Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst miscasting role

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

I like Bana but just because it was not a speaking role didn't mean it needed a certain type of actor.
    Hardy was able to play right along with the mayhem and even his grunting/movements worked in what was being smashed at the screen

Same I like Hardy too but Max is supposed to be a regular run of the mill guy who had this existence dumped on him. A reluctant anti hero.

Hardy is too "action hero" in physique and presence. Thought Bana could have portrayed the grizzled antisocial fugitive/wanderer better. Plus he's Australian, I hate the way they kinda sidelined the Oz setting, slang and mannerisms in fury road compared to the originals. It had such a unique vibe. Now its just generic Hollywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Matt Lucas in polar

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I thought casting Tom Hardy was a mistake for the role of Mad Max. Eric Bana would have been a better fit imo (or even Mels son Milo, seeing as it was mostly a silent role).
    Eric Bana is a good choice, but I thought Hardy was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Tom Cruise* as Lestat in 'Interview with the Vampire'.

* I think TC is a really good actor through.

Same I like Hardy too but Max is supposed to be a regular run of the mill guy who had this existence dumped on him. A reluctant anti hero.

Hardy is too "action hero" in physique and presence. Thought Bana could have portrayed the a grizzled antisocial fugitive/wanderer better. Plus he's Australian, I hate the way they kinda sidelined the Oz setting, slang and mannerisms in fury road compared to the originals. It had such a unique vibe. Now its just generic Hollywood.

Ah but you are lumping your (valid from the original trilogy) view of the character, onto Fury Road.
    Fury Road Max was far more broken and it took the events of Fury Road to bring him back, basically the last few minutes where he quietly walks away, leaving Furiosa to the acclaim.

Max from 3 is also a completely different character to the Max in the original..

For what the director wanted, I think hardy was a very good casting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

John Wayne as a Roman soldier in one of the Jesus films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Small Wonder

Mark Kermode often relays the apocryphal story of one of Wayne's line-readings from that film.

Wayne: "Surely this is the son of God".

Director: "That's great John, but this is the son of God, so let's have a little awe".

Wayne: "Awwww, surely this is the son of God".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Not as bad as John Wayne as Genghis Khan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

For me, Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven.

It was made shortly after Troy was released. How Ridley Scott watched that film and decided that the weedy Orlando Bloom had the chops to play the lead in his new historic epic instead of Eric Bana who was immense in the same film is beyond me.
    I think Scott wanted Russell Crowe to do it but he was already committed to something else. If you want to appreciate just how awful this casting was, you just have to think about Scott's previous film with Crowe, Gladiator, and how brilliantly it did thanks to a strong, authoritative central performance. Both films have the same director and a lot of the same crew but for Kingdom of Heaven, which could have been great, Orlando Bloom just became this black hole into which everything good in the film was sucked. He's just completely and utterly unbelievable as any kind of strong or authoritative character. Hell, Liam Neeson played Bloom's dad in the film - they'd have been far better giving him the lead role.

Mark Kermode often relays the apocryphal story of one of Wayne's line-readings from that film.

Wayne: "Surely this is the son of God".

Director: "That's great John, but this is the son of God, so let's have a little awe".

Wayne: "Awwww, surely this is the son of God".

Here is the iconic moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj8wDtqbiYs

• Advertisement

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Not as bad as John Wayne as Genghis Khan

Can imagine! Didn't know of that role. Will check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Him as Genghis Khan more so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Tom Cruise* as Lestat in 'Interview with the Vampire'.

* I think TC is a really good actor through.

Wow!

I thought TC completely stole it as Lestat and Brad Pitt was terribly badly cast as Louis.

Its one of my favourite TC roles - because he isnt just playing Tom Cruise IYKWIM!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

How about the entire cast of Faircity. Dreadful actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don't know if anyone else agrees but I thought Matthew Goode as Ozymandias in The Watchmen was a bad casting choice.

Never read comics so had no reference point but I liked him. Loved that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Colin Farrell as Alexander the Great

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

branie2 wrote: »
    Julia Roberts as Kitty Kiernan in Michael Collins

And her being cast in that role wasn't even my biggest issue with that whole mess of a film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

For self-sabotage through nepotism, you can't beat Francis Ford Coppola's decision to cast daughter Sophia in Godfather III. Coincidentally, the other example of miscasting I thought of (that hadn't been mentioned) was also in a FFC movie - Keanu in Bram Stoker's Dracula. Terrible idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Stallone as Judge Dredd.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Few good nominations here. Personally, I think I have a hard time with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique in the later X-Men films. She is a fine actress and all but to me she runs any scene she is in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Ralph Fiennes as the romantic lead in Maid In Manhattan opposite Jennifer Lopez. In the same year (2002) he played the serial killer in Red Dragon, and would go on to play Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films. He was great as M. Gustave in Grand Budapest Hotel, but seeing him in a romcom, trying to smile gently ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

El Duda wrote: »

John Wayne as Genghis Khan in The Conqueror

End of discussion. Not only is John Wayne a terrible actor, he was the wrong ethnicity, utterly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

End of discussion. Not only is John Wayne a terrible actor, he was the wrong ethnicity, utterly bad.

John Wayne... Couldn't act the bollox, as we say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

....... wrote: »
    Wow!

I thought TC completely stole it as Lestat and Brad Pitt was terribly badly cast as Louis.

Its one of my favourite TC roles - because he isnt just playing Tom Cruise IYKWIM!

I'd agree that he is quite good, but the character he plays in the books is a '6ft tall, French bisexual vampire'.

Tom Cruise doesn't spring to mind as the most apt casting choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

ziedth wrote: »
    Few good nominations here. Personally, I think I have a hard time with Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique in the later X-Men films. She is a fine actress and all but to me she runs any scene she is in

I thought she was a bad choice originally because having seen Rebecca Romijn in the role Lawrence suddenly made Mystique look sort of heavy set (impossible I know and JL isnt fat, but Romijn just had SUCH an amazing body that anyone would pale in comparison). Lawrence actually did become skinnier as her career progressed but her body just couldnt beat the boob/waist ratio of Romijns body.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

....... wrote: »
    I thought she was a bad choice originally because having seen Rebecca Romijn in the role Lawrence suddenly made Mystique look sort of heavy set (impossible I know and JL isnt fat, but Romijn just had SUCH an amazing body that anyone would pale in comparison). Lawrence actually did become skinnier as her career progressed but her body just couldnt beat the boob/waist ratio of Romijns body.

I 100% agree and I don't mean it in any kind of a negative way because obviously Lawrence is extremely attractive but she does appear to be that less defined than Romijn. Having said that it's far from the only reason. The part was poor to her credit so there isn't allot she could do but nothing was delivered well IMO. The original Mystique was just a much better character maybe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Tom Hiddleston as a Rhodesian Mercenary in Kong:Skull Island.

Oh this is a good one. He's trying to be this smooth rough man's man and he comes across as an obnoxious annoying toff. I think Brie Larson didn't seem too interested in the role either.

The latest X men films seem to be trying their best with bad casting. Oscar Isaac, Olivia Munn, Sophie Turner

ziedth wrote: »
    I 100% agree and I don't mean it in any kind of a negative way because obviously Lawrence is extremely attractive but she does appear to be that less defined than Romijn. Having said that it's far from the only reason. The part was poor to her credit so there isn't allot she could do but nothing was delivered well IMO. The original Mystique was just a much better character maybe.....

Making Mystique a hero/anti-hero was never going to work on screen. Especially as it was supposed to be same universe as original X-Men

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

bnt wrote: »
    Ralph Fiennes as the romantic lead in Maid In Manhattan opposite Jennifer Lopez. In the same year (2002) he played the serial killer in Red Dragon, and would go on to play Lord Voldemort in the Harry Potter films. He was great as M. Gustave in Grand Budapest Hotel, but seeing him in a romcom, trying to smile gently ... :eek:

If he let himself go like in In Bruges it would have been great, "you're a fucking inanimate object".
    TCM wrote: »
    How about the entire cast of Faircity. Dreadful actors.

Is that listed as they're casting people that have no acting experience as actors? If so, yes. There's not a decent actor amongst them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Will Smiths son in the remake of the Karate Kid, dunno what age he was in real life but he looked about 8.

Advertisement