Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Flagging down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I take around 35 buses a week. Unpleasant DB drivers are an exception I have encountered only twice. I would make a complaint if it really happened as the OP states, no need for that reaction from the driver and it is certainly not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Is there any reason the driver wouldn't stop if he had been flagged down? I was in Dublin two weeks ago, going to a gig so beforehand, I was sauntering down Thomas Street towards the venue when I noticed a male and a female at the bus-stop I was approaching (they were not together). Then I saw both of them step forward, flag a bus that was approaching behind me, and the bus just hurtles on by.

They looked at each other, confused. It was a lovely sunny evening, traffic was light, they were the only people at the stop, the buss wasn't full, and they seemed to have given the driver enough time. The lad had even stepped out onto the road.

Maybe the driver couldn't keep his eyes off his phone... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My stop in on a tree lined avenue, on a dark winter's night, I had a bus go by me despite hand out.

I got one of these arm bands for free off the Road Safety website and no issues since.
    https://www.rsaorders.ie/orders-online/

ARMBK-228x228.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I love nothing more than coming up to a bus stop, nobody leaving the bus and people standing there staring like sheep at their phones as I sail by with a smile on my face knowing they fuc/ked up.

Great job lads

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

we5htufnc81y.png

• Advertisement

Is there any reason the driver wouldn't stop if he had been flagged down? I was in Dublin two weeks ago, going to a gig so beforehand, I was sauntering down Thomas Street towards the venue when I noticed a male and a female at the bus-stop I was approaching (they were not together). Then I saw both of them step forward, flag a bus that was approaching behind me, and the bus just hurtles on by.

They looked at each other, confused. It was a lovely sunny evening, traffic was light, they were the only people at the stop, the buss wasn't full, and they seemed to have given the driver enough time. The lad had even stepped out onto the road.

happens all the time.

i presume they are under orders from central to speed up along a route at times or something, but id say once or twice a month of daily use id see a half full bus ignore a waving passenger and fly by

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

El_Bee wrote: »
    Is this a bash bus driver thread? Twice I've had to stand half in the doors of a bus to stop a driver leaving when there's clearly an elderly person trying to get to the bus, I've seen it happen so many times, can they really not wait 10 seconds?

How do you know they seen them as many aren't at the stop expect the bus to wait....

The bus runs for those who wait not those that run.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Sure in some places in England you have put your hand out for a train as many of the smaller stations are request stops in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

VG31 wrote: »
    Having to put out your hand for buses seems to be a uniquely Irish/British thing. At least, I've never been anywhere else you have to do it normally.

Saw plenty of people in Biarritz doing it just last week.

At a stop that serves 3 or 4 routes, would you expect every bus to just stop in the hope that it's the one that the lone person standing at it wants?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I love nothing more than coming up to a bus stop, nobody leaving the bus and people standing there staring like sheep at their phones as I sail by with a smile on my face knowing they fuc/ked up.

Great job lads
    You sound just like a bus driver :)

Sitting there all happy warm and toasty inside your nice bus creating a right pickle for passengers that you have inconvenienced. Thank chr1st I don't need the peasant wagon anymore!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not just an Irish thing.

In France (Nice), you'll be left at stop if you don't put your hand out. There could be half a dozen routes using same stop.

This: A stop near me is a stop for 39, 39A (Different route), 76, 220 and others. So the LAST thing you want is the bus to stop at every single stop when only 2 or 3 stops are actually required for letting people on or off. It is NOT "An Irish Thing" or some Dublin Bus mismanagement/"Irishness". It makes perfect sense.

ELM327 wrote: »
    You sound just like a bus driver :)

Sitting there all happy warm and toasty inside your nice bus creating a right pickle for passengers that you have inconvenienced. Thank chr1st I don't need the peasant wagon anymore!!

Well you're right about that. I am a bus driver - not a mind reader !

Put your hand out in advance if you want the bus to stop !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Well you're right about that. I am a bus driver - not a mind reader !

Put your hand out in advance if you want the bus to stop !

But you said you do know they want the bus to stop and enjoy leaving them stuck there.

Hard to see how you get any pleasure out of it if you don't have a fair idea of what's going on in their mind?

But you said you do know they want the bus to stop and enjoy leaving them stuck there.

Hard to see how you get any pleasure out of it if you don't have a fair idea of what's going on in their mind?

So it's my fault people at the bus stop are too busy staring into their phones to put the hand out ?

I love this, it's never the person's fault and the bus driver is always a prick

The rule is put your hand out or press Bell for bus to stop. It's being like that since the dawn of time. Yet people are the victims and it's never their fault

I think it's great when it happens because j think people are idiots in general and I'm fed up with this PC culture we have going on. I would be happy to move planet if I could

So it's my fault people at the bus stop are too busy staring into their phones to put the hand out ?

