Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Fair due to the lads and particularly Cody for changing the approach it was a great performance we'll need to fix the 3 goals bit but the fight was brilliant a great performance throughout and you'll find no one happier to hold their hands up than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

I thought a few lads came of age a bit today.Leahy in the 2nd half was a big turning point.granted i thought cork downed tools a bit and the ball lawlor mis placed coming out gave the rebels hope.Fogarty i thought was excellent.On wards and upwards i know we conceded alot but as always we hung in and the subs worked.Well done all and hard luck to the minors after an awful first half were vety good in the 2nd half hopefully we'll get to a semi final and keep devolping these lads.Hopefully today gives us confidence.

Surprised and delighted. Didn't think we'd win a shootout. Great to see Richie play well. They'd obviously decided to give him 50 mins but thought they could've left him on for another while as he looked comfortable. Unfortunately you'd have to worry for Buckley, he had a fair limp on him jogging across the field after half time.

Anyway great to get the win.
    I thought taking off hogan cork starred to hurl again i know it was a fast game but had we lost today and hogan sitting on the bench this place would blow up.I would of left him on longer unless he was seriously struggling which he didn't seem to be i know he had that collision with copper and was holding his leg before going off.Hopeflly now we can try get delaney back i think he could make a difference in defence.Maybe eoin cody can go well wednesday night and be a option saturday week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

There was a fellow on here saying that Hogan should be ashamed of himself after I think the game against Galway. I know that there are very few players that I would prefer to be on the ball as Richie ran through to score his goal.
    There is only one person that should be ashamed of themselves and that is the poster who said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Changes at half time all worked today.leahy to midfield made a big difference(I would of had him off)wally excellent when he came on also fogarty to centre back.all to play for now ,lets take it to limerick.and find out how good they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭mullinr2

blackcard wrote: »
    There was a fellow on here saying that Hogan should be ashamed of himself after I think the game against Galway. I know that there are very few players that I would prefer to be on the ball as Richie ran through to score his goal.
    There is only one person that should be ashamed of themselves and that is the poster who said that.
    That was me. In fairness he was awful against Galway, but my God that was him back to his best today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was surprised to see Richie go off too and I'm not sure if it was right or wrong but the one area he looked tired in, was chasing down the short puckout. The last few short puckouts he chased just before he was called ashore, he looked very leggy. This was the only thing I could spot that would make you sub him. Richie had a great game and showed us all what we were missing up to now. His not being used with 20mins to go, in the Wexford game was one of the reasons I was so disappointed.

In fairness Bill Sheehan did well when he came in and so did Billy Ryan. I was delighted to see Cody use the bench effectively again, especially when you heard the RTE pundits before throwin lauding the strength of the Cork bench, they never/hardly mentioned our bench at all. They definitely didn't seem to think we had game changers on the bench and the lads sure proved them wrong along with every other pundit or expert I heard and read all week. The only prediction I heard who picked Kilkenny was Niall Rigney from Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

brookville wrote: »
    I thought a few lads came of age a bit today.Leahy in the 2nd half was a big turning point.granted i thought cork downed tools a bit and the ball lawlor mis placed coming out gave the rebels hope.Fogarty i thought was excellent.On wards and upwards i know we conceded alot but as always we hung in and the subs worked.Well done all and hard luck to the minors after an awful first half were vety good in the 2nd half hopefully we'll get to a semi final and keep devolping these lads.Hopefully today gives us confidence.

Am I right in saying that the minors have qualified for the semi final. On scoring difference Kilkenny are +4, Galway are +3 and Clare are -7, so regardless of next weeks game we are through.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castlecat

I'm still high as a kite after that 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

Congrats to kilkenny fully deserving winners.We were far too reliant on Horgan .Kilkenny just worked harder all over the field , there half back line was dominant in second half .Ye should give Limerick a good rattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Motivator wrote: »
    The Cork forwards will click tomorrow, last weekend was the perfect game to let them get their eye in. They’ll probably score half what they did last week but they’ll concede an awful lot less too. Nash is going to be the main man for them tomorrow. His quick puckouts are worth 5 or 6 points to Cork in every game and with the movement of their forwards I think Kilkenny won’t be able to live with them. They’re just fitter, smarter and better all over the pitch.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Cork will hurl that Kilkenny team up & down Croke Park. Cork by 6+

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The Cork forwards will click tomorrow, last weekend was the perfect game to let them get their eye in. They’ll probably score half what they did last week but they’ll concede an awful lot less too. Nash is going to be the main man for them tomorrow. His quick puckouts are worth 5 or 6 points to Cork in every game and with the movement of their forwards I think Kilkenny won’t be able to live with them. They’re just fitter, smarter and better all over the pitch.

:pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:
    I was really looking forward to seeing someone quote that spoofer. Needless to say we won't be hearing from him again until we lose, not one for holding his hands up when he's wrong.

Agree with the general consensus on Hogan, he was shaking his head coming off, clearly he felt he had more to give. Was a little doubtful of Sheehan coming in but when himself and Ryan started playing off each other it was amazing how well it worked and how few answers Cork backs had (said they didn't mention our bench, they actually specifically said our bench was where our weakness would ultimately show).

Personally I had a good feeling when I saw the team they selected. Was wary of the full back line and they do have a lot of improving to do there, clearly cork targeted them, but there half back line stood up very well. But really what was outstanding was the midfield play especially from Fogarty who had his best game in years.

Have to think Donnelly should have been playing all championship. Wally had his best game in ages, probably not a bad idea benching him! Amazing to think tj didn't score from play, in fairness he was well man marked, but he did serious work to create opportunities for others, showed serious selflessness and patience given it wasn't going to be a star turn for himself.

Cork made a lot of mistakes, bad wides and a really atrocious puck out all day, and their backs were just not up for a battle at all, so it's fair to say Limerick will be a big step up. But given how low expectations of us were coming into today it's still a big statement have, and taking big steps up is what it's all about. Hon the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Nice win for us today. 6 pt margin flattered Cork though. We were easily at least ten pts better than Cork today. The reason we weren’t was that excuse for a referee, Owens. I can only presume the freedom of Cork is on it’s way for that ridiculous display.
    I wouldn’t hold out hope but whoever is assessing his performance shouldn’t let him ref a go game let alone senior inter county after today.

TJ got fouled for practically every puck out, nothing. He had his helmet pulled, no sanction. Fennelly fouled all day by Cadogan, ****all. Cooper tries to take the head off Hogan, only a yellow. He let Horgan take nearly 10 steps for his 3rd goal at s crucial time when Cork were practically dead and buried. He gave Alan Cadogan so many frees it became a bad ****ing joke. We’ve had some ****ing dopes ref us down the years but today took the biscuit.

On us, Fogarty and Murphy will have silenced some lads on here today. Browne brought great energy to midfield. On Hogan, though he played well, it was hardly vintage. He had just gotten treatment before he went off. He’d also given up a chase just before he got pulled. Donnelly had two incredible touches in the first half. The first was a pass for a score. The second was a lightning quick lift and strike for a score. Fennelly had Cadogan in all sorts of trouble all game. Wally was back near to where he should be. Ryan looked hungry and lively.

The narrative appears to be, Cork underperformed, Limerick will be too much for us. Good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,506 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Comhghairdeas lads and lassies. Better team on the day. Cork can have no complaints.

The save by Eoin Murphy from Cadogan was vital, a second goal so early would have set Kilkenny back a lot. The workrate at the start of the second half was immense as KK turned over a lot of ball. Delighted for Billy Ryan, I thought at the start of the year he would nail down a place in the team and hopefully he will next year. Bill Sheehan did well to get on ball, could be more clinical. Richie Leahy did a lot of good things. If he can learn to make better use of the ball, he can be a very good player.

The save by Eoin Murphy from Cadogan was vital, a second goal so early would have set Kilkenny back a lot. The workrate at the start of the second half was immense as KK turned over a lot of ball. Delighted for Billy Ryan, I thought at the start of the year he would nail down a place in the team and hopefully he will next year. Bill Sheehan did well to get on ball, could be more clinical. Richie Leahy did a lot of good things. If he can learn to make better use of the ball, he can be a very good player.

