Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst miscasting role

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Anything with Idris Elba..he can't act they just shoehorn him into roles to make up the quotient of blacks in movies.

Some fools were even talking about him being the new James Bond..fair enough,I reckon SHAFT should be played by David Hyde Pierce!

Dear oh dear. Have a ****ing word with yourself.

Not a movie but the stage production of "The Field" had Brian Dennehy as the Bull McCabe. Hearing someone say "Go home Yank" in an American accent was pretty surreal.

Other than the accent he was pretty good, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anything with Idris Elba..he can't act !

Funnily enough, I was shocked to find out he was a Brit after watching him as Stringer Bell in The Wire. The man was phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,895 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anything with Idris Elba..he can't act they just shoehorn him into roles to make up the quotient of blacks in movies.
    Some fools were even talking about him being the new James Bond..fair enough,I reckon SHAFT should be played by David Hyde Pierce!

I think you have a minority opinion on that one, as evidenced by his nominations and awards by the Screen Actors Guild, Critics Choice Awards, Golden Globes...
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/awards

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think you have a minority opinion on that one, as evidenced by his nominations and awards by the Screen Actors Guild, Critics Choice Awards, Golden Globes...
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/awards

Garbage awards..and more than likely influenced by some PC bullshiit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Didn't I hear Idris Elba is signed up to play the mermaid in Disneys new live action remake?

More PC nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

branie2 wrote: »
    Julia Roberts in Movies

FYP

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Anyone else thin Arnold was miscast in The Terminator.

He's a huge muscle bound mono tone guy from a post Apocalypse future who's meant to be able to blend in.

CatFromHue wrote: »

He's a huge muscle bound mono tone guy from a post Apocalypse future who's meant to be able to blend in.
    Arnie was mean to play Kyle Reese but convinced Cameron to let him be The Terminator.

Maybe he didn't blend in, but the movie wouldn't have spawned 5 sequels (for better or worse) without Arnies original presence and delivery as an unstoppable machine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I just didn't buy him as a nerdy insecure teenager. And his hair was too poofy :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Brad Pitt in Snatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

woodchuck wrote: »
    Andrew Garfield as Spiderman. I just didn't buy him as a nerdy insecure teenager. And his hair was too poofy :P

Weirdly enough, the same can be said about Tobey Maguire.

AG made a fantastic Spider-Man, but a lousy Peter Parker. TM however made a great Peter Parker, but wasn't great as Spider-Man.

As for The Enbalmer, while you can trot out the agenda stuff, please go watch season 1 of The Wire and tell us again that Idris Elba can't act.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Andrew Garfield was far too cool as Peter Parker. I remember in Honest Trailers for Amazing Spider-Man they had a line that mocked how he was a good-looking, confident, skateboarding... nerd?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Affleck as Batman
    Not a popular opinion but I just don’t like him in the role.
    Wasn’t served by the best writing either. And he visibly has no interest in being there in that last one (justice league?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Brad Pitt in Snatch.
    :confused:

He was great in that.

There's something I read once about Brad Pitt and it's incredibly true. He's a very good character actor cursed with the looks of a leading man. Every time he plays the leading man, the good looking lead or the hero (Troy, Ocean's 11), he's dull as ditch water. But whenever he plays a supporting character, ideally an eccentric one(Snatch, 12 Monkeys), he's great. It really should be the only thing he does. He's John Turturro but he tries to be Tom Cruise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Mousewar wrote: »

He was great in that.

There's something I read once about Brad Pitt and it's incredibly true. He's a very good character actor cursed with the looks of a leading man. Every time he plays the leading man, the good looking lead or the hero (Troy, Ocean's 11), he's dull as ditch water. But whenever he plays a supporting character, ideally an eccentric one(Snatch, 12 Monkeys), he's great. It really should be the only thing he does. He's John Turturro but he tries to be Tom Cruise.

Floyd in True Romance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

He was great in that.

Nail meet head.

He was fantastic in snatch!

He was great in that.

Don't forget Legends of the Fall. :pac:

Fight Club is another one of the good ones.

Dades wrote: »
    Don't forget Legends of the Fall. :pac:

Fight Club is another one of the good ones.

basically any one he gets his top off in aye?

He’s great in burn after reading too.

Actually acting. Believably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Wasn't OJ Simpson in in line to play the terminator? Whatever happened that guy?

He’s great in burn after reading too.

Actually acting. Believably.

Couldn't get into that. Must give it another try.

tusk wrote: »
    Couldn't get into that. Must give it another try.

It’s all very quirky or something. But not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

He was great in that.

Thought he hammed it up badly in 12 Monkeys, was the worst thing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Some of these are just "actors I don't like". The Idris Elba one especially. He wasn't brilliant as Stringer Bell - it was something to do with pc.

Anyway, not a movie but Cuba Gooding Junior as OJ Simpson in an otherwise very well cast TV series. That actually did just seem like "This guy's perfect - he's black!" Despite nothing like the physical stature or voice. Actually Idris Elba would have been ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I've never seen the film but I thought looks wise Kutcher was very close to Jobs

1C5077578-tdy-121205-ashton-jobs-combo.fit-560w.jpg
    Oh the absolute spit. But it seems like that was the only reason for the casting, even though I do think similar physicality is important. Although Al Pacino looks absolutely nothing like the investigative journalist he played in The Insider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

p to the e wrote: »
    Wasn't OJ Simpson in in line to play the terminator? Whatever happened that guy?

Not sure of that but Lance Henriksen (who plays a cop in the Terminator) was the actor Cameron originally had in mind to play the Terminator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Just saw Jack Reacher books are going to be a TV show and wont have Tom Cruise as reacher which is a blessing in a way, but wonder who will get the role.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/tv-series-based-on-lee-childs-jack-reacher-books-in-works-at-amazon-937275.html

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

branie2 wrote: »
    Julia Roberts as Kitty Kiernan in Michael Collins

I actually went to see that film when I was in New York, and Americans coming out of the cinema complimenting her accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Just saw Jack Reacher books are going to be a TV show and wont have Tom Cruise as reacher which is a blessing in a way, but wonder who will get the role.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/showbiz/tv-series-based-on-lee-childs-jack-reacher-books-in-works-at-amazon-937275.html

Alexander Skarsgard would be my nomination - good actor, though not too big a name for a TV role, ie he's attainable. And yes, at six four, he's hopefully tall enough for even the staunchest fans of the books :pac:

Advertisement