Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Grace has passed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

His bilingual version of Delilah was brilliant. He had a lovely singing voice. Rest In Peace, Brendan/Bottler. Thanks for the laughs.

That was going through my head over the last few days since hearing he was ill. Cen fath Delilah... :D

Yes he had a lovely singing voice. Loved his father of the bride routine and many many more. He brought smiles and laughter to so many people over the years.

May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jmayo wrote: »
    One of the few Dubs most country people really took to as one Dub said to me this morning.
    And I wholeheartedly concur.

RIP

True. But I've always felt that authentic real deal Dubs such as Grace were often the ones who were most comfortable with their broader Irishness and had no difficulties relating with folks around the provinces. Christy Dignam and Brush Sheils also illustrated this form. They'll play the smallest towns with gusto. Cut them and they bleed navy and sky blue but they never get funny about someone else just because they are not from Dublin (well at least not beyond any jokey sense). Grace was hardcore Liberties and was loved all over the nation. Some contribution over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Very sad news to see this morning. Always made me laugh, and just had a funny way about him!

RIP Brendan
    Brendan passed away most peacefully at the Galway Clinic at 26 minutes past midnight, Thursday 11th July. He did so, surrounded by the profound and everlasting love of his heartbroken family.

Unreal that reports of his passing were in the public domain an hour before he actually passed away. The hunger to announce or spread news like that is incredible..

Sad news. Have good memories of seeing him in Tramore many years ago. RIP.

Was reading the TV guide earlier (paper version, checked it online too) and saw this, RTE 2 at 9pm tonight. Maybe we could all tune in.

RTE 1 is also going to show the documentary about him at 10.15 'Brendan Grace, Funny Man' according to Reddit.

"Passed"?

He wasn't on mastermind.

He died, poor chap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

"Passed"?

He wasn't on mastermind.

He died, poor chap

Oh shut up.

My parents always loved him so we had all of his videos at home over the years, watched many times over.

I think what made the Fr Ted character so funny - in addition to how well he played it of course - it was also the opposite to the type of characters Brendan played in his own shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

A clean funny talented man. And a decent man too.

Sad news.

RIP Bottler.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

His 'drunk father of the bride' sketches were absolutely top-notch. May you rest in peace, Brendan, and thank you for all the laughs.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Passed"?

He wasn't on mastermind.

He died, poor chap

People can't bring themselves to say the 'D' word anymore.

Would have enjoyed his routine as a kid, kind of grew out of it though. He had his audience fair play to him.
    RIP.

• Advertisement

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    His 'drunk father of the bride' sketches were absolutely top-notch. May you rest in peace, Brendan, and thank you for all the laughs.

For sure. The guests who got no meals were the ones who didn't bring gifts :D

'To a lovely girl, to a beautiful boy, I'd love to be there but I'm locked in Mountjoy'...

And that's signed Daddy. :D

xzanti wrote: »
    Oh shut up.

Quality.

I wonder which of our posts are a better tribute to his memory. i think he'd get the humour in mine, yours may be too subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

RIP
    His own comedy wasn't my cup of tea but Father Stack will always be "the kind of thing I like looking at," arguably the best Father Ted minor character.

S02E09-vMZbIH8q-subtitled.jpg

sVuPCLagRJjt.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I saw him as a child and always found him to be hilarious. I only recently watched the documentary about him on TV, it brought back happy memories.
    My parents met him a few years ago and he was so friendly and nice to them.

A man of the people for the people.

Requiescat In Pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

You wouldn’t find Hitler playing jungle music at three o’clock in the morning.

Brendan was larger than life. Another one of the old timers gone who’ll not be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ireland’s best ever comedian

Just one example - his “drunk act” was unsurpassed in all the years I’ve been watching comedy. He was the best in the biz.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,288 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Statue of Brendan should be put up somewhere outside the gaiety along side that other Dublin and Irish legend Luke K

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I woke up at 2am this morning and just checked twitter not knowing anything and say him trending and feared the worst, but could find no official confirmation of it on the usual places. There was one tweet from someone who apparently was his friend and had spoken to Brendan graces daughter. I was listening to morning Ireland at 7am and no mention of it. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I woke up at 2am this morning and just checked twitter not knowing anything and say him trending and feared the worst, but could find no official confirmation of it on the usual places. There was one tweet from someone who apparently was his friend and had spoken to Brendan graces daughter. I was listening to morning Ireland at 7am and no mention of it. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

There was certain aspects to Brendan Grace off stage/screen that were not appealing and anyone that has had dealings with him over the years may attest to.

However I do acknowledge his talent and his passing and that he leaves behind a family, friends and fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Sad news. a really talented comedian,story teller and a decent singer also. RIP Brendan Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Itssoeasy wrote:

The reason for that is that he was still alive when this thread was started.

"Update 10.30am: Tributes have been paid to comedian and singer Brendan Grace, who has died after a short illness. He died at 12.26am on Thursday, surrounded by his family, after being diagnosed with lung cancer 10 days ago, his manager confirmed. He is survived by his wife, Eileen, and their four children."

EDIT: This could be 12.26AM US time but all media are reporting that he dies this morning rather than last night. When I got up this morning around 7AM the only news article stated that it had been confirmed that he didn't die & the rumors from last night were false

Anyway Great talent. I first heard him on LP in the early 70s & I laughed my way through it.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did he die in the US or Ireland?

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭rireland

Did he die in the US or Ireland?

Galway clinic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw him live at the Gleneagle hotel in Killarney in 2001. It was a great night out, he was in top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

68 is no real age these days.

Sad news, another childhood hero gone. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rireland wrote: »
    Galway clinic

That makes sense. So the claims from last night were a little premature. Someone actually changed his Wikipedia page last night (before midnight). The date of death on the page was 10 July. Must have been difficult on the family to receive condolence calls, texts, emails while he was still alive. The joys of social media :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

branie2 wrote: »
    I saw him live at the Gleneagle hotel in Killarney in 2001. It was a great night out, he was in top form.

I regret never going to see him. I remember saying to my folks last Christmas during a repeat of one of his shows that I must try and get to see him sometime.

The closest I got was driving down the street in Killaloe on Paddy's day 2003 and seeing him in the door of his pub dressed as Bottler! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

McCrack wrote: »
    There was certain aspects to Brendan Grace off stage/screen that were not appealing and anyone that has had dealings with him over the years may attest to.

Tell us more.

The dealings I had with him involved an Aunt-In-Law with an intellectual disability, who adored him and met him after every show she attended.

He was ALWAYS very kind and patient with her, despite her being a little bit intimidating and shouting RIGGHHTT and the likes in his face :).

RIP
    That’s my knowledge of the man off-stage/screen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Another good one gone. So many fond memories watching Brendan on the TV.

Only saw him live once at a charity comedy event, he did a 10 min stint and had the place cracking up. The old ones like himself and Neil Tobin were definitely the best out of the lot that night.

RIP Brendan, you will be missed.

Advertisement