Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst miscasting role

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He had a Greek accent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

branie2 wrote: »
    He had a Greek accent
    We don't know what the accent of ancient Greece sounded like.

If I recall correctly the director of Alexander, Oliver Stone, made the deliberate decision to have a load of the Macedonians speak with an Irish accent so as to set them apart from the more classical Greeks like the Athenians.

If I recall correctly the director of Alexander, Oliver Stone, made the deliberate decision to have a load of the Macedonians speak with an Irish accent so as to set them apart from the more classical Greeks like the Athenians.

Yeah, and to have them all sound alike amongst themselve.
    No one would have given 2 fvcks had they had American or Royal Shakespeare Theatre accents

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Similar to Spartacus where the slaves were supposed to be American and the Romans British.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Dana as a traveller girl in Flight of the Doves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Not a movie but i'll throw it out there anyway!

Aiden Gillen as John Boy in Love/Hate.

Simply not believable as a hard man top dog Gangster boss.

I liked him in it.

Purely for the scene where he starts kicking the ****e out of the country garda in a park and an aul wan passes by and he shouts "FLASHER, HES A FLASHER" at her and gleefully goes back to kicking yer man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There was a high school comedy in 2009 called 'I Love You, Beth Cooper' and I swear to god, the 'teenager' main actor looks about 37.

Googled the actor now and he was 28 when it came out. But he looked a lot older. Madness

There was a high school comedy in 2009 called 'I Love You, Beth Cooper' and I swear to god, the 'teenager' main actor looks about 37.

Googled the actor now and he was 28 when it came out. But he looked a lot older. Madness

The actors playing teens in West Side Story were in their late twenties to early thirties, and no-one batted an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

branie2 wrote: »
    The actors playing teens in West Side Story were in their late twenties to early thirties, and no-one batted an eyelid

I think it's more noticeable in this case because everyone else in the cast (who are all not actually teenagers) looks somewhat age-appropriate, so the main actor really sticks out like a sore, wrinkled thumb. It genuinely looks a bit like the Steve Buscemi 'how do you do, fellow kids' meme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Tom Cruise* as Lestat in 'Interview with the Vampire'.

* I think TC is a really good actor through.

I thought he was really good as Lestat. I can see he would have been seen as a risky choice for the role initially but even when I think of the film, I don't think of Tom Cruise, he was Lestat.

Johnny Depp in Blow was miscast imo. It could have been a great movie but idk, perhaps it was the wardrobe that didn't work? Anyway I just didn't take to him in that film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Tommy Wiseau as Johnny in The Room. And everyone else in The Room, including the room itself and the american football they toss around for no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Another example is Chuck Norris in pretty much everything he did. Just cannot take this guy seriously as an actor.

Most modern actors when they do a Western. They do not convince for some reason.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Just tried to give Hereditary a watch.
    Had to turn it off by 5 minutes.

Too much wealthy American tripe for my liking.

Acting seemed awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

So this thread has gone so mental that someone has suggested that the actual film itself (Hereditary) is miscast?!

Toni Collette could've easily been nominated for that performance imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

El Duda wrote: »
    So this thread has gone so mental that someone has suggested that the actual film itself (Hereditary) is miscast?!

Toni Collette could've easily been nominated for that performance imo.

Apologies, wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Jai Courtney - seemed for a while he was attached to everything - he played Bruce willis' son in the last Die Hard, Kyle Reese in the last Terminator, and Captain Boomerang in Suicide Squad.

now, all those films have a lot more problems than just this actor, but I find him utterly devoid of Charisma.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

matthew broderick in Glory, too short too baby faced

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Clooney and Bullock flirting in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Patser

Sigourney Weaver in A Monster Calls, meant to play a dowdy, stern English Grandmother, just stood out as too glamorous (and obviously Sigourney Weaver!!!) for that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Great shout ^

Loved that film though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Tommy Lee Jones in Volcano, what was he thinking, he usually chooses his films well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Jason sudeikas in horrible bosses and we're the Millers.

In the former he plays this ladies man and the cool guy of the group. In the latter, a stoner layabout. Neither suit him. He's not a bad actor but he is more suited to the straight-laced role.

Both films had more problems than just him, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Another example is Chuck Norris in pretty much everything he did. Just cannot take this guy seriously as an actor.

Most modern actors when they do a Western. They do not convince for some reason.

You're doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

fryup wrote: »
    matthew broderick in Glory, too short too baby faced

Great shout, they even had the ideal person for that role, Cary Elwes, alongside him in the movie.

Brilliant movie all the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Similar to Matthew Broderick in Glory, Michael J Fox in Casualties of War. I think Fox threw himself into the role, but it needed a different actor.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Tom Cruise* as Lestat in 'Interview with the Vampire'.

* I think TC is a really good actor through.
    ....... wrote: »
    Wow!

I thought TC completely stole it as Lestat and Brad Pitt was terribly badly cast as Louis.

Its one of my favourite TC roles - because he isnt just playing Tom Cruise IYKWIM!
    I'd agree that he is quite good, but the character he plays in the books is a '6ft tall, French bisexual vampire'.

Tom Cruise doesn't spring to mind as the most apt casting choice.
    JeanL wrote: »
    I thought he was really good as Lestat. I can see he would have been seen as a risky choice for the role initially but even when I think of the film, I don't think of Tom Cruise, he was Lestat.

Came in to post this, they had the casting backward: Pitt would have made an excellent Lestat. Louis should have been more of a pretty boy / feminine character. Thinking back to who was young enough for the role at the time I'd be thinking Brendan Frasier, Jared Leto, Jude Law or Ryan Phillipe.

Antonio Banderas was an odd choice for Armand in that film too. He, like Cruise, worked fine if you weren't familiar with the source material but Banderas would hardly be your first pic when tasked with hiring a cherubic, blonde, 16 year old!

Sleepy wrote: »
    Came in to post this, they had the casting backward: Pitt would have made an excellent Lestat. Louis should have been more of a pretty boy / feminine character. Thinking back to who was young enough for the role at the time I'd be thinking Brendan Frasier, Jared Leto, Jude Law or Ryan Phillipe.

Brendan Frasier? No! :)

Pitt was the more pretty boy/feminine man between them but still masculine. There was a hint of romance in their relationship but it was meant to be more about companionship for vampires. They couldn't go too far on it or else you'd have ended up with something like Twilight.

I think they were both cast perfectly and they were probably the two biggest actors at the time too.
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Antonio Banderas was an odd choice for Armand in that film too. He, like Cruise, worked fine if you weren't familiar with the source material but Banderas would hardly be your first pic when tasked with hiring a cherubic, blonde, 16 year old!

I was going to say if anyone was miscast it was Banderas but I'm not sure if he was miscast or I just don't like the character he plays.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Anything with Idris Elba..he can't act they just shoehorn him into roles to make up the quotient of blacks in movies.

Some fools were even talking about him being the new James Bond..fair enough,I reckon SHAFT should be played by David Hyde Pierce!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

Omackeral wrote:
    Clooney and Bullock flirting in space.

Or more accurately Cloony waffling on annoyingly even after he'd been killed.

Advertisement