Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Flagging down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Bus Éireann drivers are 10 times worse in my experience. Most of them are ignorant pigs.

Spitting on them as you disembark is an effective way of expressing customer satisfaction, but should never be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Edgware wrote: »
    The driver has a timetable to keep. Be at the stop in time or wait for the next one

The driver's not going to have a job if the bus has no passengers though.

Even worse is when the driver makes it difficult for a person with reduced mobility to get off the bus.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I always waved down the bus I wanted just seemed the obvious thing to do but is there any notices etc on DB website or at the stops informing passengers that they must wave down the bus they want ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The driver's not going to have a job if the bus has no passengers though.

Not true plenty of routes are not viable as they have poor passenger numbers but still run as theyre subsidised by the state as they are considered socially nessecary for elderly people and the likes
    Even worse is when the driver makes it difficult for a person with reduced mobility to get off the bus.

This is mostly because of inconsiderate parking as a lot of the time people park blocking bus stops etc I haven't seen it done on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

yabadabado wrote: »
    is there any notices etc on DB website or at the stops informing passengers that they must wave down the bus they want ?

No, and why would there be? Are there notices on shoes saying you have to tie the laces before you walk? On bananas saying you have to peel it before eating? On the ocean to say you have to hold your breath before dunking your head in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

phutyle wrote: »
    No, and why would there be? Are there notices on shoes saying you have to tie the laces before you walk? On bananas saying you have to peel it before eating? On the ocean to say you have to hold your breath before dunking your head in?

Maybe because its company policy ,that was my question.

You dont have to do any of the things you mentioned but do you need to wave down a bus for it to stop?
    Banana peel is perfectly edible for example or you can still walk in a pair of shoes with open laces.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Bus Éireann drivers are 10 times worse in my experience. Most of them are ignorant pigs.

Dublin Bus is fine.

It's the passengers that are the c*nts.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Maybe because its company policy ,that was my question.

You dont have to do any of the things you mentioned but do you need to wave down a bus for it to stop?
    Banana peel is perfectly edible for example or you can still walk in a pair of shoes with open laces.

Being less facetious then: Should lifts have a notice on them that you have to press the button to make it come to your floor?

People here are trying to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. There aren’t scores of people stranded at bus stops across the land because they don’t know they’re supposed to signal the driver to stop. Even the OPs wife actually did it, just a little late. We’re actually a fairly intelligent species, all things considered. We can work stuff out ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

It's actually a very good way as it gives the driver time to read the road, time to look out for cyclists etc.

VG31 wrote:
    Although there may be good reasons for this practice, they seem to manage just fine without it in other much bigger cities than Dublin. In Moscow they don't even have stop buttons on the buses, the buses just stop automatically at every stop.

Why do they stop at every stop? Supposing nobody is exiting or boarding? What's the point?

VG31 wrote: »
    In Moscow they don't even have stop buttons on the buses, the buses just stop automatically at every stop.

In Communist Russia, buses stop you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

bobbyss wrote: »
    Why do they stop at every stop? Supposing nobody is exiting or boarding? What's the point?

Maybe because they don't have buttons.

...I presume the putting the hand out is an unwritten rule. Plenty of drivers take the piss on this. Slow down at the bus stop, make eye contact with a someone standing at the stop and then continue on without stopping because the bus wasn't flagged by said punter, an obvious tourist with suitcase in hand, waiting at a one option bus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bobbyss wrote: »

What you on about I said the system of putting hand out.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

What you on about I said the system of putting hand out.....

I think the OP was referring to Moscow not Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

They always stop for the ladies though which shows fierce sexism......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    They always stop for the ladies though which shows fierce sexism......

I don't....

98% of the time runners are an absolute scourge....
    No ticket, no money, wrong bus, only stopped to ask directions, no ticket or pass or whatever.... Pain in the hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about the abuse..I am glad buses don't needlessly stop at every stop and waste everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is there any reason the driver wouldn't stop if he had been flagged down? I was in Dublin two weeks ago, going to a gig so beforehand, I was sauntering down Thomas Street towards the venue when I noticed a male and a female at the bus-stop I was approaching (they were not together). Then I saw both of them step forward, flag a bus that was approaching behind me, and the bus just hurtles on by.

They looked at each other, confused. It was a lovely sunny evening, traffic was light, they were the only people at the stop, the buss wasn't full, and they seemed to have given the driver enough time. The lad had even stepped out onto the road.

Maybe the driver couldn't keep his eyes off his phone... ;)

Maybe the bus didn't stop at that stop?

Where I get the bus from in town, there's 66/67/25 but the 66/67/25X also goes by but doesn't stop there and there's always some chancer trying to flag the Xs down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

So it's my fault people at the bus stop are too busy staring into their phones to put the hand out ?

I love this, it's never the person's fault and the bus driver is always a prick

The rule is put your hand out or press Bell for bus to stop. It's being like that since the dawn of time. Yet people are the victims and it's never their fault

I think it's great when it happens because j think people are idiots in general and I'm fed up with this PC culture we have going on. I would be happy to move planet if I could

Let me guess, you wouldn’t stop for someone running for a bus if they weren’t at the bus stop in time?? Even though buses seem to run at their own convenience, with no set timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,223 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Let me guess, you wouldn’t stop for someone running for a bus if they weren’t at the bus stop in time?? Even though buses seem to run at their own convenience, with no set timetable.

That's bull tbh.

There will be somebody running for a bus at almost every stop at rush hour.