If bill could improve his striking he could be a serious hurler.A nightmare to mark and has a bit of speed and great appetite for work.He has filled out a nice bit from last year so hopefully he can stay improving.Agreed that save from cadagon a huge moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The_Ghost

Absolutely delighted with that today. We always play with heart and never give up but today we played with a spirt and belief that we could win the game and we didn’t wait for cork to go ahead before we started hurling. Lawor giving away that handpass in the second half led to them scoring 1-3 in a row but we stood up and never panicked. The forwards were very good today. Mullen worked hard and set up the goal and took the right option. Tj was tj hogan showed class is permanent. Colin very good again setting up scores and Walter making a big difference. Leahy and Maher again showed they can play together Richie was brilliant at midfield. I was one of the lads to criticize fogerty but today he was brilliant, man of the match for me. Paul Murphy also much better. Eoins save was vital and what a save it was. Some serious bottle was shown today to respond to the Leinster final defeat. Lads stepped up today like billy Ryan donnolly (who is so classy) leahy and Mullen all hurled well. Paudie Walsh struggled on cadegan but I thought 2 of those frees were harsh. Just delighted. On a separate note how class of a hurler Horgan is, he may have took a lot of steps but that 3rd goal was brilliant. Progression from last year and a chance to knock out the current champions in a game where we will be underdogs again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

citykat wrote: »
    Nice win for us today. 6 pt margin flattered Cork though. We were easily at least ten pts better than Cork today. The reason we weren’t was that excuse for a referee, Owens. I can only presume the freedom of Cork is on it’s way for that ridiculous display.
    I wouldn’t hold out hope but whoever is assessing his performance shouldn’t let him ref a go game let alone senior inter county after today.

TJ got fouled for practically every puck out, nothing. He had his helmet pulled, no sanction. Fennelly fouled all day by Cadogan, ****all. Cooper tries to take the head off Hogan, only a yellow. He let Horgan take nearly 10 steps for his 3rd goal at s crucial time when Cork were practically dead and buried. He gave Alan Cadogan so many frees it became a bad ****ing joke. We’ve had some ****ing dopes ref us down the years but today took the biscuit.

Enjoy the win, have a day off though. When you're giving out about referees after every ****ing game, you have to ask yourself can it always be them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Enjoy the win, have a day off though. When you're giving out about referees after every ****ing game, you have to ask yourself can it always be them?

The RTE presenters and the commentators were brutal. Before and during the match they could only see one team and I am afraid to say the same goes for many neutrals. Kilkenny do suffer deicrimination due to their own success over the recent past.It is part of the Kilkenny hurling world at present. It may not be intentional but it does exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

How's your holiday going? Bored yet? At least the ladies are giving ye something to cheer about.

To be fair, I would not have any crib with the referee today. Decisions went both ways. Looking at the highlights, there was no reason for Paul Murphy to foul for the penalty as we had plenty of men back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

To be fair, I would not have any crib with the referee today. Decisions went both ways. Looking at the highlights, there was no reason for Paul Murphy to foul for the penalty as we had plenty of men back

Fairplay, an honest man. Enjoy your win, ye are never bet in fairness. That was some demolition job the first 20 mins of the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭kk.man

What stuck me about today's game was confirmation that Adrian Mullin is some find.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kk.man wrote: »
    What stuck me about today's game was confirmation that Adrian Mullin is some find.

I was in Croke pk gor the club finals, that day in my opinion was the day he put his hand up excellent player

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Anyway, back to the important issue... Did Richie Reid leave the panel a couple of weeks ago? And did Cody ask him to come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Fairplay, an honest man. Enjoy your win, ye are never bet in fairness. That was some demolition job the first 20 mins of the second half.

Though spectacular and not taking from a fantastic display by Horgan over the course of the match yet he took a minimum of 7 steps and a maximum of nine before striking the ball..To allow that goal at this level is disgraceful. Kilkenny officials have a duty to highlight it and supporters have a right to comment on it. It could have cost us this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kk.man wrote: »

I was in Croke pk for the club finals, that day in my opinion was the day he put his hand up excellent player

I was in Croke pk for the club finals, that day in my opinion was the day he put his hand up excellent player

Infairness mullen came with a huge reputation minor a few year's he was racking up huge scores.Huge transition we know from minor but for his first season and since the galway match he has being fantastic.eoin cody looks a classy inside goalscoring foward something we haven't produced in a few years hopefully he can make the transition.Colin playing the best hurling of his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Seriously!! James Owens doesn't call steps. And I thought Kilkenny fans would know that after he let Ger Aylward take 52,000 steps to score a goal against Galway. But I guess it's only when people are sinned against is it a serious issue that "could of cost us this game" when it goes in your favour it's more "ah it evens itself out sort of thing"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement