... out of the way.
    Assistant: Congratulations, professor! With Hitler removed-
    Einstein: Time will tell. Sooner or later... time will tell...

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Man, if you'd asked me what I thought about the constant remasters of games, I'd have said it was just awful and lazy.

But with this and Warcraft III: Reforged, I may not leave my house for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

pixelburp wrote: »
    Many folks play the 3d c&c games? C&C3 was pretty decent from what I recall, the alien faction working well; Red Alert 3 I only recall the cheesy FMVs that went way overboard, and those units that could swap function on a hotkey.

Yeah, 3. That was the last decent C&C, Kane's Wrath expansion too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Delighted to see some proper C&C news. Hopefully we'll see the 2nd remastered as well if this goes well. While the first is probably a better game, i absolutely adore 2. Hell March 2 is where it's really at :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,462 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Cool! I actually got back into play RA2 lest year for a while, the original with updated graphics would be even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So excited for this. So much time invested into these games when i was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Hope they remaster RA2 when they are done with the original.

The details are vague but it doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a remake; Petroglyph have a solid RTS engine they've used for a few games, but the article hints that the eventual game may just amount to an upscale of the graphics and other lowball modernising (support for modern resolutions etc) - so basically precisely what OpenRA does already ...

https://www.openra.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That was my first thought - it'll just be a polished version of OpenRA (which is great).

The original RA engine though has a problem, independent of your hardware resources, where it bogs down to a crawl when too many units are on-map at once, and even after the fighting is over, it doesn't return to normal speed.

We discovered that in our youth as our preferred method of playing system-link was to build up two opposing armies to the unit limit, completely ignore each other for that period, and then bang in in the middle of the map in an all-or-nothing face off at about 3fps.

And of course the golden rule: no nukes. Did always feel the Soviets were way OP compared to the allies though.

And of course who didn't love the tech level 1 "First World War" infantry battles, where the first person to find a mammoth tank in a crate wins.

The best of times. Was not really a fan of RA2 and hated RA3, those were the last games I played, and I think the last one for me that had the real C&C feel was probably Tiberian Sun.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think I preferred RA2 to RA and I preferred RA to all of the C&C games. Never played a huge amount of it in Multiplayer, but I definitely had some fun with it. Some improved AI, especially with the pathing, mightn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Played all of them. They all had their charms and were worth playing.

Hopefully, they sell incredibly well and prove to EA that there is money to be made with this fanbase. One can only hope.

Same: I have a fondness for Red Alert 1, with its stripped-down feel, but the balance didn't feel particularly fair; Red Alert 2 was a more rounded beast that allowed for a better variation of strategies IMO - along with better balancing between the Allies & Soviets. Plus, the units were just much more fun to play with too. Jetpacks, psychic squid, mirage tanks & so on (I appreciate the ramped up goofiness was probably not everyones' cup of tea)

Mind you, Yuri's Revenge threw that out the window as IIRC, while that 3rd faction was pretty tricky to control, it became massively OP in the right hands. I think I had barely any kind of win % against Yuri players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

The details are vague but it doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a remake; Petroglyph have a solid RTS engine they've used for a few games, but the article hints that the eventual game may just amount to an upscale of the graphics and other lowball modernising (support for modern resolutions etc) - so basically precisely what OpenRA does already ...

https://www.openra.net

Never knew this existed! Will have to give it a look :D

Some details on this have trickled out, including the first look at one of the remastered assets - the construction yard. Still presuming this will be like the StarCraft remaster and backport highres assets onto the "original" engine (alongside netcode refactoring)

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/bea82f/remaster_update_and_first_art_preview/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some details on this have trickled out, including the first look at one of the remastered assets - the construction yard. Still presuming this will be like the StarCraft remaster and backport highres assets onto the "original" engine (alongside netcode refactoring)

https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/bea82f/remaster_update_and_first_art_preview/

It looks like they're actually completely rebuilt assets if i'm reading their latest update, they have a whole team working on them:

6bykrbwduha31.jpg

Heres the most recent Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/commandandconquer/comments/cdjlh1/remaster_update_and_red_alert_preview/

First trailer for this has popped up, giving a sense of what the high-res graphics look during gameplay. My first impressions are ... ... I dunno. High-res, low framerate sprites is a really weird combination & not sure it works for me. Appreciate the decision to keep things as authentic as possible, but a little more embellishment would have been nice.

Man that soundtrack still rocks so much lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looks OK but I agree the design style is a bit jarring more than anything else. I will still likely purchase it but I'm kinda thinking OpenRA may very well end up being the superior product in the end. As it is, it's almost perfect really and updated in the best possible ways. Play it a lot, feels really strange going back to the original Red Alert through Origin.

Homelander wrote: »
    Looks OK but I agree the design style is a bit jarring more than anything else. I will still likely purchase it but I'm kinda thinking OpenRA may very well end up being the superior product in the end. As it is, it's almost perfect really and updated in the best possible ways. Play it a lot, feels really strange going back to the original Red Alert through Origin.

I haven't played it in ages, but I'm fairly sure OpenRAs sprite are high frame rate, despite sticking to the low detail pixelart roots. Or at least that's what I remember of things like the movement of the vehicle sprites. Wonder what the community feedback to this trailer has been ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,993 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Is there any chance I won't be able to run this on a recent Dell Inspiron?

A full trailer has been released with a breakdown of feature; I've warmed a little to that upscaled art, and it's looking like a pretty robust remaster (compared to other recent RTS remasters cough cough). Hopefully success will open the doors to a Tiberian Sun & Red Alert 2 remaster next ....

And for those looking for that traditional "Game in a Box" feel, looks like there'll be limited edition physical copies with stickers, posters, and the usual bric-a-brac you get with these things

https://i.redd.it/ic424x2frul41.png

To quote my inner Stalin..."I want it".

June tho, sad face.

Again, anyone know if this might run on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series? (i5)

I assume there is next to no graphics card in it

noodler wrote: »
    To quote my inner Stalin..."I want it".

June tho, sad face.

Again, anyone know if this might run on a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series? (i5)

I assume there is next to no graphics card in it

It's on Steam already for pre-purchase, with min/recommended specs for your perusal:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

They seem pretty reasonable, nothing shocking given the tech, remastered or not.

It's on Steam already for pre-purchase, with min/recommended specs for your perusal:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1213210/Command__Conquer_Remastered_Collection/

They seem pretty reasonable, nothing shocking given the tech, remastered or not.

Thanks. Needs the following.

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 420 or ATI Radeon HD 5570

The laptop has a "intel UHD Graphics 620".

Can that run games?

• Advertisement

Also, 20 euro on Steam seems quite reasonable.

Advertisement