The driver can't endlessly inconvenience his passengers to cater for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭4Ad

BobMc wrote: »
    Whats the story with busses stopping at bus stops. Why do you need to flag them down ??

Because to Dublin Bus drivers, passengers are a huge inconvenience.

They must be amongst the worst, people ask bus drivers questions as people are unsure of the route, cost etc. especially if you are a tourist or cuchie(me).
    If people knew the answers they wouldn't ask...they aren't taking the piss..
    I used a public bus yesterday in Slovenia yesterday, nearly every tourist asked a question, myself included, both times he couldn't of being more polite..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Dont they have signs on some of the stops indicating to flag the bus down? Im sure Ive seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

4Ad wrote:
    I used a public bus yesterday in Slovenia yesterday, nearly every tourist asked a question, myself included, both times he couldn't of being more polite..

So two tourists then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Bit confused by people saying the bus driver shouldnt have to stop as he has a timetable to keep, or that stopping at each stop would make him late.

Surely the timetable was not configured on the basis of the bus whizzing by each stop without stopping? Or perhaps it was, which is why they are never on time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Bit confused by people saying the bus driver shouldnt have to stop as he has a timetable to keep, or that stopping at each stop would make him late.

Surely the timetable was not configured on the basis of the bus whizzing by each stop without stopping? Or perhaps it was, which is why they are never on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,818 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Last year a group of 5 of us left from my house to go to a match in town on a Saturday, timed it to reach the bus stop a few minutes before the next one was due in order to be sure to catch this twice hourly weekend service.

We live about 5 stops from the terminus, so the timing is always pretty reliable, but as we rounded the corner onto the main road and the bus stop came into sight maybe 100m away, what do I see only the bus approaching to fly past the empty stop about 2 mins before it was even due to depart the terminus.

As it had to pass us, I stepped to the edge of the kerb and pointed at my wristwatch shouting my displeasure, whereupon the brake lights came on the bus and it juddered to a halt just beyond us.

The front doors opened and we bailed on as Dessie Driver says to me 'hang on there, what do you mean by that gesture, who do you think you're being ignorant to?'

Says I, 'if you hadn't left 6 or 7 minutes early at top speed so you could finish to catch the (insert club) game and hope no one would notice, I wouldn't have to be gesturing to anyone, am I right? So lets leave the phonecall to the garage to one side and get on with it shall we? '

Mr Red Handed proceeded without another word.

So, my takeaway is this, for many bus drivers, customer service is an irrelevance and they hate the job. This kills the goodwill for their whole profession and so my expectation is that the bare minimum is about right and so i dont engage with them any more than i would with the postman or binman who come while im at work or the invisible person posting my bills or tallying my toll bridge journeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Last year a group of 5 of us left from my house to go to a match in town on a Saturday, timed it to reach the bus stop a few minutes before the next one was due in order to be sure to catch this twice hourly weekend service.

We live about 5 stops from the terminus, so the timing is always pretty reliable, but as we rounded the corner onto the main road and the bus stop came into sight maybe 100m away, what do I see only the bus approaching to fly past the empty stop about 2 mins before it was even due to depart the terminus.

As it had to pass us, I stepped to the edge of the kerb and pointed at my wristwatch shouting my displeasure, whereupon the brake lights came on the bus and it juddered to a halt just beyond us.

The front doors opened and we bailed on as Dessie Driver says to me 'hang on there, what do you mean by that gesture, who do you think you're being ignorant to?'

Says I, 'if you hadn't left 6 or 7 minutes early at top speed so you could finish to catch the (insert club) game and hope no one would notice, I wouldn't have to be gesturing to anyone, am I right? So lets leave the phonecall to the garage to one side and get on with it shall we? '

So, my takeaway is this, for many bus drivers, customer service is an irrelevance and they hate the job. This kills the goodwill for their whole profession and so my expectation is that the bare minimum is about right and so i dont engage with them any more than i would with the postman or binman who come while im at work or the invisible person posting my bills or tallying my toll bridge journeys.

Be at the stop in time or get the Harvey Smith sign

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bingbong500

Larbre34 wrote: »

That's ONE driver, on ONE day. If you're deciding that "many" bus drivers hate their jobs based on that, cop yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I love nothing more than coming up to a bus stop, nobody leaving the bus and people standing there staring like sheep at their phones as I sail by with a smile on my face knowing they fuc/ked up.

Great job lads

I love doing the complete opposite - pulling up alongside them and opening the door as they stare at their phones. People are so used to grumpy bus drivers who resent the public that anything even remotely helpful or decent completely shocks them.

It's a piss-easy job that pays relatively well - there's no excuse for not being decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I love doing the complete opposite - pulling up alongside them and opening the door as they stare at their phones. People are so used to grumpy bus drivers who resent the public that anything even remotely helpful or decent completely shocks them.

It's a piss-easy job that pays relatively well - there's no excuse for not being decent.

It's called respect.

If they don't have it for us then I don't have it for them.

It's fair game, if they say please and thank you, I will too. Doesn't take much to be nice but it goes both ways, the more you give the more they take and they do take the piss at times !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Edgware wrote: »
    The driver has a timetable to keep. Be at the stop in time or wait for the next one

Timetables :rolleyes:

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/412/

Theres what passes for a "time table" with Dublin Bus. Could you tell me what time the first bus out of Swords picks up at Santry, say the Onmiplex?? They tell you what time it is supposed to leave the terminus and the rest is in the lap of the gods.

Advertisement