Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Flagging down

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's called respect.

If they don't have it for us then I don't have it for them.

It's fair game, if they say please and thank you, I will too. Doesn't take much to be nice but it goes both ways, the more you give the more they take and they do take the piss at times !

Punishing people for being a bit dozy isn't very respectful though. I find that 99% of people are extremely grateful when you do them a favour (i.e. stop when they haven't seen the bus coming, wait for them when you see them running towards you, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Punishing people for being a bit dozy isn't very respectful though. I find that 99% of people are extremely grateful when you do them a favour (i.e. stop when they haven't seen the bus coming, wait for them when you see them running towards you, etc).

There's a big difference to someone running for the bus than someone sitting there on their phone expecting things to just happen for them

I've no problem waiting for someone running up but people that are too ignorant to follow the basics of look out for the bus coming and put your hand out ? I'm not their servant, are we suppose to pay their fare for them too ? Hope their hand getting on and personally get them a seat ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

There's a big difference to someone running for the bus than someone sitting there on their phone expecting things to just happen for them

I've no problem waiting for someone running up but people that are too ignorant to follow the basics of look out for the bus coming and put your hand out ? I'm not their servant, are we suppose to pay their fare for them too ? Hope their hand getting on and personally get them a seat ?

Most of the time, they're not being ignorant - they're just dopey fuckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Timetables :rolleyes:

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/412/

Theres what passes for a "time table" with Dublin Bus. Could you tell me what time the first bus out of Swords picks up at Santry, say the Onmiplex?? They tell you what time it is supposed to leave the terminus and the rest is in the lap of the gods.

5:38am if you can do the simple addition that they provide under the timetable :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

5:38am if you can do the simple addition that they provide under the timetable :rolleyes:

Yes but the link between buses and the app/timetable are decoupled within a few minutes of departure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Right. Anybody who has ever worked with the public (and EVERYONE should) will be able to tell you: The public are scum. PEOPLE may be fine but The Public are ignorant entitled a**holes.

As for the OP. He wants every single Dublin Bus to stop at every single bus stop they pass. Irregardless of whether the bus is supposed to stop there or not and even if NOBODY wants to get on or off the bus. He wants this for the benefit of people who so rarely use the service that they have never seen anyone flag down a bus before (And yes, people DO flag down busses in other countries. To say they don't is simply incorrect. Anyone who says they don't is 100% wrong).

The OP wants this to happen, simply for these users to the severe inconvenience of all the regular day-in-day-out users. Others also want this but also want the busses to run 100% on time.

Can you imagine what would happen if every single bus slowed down, pulled in, stopped, waited 15-30 seconds, waited for potential runners, waited for a chance to pull out into traffic, pulled into traffic, got up to speed and did this.... At. Every. Stop. They. Pass. Even if there is nobody there or nobody wants to get on or off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Most of the time, they're not being ignorant - they're just dopey fuckers.

Would teach them not to be dopey fuckers if you drove past them though so might benefit them in the long run.

Might even save their live one day if they're the type that would use their phone crossing the road too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Take it up with the unions boyo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How does one hail a taxi????

How does one hail a taxi????

On your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

On your phone

But how do you get the taxi to your position without looking for it?

He doesn't know unless you make it aware you are the one that wants it....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,947 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Right. Anybody who has ever worked with the public (and EVERYONE should) will be able to tell you: The public are scum. PEOPLE may be fine but The Public are ignorant entitled a**holes.

Ditto for those PEOPLE who are also Bus Drivers.
    As for the OP. He wants every single Dublin Bus to stop at every single bus stop they pass. Irregardless of whether the bus is supposed to stop there or not and even if NOBODY wants to get on or off the bus. He wants this for the benefit of people who so rarely use the service that they have never seen anyone flag down a bus before (And yes, people DO flag down busses in other countries. To say they don't is simply incorrect. Anyone who says they don't is 100% wrong).

I think actually the OP wanted the bus to be free, to drop him exactly to his destination while breaking every red light and speed limit possible.
    In fact, probably the drivers should have paid the OP to take the bus, to have that privilege.

Of course, the OP gave no indication of wanting that, anymore than the OP gave an indication of the strawman you have fabricated. They merely asked a question, why some people thinks that gives them the right to land free hits I don't know.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Of all the problems with Dublin Bus, this is the last of them.

