Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Republican Presidential Fruitcakes (and fellow confections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Three cheers for Grimy!

latest?cb=20150523130350

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Steve King, the IOWA GOP Rep., noted for his colourful, some would say fascist, tendencies, has a nice patriotic re-tweet for July 4th...

D-r-WEjb-XUAEhw-Ei-jpg-large.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Can Steve King handle the truth?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I see that Tommy Robinson / Stephen Yaxley-Lennon got jailed today for nine months; https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/11/tommy-robinson-given-nine-month-jail-term-for-contempt-of-court

• Advertisement

Do like the t-shirt though

66386919_2230397770349308_3602761714849808384_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_oc=AQldF9GGX6hib6BZMr9ShMPXQNL6VRjnxhdtuNa-EoNKeSIYOrtpBbjH89m8Lh07qCA&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=cccb0a62d8a4cda10b8e51e9daf773e8&oe=5DAE2BAE

smacl wrote: »
    I see that Tommy Robinson / Stephen Yaxley-Lennon got jailed today for nine months
    Not only that, but poor little Tommeh/Stephen has had enough of English law and now wants to become a refugee himself:

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1148498029533630464

I'm sure there's a nice camp near the Rio Grande that could find a spot for him.

robindch wrote: »
    Not only that, but poor little Tommeh/Stephen has had enough of English law and now wants to become a refugee himself

Don't know why he's panicking, no doubt there will be a place for him in Boris's new government.

smacl wrote: »
    Don't know why he's panicking, no doubt there will be a place for him in Boris's new government.

...in the Foreign office, no doubt.

Meanwhile, Gemma is stating that the whole Tuam babies incident is a hoax.
    https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1150695458509086721

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Odhinn wrote: »
    Meanwhile, Gemma is stating that the whole Tuam babies incident is a hoax.
    What a vile position to adopt. Sad that there are people who'll swallow it in desperation to excuse that sordid facet of their religious institutions.

Her accounts on youtube have been closed, by reason of "hate speech". She's at the door of google whinging

https://twitter.com/newsworthy_ie/status/1151166667776561154

"Tommy Robinson's former camerawoman Lucy Brown accuses Robinson and his associates of spending thousands they've received in donations on cocaine."
    https://mobile.twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1153632537627058178?fbclid=IwAR3yVGQGBYji1P6pL91yAs-7ICDdbynSnosHs7PpeRURjqqyZ8ycQpFAQyE

Speaking for God, Pat Robertson announces that #45 "is in great danger of losing the mandate of Heaven" if he abandons the Kurds to any upcoming Turkish invasion of Syria. God was likewise silent regarding all of of #45's previous activities too.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1181258801455996934

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭volchitsa

As an aside. "Mandate of Heaven": Isn't it a wonderful way to make your opinion on stuff seem far more important - suddenly it's not just your own thoughts, you get to decide who "Heaven" is rooting for too.

How did we not see long ago what a scam this whole religion carry-on was?

volchitsa wrote: »
    As an aside. "Mandate of Heaven": Isn't it a wonderful way to make your opinion on stuff seem far more important - suddenly it's not just your own thoughts, you get to decide who "Heaven" is rooting for too.

How did we not see long ago what a scam this whole religion carry-on was?

Seems like Pat Robertson is confusing the wanna be American emperor with a Chinese one.

How do you get informed you have the "mandate of heaven" in the first place? Phonecall? E-mail? Skype? burning bush?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,906 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Odhinn wrote: »
    How do you get informed you have the "mandate of heaven" in the first place? Phonecall? E-mail? Skype? burning bush?
    Pat Robertson tells you.

Dynastic_Cycle_.gif

LOL

Nowadays we call this the electoral cycle. It rotates rather more quickly than the dynastic cycle, but it's basically the same thing.

• Advertisement

Seems the campaign to re-elect the president (which in the Nixon era went by the wonderful acronym of CREEP) has a neo-Nazi running its social media.

The incumbent President of the United States of America ran now-banned Facebook ads loaded with Nazi references
    Facebook has removed online ads and posts by President Trump's reelection campaign for violating its rules prohibiting "organized hate," a step the ad biz has been reluctant to take.

The ads, which are said to have been circulating on Facebook since June 3, 2020, claimed that dangerous mobs of left-wing groups are running riot, and urged ad viewers to add their names to a marketing list and donate money to the Trump campaign.

According to Media Matters, the ads were revised on June 17, 2020, to include a red triangle symbol that was used by the Nazis to identify political prisoners in concentration camps. The watchdog group says the Trump campaign ran 88 of these ads yesterday.

The Anti-Defamation League identifies 88 as a hate symbol. It's used to refer to the eighth letter of the Latin alphabet, "H," which repeated twice can stand for "Heil Hitler." What's more, the first sentence in these ads is 14 words, also a white supremacist dogwhistle. Quite a coincidence it seems.

If Facebook is removing it, it must be bad...

Yesterday, the US Treasury Department released the names + addresses of the businesses to whom they have lent cash under the Paycheck Protection Program, part of the US's attempt to keep the economy afloat during covid. There are 661,000 companies which received more than $150,000 and heaven only knows how many which received less than $150k.

CNBC looked at the list which threw up some interesting titbits:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/06/coronavirus-stimulus-list-of-ppp-small-business-loan-recipients-released.html

In the $150+ bracket, there are over 500 organizations listed which contain 'god' in their name, 1100 containing 'jew', 1400 baptist, 2200 catholic and over nine thousand 'church'(es). Even the Ayn Rand Institute was not exempt from government generosity - choosing to accept a loan somewhere in the range $350,000 to $1,000,000.

The full data is available as a zipfile and probably contains enough information to keep data scientists busy for years to come:

https://sba.app.box.com/s/tvb0v5i57oa8gc6b5dcm9cyw7y2ms6pp

Interesting that religious organisations can be classified as businesses when it comes to handouts, but charities when it comes to paying taxes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Interesting that religious organisations can be classified as businesses when it comes to handouts, but charities when it comes to paying taxes

Or that Libertarians aren't adverse to big government giving them a hand out.

Not that interesting, unless you assume that "charity" and "business" are mutually exclusive categories. A brief acquaintance with reality will disabuse you of that notion.

Religiously-motivated undertakings that employ people qualify for loans under the Paycheck Protection Program on exactly the same conditions and criteria as apply to undertakings not so motivated. The principles of secularity require this, surely? Similarly, not-for-profit employers qualify on the same terms as for-profit employers. It would be much more interesting if that were not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The principles of secularity require this, surely?

And why doesn't the principle of secularity apply when it comes to taxes?

Then they hide behind religion.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    And why doesn't the principle of secularity apply when it comes to taxes?

Then they hide behind religion.
    It does. Churches get the same tax treatment, by and large, as other non-profits.

It does. Churches get the same tax treatment, by and large, as other non-profits.

Though not other non-prophets... ;)

Which doesn't address the issue of why promotion of religion is seen as a charitable purpose in itself.

• Advertisement

Which doesn't address the issue of why promotion of religion is seen as a charitable purpose in itself.
    True. But it's a bit of a red herring; if abandon the idea of the state decreeing what is and is not charitable and switch instead to a US-type system of taxing undertakings according to the religion-neutral criterion of whether they are for-profit or not-for-profit, you get a very similar outcome.

The only way to tax churches but not other not-for-profit enterprises is to impose a special tax on churches, as churches. Which of course those who advocate a secular state could not countenance for an instant.

Advertisement