Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Navi Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Any news about pricing of upcoming partner cards? I'm torn between 5700xt and 2070S but cant imagine getting the blower one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Arctic Cooling confirms cooler compatibility with AMD's Radeon RX 5700 series.

That's REALLY good considering you can get a Twin Turbo II for £33 (I actually have 1 spare - long story).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

So gonna upgrade to a 5700 when the AIB cards are released and finally retire my RX480 which has been a great little card tbh running 1080p 60. It's paired with a 7700 and hoping with the new card to move up to either 1440p 60 or 1080p 144. Which would be the best choice with these and will my 7700 handle either ok?.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Joshua J wrote: »
    So gonna upgrade to a 5700 when the AIB cards are released and finally retire my RX480 which has been a great little card tbh running 1080p 60. It's paired with a 7700 and hoping with the new card to move up to either 1440p 60 or 1080p 144. Which would be the best choice with these and will my 7700 handle either ok?.

Your 480 was probably good enough for 1080/144 for some games at least. Why not go for 1440/144? I would say the 7700k/5700 is more than capable enough.

You don't need to get 144 in every game. You won't in most. Anything around 100 is great though compared to 60.

The combination of higher res and frame rate will look amazing compared to 1080/60. I remember being blown away by it at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

BloodBath wrote: »
    Your 480 was probably good enough for 1080/144 for some games at least. Why not go for 1440/144? I would say the 7700k/5700 is more than capable enough.

You don't need to get 144 in every game. You won't in most. Anything around 100 is great though compared to 60.

The combination of higher res and frame rate will look amazing compared to 1080/60. I remember being blown away by it at first.

Would 27" be the minimum for 1440/144?. I sit pretty close and 27 might be a bit too big.

• Advertisement

Joshua J wrote: »
    Would 27" be the minimum for 1440/144?. I sit pretty close and 27 might be a bit too big.

I have a 27" 1440p/144Hz and it's just about perfect TBH

• There aren't many 1440p monitors under 27" anyway. 27" would be the way to go.

Navi's image sharpening option and how it stacks up vs DLSS.

Works just as well if not better while costing very little frames.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There aren't many 1440p monitors under 27" anyway. 27" would be the way to go.

I did notice quite a few 25" 1440p monitors in the past. Not sure if they're still a thing though.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    MSI RX 5700 XT -
    Pricing mistake?

Just checked the AMD site. Wow, Rx5700 is 310€ and Rx5700XT is just 354€. Shipping 20€, can get it lower with parcel or addresspal. Hmm i'm tempted, with the news that old Arctic coolers fit I wouldnt need to wait till August/September.
    Edit:
    Scratch that.... Show the price without vat...

• Advertisement

RX 5700 XT undervolt

No idea who this lad is though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Having to return my 5700XT, it's a mess. Some games working fine, others crashing, others stuttering and hitching regularly. Makes competitive play impossible.

Updated to new drivers today, slightly better but still a problem. Decided to send it back and just get a 2070 Super instead.

Having to return my 5700XT, it's a mess. Some games working fine, others crashing, others stuttering and hitching regularly. Makes competitive play impossible.

Updated to new drivers today, slightly better but still a problem. Decided to send it back and just get a 2070 Super instead.

That's a shame, was hoping to pick one up next month.

Very disappointed. Wanted to support AMD, I'd have no problem with sub-par performance or whatever while things were ironed out, but the 5700XT is hands down the worst launch card I've ever used. Maybe it's just bad luck in terms of the specific games I play, but it's not even usable. I know it's not faulty because it runs through benchmarks and some games perfectly.

Got the Palit 2070S Super Jetstream instead. £140 more for marginally better performance which stings, but not really any other alternative.

Very disappointed. Wanted to support AMD, I'd have no problem with sub-par performance or whatever while things were ironed out, but the 5700XT is hands down the worst launch card I've ever used. Maybe it's just bad luck in terms of the specific games I play, but it's not even usable. I know it's not faulty because it runs through benchmarks and some games perfectly.

Got the Palit 2070S Super Jetstream instead. £140 more for marginally better performance which stings, but not really any other alternative.

Shame to hear that. I'm in the same boat, was thinking about getting the 5700XT. The whole situation with poor premiere of new Amd Cpu/Gpu lineup makes me move more towards 2060/70 super.
    If I may ask on what games You had problems?

Is this a common problem or did you get a faulty card? I have't see anything about it from the usual outlets.

If it was a widespread problem certain Nvidia fanboy community's would be leaping all over it as a stick to beat amd with.

Did you properly remove all older drivers?

Yes, I've found a lot of people online with similar issues, Apex Legends is a main one. Again, it's not all games - some seem to work perfectly, others are constantly hitching, some crash. Can run Furmark all day with no issues. I tried undervolting, underclocking, etc.

Updated to the newest drivers released yesterday, it was slightly better, but still hitching a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,979 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yes, I've found a lot of people online with similar issues, Apex Legends is a main one. Again, it's not all games - some seem to work perfectly, others are constantly hitching, some crash. Can run Furmark all day with no issues. I tried undervolting, underclocking, etc.

Updated to the newest drivers released yesterday, it was slightly better, but still hitching a lot.

Yep, AMD's forums are full of problems.

Not as a told you so but you pretty much get this every time a new graphics architecture gets released. Even Nvidia forums are flooded with driver bugs for new generational releases, maxwell/pascal/Turing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Hmmm seeing some rumors today of "Navi 12" maybe this year.

Might be something worth looking at till we get to Navi 20

• Advertisement

Yeston RX 5700 XT

yoqebbr3xid31.jpg

xv8tiym3vod31.jpg

WOOF WOOF

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Looking at this thread for the first time in ages.

STAHP

Last one I swear.

4t8tma1vctd31.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I can't find the video in question, but I remember watching Linus Tech Tips do a review of some weird Chinese sourced GTX 1060 and the card was fake as hell. It showed up in Windows as a 1060 but couldn't be seen by Nvidia drivers and the performance was abysmal.

Yeston are a legit company, the fake ones tend to be unbranded and blatantly fake, can spot them a mile away. Usually GTS450/250/GTX550 class cards with hacked bios described as everything and anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Venom wrote: »
    I can't find the video in question, but I remember watching Linus Tech Tips do a review of some weird Chinese sourced GTX 1060 and the card was fake as hell. It showed up in Windows as a 1060 but couldn't be seen by Nvidia drivers and the performance was abysmal.

Its common for fake cards on ebay to be like a 950 rebranded as a 1060 and the bios changed to hide the fact its actually an 950 (Used 950 as an example).

Yeah, they're counting down to ChinaJoy 2019 - expect a ton of cards to be unveiled in the next 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Yeah, they're counting down to ChinaJoy 2019 - expect a ton of cards to be unveiled in the next 3 days.
    I never heard of this convention, does much interesting stuff ever come out of it?

• Advertisement

The XFX card looks great! :eek:

Custom-XFX-Radeon-RX-5700-XT-3.jpg

Advertisement