Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Flagging down

Options
  • 12-07-2019 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with busses stopping at bus stops. Why do you need to flag them down ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

BobMc wrote: »
    Whats the story with busses stopping at bus stops. Why do you need to flag them down ??

Because a bus will not stop if no one wants to use the stop. There is not always someone leaving the bus at that stop and there may be multiple routes using that stop. Also people wait for people at stop while not intending to use the bus.

Multiple reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Some buses go here, others go there. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

Having to put out your hand for buses seems to be a uniquely Irish/British thing. At least, I've never been anywhere else you have to do it normally.

Although there may be good reasons for this practice, they seem to manage just fine without it in other much bigger cities than Dublin. In Moscow they don't even have stop buttons on the buses, the buses just stop automatically at every stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Because to Dublin Bus drivers, passengers are a huge inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Because to Dublin Bus drivers, passengers are a huge inconvenience.

Bus Éireann drivers are 10 times worse in my experience. Most of them are ignorant pigs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Because people want to get on the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not just an Irish thing.

In France (Nice), you'll be left at stop if you don't put your hand out. There could be half a dozen routes using same stop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Why would you not have to flag it down?? The alternative of it stopping at every stop unnecessarily would be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

A bus stopping at every stop if it has no need to makes absolutely no sense, it increases running time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Birneybau wrote: »
    Some buses go here, others go there. Jesus wept.

After that sending off,I bet he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Simple get your eyes off the phone, have a bit of cop on and let the bus driver know in good time you actually intend on getting that bus....

It's actually a very good way as it gives the driver time to read the road, time to look out for cyclists etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Agreed, this particular stop its three buses routes, Missus didnt realise about the wave, realised a little late
    and flagged driver, while driver did stop, he then proceeded to verbally abuse her at the top of his voice

No need just wondering is it a normal routine, maybe they presume all passengers are local and are aware ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Agreed, this particular stop its three buses routes, Missus didnt realise about the wave, realised a little late
    and flagged driver, while driver did stop, he then proceeded to verbally abuse her at the top of his voice
    No need just wondering is it a normal routine, maybe they presume all passengers are local and are aware ?

It is normal routine, and they presume that but they should have the cop on to realise that there are a lot of visitors about who may not be familiar with the routine. No call for verbal abuse.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Complain to the operator. There's no need for a driver like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Is this a serious question?

You could be waiting for any number of buses that are on that route. How is the driver supposed to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I love watching the surprise on the faces of people that realized they've missed their bus because they were too engrossed in their phone :D

D3V!L wrote: »
    I love watching the surprise on the faces of people that realized they've missed their bus because they were too engrossed in their phone :D
    That would be me. :o
    :p

Is this a serious question?

You could be waiting for any number of buses that are on that route. How is the driver supposed to know?

Sure is, agreed, multiple busses, but not everyone is going to be aware of the procedures, lesson learned, main query was it normal to then proceed and lecture and verbally abuse one who isnt up on the way it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Drivers hate people.

Or stressed out by the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Is this a bash bus driver thread? Twice I've had to stand half in the doors of a bus to stop a driver leaving when there's clearly an elderly person trying to get to the bus, I've seen it happen so many times, can they really not wait 10 seconds?

GBX wrote: »
    Drivers hate people.

They are nice to me!

And me as well when I was in Dublin for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭GBX

They are nice to me!

Oh .. I picked them up wrong so. Carry on

Nope not meant to anyway bash drivers, we use this route few times a year to get bus from near hueston to OLH crumlin,

I've never experienced any hassle, a bit abrupt but I understand being under pressure and stressed,

just a vent at how a simple mistake ended up being a verbal slinging towards someone with a child
    unware of the rules, dont think its too much to ask for simple civility

• Registered Users Posts: 18,031 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Because a bus will not stop if no one wants to use the stop. There is not always someone leaving the bus at that stop and there may be multiple routes using that stop. Also people wait for people at stop while not intending to use the bus.

Multiple reasons.

Yes, the bus driver cannot assume that because you are standing beside the bus stop, that you are waiting for that particular bus. Their only way of knowing is if you put your hand out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

El_Bee wrote: »
    Is this a bash bus driver thread? Twice I've had to stand half in the doors of a bus to stop a driver leaving when there's clearly an elderly person trying to get to the bus, I've seen it happen so many times, can they really not wait 10 seconds?

Places to go. People to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Sure is, agreed, multiple busses, but not everyone is going to be aware of the procedures, lesson learned, main query was it normal to then proceed and lecture and verbally abuse one who isnt up on the way it goes

If that was your main query then why didn't you include it in your opening post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,649 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

BobMc wrote:

The waving motion is affectionately known as 'bus ****' and the person perform the flagging motion is known as a bus wanker.

Next time you are at a bus stop and a fellow passenger flags down a bus, be sure to say 'thank you bus wanker'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The waving motion is affectionately known as 'bus ****' and the person perform the flagging motion is known as a bus wanker.

Next time you are at a bus stop and a fellow passenger flags down a bus, be sure to say 'thank you bus wanker'.

I don't wave, I use the traditional index finger out. It's called bus fingering.

Advertisement