Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He says that CPU-Z shows the true voltages, which for me are a constant 1.41 on desktop doing nothing, and clocks rarely, if ever even, go below 3.6Ghz.

I have the latest chipset drivers, bios, have tried Ryzen/windows balanced modes, but nothing changes it.
    This sounds awfully like a poor contact with the heat sink to me.

It's definitely not. I've remounted it just to make sure, it's installed correctly. It's the fact that it's for some reason locked at high voltage and core speed all the time is causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Select MSI x570 mobos come with a free Coolermaster watercooler on Scan

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/msi/i-love-you-3000-ryzen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

.G. wrote: »
    Select MSI x570 mobos come with a free Coolermaster watercooler on Scan

https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/msi/i-love-you-3000-ryzen

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-drops-functions-from-bios-of-amds-300-and-400-series-motherboards-to-support-ryzen-3000.html
    Did I hear that MSI fcuked up with their x570 boards? They used 16MB eprom instead of a 32MB. Mightn't mean much though if you're going with the new AMDs.

Yeah read that but its the older boards that don't have big enough eprom to maintain compatibility with all the ryzen CPUs so if you go x570 you'll be good. Not just MSI either. First gen compatibility gets removed on the older boards to allow the new cpus to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's only Bristol Ridge being removed on some so even at that 1st gen support is still there.

B450M Mortar. Got some spare RAM sorted and the board has a flashback function so updating bios was pretty painless.

Ryzen is behaving oddly though. High idle voltages, cores reving for no real reason, temps quite poor. Inclined to think the beta bios is at fault.

Also experiencing regular sharp FPS drops in games (from 120 to 30), though I don't have time right now to look into it properly.

Did you update with the CPU in situ on on a 'naked' board? What size USB stick did you use. Just trying to prempt some of my own issues of you don't mind me asking.

I had the CPU already installed and system fully built, just used a 16GB usb3 stick. Had to rename the bios file to 'msi.rom' but other than that it genuinely was a painless procedure to be fair and only took a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Quick question lads.
    What's with the flash bios ?
    I've got a b450 tomahawk and ryzen 3600 on the way
    Will I have to do this bios flash too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Seems some Asus bios updates on X470 and B450 motherboards have uncovered pce 4 compatibility.

Anyone come across any 3800x reviews in the wild?

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Quick question lads.

Yep. It won't work out of the box.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's a third party seller and it's not fulfilled by Amazon. I'm pretty sure if anything goes wrong with those parts you won't be able to deal with Amazon. That would put me off.

Plus you can get a 3700x and 32GBs of ram for less than £500 on Amazon. That gives you a few hundred quid to get a motherboard and still come in cheaper than that Intel bundle.

Think I'm going to take Terrors advice and ignore the new shiny thing upgrade bug and stick with my 6700k, throw my money at a 2080 super or ti. Will still upgrade my son's pc though, probably with a 3600, that should do him a long time.

When are Ryzen 4000's out? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anyone come across any 3800x reviews in the wild?

No. Something odd going on with that part. No reviews, no availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Coyler

Quick question lads.

Just an FYI

The Gamer Nexus video above mentions boards with the Flashback button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Coyler wrote: »
    Just an FYI

The Gamer Nexus video above mentions boards with the Flashback button.

Might be worth sticky'ing that post for users for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Yep. It won't work out of the box.

Why won't it work?
    Sounds kinda messed up

Why won't it work?
    Sounds kinda messed up

Only X570 has native Ryzen 2 support. Soon there'll be lower class chipsets too but for now it's the only one.

The older chipsets work, but need a bios update to recognise the new CPUs as they obviously pre-date them.

The difficulty for most people is that most of those boards don't have a flashback function, so you physically need another compatiable CPU to update the bios, which is a pain.

• Advertisement

Why won't it work?
    Sounds kinda messed up

Before Intel started this "new processor, oh that'll be a new board then too" malarkey it was perfectly normal to have to update the BIOS to get new processors to work. It's actually something AMD should be aplauded for, they've had 3 generations launch on one socket and will probably have a 4th, fingers crossed.

If in doubt MSI are updating their boards and they will carry the 'MAX' moniker to show they have a bigger EPROM for the larger BIOSes and support for Ryzen 2 out of the box.

A few teething issues being reported for sure. Seems Ryzen launches are a bit like Star Trek films the even numbered ones fair a bit better.

There's a new MSI BIOS out next week afaik.

Really looking forward to doing my first AMD build next weekend now. The itch shall be scratched.

There's a new MSI BIOS out next week afaik.

I hope they update the B450 Mobos at the same time. Good to see someone else pairing a 1080ti with a 3600 :D

I hope they update the B450 Mobos at the same time. Good to see someone else pairing a 1080ti with a 3600 :D

I think they will be a good match.

Hoping to nab some new RAM on Monday at a good price for Prime Day.

Such an excited little flower! Stuff has all arrived up da north. Going to pick it up tomorrow. Like a kid at Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

sugarman wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a B450 ITX board?

Thinking of picking up a 2600 given theyre sub €120 now with the intention of upgrading to a 3600/3700 in the future.

In the video a few posts back, they said that you may be better off getting a 200 euro x570 board, for the price they're as good as the old boards.

Sorry, jumped the gun with that post! I think the video back a few posts will suggest boards in all ranges.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Hardware unboxed did a great video on b450 perf. Basically about 1/2% perf loss on them on ryzen 5 and 7 but avoid ryzen 9 CPUs on them. Perf is quite erratic.

Anyone point me to a cheap 16gb ram kit to pair with a 3600 on an msi b450 board for my sons pc. I keep reading ryzen is very particular when it comes to ram so not sure what to get.

Preferably on amazon as they're the only ones with the boards in stock. OCUK only ones with the cpu but Ram seems quite expensive with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Anyone point me to a cheap 16gb ram kit to pair with a 3600 on an msi b450 board for my sons pc. I keep reading ryzen is very particular when it comes to ram so not sure what to get.

Preferably on amazon as they're the only ones with the boards in stock. OCUK only ones with the cpu but Ram seems quite expensive with them.

Get a Prime trial and wait for tomorrow :)

Advertisement