Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace has passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rest easy Brendan.

You brightened up some very dark times in this country.

You made thousands upon thousands of ppl laugh over your career.
    And he sang the Safe Cross Code song. Millions of children learned to safely cross a road because of his voice

https://youtu.be/PEssgMQ1O_k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So sad, may he Rest in peace.

On a side note, some people need to watch how they use social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

RIP Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Akrasia wrote: »
    And he sang the Safe Cross Code song. Millions of children learned to safely cross a road because of his voice

I just loved that song. It took me years to realise it was him but the voice is so distinctive.
    I saw him do a lovely show in the US back in 2004 I think. Quite a singer..
    He was an institution in this country. May he RIP..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭gifted

RIP. Always found him funny, a real loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Absolutely smashed it on Father Ted....

Pity he didn't get to do his tour and I'm sure it's a shock to all.

R.I.P and condolences to family and friends.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

He went quiche

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Remember going to see him in Kilross with my parents when I was a nipper, he had some presence! RIP Bottler.

Sad to hear that Noel Whelan (barrister, journalist) has also died.

I'm sure Noël would be glad that, if he really had to go, he went "with Grace."

Life can be cruel. RIP to them both.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

There's no F in duck.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Sad to hear that Noel Whelan (barrister, journalist) has also died.

I'm sure Noël would be glad that, if he really had to go, he went "with Grace."

Life can be cruel. RIP to them both.

Shocked by that, you'd always see him on tv.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Brendan was a brilliant comedian and a fine singer too. My thoughts are with his family now. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I didn’t know that. Mind = blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

RIP funny man. Thanks for the laughs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Omg that's sad. He was Irish comedy before Father Ted. RIP Brendan.

His bilingual version of Delilah was brilliant. He had a lovely singing voice. Rest In Peace, Brendan/Bottler. Thanks for the laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP to a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Rip Bottler. You will be missed.

One of the very few comedians that was funny without the need for profanity.

Roight!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I never knew that was him. A lovely man by all accounts. RIP Brendan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Teacher: Name the first woman....Give us a clue....Apple..... Granny Smith!

R.I.P. Brendan. Thanks for the laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

As a child in the 70's, I am sad to hear of the death of everyone's classmate, 'Bottler'.

Brendan's LP records were like gold dust and we circulated them around classrooms between pupils so we could all record a copy (home taping is killing music!). His routines were part of our childhood and it made us laugh out loud in some dark days for our country with violence in the north and south hitting the headlines daily.

He was also responsible for the most memorable Irish 'jingle' of all time... The original recording of 'The Safe Cross Code' song. 45+ years later and I can still remember every word. It must be the most effective road safety campaign of all time.

I hope his family will find some comfort in the high regard that Brendan was held, by all of us.

Fond memories, rest in peace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sad news. Have good memories of seeing him in Tramore many years ago. RIP.

Was reading the TV guide earlier (paper version, checked it online too) and saw this, RTE 2 at 9pm tonight. Maybe we could all tune in.
    New Jack City
    Father Jack is hauled off to the local old priests' home to be treated for a strange medical complaint. He is replaced by a younger man - who proceeds to drive everyone crazy by playing jungle music at ear-splitting volume for hours on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,346 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

The first comedian that I got into when I was young. I'll never forget his "No F in duck" joke as it was one the first ones I heard.

I was fortunate enough to have seen him numerous times over the years and even got to meet him in Cork Opera House.

Condolences to his family, RIP Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

FA(R) QUEUE

Do you want to come out here and say that to my face.

RIP to a great comedian, as others have said he didn't have to go into the gutter to try to be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Teacher: What is a Hebrew?
    Bottler: A male teabag.

Teacher: What would you find in Ancient Greece?
    Bottler: Ancient Chips!

:D:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Teacher : Who invented the thermometer?

Bottler : Freddie Mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One of the few Dubs most country people really took to as one Dub said to me this morning.
    And I wholeheartedly concur.

Growing up in 70s/80s he was one of the few funny people that RTE would have on.
    And yes some of the comedy might be seen as tame, but you know what he could make you laugh.

Also loved his rendition of The Dutchman, almost as much as that other great Liam Clancy.

Also who could not like ...

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

RIP Brendan, will always be remembered by me for the line "If you ever say that to me again, I'll put your head through the waaallll" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

His bilingual version of Delilah was brilliant. He had a lovely singing voice. Rest In Peace, Brendan/Bottler. Thanks for the laughs.

I wasn’t a fan overall, but I did like that. “She stood ag gaire, I felt the scian im my
    Lamh and she gaired no more”

Advertisement