My question is why are busses so incredibly irregular. 25, 30+ mins wait times for almost every line you want to catch. And this in a jam packed city that needs to work and get to places. It is astonishing no one protests about this to demand functioning public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I can guarantee you that if you are there at 5:38am every morning for the next 4 days, you'd be lucky for it to arrive at that time ever.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Of course, the OP gave no indication of wanting that, anymore than the OP gave an indication of the strawman you have fabricated. They merely asked a question, why some people thinks that gives them the right to land free hits I don't know.

Genuine apology. You are correct (And apologies to the OP too). I mixed up the posts. I meant to refer to "Always Tired"s post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The_Brood wrote: »
    Of all the problems with Dublin Bus, this is the last of them.

My question is why are busses so incredibly irregular. 25, 30+ mins wait times for almost every line you want to catch. And this in a jam packed city that needs to work and get to places. It is astonishing no one protests about this to demand functioning public transport.

Two reasons. There are no more physical busses. Bus manufacturers are working at maximum capacity everywhere, wants more busses.

Bus drivers have contracts that prevent them from having to work flexible hours, if you want extra bus drivers in the morning you have to pay them to do nothing during the quiet period in the afternoon. And thay can't work more than around 7 or 8 hours in a day so you need a completely different set of drivers to do the evening rush hour who you also have to pay for a day's work.

Bus drivers are paid well enough that they should be asked to work 4 hours in the morning and/or 4 hours in the evening with a 6-8 hour break in the middle. It might not be great for those that are already there but it should be seen as something expected of new people taking driving a bus as a career.

Although going against my own previous point DB are struggling to hire drivers.

GarIT wrote: »
    Bus drivers are paid well enough that they should be asked to work 4 hours in the morning and/or 4 hours in the evening with a 6-8 hour break in the middle. It might not be great for those that are already there but it should be seen as something expected of new people taking driving a bus as a career.

That's a 16 hour day. I'm not a union boyo. I have serious problems with unions (Not this conversation). But say they start at 5AM

4 hours on:
    5AM-9AM:
    8 hours off:
    9:AM-5PM
    4 hours on:
    5PM-9PM

In order to get 40 hours a week they would need to do this 5 days a week.

Does that sound good to ANYONE? How long do you think a normal person would do that job? 5AM-9PM five days a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Last year a group of 5 of us left from my house to go to a match in town on a Saturday, timed it to reach the bus stop a few minutes before the next one was due in order to be sure to catch this twice hourly weekend service.

We live about 5 stops from the terminus, so the timing is always pretty reliable, but as we rounded the corner onto the main road and the bus stop came into sight maybe 100m away, what do I see only the bus approaching to fly past the empty stop about 2 mins before it was even due to depart the terminus.

As it had to pass us, I stepped to the edge of the kerb and pointed at my wristwatch shouting my displeasure, whereupon the brake lights came on the bus and it juddered to a halt just beyond us.

The front doors opened and we bailed on as Dessie Driver says to me 'hang on there, what do you mean by that gesture, who do you think you're being ignorant to?'

Says I, 'if you hadn't left 6 or 7 minutes early at top speed so you could finish to catch the (insert club) game and hope no one would notice, I wouldn't have to be gesturing to anyone, am I right? So lets leave the phonecall to the garage to one side and get on with it shall we? '

Mr Red Handed proceeded without another word.

So, my takeaway is this, for many bus drivers, customer service is an irrelevance and they hate the job. This kills the goodwill for their whole profession and so my expectation is that the bare minimum is about right and so i dont engage with them any more than i would with the postman or binman who come while im at work or the invisible person posting my bills or tallying my toll bridge journeys.

Just reading this makes me want to never be a bus driver and have to deal with some members of the public. You sound like an absolute dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

That's a 16 hour day. I'm not a union boyo. I have serious problems with unions (Not this conversation). But say they start at 5AM

4 hours on:
    5AM-9AM:
    8 hours off:
    9:AM-5PM
    4 hours on:
    5PM-9PM

In order to get 40 hours a week they would need to do this 5 days a week.

Does that sound good to ANYONE? How long do you think a normal person would do that job? 5AM-9PM five days a week?

It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if I didn't have to commute. I might even prefer it. With a long commute it's a big hassle.

You don't even have to go as far as I initially said to make a huge difference, 10 hour shifts, with a 2 hour break 4 days a week would result in over 50% more drivers being available during rush hour.

Advertisement