Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace has passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

How do you get a one-armed Kerryman out of a tree?
    Wave at him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i was just thinking today how much i hated the character of fr stack that he played in fr ted.
    the character was so unlikable and creepy and he was mean to dougal:(

loved brendan grace though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The last year or so TV3 would play a full show of Brendan's each bank holiday weekend, I hope they continue this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

i was just thinking today how much i hated the character of fr stack that he played in fr ted.
    the character was so unlikable and creepy and he was mean to dougal:(

loved brendan grace though:)

I think that is partly what made the character so good - I hated the character too but he played it brilliantly - the complete opposite to the characters he played on stage.

He used to do ads for the old Wax Museum in his Bottler voice, referencing the chamber of horrors

• Advertisement

Are you dancing?
    No, I'm holding down a loose floorboard!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

branie2 wrote: »
    Rhubarb tart!
    SirChenjin wrote: »
    No more rhubarb tart :D
    FFred wrote: »
    Ham Sammwich ...
    White bread or brown bread?

i don't get the rhubarb tart gag....someone please explain

Are you dancing?
    No, I'm holding down a loose floorboard!

:D
    I had forgotten that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭amovingstatue

• Registered Users Posts: 85,113 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought RTE would show / stream the funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

RIP

"Now this wedding today is costing me a fortune and i'd like to call upon the chef - to come out AND FACE US"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭paconnors

Take from RTE News

Delivering the eulogy Brian Keane, who was Grace's tour manager for 37 years, said he was his humorous, kind and brave self as he approached death.

He said when he asked Grace if he could do anything in his final days Brendan said "yes".

He asked him to set up a merchandising table at the back of the church to sell the rest of his DVDs and to give the priest a 20% cut.

He also said Brendan asked him to ask the funeral directors to invoice him for chauffeuring services rather than funeral services so he could claim back the VAT.

I was going through the Bible looking for loopholes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Neither varadkar or higgins could be bothered turning up. Aides des camp my hole. Disgraceful.

They probably had prior engagements; that's why they couldn't come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It’s the combination of mirthless laughter and the death stare with the dispassionate tone. Chilling. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,113 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Neither varadkar or higgins could be bothered turning up. Aides des camp my hole. Disgraceful.

I'm guessing not enough gay or high media worldwide attention for Leo :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Fast Twitch

This year is turning into a 2016 for deaths. More home grown well known people than International. Last week alone with Brendan, Noel Whelan and now Karl Shiels.

And before that, Tom Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭amovingstatue

UrbanFret wrote: »

To quote Bottler: Everyone knows St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland... but he missed Leinster house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

It’s the combination of mirthless laughter and the death stare with the dispassionate tone. Chilling. :)

Frightening!

And he played it with such eerie calm, when he was a fella you'd be used to seeing only roaring and shouting. I couldn't believe it was him - brilliant!

I was reading something he said about why he decided to play it that way. Must see if I can find it again.

It was Brendan Grace, so we all probably expected a lovable rogue character but as Fr Stack he was so creepy and horrible, completely unexpected and brilliantly played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

SirChenjin wrote: »
    I was reading something he said about why he decided to play it that way. Must see if I can find it again.

It was Brendan Grace, so we all probably expected a lovable rogue character but as Fr Stack he was so creepy and horrible, completely unexpected and brilliantly played.

He said in an interview at the time that they producers wanted a loud boisterous character for the role but he decided to play it differently and based it off a priest/ christian brother from his school days. What a character though, I doubt theres many could have done it better..

He said in an interview at the time that they producers wanted a loud boisterous character for the role but he decided to play it differently and based it off a priest/ christian brother from his school days. What a character though, I doubt theres many could have done it better..

Don't want to be pedantic but it was a teacher in his CBS school, lay not brother or priest, and Liberace that Brendan based Fintan Stack on. As he said on the documentary, Brendan Grace Funny Man (2018) repeated last Thursday.

When people die who have acted in either Fr. Ted or a Harry Potter film that's the first thing mentioned. Despite the person having a huge volume of work outside of this. Brendan Laffan's superb work as Fr. O'Sullivan in Strumpet City was barely mentioned. Richard Harris and Alan Rickman, 'Harry Potter' stars again. I find it bizarre.

He was also in Killanaskully as country and western star who turns into a rapper.

He was also in Killanaskully as country and western star who turns into a rapper.

Big Didi!

Formerly known as Big Sean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Frightening!

And he played it with such eerie calm, when he was a fella you'd be used to seeing only roaring and shouting. I couldn't believe it was him - brilliant!

Also, it led to one of Dougal’s best moments: “We’re all going to heaven, lads. Wahey”.

And also

I can see up your trousers, Ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

"'Bye girls!"
    "Pair of w*nkers!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fred Bassett

RIP. Brendan Grace. He gave us many laughs

Advertisement