Not even remotely what I said. I'm just saying "I'm not a mind reader" isn't a good defence to someone criticising your leaving people at a stop when you in fact do know what's in their mind. You enjoy leaving them there because you get annoyed they're on the phone, fine, be like that, just own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,941 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The rule is put your hand out or press Bell for bus to stop. It's being like that since the dawn of time. Yet people are the victims and it's never their fault
    I think it's great when it happens because j think people are idiots in general and I'm fed up with this PC culture we have going on. I would be happy to move planet if I could

If you take pleasure in it, then yes you are as you described.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Oh my god it's PC society's fault.

K bye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Is this a serious question?

You could be waiting for any number of buses that are on that route. How is the driver supposed to know?

Why would it not be serious? As has been noted, in many other countries the bus stops at every stop on the route.

I know it may seem to make less sense to those used to the system, but if you're not local you wouldn't know and could be left stranded as there are no signs telling you to flag down a bus, and for people in other countries they would be as incredulous to hear that this is necessary as you are to hear that people don't know this is necessary. To someone not Irish flagging down is done for taxis, not for any type of public transport. It would seem almost as ridiculous as having to flag down a train.And buseireann buses usually stop at every stop even if they are used by different routes.

In this country we are so used to being treated like crap for any service we pay for. The onus shouldnt be on a passenger to get a bus to stop, the driver should have a duty to stop and make sure that anyone waiting at the stop gets a chance to board if necessary. Or at least put up signs saying that you need to get up and do a dance to get the bus to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this a bash bus driver thread? Twice I've had to stand half in the doors of a bus to stop a driver leaving when there's clearly an elderly person trying to get to the bus, I've seen it happen so many times, can they really not wait 10 seconds?

Will it only be 10 seconds? Multiply that 10 seconds by everyone else on the bus.

Is that person running on the road, causing a safety issue?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Do you really expect the bus driver to stop at every stop and ask the people standing there on their phones if they were hoping to catch that bus?

• Advertisement

Why would it not be serious? As has been noted, in many other countries the bus stops at every stop on the route.

I know it may seem to make less sense to those used to the system, but if you're not local you wouldn't know and could be left stranded as there are no signs telling you to flag down a bus, and for people in other countries they would be as incredulous to hear that this is necessary as you are to hear that people don't know this is necessary. To someone not Irish flagging down is done for taxis, not for any type of public transport. It would seem almost as ridiculous as having to flag down a train.And buseireann buses usually stop at every stop even if they are used by different routes.

In this country we are so used to being treated like crap for any service we pay for. The onus shouldnt be on a passenger to get a bus to stop, the driver should have a duty to stop and make sure that anyone waiting at the stop gets a chance to board if necessary. Or at least put up signs saying that you need to get up and do a dance to get the bus to stop.

its been explained multiple times why the only sensible system is the one in place

and that its in place in loads of other places.

services in ireland, as a rule, are no better or worse than in most other modern countries and to insist otherwise is a bit......irish

I know it may seem to make less sense to those used to the system, but if you're not local you wouldn't know and could be left stranded as there are no signs telling you to flag down a bus, and for people in other countries they would be as incredulous to hear that this is necessary as you are to hear that people don't know this is necessary

At worst, if you really are from some magical land where bus drivers are psychic, you'll miss two buses, assuming you're a normally intelligent person:

The first one will sail past you while you stand there with your hands in your pockets. You left there, amazed that just by silently thinking "I'd like to get on this oncoming bus", you didn't manage to stop 10 tonnes of metal, glass and uncomfortable seats traveling at 50 km/h.

So the second one comes along. This time, still with your hands in your pockets, you decide to think a little harder about your desire to be inside the bus. Again, though, for some mysterious reason, the bus does not bend to your will. You are sad, confused and alone.

Third bus comes over the horizon. You're anxious this time, with your two previous bitter experiences fresh in your mind. As the bus approaches, you find yourself involuntarily doing something primal. Some kind of ancient wisdom kicks in, like the voice of your ancestors whispering in your ear. You find your hand leaving your pocket - floating as if guided by the wind. Your fingers uncurl. The palm of your hand turns slowly, shaping itself like a paddle-shaped beacon. Your arm outstretches. You're willing the bus to stop, just like before, but this time, you're focusing this will though your limb. Metaphorically, your hand is placing itself in front of the bus - as if to physically impede its progress. Like an out of body experience, you can see yourself from a birds's eye view. You're not in control. Why is my hand moving? What's going to happen? Your focus switches to the bus. it's slowing. It's slowing more. Is this really happening? Yes! It's stopping! The damn thing is stopping! The doors open, like a portal. You retract your hand, looking in amazement at your palm and fingers. They seem to glow with energy. Suddenly you're back in your body. You embark upon the bus. You've never felt so sure in your life. No only is it going to take you to your destination, but it's already taken you on a journey you never expected. From now on, you'll be able to stop any bus. Or taxi. Should one person be allowed to have this much power? Who knows. Who cares. You have it, and you're never going to lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Osborne

phutyle wrote: »
    At worst, if you really are from some magical land where bus drivers are psychic, you'll miss two buses, assuming you're a normally intelligent person:

The first one will sail past you while you stand there with your hands in your pockets. You left there, amazed that just by silently thinking "I'd like to get on this oncoming bus", you didn't manage to stop 10 tonnes of metal, glass and uncomfortable seats traveling at 50 km/h.

So the second one comes along. This time, still with your hands in your pockets, you decide to think a little harder about your desire to be inside the bus. Again, though, for some mysterious reason, the bus does not bend to your will. You are sad, confused and alone.

Third bus comes over the horizon. You're anxious this time, with your two previous bitter experiences fresh in your mind. As the bus approaches, you find yourself involuntarily doing something primal. Some kind of ancient wisdom kicks in, like the voice of your ancestors whispering in your ear. You find your hand leaving your pocket - floating as if guided by the wind. Your fingers uncurl. The palm of your hand turns slowly, shaping itself like a paddle-shaped beacon. Your arm outstretches. You're willing the bus to stop, just like before, but this time, you're focusing this will though your limb. Metaphorically, your hand is placing itself in front of the bus - as if to physically impede its progress. Like an out of body experience, you can see yourself from a birds's eye view. You're not in control. Why is my hand moving? What's going to happen? Your focus switches to the bus. it's slowing. It's slowing more. Is this really happening? Yes! It's stopping! The damn thing is stopping! The doors open, like a portal. You retract your hand, looking in amazement at your palm and fingers. They seem to glow with energy. Suddenly you're back in your body. You embark upon the bus. You've never felt so sure in your life. No only is it going to take you to your destination, but it's already taken you on a journey you never expected. From now on, you'll be able to stop any bus. Or taxi. Should one person be allowed to have this much power? Who knows. Who cares. You have it, and you're never going to lose it.

Thank you driver..

Osborne wrote: »
    Thank you driver..

Oh don't thank me. Thank the collective wisdom of the universe. Like a new-born calf knows how to suckle upon its mother, or an eel knows how to get back to its native river from the Sargasso sea, so too do we know how to stop a bus. If only we listen... really listen...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GBX wrote: »
    Drivers hate people.

Everyone thats had to work with the public hates people (retail etc) . People are ****ing idiots/ignorant/entitled ***** (add more where applicable)

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

How do you know they seen them as many aren't at the stop expect the bus to wait....

The bus runs for those who wait not those that run.....
    Victor wrote: »
    Will it only be 10 seconds? Multiply that 10 seconds by everyone else on the bus.

Is that person running on the road, causing a safety issue?

I'm talking about old people trying to catch a bus, dozens of times I've seen drivers drive off on all kinds of people who were running to catch them, it's basic consideration for other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm talking about old people trying to catch a bus, dozens of times I've seen drivers drive off on all kinds of people who were running to catch them, it's basic consideration for other people.

Maybe it's a frequent route and will only be a short wait until the next bus, maybe the driver didn't see them or maybe it would be dangerous to stop for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

It's entirely possible that they were trying to flag down a bus that doesn't stop at the bus stop they were standing at. People do it all the time.

Oh my god it's PC society's fault.

K bye.

I may be a prick and a bollox and that's fine I accept that I am, but I'm a prick and bollox that's only doing the job as described.

It's in the rules since before even I was bore

Put hand out - bus will stop
    Press stop button or inform driver you want off - bus will stop

If there are multiple routes serving the one stop you must do as instructed as there is no way of us knowing , not mind readers - bus drivers only !

However I am reasonable. If the bus stop only has one route serving it and I'm driving that one and only route , I will stop if someone is standing there, it's common sense to.

If you were on the receiving end of the abuse we get over this type of crap your attitude would be different also.

I've often and other drivers have often being called while on route for not stopping at a stop where there was nobody at and when we asked where we're they we get told "they were sitting in the car across the road waiting" , so again , bullcrap we get from this type of carry on

Also at the airport some months a person was talking to me asking directions to city because they had missed their flight.
    They were sitting at the departure gate or near enough to it and were bet into s video on the iPad with earphones and missed the announcements etc. But that's probably the pilots fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The driver has a timetable to keep. Be at the stop in time or wait for the next one

Advertisement